Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default twin cab

Might have to sell my BA xr8 ute (crying) and buy a twin cab (kids) but least i can go camping and bush take the bikes out etc the only thing is i wouldn't know what to look for in the way of good models and if diesel is the go or not,as Ive never owned one before does any one know of a good 4x4 forum site i can check out or any tips

Old 24-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

www.exploroz.com is pretty good. Go test drive them all, petrol and diesel. My father got a Hilux SR 4x4 crew cab with the 4.0L V6 and 5 speed auto and i drove it a few times when i was still in Australia, a guy at a set of lights in a diesel SR5 couldn't even nearly keep up. All depends on needs and wants, but if you are coming from an XR8, the petrol V6 will keep you happier.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I find this forum a good source of info: http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/

Just watch out for those Toyota blokes, they are worse than Holden fans.

One Thing to remember about duelcabs, they are heavy and have V6's that LOVE the juice, this applies to all brands. I'd go diesel or LPG.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I find this forum a good source of info: http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/

Just watch out for those Toyota blokes, they are worse than Holden fans.

One Thing to remember about duelcabs, they are heavy and have V6's that LOVE the juice, this applies to all brands. I'd go diesel or LPG.
thanks for that seems like a good forum its going to be a big change for me
Old 24-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
www.exploroz.com is pretty good. Go test drive them all, petrol and diesel. My father got a Hilux SR 4x4 crew cab with the 4.0L V6 and 5 speed auto and i drove it a few times when i was still in Australia, a guy at a set of lights in a diesel SR5 couldn't even nearly keep up. All depends on needs and wants, but if you are coming from an XR8, the petrol V6 will keep you happier.
geez theres alot on that site
Old 24-02-2009, 07:23 PM   #6
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Got that right, $780 in fuel from Sydney to heathcote and back towing the falcon, and it wasnt even a 4wd model, just the 2wd dual cab sr5 4 litre auto, under 300km out of a tank on some sections, I can just imagine what the 4lt 4wd would do towing a boat, or loaded up for a trip away..
Also was the most unreliable hilux model I have ever seen, and ive had a few,they are made in thailand now..
If I was to get another it would be a Navara or ranger/BT50..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would love an '06 or '07 D40 Navara Turbo Diesel but the bloody things are worth near 40k second hand!!!!!
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
Pistol
pistol

I got a triton 4x4 in carsales .com 2005 model low k's gls top of the range ,winch chrome rear bar , heaps and heaps of extras
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I would go for a diesel, Petrol utes in this market either use too much fuel (V6) or a gutless (Inline 4), Diesels are the perfect compromise, and this type of vehicle are well suited. I would have gone a Hilux a few years ago, but this current model to me just doesn't look right, and they aren't as unbreakable as they used to be.

The Mitsubishi Triton to me is a bit pricey, and so is the Navara, and out of the two of them, the Navara is easiest the pick, but if the extra few grand is too much for you, (for me, it would be) the Ranger is the pick, you can pick up a good 1 year old top of the range Ranger with the Crew Cab, 3.0L TD 4 with about 10,000km - 20,000km for around the $35,000 mark, the equivalent Navara or Triton will be above the 40K mark.
Old 24-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #10
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive checked out the new rangers fuel figures and torque look good but $46,000.00 top of the range and they will give me $18,000.00 trade in for my BA i need to think about all this
Old 24-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just go careful getting a Ranger, look for a really late model one as the first of them had gearbox issues, althought mine is a new model and it 5th gear

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #12
Froudey
Banned

Hilux IMO is the way to go, turbo diesal or a TRD current shape hilux.
Froudey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think ill just get a good second hand one as it will be for play and work thinking around the 20thou mark
Old 24-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWildGT
Ive checked out the new rangers fuel figures and torque look good but $46,000.00 top of the range and they will give me $18,000.00 trade in for my BA i need to think about all this
New model Ranger will be out in a few months. If you wait, you could pick up and old runout model for a bit of a discount.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

These are on sale everywhere at the moment, 29k plus on road for ABN holders they would be the best value turbo diesel duel cab on the market:

http://www.nissan.com.au/webpages/mo...D22_model.html
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #16
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWildGT
i think ill just get a good second hand one as it will be for play and work thinking around the 20thou mark
Thats what I usually do, low km ex gov from the auctions, got the last lux for about 20k with 40,000 on it, but a 4wd will possibly be a bit more..
The railways have rangers/bt50's now, and you get a few rodeo's going through, the thing is you wont find up spec ones generally..
If you go with a hilux I highly reccommend you get the just superseded model, much better built than the latest shape..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post