Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-08-2010, 09:09 AM   #1
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 
Default Keep your address private - in NZ anyway

I don't know what the situation is in Australia, I guess each state is different but here in NZ anyone can walk into a Post Shop and for $3 can obtain your name and private address and all they need to provide is the number/name of your vehicles plate. Due to privacy laws NZ Post will not give out the details of anyone who has requested the name/address info. So a stranger can get your details but you are not allowed to even have their name!

It's not going to prevent your car being stolen but keeping your address details private can only help. There is a new law which comes into effect Nov 1st which gives the vehicle owner the right to keep their details private.

You can opt out of having your info publicly available using the link below:

https://transact.nzta.govt.nz/transa...ess/entry.aspx

Do you know if this is the situation in your state?

NeillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #2
nstg8a

thats why when i was in nz i always used my parents address for my vehicle details.

but records are kept, and the person requesting the info has to show photo id. still wrong imo,but does make it easy to track down owners of cars to buy lol
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
The Snout

Sounds a bit sheepy to me.
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Snout
Sounds a bit sheepy to me.

i see what you did there!!!!!
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
Kryton

In Australia, you can look at the Electoral Roll and obtain anyones Name, residential address and Phone number - for FREE.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
In Australia, you can look at the Electoral Roll and obtain anyones Name, residential address and Phone number - for FREE.
Yeah - but it's not linked to you car rego number. That was the OP's point.
It sounds abit unfair (and a bit scary) that someone can get your personal details - based on giving your rego number.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

The thing that I don't like about it is someone can see your car on the road and for $3 find out where you and likely the car lives.

Of course if someone wants your car they can follow you home suppose. I just don't like the idea of making a thief's life so easy.
NeillNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
sbcb
BA Xr8

Want to keep scaring yourself? They can also change ownership using this loop hole thus when a stolen car gets stopped by police its regisitered to them.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post offices are subject to a privacy act

Ring the local council over here asking about a vacant block and see how easy the info is to get
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #10
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

You can it seems opt-out. Do so.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think here in australia it'd be pretty hard as post office is federal and rego is state. they've tried a couple times to tie in various state and federal agencies with limited success.
Old 20-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
Sloth

Done and done. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 20-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Names and addresses used be able to be obtained from the RTA (NSW) fom a number plate.

I don't know if there is a fee -although knowing the RTA there would be- but a letter is sent to the owner of the car saying who made the enquiry.