Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Falcman0o7
Banned

Default What are your thoughts on the Falcon?

After reading a certain thread the falcon seemed to get a bashing for reliability and built quality, I have had most models up to my present being the AU2 and have found them to be very reliable and (apart from the doors on XD XE XF) to be built quite well also. So....What are your thoughts and experience?
I love my falcons and i'm feeling quite sad over the future of these great cars and the S*#@ they seem to cop.

Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Benjamin Smith

Default Re: What are your thoughts on the Falcon?

****en awesome car, as long as they continue to make it i will have one got my first FG falcon ute not one thing wrong with it all be it 10,000k/ 6 months old. much improvment over my last/first car hyundai excel, not my choice had got given to me for me to pay off.
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
LightingBA

I find that my 04 BA XT is reliable and so comfortable to drive. It is my first falcon and has been almost faultless (apart from some rust around the rear windscreen, however i dont think it is fords fault) for the 3 years that I have owned it, and hopefully another brand new falcon and my first brand new car will follow mid next year.
LightingBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
fordv8!

i agree mate i've had
XE ghia efi great car no problems what so ever
EAII S3.9mpi 5spd the car was great i put new bushes , shocks , lowered springs 2.5inch exhaust and it handled awesome and went hard.......just ask my mates in there 5.0 vp vn etc destroyed them no probs!!! and dad always maintains it pulled harder than their EF xr6 5spd
ED Sprint auto .............aaawww why did i sell you? but seriously the car was awesome and i will buy another again and restore no probs!!
BA xr6 ute work no problems and totally flogged

Parents......
XE spac 82 4spd no troubles 12 years of trouble free motoring till mum pranged and twisted chassis
94 xr6 5spd great car no probs went hard

parents last bought a camry!!!!! dad said he wouldn't but another ford!!!!

i feel "part of the problem" as i have never purchased a new falcon just bought a CRV for misses its a great little car she is studying again ATM so in 18mths - 2yrs i want to buy an XR8 or GT will probably have to be the later it seems
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #5
Fireblade
Wizard Member

The Falcon is a great car, you must realise that things like build quality and reliability are bench marks compared to other cars though and can be the deciding factor in peoples choices.

I must add IMO my old AU XR8 had a better build quality than my 2 current B series, but in some other ways my 2 B series are way ahead of my old AU. It is all relative to the owner of these vehicles.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I think the FG is a brilliant car. Every time I have driven one I have been impressed by the car. Sure I bet there have been some lemons but so do all cars that get designed and built by humans. But with the way some so-called "Ford enthusiasts" on this forum carry on, every single one made must be a pile of crap.

I've owned 9 Falcon and Falcon based cars and none of them have given me substantial grief save for the times when they have let me down due to my own abuse or the age of the car (or a combination of the two)

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Really happy with my FG XR50 Falcon, drives really well, economical, averaging 9.52 lt/100km (since delivery-have a spreadsheet going, using actual fuel quantities from the bowser) and had it nearly 7 months now, 10,600km, and nothing gone wrong yet at all, since delivery.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 03-05-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very good car...we love our new G6E.

The problem is that with only a little more effort in some detail areas, at very little cost, it could be a truly great car.

The sad fact is that many buyers will indeed be put off by little details that aren't up to scratch or not what you expect they might be. People aren't as blindly brand-loyal as they once were...there's just too big a choice of cars now. We've also been soiled by many years now of foreign cars...especially Japanese...that are loaded with features that cost a lot of extra money on Australian cars, so buyers expect more when they climb inside and start looking around.

Holden faces the exact same issues with thier Commodore. Look at the new Cruze...to be blunt, it's almost too good a car, compared to the Commodore.
Time was, there was a vast gap in quality and driving experience between lower models and the big car of the range. I don't know how many people remember the differences between driving, say, a Cortina and a Falcon, a Laser or Meteor and a Falcon, or a Gemini or Sunbird and a Commodore.
There was once a simply huge gap in features, quality of ride and handling, and expectations of overall quality between the model range...not so much nowadays, and that's the problem.

Not sure how they'll overcome that...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
plcains
Starter Motor

My fgt is my first Australian Ford, and i have to say to build quility is average, even to other euro fords like the mondeo. I've had a fair few similarly priced euro and jap cars and besides some budget jap cars and anything french, they've been far better. Its not fords fault, they dont have the resources to provide the quality that larger markets can, so for the budget they are working with, they really have done ok. I think a used '09 c63 in 5 or so years will be the ticket. maybe by then i can afford it
plcains is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Still like the Falcon. Will get another one or two. While they keep making them I'll keep buying them as they drive better with each newer model.

As for tech, in all seriousness I'm one that really doesn't want all that much. The terri seems to be at a good level (TS model).

What I would like is them to spend the R&D dollars on making the plastics not make so many noises, while not all that bad it certainly can be improved.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Falcman0o7
Banned

Great read guys! Ford need to advertise alot more to i think.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
After reading a certain thread the falcon seemed to get a bashing for reliability and built quality, I have had most models up to my present being the AU2 and have found them to be very reliable and (apart from the doors on XD XE XF) to be built quite well also. So....What are your thoughts and experience?
I love my falcons and i'm feeling quite sad over the future of these great cars and the S*#@ they seem to cop.
I have been driving Fords 4 decades and currently think the Falcon is a pretty decent car , with reservations as the build quality should be better , I would like to see what ever is fitted replacing the I6 display similar traits in a slightly smaller lighter platform which imho is not an unreasonable suggestion , the tco with the current car may well become untenable and I prefer not to run a fwd
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

The BFII. Absolute blast to drive hard (in sss mode), pulls hard, grips and grips, traction control intrusive though and unable to switch off (afaik).

Falcon, a fantastic car past and present.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Really happy with my FG XR50 Falcon, drives really well, economical, averaging 9.52 lt/100km (since delivery-have a spreadsheet going, using actual fuel quantities from the bowser) and had it nearly 7 months now, 10,600km, and nothing gone wrong yet at all, since delivery.
Heres a graph of my fuel usage since delivery last October, up to a couple of weeks ago, I need to update it again. Just to show they are not necessarily a petrol guzzler.

Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
The BFII. Absolute blast to drive hard (in sss mode), pulls hard, grips and grips, traction control intrusive though and unable to switch off (afaik).
Hold the button till the traction control light turns on in your cluster.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #16
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it. Had an XP, BAII and now an FG. Happy with all of them. Sure they have some minor problems, But name one car that doesn't? Looking forward to FG2 and beyond

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
Kryton

Cant see how they arent reliable.
They are good enough to be used as a taxi for 800000km+.

I had a 87 ZL Fairlane and it had done 389000km when i sold it.
It was still on the original engine and gearbox and i would have driven it around Australia without any thoughts to if i would make it or not - i knew it would have if i asked it to.
The rest of the car was stuffed though, rust, paint fade, saggy interior, electrical issues inside etc etc, but mechanically, it would haev lasted another 400000km.

03 BA Fairmont has just ticked over 212000km and has not had one single reliability issue.
Its never broke down, its never not started, its never crapped the radiator, gearbox or any of the 'standard' issues of the BA.
Driveline is all original, including the radiator.
Only thing that has been changed are the shocks/springs (193000km on the originals) and the brakes/rotors.

If that isnt 2 displays of being reliable.......
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've had mixed results with Falcon from being good with my EL, ok with my first BA to bloody awful with my second.

Just back from an eight day holiday where I had a XR6 rental with just over 2000 km's on it. It was a very impressive car and clearly a long way ahead in the driveline from the B series cars. I really enjoyed driving it and the fuel economy was excellent.

That said, like a previous poster, the FG is being held back by Fords cost cutting, which does show in places and lets the car down. Fix that and add a little more content like a colour screen and reverse sensors (should be standard on all Falcons) and it would be an unbeatable buy.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I like driving the other half's FG...I like the Falcon - the only things I would change are the ride height (although most men who drive the FG would be a lot taller than 5 foot...so I'm an exception, and I deal with it), and the diff manufacturer...everything else is as expected...but I'm not really that hard to please.

When we've had to get servicing done, they have been fantastic, and whenever there has been an issue, it has been fixed straight away.

My next car won't be a falcon (because I'm the exception) - but it will be a Ford...of that you can guarantee...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #20
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I think the FG has MUCH better build quality than a new Camry or Aurion
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 PM   #21
stang65
FPRJET

An ed Falcon and now a Ba Xr6 turbo Have had both for over 7 years each and never missed a beat.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #22
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quality is NOT an issue fro the Falcon. Like all cars in it's class it isn't perfect. But is is very very good. A better car the a VE. And let me tell you VE's have plenty of faults. (I"ve had 5 in 5 years as company cars) And there service is no better than Fords. Both vary from dealer to dealer. So why does VE outsell FG 2 to 1?

I've said it before. My thoughts are FG looks to soft. Like a Subaru Liberty with a BF grille. A VE by contrast looks taught and muscular. Particularly in SS guise. SS's also look tough lowered. No other changes just low.

Of course VE is available in a bunch of version FG isnt Wagon, V8, LPG etc which is also hurting sales.

Don't get me wrong I won't be buying a VE, in fact I've put my name down for an FG2. I just hope they toughen it up.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #23
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I have to agree here. The Falcon and Commodore is much of a muchness. They compete in the same market and the same price. However as everyone has said, Holden know the market.

Their V8 Commodores are profit makers and V8 sales never really died down even during the fuel crisis.

Take a walk to the dealer now and look at the line up. Holden has SS, SSV, Red line packages, big wheels up to 20inch's. Holdens dealer relationship with Walkinshaw. I might not necessarily like the options but the market out there certainly does.
Then you look at Ford, if you want a V8, forget it. They will try to sell you an XR6 Turbo.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I've had my R6 for two and a half years now and it's been a trouble free vehicle,
Ive put just over 35,000 km on it in that time and have noticed a few squeaks and dash rattles.
but nothing too bad, the heat shield on the exhaust rattles and buzzes but all Falcons do that,
my front discs also feel slightly warped when I slow gently to a stop. The five speed gets a little lost
and whirrs quite loudly when cold.....

All in all, a normal Falcon....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #25
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive had most models from XY through to my first new car XR50T, had a fantastic run out of them all. Serviced and maintained properly is the key imo.
FERG_51 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #26
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My feelings on the Falcon are mixed. They are a great car to drive - plenty of power, safe, very comfortable and a great smooth ride that seems to glide over everything, like it's namesake. Every Falcon I have ever driven or been a passenger in has had these qualities. I love the fact that the Falcon is such a long-lasting nameplate with a great heritage, and it's iconic.

I probably sound miffed but I am really unimpressed with my current Falcon, having previously owned an old but flawless EA and having had a ZD, ZG and ZJ in the family. It is a really lovely car to drive but it just does not meet the quality and reliability expectations I have in a car. The doors don't sit as flush as they should sit. The door seals are falling apart. The interior is mostly cheap hollow plastic. All the trim around the rear window and hood lining is falling apart. The paint is going despite the car being garaged for nearly all it's life. Numerous electrical quirks and lots of small components failing in my 16 month ownership, and now the gearbox is starting to give me problems. It's only a matter of time before the head gasket goes, thanks to Ford's wonderful design team who couldn't work out how to fix this problem. This car is my baby and gets treated accordingly, yet has given me all these headaches. It has only just clocked over 100,000 ffs!

Family members with Hiluxes, Corollas and Magnas that get flogged and never maintained are as good as new. I see this and look at my crumbling Falcon and am not happy about it. I don't know how this car will redeem itself, and if it doesn't, my next car will be a Subaru.

Last edited by Ford_The_Win; 04-05-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #27
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Falcon? Grossly misunderstood.

The masses still believe that Falcons and Commodores are barges that bogans drive that use twice as much fuel as their Toyota Camrys.

At least that's what the couple sitting in front of me on a bus that I was on a couple of months ago said...
Old 04-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #28
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
My feelings on the Falcon are mixed. They are a great car to drive - plenty of power, safe, very comfortable and a great smooth ride that seems to glide over everything, like it's namesake. Every Falcon I have ever driven or been a passenger in has had these qualities. I love the fact that the Falcon is such a long-lasting nameplate with a great heritage, and it's iconic.

I probably sound miffed but I am really unimpressed with my current Falcon, having previously owned an old but flawless EA and having had a ZD, ZG and ZJ in the family. It is a really lovely car to drive but it just does not meet the quality and reliability expectations I have in a car. The doors don't sit as flush as they should sit. The door seals are falling apart. The interior is mostly cheap hollow plastic. All the trim around the rear window and hood lining is falling apart. The paint is going despite the car being garaged for nearly all it's life. Numerous electrical quirks and lots of small components failing in my 16 month ownership, and now the gearbox is starting to give me problems. It's only a matter of time before the head gasket goes, thanks to Ford's wonderful design team who couldn't work out how to fix this problem. This car is my baby and gets treated accordingly, yet has given me all these headaches. It has only just clocked over 100,000 ffs!

Family members with Hiluxes, Corollas and Magnas that get flogged and never maintained are as good as new. I see this and look at my crumbling Falcon and am not happy about it. I don't know how this car will redeem itself, and if it doesn't, my next car will be a Subaru.

I take it you bought this 2nd hand do you know anything about it`s previous owner, maybe he didn`t take care of it. I had an ED falcon 180,000 k`s the only thing I ever changed was a battery and exhaus in over 7 years of driving it.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #29
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
I take it you bought this 2nd hand do you know anything about it`s previous owner, maybe he didn`t take care of it. I had an ED falcon 180,000 k`s the only thing I ever changed was a battery and exhaus in over 7 years of driving it.
I bought it off the original owners personally. They were a retired Italian couple that ran a bed and breakfast on the Mornington Peninsula. I have an almost complete service history and they haven't missed much.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #30
anto
Za Dom spremni

wow, youre talking about a car built arond, what 15 years ago and second hand , then complain about seals falling apart..? Do you want ford to warrant it for 15 years now do you ? Theyre in the business of selling new cars with a 3 year warranty and that is the issue.

speechless

every ford I have owned from XA's right through to FG have all been solid reliable cars, all except an EA Ghia which was a total piece of crap. They all had little niggles but Im not going to blow things out of proportion like some people like to do.
I find it funny that so many are complaining about build quality , quite honestly I just dont see it. It is on par with all its competitors. What are they comparing a Falcon to,... a Merc, Audi,..what ?
How many of the poeple complaining have actually ever owned one of these perfectly engineered machines to make such comparisons.

granted there have been some horror stories particularly on this forum and even I have had the displeasure of a lemon with the EA but lets not tarnish the whol lot of them because of a few bad examples.
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post