Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

Default Tips on buying a new car

as the title suggest im after advice on buying a brand new car from a dealer. unfortunately its not a ford and its not for me. my girlfriend needs a new car and is looking at either a Micra or a Getz (mainly due to price)

they both appear to be "running out" these 2 models because of updated versions of the Micra and Getz to the i20, so im assuming they will want to do anything to get a sale.

so what i would like is advice on talking to them, going about the bargining process, and what sort of service/customer relations to get from the dealers.

also trading in her car, whats the best way to get the most for it. her car is a 97 honda accord exi with a rear main leak thats fairly prominent.

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
MexicanBatman
Banned

I'd save a few more pennies and get the newer model the get is ancient, the micra gutless, the i20 from what I've read has way more poke in 1.6l form... That aside I had a Getz brought it demo flogged the **** out of it and never had an issue till I traded it 45,000km later or about 300,000km with a normal driver, mate I towed my ap5 valiant behind my 1.5 getz, it was a beast, but them stories for another time....

I wouldn't buy the micra, but that's my personal opinion
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Save up, get the i20, with the 1.6L, its nuts apparently, 91Kw, more than my Fiesta which is considered "best in class". My sister has a Nissan Micra, not a big fan of it.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
6t6m

Also worth considering the Kia Rio as this and the Getz are very similar vehicles and the Rio comes with 5 year unlimited km warranty and has been updated recently. Rio also comes in 1.4 and 1.6 versions.... haha why do I feel so bad for knowing so much about a Kia Rio?
6t6m is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Kia is part of the Hyundai group, they share engines in the Cerato and i30
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If it's an auto and 5 doors you need the Micra is 15 grand on the road. Very good value.

Depends on the needs of the buyer. 3dr / 5dr? Is this a long term investment? Auto / manual? What kind of driving (loads / distances etc).

The i20 does seem like it has some decent power from that little 1.6. 91kw is outstanding. Would go very well I think.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
AussieAV

Obviously your girlfriend will choose whichever car she wants for her own very personal reasons.

As for advice about how to buy a Brand New car, I've only done it once so I've only got a couple of tips. Hope others here will give you more.

1) Decide what you want before you get into any serious negotiations. Test drive the ones you are considering. Tell the dealers you are looking at a few different cars/brands and aren't even close to a decision. Don't let any of them talk you into making a decision on the spot. Make up your mind at home.

2) Once you know what you want, get onto some forums and get advice from people who know the brand, about who the best dealers in your area are. I went to the top three recommended based on advice from the good people here on AFF. Chose the one with the best offer and whom I felt most comfortable with. As it turns out, had an issue with the car prior to delivery, but as people had said, dealer handled it well and I'm a happy customer.

3) When getting quotes, let them know you chose them because of good feedback from forums. This not only helps build a relationship, but also subtly lets them know that if they treat you bad, you'll be on the net telling thousands about your bad experience.

4) Know what your current car is worth, and what the car you want is selling for around town (forums could help again here). As a hypothetical example, if a car with a RRP of $12000 is commonly being sold for $10000, and the dealer says they'll do a $9000 changover, then you are only getting $1000 for your old car. Some dealers will however put it a different way. They'll say that the new car is $12000, and they'll give you $3000 as a trade-in, meaning a $9000 changeover. Not the case. This is designed to make you feel like your getting heaps for your old car when really you are not. They are not taking into account the discount of $2000 on the RRP being offered around town.

5) Be prepared that you won't get as much for trading-in as you would for a private sale, however there is a lot of hassle that goes with selling. Its obviously up to you if its worth the hassle.

6) When its all done, and you are picking up the car, check it thoroughly before handing over the final payment. DO NOT GIVE THEM THE MONEY UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED THE CAR IS ALL A-OK.

Hope these make sense, and help in some way. Good luck and enjoy!

Edit: PS these are just my opinions, and worked OK for me. At the end of the day do the things you and/or your girlfriend feel comfortable with.
Originally Posted by flappist
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

thanks aussie for that info.

very well aware that there are new models coming out but figured that while they are throwing out the old models (that still come with full warranty and are still brand new cars) that now would be the time to buy. she is not after a brand spanking new car with all the bells and whistles of a new model, but something reliable with good warranty that is cheap/cheap to run. which is either of those 2.
any more help would be great

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post