Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default what focus should u buy???

im selling my lr zetec. my next car is going to be a ls focus. now im having trouble deciding wether to get the 2.0l deisel(btw is it turbo or not???) or a zetec???
basicly what i want is a sporty looking car, good on fuel with a bit more go then my lr zetec.
it would be great to hear responces from both deisel and zetec owners.
cheers in advance

4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 AM   #2
Steffo
LPG > You

The 2.0 TDCi is a Turbodiesel yes.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Unless you go an XR5, then the turbodiesel is the one to choose if you want a bit more "go"
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #4
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want a turbo diesel it will have to be a LT Focus not a LS

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Well when I was researching cars to buy I wanted something that was sporty, fast, comfortable and economical all in one so I bought a Focus TDCi and put a bodykit on it. I'm happy to say that it does all those things brilliantly, all I need now is some bigger wheels
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
christo_fiesta

im in the same position as TurboDiesel

I went for a Focus TDCI, am waiting for delivery but have driven one heaps and they are great.

I also need bigger wheels for mine :(
christo_fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
4dlvr
4dlvr

i test drove both today, i can say i prefer the 2.0l duretec over the tdci.
the dealer tried to convince me that tdci has more go but i just didnt see it. their is a slight deisel sound at low rpms but also a nice sound hearing the turbo wind up past 3000rpm.
does anyone have any idea how fats the tdci is over 1./4mile??? and an average figure for 0100km/h??
the 2.0l duratec is mid's 16's and 10-100km in 8 sec. quoted from a ford worker
Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Rhubarb

From memory, the official figures from the ford uk quoted 0 to 100 times as 9.2 sec for the zetec and 9.3 for the TDCi. The Zetec has 7kw more power and weighs a bit less so should also beat the TDCi down the quarter mile but not by a lot.

Significantly however, the uk ford website also quoted some 3rd or 4th gear rolling 50 to 100km/h times and the TDCi killed the Zetec due to torque (320 v 185Nm).

So in "normal" driving conditions, ie under 3500rpm, I would have thought the TDCi would have felt much more punchy. I haven't driven one though.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the Zetec has the same features as a TDCi except it has a bodykit, bigger wheels and obviously the engine is different. the TDCi is the same spec as an LX. Remember it only comes in a hatch were the Zetec comes in hatch and sedan. Pricing should be similar too. I've driven both heaps and the diesel is an amazing ride. sure its a bit noisey at idle but cruising on the motorway its fine. the 6th gear helps fix that. go drive one and the torque will hook you in. don't worry about 1/4 mile times! why is this such a major factor! for what most of us do with a car, which is drive is normally on a road (i said most) you will enjoy the diesel far better. anyway thats my 2 cents!
Old 13-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
Turbodiesel
Torquer

It's the in gear performance that matters, and trust me the TDCi eats the Duratec for breakfast. I find the mountains of torque addictive which makes me want to speed.

Most people who have never driven a diesel before tend to drive them like petrols, you have to change your driving style because the characteristics of the engine are different.

I let a mate of mine who owns an Integra Type R drive my car and he was thoroughly impressed with it.

Also, how many stock petrol cars sound good when they're idling? They all sound pretty similar to me unless it has an exhaust.
Old 14-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #11
4dlvr
4dlvr

i agree that you cant drive the tdci same as a petrol. but i also found that the zetec pulld evenly hard on rolling acceleraration where as the tdci pulld much better say 60 up then it does 30 up.
im now leaning towards the tdci due to almost everyone trying to convince me its the better option, either way both are great cars and extreamly diffrent to my lr zetec.
also i understand that deisel dosent use spark plugs and ignitions etc. so will the only service on the car be the oil???
im only worried because the tdci hasnt been around long enough for customers to find any problems i them yet.
either way ive got until may to make my mind up
Old 14-01-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesel doesn't use spark plugs. They use glow plugs instead! TDCi has been around in Europe for a long time. So maybe jump on their forums and find out what they are experiancing over there.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
Turbodiesel
Torquer

The 2.0 TDCi engine has been tried and tested, that's why I didn't have any hesitations when buying it.

When you drove it you may have shifted to below 1500rpm which is where the turbo comes alive, 1st and 2nd gears are quite short but 3rd is long. 3rd gear from 30km/h will take you all the way to 100km/h no problem.

It's your car though, if you prefer the petrol then by all means go with it. everyone has different taste
Old 14-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Don't get scared of the Zetec though. The petrol Zetec is a great car and probably still my choice. I still prefer winding out a petrol engine than taking multiple short bursts of Turbo Diesel thrust. The Petrol would be quicker off the lights due to slightly less weight, less gearchanges and ultimately a better top end. It's still very economical and a big step forward from the LR.

Remember the TDCi is LX based, thus very plain interior, plastic everywhere and much less satin-chrime. The Zetec gets the bling interior handles and extra chrome bit, and doesn't feel quite as low-rent.
Old 14-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #15
Rhubarb

And don't forget price !!!

If you compare the LX with TDCi (which really means LX petrol v LX diesel), you are paying an extra $4000 (plus taxes) for the upgrade to the diesel engine.

If you decide to go with the TDCi and upgrade it to as near as possible to Zetec spec, ie 17" wheels, bodykit, Stability Control etc, the price gap would be $6k+.

My Zetec has done 16000 kms at 7.8 l/100kms so the fuel economy is better in the TDCi but the petrol is pretty bloody good, and you'd have to do a load of kms to pay back your $4k+ up front for the diesel (on a purely financial basis).

Either way, they are both great cars and you'll no doubt be happy with either.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

With a flash tune you can get more power from a stock diesel than the petrol.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #17
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb
And don't forget price !!!

If you compare the LX with TDCi (which really means LX petrol v LX diesel), you are paying an extra $4000 (plus taxes) for the upgrade to the diesel engine.

If you decide to go with the TDCi and upgrade it to as near as possible to Zetec spec, ie 17" wheels, bodykit, Stability Control etc, the price gap would be $6k+.

My Zetec has done 16000 kms at 7.8 l/100kms so the fuel economy is better in the TDCi but the petrol is pretty bloody good, and you'd have to do a load of kms to pay back your $4k+ up front for the diesel (on a purely financial basis).

half price safety pack is on offer for 07 diesels at the moment remember...
Old 15-01-2008, 01:23 AM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

same as Zetecs
Old 15-01-2008, 01:19 PM   #19
4dlvr
4dlvr

i was talking things through with ford yeaterday. for a tdci with xr5 alloys, and a zetec body kit. is an extra $5000. not worth it imo. and fords finance deals suck. on top of that that offerd me a low $9000 for a trade in for my lr zetec, which is imac cond with under 40k on the clock.
so not happy. atm im thinking of selling the Lr and going for a second hand Ls zetec until i can get a xr5. either way, im getting a new focus
Old 18-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #20
BrisVegas
Noobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb

I would have bought a diesel for sure if they were available when I bought a year ago. But I have no compaints with my Zetec. I've got 26,000kms on it and it's averaging 7.3l/100km. It easily drops to the 6's on purely highway runs. The Zetec interior is quite good and the chunkier alloys and bodykit look much nicer than the LX kit. Couldn't be happier. Hopefully in 2 more years when I'm due to upgrade I'll be able to get a 2.2l diesel with 400Nm of torque and twin-clutch DSG in either Focus or Mondeo.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post