Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default 130km/h limit

Tuition time, MP3:-

http://www2.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr...2006_07_06.mp3

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah wont happen on the eastern seaboard.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
T3man
Banned

Who'd 'av thought?
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
Martys-Bionic-XR

You for REALLL!!!111
Martys-Bionic-XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
timothyds

the 110 limit was introduced back when cars still has drum breaks and leaf springs, modern cars can go much faster with safety and this is a big land iv got things to do so the faster the better on the hwy. i do over 1000km per week mostly on the hume where its 2 lanes each way 130 is a great idea. its 2010 not 1975 cars are made to do this speed
timothyds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyds
the 110 limit was introduced back when cars still has drum breaks and leaf springs, modern cars can go much faster with safety and this is a big land iv got things to do so the faster the better on the hwy. i do over 1000km per week mostly on the hume where its 2 lanes each way 130 is a great idea. its 2010 not 1975 cars are made to do this speed
Some cars may do the speed, but the highways are built around the 100-110 km/hr limit. For example, some current on ramps are barely adequate to allow some drivers to get a head of steam up to a safe merging speed. I can imagine the chaos if the speed were upped to 130 km/hr in those circumstances. I would love to see interstate highways upgraded to handle those speeds, but the cost would be prohibitive in Australia.

Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Unfortunately, I think Fangq has hit the nail right on the head, The quality of our roads and infrastructure (especially in Victoria) is just not up to the standard, and if it were, the government would more than likely still use it as the excuse to not change it.

That said, I do believe that in a country as vast as ours, 110 is a ridiculous national speed limit. After all the majority of modern cars are now designed to cruise at 160km/h, so 130 or 140 is still a breeze.
Old 19-01-2010, 08:53 PM   #8
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I support the idea but tbh I get stuck behind some jerk on onramps every other day they trundle down the onramp hitting the highway at 80kmh creating chaos as all the cars struggle for space both the ones backed up behind the jerk and the ones on the highway - please oh please why do people do this somebody please tell me.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
Some cars may do the speed, but the highways are built around the 100-110 km/hr limit.
But our freeways are built for +160km/h :eclipsee_
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 11:04 PM   #10
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Mate you have pulled something out of the bag that I have experianced first hand. They actually do drive responibly and with consideration for other road users. Of course there is the exception to the rule there too with th odd nut or rude bugger but on the whole pretty good I reckon.
Old 19-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
Some cars may do the speed, but the highways are built around the 100-110 km/hr limit. For example, some current on ramps are barely adequate to allow some drivers to get a head of steam up to a safe merging speed. I can imagine the chaos if the speed were upped to 130 km/hr in those circumstances. I would love to see interstate highways upgraded to handle those speeds, but the cost would be prohibitive in Australia.

Steve
You maybe right in a very few cases but if you take a second to reflect and tell me how many people do you actually see on the free way traveling with an adiquate spacing between then and the car in front of them allowing on ramp traffic to blend in and then extending that distance to compensate the on ramp traffic. 99% of the time I would have to say no and so would you. I have been on plenty on ranps that accomodate the speed, its just hard to maintain it when some barsterd closes up and don't let you in.

Last edited by GT290; 19-01-2010 at 11:18 PM.
GT290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 11:17 PM   #12
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another example of the australian driver is on the Maroonda Hwy trafic signal intersection at the top of Lilydale where the lane goes fron two to one If everyone maintained an equal safe distance aprt from the car in front and the inside lane did the same instead of evryong rushing to the end of the dual lanes and comming to a stop, there would be no problem. I have seen it done wonderfully on the rarest of occasions but 90% of the time it is all bull at a gate and stuff you joe you ain't getting in front of me attitude. Its really bad in Victoria and getting worse, I thought Brisbane was bad but the last five years Ive seen it grow worse.
I am sure you all have seen this every bloody day and some of you probably guilty of the same said ********** attitude
Old 19-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #13
capri280
Starter Motor

if drivers moved to the centre lane when approching an on ramp that will give the cars entering the freeway room to merge, in stead i see here in qld drivers trying to stop merging traffic from entering.
like they might lose there spot in the trafic. :
capri280 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 03:17 AM   #14
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I don't get it I thought it was the law now to give way to merging traffic, unless they have a give way sign.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 07:50 AM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly
if drivers moved to the centre lane when approching an on ramp that will give the cars entering the freeway room to merge, in stead i see here in qld drivers trying to stop merging traffic from entering.
like they might lose there spot in the trafic. :
Sadly, there are selfish people out there who just can't get over the fact
that others have to driving on "their roads" too......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #16
Outback
Banned

So would you rather hit a wombat or Roo at 110 or 130kms that's why our freeway speed will always be 110, they don't have animals that can write off a car walking across there motorways in Europe.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #17
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
I don't get it I thought it was the law now to give way to merging traffic, unless they have a give way sign.
Only when there is no lines on the road. If there is a broken line, then the person merging still has to give way. I checked this with a family member in the SA police a couple of years back.
Old 20-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #18
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

It would be ideal to have the outside lane for merging up to 100kph & have the inside lane next to the island up to 130kph, but I think it would be too complex for some drivers.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #19
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
So would you rather hit a wombat or Roo at 110 or 130kms that's why our freeway speed will always be 110, they don't have animals that can write off a car walking across there motorways in Europe.
Yeah deer won't write off a car :
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #20
Outback
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Yeah deer won't write off a car :
**************** if you have driven on the motorways in Europe you would know the have high fences.
: : :
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #21
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
**************** if you have driven on the motorways in Europe you would know the have high fences.
Not all of them do. A lot of the driving I did over there on the motorways I never noticed any high fences. Certainly guard railing, but nothing that would stop a deer from jumping over. This is in France, Italy, Austria, Germany and Holland.
Old 20-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #22
kezzer

Quote:
: : :
I'm european, and can say alot of countries with motorways have problems just like we do with animals and accidents.
Old 20-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
durtyharry

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyds
Why is there a desire to increase the limits so we have a standard of safety that is back to 1970s levels?

There is big difference between 130km/h and 110km/h. You do understand that stopping distance and max speed you can enter a corner depend on the speed squared? ie a car will take 40% more distance to stop from 130km/h than 110km/h, or will need 40% more grip from the tyres to go around a corner doing 130 rather than 110.
do you even know how many metres you need to stop the average falcon from 110km/h including driver reaction time?

Cars, tyres and roads have not improved that much in 30 years, certainly not the 40% needed for a 110 to 130km/h change, and the reaction time of the nut at the wheel certainly hasnt improved to cater for doing an extra 20km/h.

Not all cars on the road are 2010 models either, all of those hiace vans etc, they are certainly no better equipped than a mid 70s vehicle.

Just be content that you are driving well within the limits of your own vehicle and are enjoying a much higher level of safety than has ever been achieved before.
durtyharry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #24
MAD
Petro-sexual

If people were taught to understand limits during early driving stages, then they would realise that it is a 'limit' and if they dont feel their car is up to it, they dont have to travel that fast.... just keep left you bastards!

The average age of a car, in 2007, was 9.7yrs. So today that would be a 2000 model. All the good features were well and truly making their way into cars then.
Old 20-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Being a civil designer and designing roads...I don't think some people realise that it's not as easy as banging a speed limit sign on a road.

You have design speeds, K-Factors, line of sight factors horizantal curves radius, vertical curve radius...so many different influencing factors that contribute to why some speed limits are in place...

110kph is reasonable...Now I'm no saint and I'll drive a fair bit over that on the open road...And speaking from experience, 130kph is a fair bit different to 110...

In saying that...110kph...people speed, 120, 130...
Speed limit set to 130kph, you'll have people barrelling along at 140, 150, 160....Scary when you think about how useless some are behind the wheel.

Really, if you wanna go 130, do it, no-one stopping you.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #26
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
In saying that...110kph...people speed, 120, 130...
Speed limit set to 130kph, you'll have people barrelling along at 140, 150, 160....Scary when you think about how useless some are behind the wheel.
There was mention, in a thread recently, of a state in the US that lifted the limit to 130 and found they had less speeders and they were exceeding the limit by less. Everyone is comfortable with 130.
The good old 85th percentile in action.
Yes, you will get some that set their cruise to 10 over just as they do now and the occasional idiot at 30+ over the limit, but they would've done that regardless.

Here's the link that was provided. (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/27/r...ked-out-to-le/)
Old 20-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #27
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by durtyharry
Why is there a desire to increase the limits so we have a standard of safety that is back to 1970s levels?

There is big difference between 130km/h and 110km/h. You do understand that stopping distance and max speed you can enter a corner depend on the speed squared? ie a car will take 40% more distance to stop from 130km/h than 110km/h, or will need 40% more grip from the tyres to go around a corner doing 130 rather than 110.
do you even know how many metres you need to stop the average falcon from 110km/h including driver reaction time?

Cars, tyres and roads have not improved that much in 30 years, certainly not the 40% needed for a 110 to 130km/h change, and the reaction time of the nut at the wheel certainly hasnt improved to cater for doing an extra 20km/h.

Not all cars on the road are 2010 models either, all of those hiace vans etc, they are certainly no better equipped than a mid 70s vehicle.

Just be content that you are driving well within the limits of your own vehicle and are enjoying a much higher level of safety than has ever been achieved before.
Agree with your points. Also motorways and Autobahns in Europe generally have barriers in the middle. Helps prevent cars getting at each other. Speeds generally cracking 150 -160kph. It takes your breath away when you're cruising at 130kph and a Merc or BMW streaks past you! You won't see an old Hiace van trundling along at 70kph on these roads!
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #28
smee323
Yes it is mine...

Would love to see it lifted.
I like to cruise at 125 or just below. Car seems to run better.
130 puts you into a different state of mind in regards concentration. May even result in less fatigue accidents.
Of course with current technology they could have variable speed limits on a lot of highways with settings controlled from a central location.
If you see fog coming in as happens around mittagong, then speed limit reduces. Still, drivers now should slow down at this time anyway as you drive to the conditions.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #29
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Agree with your points. Also motorways and Autobahns in Europe generally have barriers in the middle. Helps prevent cars getting at each other. Speeds generally cracking 150 -160kph. It takes your breath away when you're cruising at 130kph and a Merc or BMW streaks past you! You won't see an old Hiace van trundling along at 70kph on these roads!
You see alot actually, but they have the brains to do it in the slowest lane.
Old 20-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #30
CFOUR
The Destroyer

interesting. that would mean 159km/h and only 4 points and $333 fine.