Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-12-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Default Cleaning oil from carpet

Hi all, I think this is the best place to post this

Had some oil spill in my boot and its all through the carpet liner

I pulled it out and gave it a good blast at the carwash. It looks and smells okay now but won't know 100% until it dries out tomorrow

Question is if it still has some oil/smell to it does anyone have any recommendations on how to clean this out any better?

Cheers

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust

Last edited by Oo_xrsx_oO; 17-12-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

put it through the washing machine! umm maybe put a ****load of morning fresh(or your choice of dishwashing liquid)on it with water and let it foam/bubble up and just let it sit there for a bit den wash off. "Maybe". I know thats what i would do, but thats me and things dont always turn out how i expected and always seems to be a better way to do it,but i find out AFTER ive done my idea, go figure
Old 17-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

detergent/degreaser, scrubing brush and then a good blast.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2007, 11:13 PM   #4
oldmate

go to health shop or chemist tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil put bit on cloth and rub it will get most stains out of carpet in the car or in the house
oldmate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cloudy ammonia ...... cant beat the stuff for grease & oil. Don't fret about the smell it dissipates quickly, DON'T smell it to check either .... guaranteed to knock your socks off if you do :P

Do it today though ........ the quicker the better for total removal.

DONT rub it in though, blot it out using an old towel or similar. ie: straight cloudy ammonia on a small area of towelling , blot the stain.

Then to get rid of the smell use eucalyptus, a few drops in a spray bottle mixed with water (the oil of the eucalyptus can stain as well if used straight). This is a great cheap air freshener for any purpose
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:08 PM   #6
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, yeah, if it's really bad, I would've smothered it in truckwash, scrub it with a broom, then blast it off with the gourney. If that didn't get it all, I suppose I'd hire one of those carpet shampooers from Woolworths for $20 and do the rug and you'll have it for a few hours so you could do the whole car too. Kill 2 birds with one stone. Doing all that should get rid of the smell and the stain.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Had it out to dry today and there was still a few greasy patches on the underside so I sprayed the whole thing with degreaser and hosed it down again so hopefully that will do. It came up a lot better than I thought after last night so after the second hit it should be right.

Also used the eucalyptus oil mixed with water in the boot for a wipe down and smell is no problem now, so thanks to oldmate and Mothernature for that tip.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post