Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default New Holden Recall - Brake Pedal Pressure

http://www.caradvice.com.au/51873/ho...ressure-issue/

Quote:
Recall: Holden Commodore 3.0 SIDI brake pedal pressure

December 31, 2009 by Matt Brogan

Holden will recall its 3.0-litre SIDI Omega and Berlina models following an issue concerning brake pedal pressure on cold starts.

On some occasions, when the brakes are used after an initial cold engine start, brake booster power assistance is not available. As a result increased brake pedal effort may be required to achieve the expected stopping distance.

Holden will write to owners of all affected vehicles to schedule necessary work.

Should you have any concerns that your vehicle is affected by the recall, contact your Holden service department.

Here is the link from the government recall website.
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/970920

Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I suppose it will be seen as good PR (especially from the certain media) that Holden is doing the right thing, having a full recall of the affected vehicles.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
ZC001
Cruisin

Holden bashing. Gives all the 'unbiased & impartial' members of this forum something to do while waiting for their Ford to get fixed.

Luckily, some manufacturers don't consider trivial matters like brake lines failing because they are too short, or ball joints that fail due to bad design to be safety problems or worthy of a recall, despite the turnover of these items through the spare parts department. Wasn't the Pinto made by Ford too ?
ZC001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Nobody is bashing Holden. However, if Ford recalled FG I'm sure Josh Dowling, Paul Gover etc would put a negative spin on it, somehow link it to the impending doomsday, future FWD Falcon and death of Ford Australia as we know it. You know, the usual. Doubtful that Holden will receieve any negative press about this recall, not that they should - I'm glad Holden is fixing the issue.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001
Holden bashing. Gives all the 'unbiased & impartial' members of this forum something to do while waiting for their Ford to get fixed.

Luckily, some manufacturers don't consider trivial matters like brake lines failing because they are too short, or ball joints that fail due to bad design to be safety problems or worthy of a recall, despite the turnover of these items through the spare parts department. Wasn't the Pinto made by Ford too ?

brake lines were fixed free and balljoints replaced under warranty.

all manufacturers have issues. even toyota. some attract a lot more attention than others for reasons unknown to me.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #6
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I know that there was talk about the Explorer on another thread, the media sort of went to town on the vehicle, just imagine the bashing it would have got if it was a current model Ford. So it would be interesting to see over the next couple of days as to how the media will react to a current Holden with no brakes.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225815308250

no one is immune - toyota's 3rd gen prius has issues too.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Nobody is bashing Holden. However, if Ford recalled FG I'm sure Josh Dowling, Paul Gover etc would put a negative spin on it, somehow link it to the impending doomsday, future FWD Falcon and death of Ford Australia as we know it. You know, the usual. Doubtful that Holden will receieve any negative press about this recall, not that they should - I'm glad Holden is fixing the issue.
Don't stoop to their (JD etc) level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZC001

OH! hohoho ZING!
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 02:45 AM   #9
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
brake lines were fixed free and balljoints replaced under warranty.

all manufacturers have issues. even toyota. some attract a lot more attention than others for reasons unknown to me.
Ball joints only fixed if you reported a problem or they collapsed when you or your family were driving down the road. No owner is legally required to take their car to Ford for servicing, so Ford can never make the assumption that such a serious safety issue will be picked up by Ford dealers and it is plain dishonest on Fords part to claim any different. Also some discussion on the forums that some Ford dealers didn't pick up the problem anyway.

This is all an entirely different scenario to Holden being PROACTIVE in seeking owners and affecting a repair at their expense. You didn't have to go to them to find you had a problem that you wouldn't otherwise know about, they found you or at least tried, by using your last known registered owner details and writing a notice to you - the way it should be done.

Brake lines only got recalled after intense media scrutiny.

Guess which company has more problems with the media and deservedly so.

Time well and truly past for Ford to step up and take accountability for their cars. Can start with recall of all SX series Territory's for inspection and replacement of ball joints with new design.

The stupidity of all of this is that Terri will never reach its sales potential in the years to come, because of the reputation that Ford have earn't for it and the brand by trying to dodge its corporate responsibilities. For every dollar they saved today, they will pay ten in the years ahead for doing it. So even if you take the ethical issue out of it, it still makes no business sense.

Last edited by DanielXR8; 03-01-2010 at 03:04 AM.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If this was Ford the media would be all over it saying how bad they are, and how no one should own one, its all to one sided!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was a Ford recall this thread would be 20 pages long by now of frothing anecdotal "service" complaints......

Old 03-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If it was a Ford recall this thread would be 20 pages long by now of frothing anecdotal service complaints......

SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

So the Ford brake line recall was not proactive? The whole track-me-down-and-fix it routine was certainly the experience I had recently when Ford went through their recall. The issue with Ford and the media has more to do with the percentage of heartland followers, the revenue generated by brand representation on magazine covers, and that Ford don't put as much advertising dollars their way as GM does.

Where's the recall for all the faulty VE electronics then? Or is that something different?

These things are ammo. Someone fires off at you about Terry ball joints or short brake lines and the VE brake fail now gets whipped right out. Like Ecotec triple coil or water pump failures, or Holden V8 powersteering failures.

I tell you what, the sudden defense of a Holden recall in this thread makes it feel a bit like a pre-emptive strike has been launched.....

Lukeyson
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
burnz
VFII SS UTE

this is the second recall for holden in as many months.
the first was aircon was not upto scratch, so a letter was sent to my09 cars for a new condenser.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
this is the second recall for holden in as many months.
the first was aircon was not upto scratch, so a letter was sent to my09 cars for a new condenser.
Wish ford would recall my aircon in both my FGs...
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Jeez, look at all the whingers come out of the woodwork.

This thread was started to give people a heads up on this issue, but naturally we have to have to people post about how wonderful every other manufacturer is and how crap ford is and of course the regular poster who has had his bad experience with Ford service and wont buy them again yet seems to still be here.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I thought a brake recall from Holden for the 3 litre SIDI would be caused by complaints from owners, who when they accelerate think that the brakes must be stuck on cause they are so slow.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
This thread was started to give people a heads up on this issue,
That's right, because this being a holden forum, we all drive SIDI Commodores and it's imperative that we know about the recall affecting our vehicles. :

Thanks for the heads up
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #19
Kamshaaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I thought a brake recall from Holden for the 3 litre SIDI would be caused by complaints from owners, who when they accelerate think that the brakes must be stuck on cause they are so slow.
3.0L SIDI: 190kW
4.0L Barra: 182kW

Direct injection is a whole step up the evolutionary ladder, and to be honest it should have been in cars here yesterday.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft

Direct injection is a whole step up the evolutionary ladder, and to be honest it should have been in cars here yesterday.
Bit like DOHC?
5.4l BOSS 290kw
6.0l AFM 260kw

Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
Bobman
Regulator

You're quoting a BA Barra engine there, Kamshaaft. Best to compare both current models.

FG has 195kw.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
That's right, because this being a holden forum, we all drive SIDI Commodores and it's imperative that we know about the recall affecting our vehicles. :

Thanks for the heads up
Or to people who have lives outside of here who know people with the car. Some people may miss the news as a majority of Australia couldn't give a rats about cars.

Quote:

3.0L SIDI 290nm
BA 4.0L Barra: 380nm

Yeah the engine is revoluntionary!!!

Last edited by vztrt; 10-01-2010 at 09:27 PM.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #23
Kamshaaft

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Bit like DOHC?
5.4l BOSS 290kw
6.0l AFM 260kw
Hey man, no need to get cynical, I'm not bagging Ford here. I'm just saying it like it is, though I did make a mistake when I quoted off the top of my head like someone pointed out. I forget the FGs have been out for a while now.

3.0 SIDI 190kW compared to the benchmark 4.0 Barra 195kW ain't bad for a tinny V6, you have to admit even if it's not as well rounded. In any case it's far from 'slow as if you've got a foot on the brakes', as was the original point. The Barra comparison is simply to keep it relative.

As for drawing a parallel to the DOHC debate, a swing and a miss. It's a completely different scenario mate; not the next step up the ladder, but a different ladder entirely. Direct Injection isn't an alternate technology / configuration.

Funny that you then compare the BOSS to that POS AFM engine (which by the way is doggy doo technology that wasn't even developed properly before they implemented it) - Why don't you compare the 5.4 BOSS to it's actual rivals, the LS2 & LS3, huh? Perhaps because Holden has had a serious one up there for the last decade?

Keep your head.

Last edited by Kamshaaft; 10-01-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:40 PM   #24
Kamshaaft

Damn, seems I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Or to people who have lives outside of here who know people with the car. Some people may miss the news as a majority of Australia couldn't give a rats about cars.

3.0L SIDI 290nm
BA 4.0L Barra: 380nm

Yeah the engine is revoluntionary!!!
...and peak torque figures mean everything? :

Nobody said it was revolutionary, as it's not the point..
..So you're agreeing with Bossxr8's remark that the 190kW 280nm 3.0 SIDI is like a 190kW 280nm 3.6 Alloytec with one foot on the brake, or a 180 - 192kW Barra with one foot on the brake? Because that's what he said.

P.S. Those are peak figures, you should have posted pics of the dyno sheets for each so we could compare power curves. It's the actual reality, and changes the arguement slightly.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Damn, seems I'm playing devil's advocate here.

...and peak torque figures mean everything? :
Just like KW figures are the be all and end all!! Lack of torque is more important then a lack of KW. KW are for dyno queens.

You said it was revolutionary, BTW.

D.I is nice but in Holdens case it hasn't achieved anything. The engine hasn't lived up to the hype, the 'fuel efficient' model has proven to waste more fuel.

Play devils advocate all you like but the SIDI motor has not proved its worth.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #26
Bakis
XR6ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
On this we hear so so much about the Territory and its ball joints and brakes in the herald sun... and now its moved onto the cruise control failures with fords.

I've never heard a peep from anyone on the major issues about the Captiva, i just found out from watching today tonight or a current affair that numerous customers that have brought a captiva have been back to Holden up to 17 times and there issues are still not resolved... Why hasn't the Cars Guide written on that or have i missed the small 5cm by 10cm 2 paragraph deal it would most likely be.

To the Holden Dealers credit they do a great job on PR and servicing, the ppl have complained that the dealers have been more the helpful and that major issues are with holden.

Weekend Cruiser/Project -1993 ED XR6

XR6ED Thread
Bakis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #27
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
You're quoting a BA Barra engine there, Kamshaaft. Best to compare both current models.

FG has 195kw.

Now that sounds something like: :
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Hey man, no need to get cynical, I'm not bagging Ford here. I'm just saying it like it is, though I did make a mistake when I quoted off the top of my head like someone pointed out. I forget the FGs have been out for a while now.

3.0 SIDI 190kW compared to the benchmark 4.0 Barra 195kW ain't bad for a tinny V6, you have to admit even if it's not as well rounded. In any case it's far from 'slow as if you've got a foot on the brakes', as was the original point. The Barra comparison is simply to keep it relative.

As for drawing a parallel to the DOHC debate, a swing and a miss. It's a completely different scenario mate; not the next step up the ladder, but a different ladder entirely. Direct Injection isn't an alternate technology / configuration.

Funny that you then compare the BOSS to that POS AFM engine (which by the way is doggy doo technology that wasn't even developed properly before they implemented it) - Why don't you compare the 5.4 BOSS to it's actual rivals, the LS2 & LS3, huh? Perhaps because Holden has had a serious one up there for the last decade?

Keep your head.
The SIDI 3 litre is the slowest car in its class by over 1.5 seconds to 100. That = FAIL.

Its also slower than the old Omega 3.6. That also = FAIL.

And to round off the trifecta real world economy is barely better than its faster rivals = FAIL.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Now that sounds something like: :
Much like he claims the VE has a ZF 6 speed auto too....

Old 11-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #30
mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakis
On this we hear so so much about the Territory and its ball joints and brakes in the herald sun... and now its moved onto the cruise control failures with fords.

I've never heard a peep from anyone on the major issues about the Captiva, i just found out from watching today tonight or a current affair that numerous customers that have brought a captiva have been back to Holden up to 17 times and there issues are still not resolved... Why hasn't the Cars Guide written on that or have i missed the small 5cm by 10cm 2 paragraph deal it would most likely be.

To the Holden Dealers credit they do a great job on PR and servicing, the ppl have complained that the dealers have been more the helpful and that major issues are with holden.
hey bakis i hear ya mate, i dont want to keep going on about it, but check out my comments in the "CRAPTIVA" thread from yesterday.I just cant believe this is not on everybodys radar at the moment, you would think its only Ford that has recall problems in australia
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post