Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-03-2023, 10:37 PM   #2251
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So maybe 2 years ago i gave my brother a hand taming his tiny backyard. Privits (dunno if thats what they were, but he says they are) were tall and everywhere so lopped them down at the time with my chainsaw and in general tidied the place up. That was 2 years ago.
So my brother asked for a hand again claiming 'it shouldnt be too bad'. I spose if he was honest i would have said no.
Dunno what brand of weeds it is, but vine things. Could not even get down the back steps. It took me about half an hour just chopping to free up the banisters and a path down the steps. These vine are no joke between 3 foot to maybe 5 foot all through the tiny yard. No chance in hell will a whipper snipper or slasher make any progress before getting wrapped up. So yes i gave my brother the 25cc snipper that works good, but it has no chance. Not lending my 51cc snipper even though i have a slasher blade for it, that thing also has no chance. These vines are dead down low, but up top are green and like ropes. So realistically hedge clippers or a macette are the better options, but for a start herbicide makes more sense.
So my brother bought the kill everything stuff, and a sprayer. Deffinately going to take a few rounds, but after only 30 minutes the green canopy of the vines had holes burning in it.
How bad this yard is is impressive for all the wrong reasons. Once dead and dried out it will whack down easy, run it over with a mower to chop it up.
I don't suppose you took note of the weed killers name? If it was "burning holes" within 30 minutes, I would suggest that it's a knock down type of product that won't kill the weed entirely. Probably enough for you to run through it with a brush cutter, but with the potential for it to re-grow in short order.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-03-2023, 11:04 PM   #2252
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I don't suppose you took note of the weed killers name? If it was "burning holes" within 30 minutes, I would suggest that it's a knock down type of product that won't kill the weed entirely. Probably enough for you to run through it with a brush cutter, but with the potential for it to re-grow in short order.
To be fair, i don't remember what the herbiside brand was. Although the bottle did say it will rid kik and buffalo grass along with everything else.
I did look up bunnings which is where the kill everything came from but its not listed on the site.
Would i use that harsh stuff on my yard? No. Reason being, i maintain my yard. My brother lives in a townhouse with no side access. Its to messed up out the back for small equipment to deal with. There is even a suzuki rm250 in there. Its that in there that even the best eye for a wheres wally book cannot find it. I know exactly where it is, but you cannot see it.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 08:25 AM   #2253
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
For whatever reason, Victa don't fit a soft grip handle on their commercial range of mowers. That includes the MasterCut utility, the 19 and 21 inch Commercial models and the Mulchmaster.

This might seem like a trivial issue, but you certainly notice the absence of the padding with extended use. My solution has been to apply bike handlebar wrapping -

Much neater and hopefully more comfortable.
Nice one, DFB,
Being a mountain biker who uses road drop bars, I make good use of all old punctured bike tubes, (cut into strips) wrap the bars first in this, then use a quality (Cinelli) bar tape over that. It makes such a comfortable soft grip.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2023, 09:23 AM   #2254
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To be fair, i don't remember what the herbiside brand was. Although the bottle did say it will rid kik and buffalo grass along with everything else.
I did look up bunnings which is where the kill everything came from but its not listed on the site.
Would i use that harsh stuff on my yard? No. Reason being, i maintain my yard. My brother lives in a townhouse with no side access. Its to messed up out the back for small equipment to deal with. There is even a suzuki rm250 in there. Its that in there that even the best eye for a wheres wally book cannot find it. I know exactly where it is, but you cannot see it.
Are you sure you didn’t buy it from CAV?………NAPALM! ☄️
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 04:00 PM   #2255
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The parts have started to arrive for the Rover Combat.

Before I dive into the mechanicals, I'm waiting until the new fuel tank arrives. The old tank is leaking it's contents over a 24-hour period, so I want to sort that out before I pull the carby to pieces.

Arriving today was the carby kit, replacement fuel line and clips, spark plug and handlebar knobs.

The old Rover knobs had cracked, limiting their ability to tighten properly.

These aftermarket items are similar to the ones fitted to my ProCut.

Because of the reversed orientation of the handle bar on the Combat over the ProCut, I had to fit them on the inside. Either way, it's given some rigidity back to the handle.

The spark plug fitted was the classic Champion CJ8, in decent condition.

The modern replacement is the Champion J19LM, the plug fitted to the later versions of the flat head engines.

I also went around and tightened the cylinder head bolts. These have a habit of backing out over time, especially around the exhaust valve. I'm glad I did as most were needing some extra torque, again, especially the exhaust side.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2023, 04:04 PM   #2256
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I also went around and tightened the cylinder head bolts. These have a habit of backing out over time, especially around the exhaust valve. I'm glad I did as most were needing some extra torque, again, especially the exhaust side.

No tension wrench?
Old 14-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #2257
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
No tension wrench?
Yes, and I have done that before, but at the end of the day, its a lawn mower.
Mustang GT

Old 14-03-2023, 04:08 PM   #2258
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes, and I have done that before, but at the end of the day, its a lawn mower.
I shall remember that next time you detail one
Old 14-03-2023, 04:09 PM   #2259
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Touche!
Mustang GT

Old 14-03-2023, 04:18 PM   #2260
ford12

Quote:
The parts have started to arrive for the Rover Combat.

Before I dive into the mechanicals, I'm waiting until the new fuel tank arrives. The old tank is leaking it's contents over a 24-hour period, so I want to sort that out before I pull the carby to pieces.

Arriving today was the carby kit, replacement fuel line and clips, spark plug and handlebar knobs.

The old Rover knobs had cracked, limiting their ability to tighten properly.

These aftermarket items are similar to the ones fitted to my ProCut.

Because of the reversed orientation of the handle bar on the Combat over the ProCut, I had to fit them on the inside. Either way, it's given some rigidity back to the handle.

The spark plug fitted was the classic Champion CJ8, in decent condition.

The modern replacement is the Champion J19LM, the plug fitted to the later versions of the flat head engines.

If you come across any places that sell the lower part of the handle bar ( the part that connects to the mower ) let us know. I've had to weld mine a couple times now.
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 04:57 PM   #2261
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
If you come across any places that sell the lower part of the handle bar ( the part that connects to the mower ) let us know. I've had to weld mine a couple times now.
What brand/model of mower do you have?
Mustang GT

Old 14-03-2023, 04:58 PM   #2262
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
hehe classic, I should take a piccy of my new/used Victa so as DFB has a melt down LOL.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2023, 09:12 PM   #2263
ford12

Quote:
What brand/model of mower do you have?
Similar if not the same as the one your working on
ford12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2023, 09:30 PM   #2264
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford12 View Post
Similar if not the same as the one your working on
I can see what you mean, I found the part but they are listed as NLA from two different suppliers -

https://www.allmowerspares.com.au/ge...2-a03686c.html
https://www.outdoorking.com/lawn-mow...-black-a03686p

Very typical of Rover these days, no parts or support anymore.
Mustang GT

Old 16-03-2023, 06:22 PM   #2265
Kicking back

I was over at my brothers place today. The kill everything sorta works. Minor hiccup was a major downpour. But the green canopy of the vines which the evil stuff put holes in reasonably quickly has yellowed a bit of it. So its working. He put another spray over it today. It should be hot and dry for a few days.
Thinking about it. As its anywhere from 3 to 5 foot deep of weed vines. Anything that rotates will get wrapped up and not make for either a prodictive or fun time.
So feel free to chime in if this is a dumb idea. I have a hedger attachment for my whipper snipper. So it reciprocates. So that shouldnt gunk up or get wrapped up. So in my head, do a small section, get it down to a point where a whipper snipper can get the bottom and then pick it up with a mower. Then repeat on the next section. 100% its not going to be a 5 minute job even though its a small space behind a town house. Its a few day ordeal.
Old 16-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #2266
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It sounds like correct conditions for a machete. Give the herbicide a few days to track through the plant, by the time you slice it the rootstock will be dying even if not obvious.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2023, 06:50 PM   #2267
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It sounds like correct conditions for a machete. Give the herbicide a few days to track through the plant, by the time you slice it the rootstock will be dying even if not obvious.
Thought about a machete, just dunno where to get one from. I can hook you up with a place that stocks plumb bobs though.
Old 18-03-2023, 06:44 PM   #2268
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
Is Stihl equipment now made in China?

Actually looking at used demo saws but trying to gauge if quality has slipped like many products now made there.
Quote:
This is a complex question.

Stihl products are made in China, the USA and Germany. At one point they were also made in Brazil, not sure if that is still current.

It's safe to say the battery tools are from China, along with all the residential 2-stoke machines. That would be the 27.7cc blowers, trimmers, hedgers, multi-tools and the lower powered chainsaws.

I know a lot of Chainsaws and certain trimmers are made in the US factory.

Germany produces the higher end equipment, chainsaws and presumably demo saws.

I think where Stihl have gone cheap is at the lower end of the market, as in the residential gear. This has had the effect of cheapening the brand image overall, bringing down the good they do further up the range, especially on chainsaws.

I think it would be safe to assume demo-saws would be either US or German made.
Returning to this subject, this video explains how to determine the build location on Stihl products -

To summarize, the first number of the serial number is the factory in which it was made -

1 = Germany
2 = USA (Virginia Beach)
3 = Brazil
5 = USA
8 = China

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2023, 07:00 PM   #2269
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

So, from that information, I have the following -

Stihl BG 86 blower - Plant 5 (USA)

Stihl 009L chainsaw - Plant 1 (Germany)

Stihl MS271 chainsaw - Plant 5 (USA)

Stihl KMA 56 Kombi engine - Plant 2 (USA)

My 028AV Super starts with 4, which could predate this system.

Interesting to see the BG86 is made in the USA, I was under the impression it was Chinese.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 18-03-2023, 08:00 PM   #2270
Kicking back

So i was on my brothers back. Apparently he has done round 2 of the kill everything on his overgrown yard and its working. He doesnt want to go too hard on the chemicals as to not salt the earth if that makes sense. So the 'plan' is, monday he brings his aute over to load all my equipment and fishing gear. Fishing gear is unrelated.
So that parts fine, but his angle is my driveway is not low car friendly. I know this. I scrape daily leaving and entering my driveway. I have moved my trailer plug to a mount off the tow ball as i was over ripping them off. Not my issue that his aute is way too low.
Anyhow, if the kill everything is doing its job, with a bit of effort, should be able to make decent progress in eventually. Dont want to talk it up as, yeah. That.
Also lent my mate my whipper snipper today. It has a quick feed spool on it. If you bump it the thing is mad. If it runs out of line its mad easy to re spool it. If you do not bump it and break the line when there is line in the spool, thats a raging pain in the hole. So thats what my mate did. Good think i am good at fixing stuffż.
Enough about hating mates.
Then there was my suggestion. Run the edger attachment to cut the runners.
The edger blade thing i have works, but i reckon its a bit ****.
So my mate ran it and thinks its amazing. Yes it works but, lets leave it at that.
Old 18-03-2023, 08:06 PM   #2271
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So i was on my brothers back. Apparently he has done round 2 of the kill everything on his overgrown yard and its working. He doesnt want to go too hard on the chemicals as to not salt the earth if that makes sense. So the 'plan' is, monday he brings his aute over to load all my equipment and fishing gear. Fishing gear is unrelated.
So that parts fine, but his angle is my driveway is not low car friendly. I know this. I scrape daily leaving and entering my driveway. I have moved my trailer plug to a mount off the tow ball as i was over ripping them off. Not my issue that his aute is way too low.
Anyhow, if the kill everything is doing its job, with a bit of effort, should be able to make decent progress in eventually. Dont want to talk it up as, yeah. That.
Also lent my mate my whipper snipper today. It has a quick feed spool on it. If you bump it the thing is mad. If it runs out of line its mad easy to re spool it. If you do not bump it and break the line when there is line in the spool, thats a raging pain in the hole. So thats what my mate did. Good think i am good at fixing stuffż.
Enough about hating mates.
Then there was my suggestion. Run the edger attachment to cut the runners.
The edger blade thing i have works, but i reckon its a bit ****.
So my mate ran it and thinks its amazing. Yes it works but, lets leave it at that.
You know 4 I quite enjoy most of your posts,but this one I can’t really get the gist of what you are trying to say
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2023, 08:15 PM   #2272
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
You know 4 I quite enjoy most of your posts,but this one I can’t really get the gist of what you are trying to say
Well, it all depends on how many drinks are in me.
Old 19-03-2023, 11:48 PM   #2273
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the bushranger has had a proper shakedown, it’s done one cut cycle of most of my lawns. Yesterday I took it to my hills property where normally use their 12yo Honda self propelled, on about 2000sqm of kikuyu including some overgrown areas near the septic leech field.
Basically what a stellar performer! Powered thru well, the hooded catcher flap allows slashing without hooking it up, but in the heavy bits, lifting it all the way results in a rooster tail of grass, the size of which I’ve never seen from a push mower.
Top speed is quicker than the old Honda, so it covers ground really quickly, and strangely, it cuts the heavy stuff better at a higher speed rather than a low speed.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 20-03-2023, 05:01 PM   #2274
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
So the bushranger has had a proper shakedown, it’s done one cut cycle of most of my lawns. Yesterday I took it to my hills property where normally use their 12yo Honda self propelled, on about 2000sqm of kikuyu including some overgrown areas near the septic leech field.
Basically what a stellar performer! Powered thru well, the hooded catcher flap allows slashing without hooking it up, but in the heavy bits, lifting it all the way results in a rooster tail of grass, the size of which I’ve never seen from a push mower.
Top speed is quicker than the old Honda, so it covers ground really quickly, and strangely, it cuts the heavy stuff better at a higher speed rather than a low speed.
Brilliant!

How are you faring with the overall weight of the machine? That's probably the byproduct of it being so stoutly built and need a fair bit of manhandling in tighter areas.

I also wish they had a longer starter rope on the Honda engine as this would permit the use of a zone-starter on the handle. I tried fitting a second hand one on mine, but the rope was not long enough to start the engine properly.

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2023, 06:41 PM   #2275
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Brilliant!

How are you faring with the overall weight of the machine? That's probably the byproduct of it being so stoutly built and need a fair bit of manhandling in tighter areas.

I also wish they had a longer starter rope on the Honda engine as this would permit the use of a zone-starter on the handle. I tried fitting a second hand one on mine, but the rope was not long enough to start the engine properly.

The starter to me feels like only half a pull, and it’s heavy, so yes, it should be longer to make starting more comfortable.
The weight is no problem now that I’m not caning myself to push it around. I did make one change to the ramp into the van, the original needed you to pivot the mower on its back wheels to clear the step above the bumper. Now the top of the ramp rests directly on the van floor, so easy in and out.
Really tight or small lawns I use low gear so I don’t churn up the surface.
One positive of the soft catcher is more storage space in the van, you can squash things right up against the back of the mower while the catcher is attached.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-03-2023, 06:42 PM   #2276
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not technically a mowing question but I figured it was close enough...

After 15 years of faithful service my Bunnings 2-stroke Ryobi whipper snipper has gone to a better place. To replace it I'm tossing up whether to go another petrol job or whether to make the jump to battery powered. I'm on an 850m2 suburban block that I keep pretty well maintained so only light-medium trimming required.

If I go the petrol option I might go for another Ryobi - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-25...immer_p0067435 or maybe even one of the Stihls - https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...FS-45-C-E.aspx.

If I go the battery route I know that the costs are higher but there's something about not mucking around with fuel/oil and pulling a starter cord over and over that is very appealing. One that I've looked at is a Ryobi 36V - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-36...r-kit_p0215285 which seems to have a few reasonable reviews online.

At the top end is this 56V beauty from Ego - https://www.totaltools.com.au/186599...-kit-st1624e-t. Electric line loading and auto line feed are attractive features.

What say you, learned brethren? Any advice on what to look at and what to avoid?
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2023, 06:57 PM   #2277
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR View Post

At the top end is this 56V beauty from Ego - https://www.totaltools.com.au/186599...-kit-st1624e-t. Electric line loading and auto line feed are attractive features.

What say you, learned brethren? Any advice on what to look at and what to avoid?
I've had one for a couple of years, love it.

Their warranty service (mower with broken plastic handle adjusting catch) is brilliant.
Old 21-03-2023, 07:03 PM   #2278
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Not technically a mowing question but I figured it was close enough...

After 15 years of faithful service my Bunnings 2-stroke Ryobi whipper snipper has gone to a better place. To replace it I'm tossing up whether to go another petrol job or whether to make the jump to battery powered. I'm on an 850m2 suburban block that I keep pretty well maintained so only light-medium trimming required.

If I go the petrol option I might go for another Ryobi - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-25...immer_p0067435 or maybe even one of the Stihls - https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...FS-45-C-E.aspx.

If I go the battery route I know that the costs are higher but there's something about not mucking around with fuel/oil and pulling a starter cord over and over that is very appealing. One that I've looked at is a Ryobi 36V - https://www.bunnings.com.au/ryobi-36...r-kit_p0215285 which seems to have a few reasonable reviews online.

First of all, I'm going to say ignore the Ryobi machines, there are better out there.

If you want to spend the extra on a battery machine, then that EGO is the way to go, mainly because of the robust battery and charging system that EGO has. You can then add tools as you go, the blowers are especially good. The kit you have shortlisted is also the one to get, it has the larger 5.0ah battery and Rapid Charger.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/186599...-kit-st1624e-t

For petrol power with a bent shaft, the Stihl FS45 is a solid performer. I would say skip the FC45 CE that you have linked and get the cheaper FS45. The "CE" denotes the easy-start recoil system that is prone to failure. If you are fit and able, and want to save yourself $30, you won't need the easy start system, it's not like they are a high compression 60cc chainsaw.

https://www.stihl.com.au/STIHL-Produ...584/FS-45.aspx

For a straight shaft trimmer, I would be looking at the Husqvarna's over the heavier Stihl's. If I was in the market for a new trimmer, I would be buying another 522L in a heartbeat. The 522L is the lightest of all their trimmers, the next in line would be the 129LK.

https://www.husqvarna.com/au/grass-trimmers/522l/
https://www.husqvarna.com/au/grass-trimmers/129lk/
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2023, 09:30 PM   #2279
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks very much for the feedback.

While the Huskies look pretty impressive, at that price point I feel like I'd definitely lean toward the Ego. I might take a look at Total Tools this weekend.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2023, 09:36 PM   #2280
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Thanks very much for the feedback.

While the Huskies look pretty impressive, at that price point I feel like I'd definitely lean toward the Ego. I might take a look at Total Tools this weekend.
I should add that my whipper snipper only has a 1.5ah battery, I would have thought the heavy 5ah would make it hard to handle....but then again, I'm a sook.

Oh and get a shoulder strap as well, makes a big difference