Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #31
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

you have dirty injectors

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 07:39 PM   #32
ubuxkl
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken
Are you using a high flow air filter?
UK
No I'm not UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJECTED_250
manifold gaskets tend to crack and split.. this causes a leak at idle giving a rough idle... Use some CRC / water hell anything and spray it over the manifold where its bolted to the head.. if u hear a loud hissing or it runs differntly then thats ya prob.. i
Thanks Injected_250. I'll give it a try - or get my mechanic to. I'm searching for things for them to try I guess.

http://www.aufalcon.com/ubuxkl
ubuxkl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #33
ubuxkl
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
you have dirty injectors
They gave them a "purge" last August during a service. You think it would be that Ratter?

At the service they did in January, they hooked up the computer and it didn't return any faults.

What a pain. The damn thing drives beautifully but I hate having things like this : :

http://www.aufalcon.com/ubuxkl
ubuxkl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 07:43 PM   #34
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuxkl
No I'm not UK.

Thanks Injected_250. I'll give it a try - or get my mechanic to. I'm searching for things for them to try I guess.
OK thats me out. I found that a stock filter gives a better idea at times

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 09:42 PM   #35
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubuxkl
They gave them a "purge" last August during a service. You think it would be that Ratter?

At the service they did in January, they hooked up the computer and it didn't return any faults.

What a pain. The damn thing drives beautifully but I hate having things like this : :
If the car is ok on gas, the only difference is the fuel system, so the problem points to petrol, as it is only an idle problem I would say it is injectors as fuel pump or supply problems get worse as revs increase when the demand for fuel flow is greater.
Dirty or leaking injectors do not show up any codes.

Old 21-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #36
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU's tend to get loosening of the inlet manifold bolts, which gives the same sort of symptoms as a buggered inlet gasket, so it's worth getting a size 10 spanner and giving the ones you can get to a good tightening.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #37
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
AU's tend to get loosening of the inlet manifold bolts, which gives the same sort of symptoms as a buggered inlet gasket, so it's worth getting a size 10 spanner and giving the ones you can get to a good tightening.
and that problem would show on both fuels

Old 22-02-2008, 04:57 PM   #38
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine starting doing this when I got an aftermarket exhaust. Haven't been able to work it out yet. I've replaced the coil pack, oxy sensor, plugs and leads so I know they aren't involved.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #39
nitro
Nitro

Default Re: I give up!! Au missing at idle drives ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagirl67 View Post
Well got my dad to clean the throttle body but it made no difference. Then he put the idles up so it idles in park at 750-800rpm. Now in gear with my foot on the brake it idles at 650rpms. Now it doesnt stall when I come to a stop at lights etc. Hooray!! Still has a slight miss intermittently when idling in gear but I suppose I will have to live with that. At least it doesnt stall now!!

I was about to say adjust the throttle body stop screw like I did and for me it stopped the rev hang when stopping and all the hesitation disappeared just from a little turn of a screw....after all the new components I replaced ISC TPS coil packs leads plugs hahaha for me it was just a 1/4 turn of the stop screw and she idles and drives beautifully now..
Anyway going to go and check myself into a mental institution now my brain is fried.
nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #40
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Well got my dad to clean the throttle body but it made no difference. Then he put the idles up so it idles in park at 750-800rpm. Now in gear with my foot on the brake it idles at 650rpms. Now it doesnt stall when I come to a stop at lights etc. Hooray!! Still has a slight miss intermittently when idling in gear but I suppose I will have to live with that. At least it doesnt stall now!!
That's not really a fix it is just masking the issue and will cause increased fuel consumption and accelerated engine wear (washed bored from over-fueling at idle). It is very likely, as others have said, a vacuum leak in the inlet manifold gasket. Check for vacuum leaks particularly at the inlet manifold the bottom of number 1 and 6 where the inlet manifold mates with the head both when the engine is hot and cold. Use a length of windscreen washer sized hose with one end in the ear to listen for the telltale sucking noise of a vacuum leak while poking around under the manifold at idle. Note the pre fuel injection trick of using engine start sprays etc will often not work to find these leaks as the ECU rapidly adjust for the change in air in the mixture and it's hard to pick up any change in the engine noise or rpms. Just tightening the manifold fasteners usually won't fix it as a small piece of the gasket at the lower part of the inlet port usually burns through once the nuts have become loose.

Last edited by aussiblue; 23-11-2020 at 07:34 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2024, 07:22 AM   #41
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my au xr6 hesitates at idle and runs perfect i squirted soapy water around the rear of engine between the gap in the inlet manifold and it instantly ran on 5 cyclinders. whats going on ?
david lee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2024, 10:18 AM   #42
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like you've found a vacuum leak.
If you weren't looking for a vacuum leak.
Why would you be squirting soapy water on the engine?
What did you expect to happen?
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2024, 09:45 PM   #43
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
Looks like you've found a vacuum leak.
If you weren't looking for a vacuum leak.
Why would you be squirting soapy water on the engine?
What did you expect to happen?
someone mentioned inlet manifold leak and said to use soapy water in a squirt bottle im hoping its an leaking injector.at least i can tell the mech what i did when he comes to pick the car up once before ive degreased the engine and hosed it off with no problems
Old 22-01-2024, 06:51 AM   #44
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lee View Post
someone mentioned inlet manifold leak and said to use soapy water in a squirt bottle im hoping its an leaking injector.at least i can tell the mech what i did when he comes to pick the car up once before ive degreased the engine and hosed it off with no problems
Why would you be hoping it is a leaking injector when everything points to a broken inlet manifold gasket?

An inlet manifold gasket is a lot cheaper and easier to fix being a $25 job and takes about an hour to replace if you don't know what you are doing.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-01-2024, 10:28 AM   #45
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Why would you be hoping it is a leaking injector when everything points to a broken inlet manifold gasket?

An inlet manifold gasket is a lot cheaper and easier to fix being a $25 job and takes about an hour to replace if you don't know what you are doing.
thanks. thats great news i thought it was the other way around i drove it today and it was good. no problem but i know it will re surface iread that the gasket is a common fault