Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #1
paul_r_d

Default please help... new car purchase

Ok guys, I know being on Ford forum website every one will tell me go the Ford, BUT for all you non-biased people (lol) out there, I have a question.
I have narrowed down my new car purchase to a Ford Fiesta or a Mazda 2 Neo. I want either in an automatic.
I have no idea about the make and motor quality of each car, so could some one please tell me which one I should go for and why. Thanks

paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Hi Mate, Have you taken each one for a test drive yet ?
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #3
paul_r_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgEA
Hi Mate, Have you taken each one for a test drive yet ?
Yep it's what I did today, both are very nice drives thats why I am so confused.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, well to start off with the motors, all the Mazda 2's (Neo, Maxx and Genki) have a 1.5L 76kW motor. The ford (I assume you are talking about the lx 3 door) has a 1.6L 74kW, so basically they're both pretty much the same.
The ford has 15inch wheels compared to the mazdas 14's.They both have the same gearbox options, 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto, all have ABS and airbags, power mirrors, all that stuff.
Personally, I wouldn't get either, I'd look at the Toyota Yaris, it costs a bit less, and you can either get the 1.3L or 1.5L engine (1.5L makes 80kW), and in my opinion, it looks better than the other too, and being a toyota, it will NEVER break down.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
paul_r_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_eb_fairmont
Ok, well to start off with the motors, all the Mazda 2's (Neo, Maxx and Genki) have a 1.5L 76kW motor. The ford (I assume you are talking about the lx 3 door) has a 1.6L 74kW, so basically they're both pretty much the same.
The ford has 15inch wheels compared to the mazdas 14's.They both have the same gearbox options, 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto, all have ABS and airbags, power mirrors, all that stuff.
Personally, I wouldn't get either, I'd look at the Toyota Yaris, it costs a bit less, and you can either get the 1.3L or 1.5L engine (1.5L makes 80kW), and in my opinion, it looks better than the other too, and being a toyota, it will NEVER break down.
I test drove one about 3 weeks ago. I have to say nice aswell... but I really couldnt stand the spedo and instruments in the middle of the dash. I am pretty sure they were dearer. 1.5 auto was about the 20k mark.
But thanks for your advice. Its ones like that I want
Old 05-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

They are farily evenly matched, but I'd go for the Mazda with the Safety Pack (stability control, traction control, side and curtain airbags). It's a lot newer than the Fiesta and quite better looking. The Fiesta is also due to be replaced in the next couple of years with a dramatically different model (based on the Verve concept), with the possibility of a new nameplate to replace 'Fiesta' - which will adversely affect resale value.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #7
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
They are farily evenly matched, but I'd go for the Mazda with the Safety Pack (stability control, traction control, side and curtain airbags). It's a lot newer than the Fiesta and quite better looking. The Fiesta is also due to be replaced in the next couple of years with a dramatically different model (based on the Verve concept), with the possibility of a new nameplate to replace 'Fiesta' - which will adversely affect resale value.
Yes I have to agree with 'Adrenaline', The Fiesta is great car, In my opinion better than the Yaris (I too am not a fan of the instrument placing in the Toyota), But you can't ignore the fresh look of the new 2. As an above post stated, Mechanicaly they are both similar, but with the 2 you get the newer shape, Mazda reliability and resale, and you don't have to deal with Ford's disgracefully patchy dealer/ service center network.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're probably more likely to get a good deal on the Fiesta.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 PM   #9
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go the mazda mate it will last a lot longer and the resale will be alot better too.....jap cars very well made these days....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Werd.
nou

Mazda 2. Fiesta is due to be replaced very soon. mazda is a new model.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 11:05 PM   #11
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r_d
Ok guys, I know being on Ford forum website every one will tell me go the Ford, BUT for all you non-biased people (lol) out there, I have a question.
I have narrowed down my new car purchase to a Ford Fiesta or a Mazda 2 Neo. I want either in an automatic.
I have no idea about the make and motor quality of each car, so could some one please tell me which one I should go for and why. Thanks

Once you made up your mind which one try this site for the best price

On new car prices

www.discountnewcars.com.au/

Save me over 5K

Just have a copy printed stating the discount that you can received and

bargain with sales reps for the best deal

Cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 04:35 AM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

They're both exactly the same car underneath. Same platform.

I'd buy the Fiesta because...

#1. Looks better (IMO)
#2. Better interior (you can feel it when you touch it)
#3. Sturdier construction
#4. Drives better (driven several Mazda 2's and owned a 2005 Fiesta Zetec)
#6. Where it's built (Germany)
#7. Better torque (74kW @ 6000rpm and 146Nm @ 4000rpm for the Fiesta vs 76kW @ 6000rpm and 137Nm @ 4000rpm for the 2, plus the Fiesta is stronger at 2000-3500rpm).
#8. Better engine. The 1.6 "Duratec," is far better then the 1.5 MZR in my opinion.

That about sums it up. They're the same car, but one's better.

And my opinion after owning a Fiesta and working at a Mazda service department... the Fiesta is the better built car.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r_d

There is only one answer to your question and that is; buy the Mazda.
I have an F6, my wife has a Mazda SP23.

The Mazda service is outstanding, the Ford "service" is non-existant.

The F6 has been back countless times for warranty claims, the Mazda has not been back once in 48,000kms for warranty.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #14
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
There is only one answer to your question and that is; buy the Mazda.
I have an F6, my wife has a Mazda SP23.

The Mazda service is outstanding, the Ford "service" is non-existant.

The F6 has been back countless times for warranty claims, the Mazda has not been back once in 48,000kms for warranty.
You do realise that the German built Fiesta, which is, exactly the same car underneath as the Mazda 2 has about as much to do with your built-in-Melbourne F6 Typhoon as a piece of beef does with an apple?

They're both food, just as the Fiesta and F6 are both cars.

Reminder to all - the quality or lack thereof of American and Australian Ford products has absolutley NOTHING to do with cars like the Fiesta.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
XRUTEDAVE
Starter Motor

If you can't decide one over the other, then go with the one that costs less.
XRUTEDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #16
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRUTEDAVE
If you can't decide one over the other, then go with the one that costs less.
spot on, just go to both dealers and get them to work for you, the one who gives you the best deal, buy that car.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #17
paul_r_d

Thanks guys! The Fiesta so far has been the cheaper one. I like Fiesta's stick on road handling everyone reports on. And as some mentoined the Fiesta's interior is very nice, and not so plastically looking. I am going this Wednesday to take them both for a test drive again, and make my decision. ;)
Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Intersetingly while acknowledging they are built on the same platform the "Dog and Lemon Guide" http://www2.dogandlemon.com/ summarise by saying of the Fiesta " avoid like the plague" and of the Mazda 3 "Recommended".
Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I think the quality difference is Mazda is still built in Japan while the Fiesta is build in Germany (but both export models soon to be made in the new Auto Alliance Plant Thailand).
Old 06-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go the Mazda 2.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #21
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Good luck, you can't really go wrong with either, they are both great little cars.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Although some Mazda 2's are already built in China http://www.boston.com/business/artic...n_thai_plant/:

[QUOTE]The latest announcement follows the start last month of Ford and Mazda's factory in Nanjing, China, held jointly with local partner Chongqing Changan Automobile Co. The 160,000 unit a year plant also builds the Mazda2 model.[QUOTE]
Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

There is a comparison article here: http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...rticleID=19019

There was also some speculation that the 2008 production of both that both the Fiesta and Mazda 2 would be from China http://www.themotorreport.com.au/339...made-in-china/

Quote:
The plant in which the 2008 Mazda 2 (pictured) will be built is a joint venture effort between Mazda’s partners in China, the Changan Automotive Group and Ford who will market the new Mazda 2 under their Fiesta badge.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #24
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_eb_fairmont
it will NEVER break down
I'm not sure if 'NEVER' needed to be in capitals. I know people who would beg to differ to this comment.
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #25
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I would recommend anyone buying a car new or secondhand first get and read a copy of "The Dog & Lemon Guide" . At $25 from your local newsagent you won't be able say you weren't warned or didn't know what to expect in terms of failures.

Yes it has a NZ bias and yes it is somewhat (perhaps even extremely) hypercritical but it is rarely wrong. At worse read it on the basis of things to look out for that might go wrong (or might already have gone wrong).

It somewhat cans the E series Fairlanes I own but I accept what they say in terms of build quality and cylinder heads. I bought them on the basis of required boot space (two children playing roller hockey) , size, price, ready access and price of spare parts and ease of DYI repairs. I still love them but acknowledge their shortcomings and frailties (to deal with the cognitive dissonance I say it gives them character).
Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
#2. Better interior (you can feel it when you touch it)
#3. Sturdier construction
The "Dog and Lemon Guide doesn't agree with that saying:

Quote:
the interior is poorly built and prone to rattles and vibrations."

and snip-------------------

feels like a ten year old Daewoo model not a stylish European alternative to Eastern cars
see page 291 "The Dog and Lemon Guide" Punblications (2008) Ltd C. Matthew Wilson 2008 Grey Lynn Auckland New Zealand.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Bottom line being happy with a car is a heart and mind thing. If neither is happy with the original choice you won't be happy in the longer term.

So read The Dog and Lemon Guide and then drive the cars. If your mind can't live with the reported quality issues of the Fiesta or the price of the Mazda or your heart can't live with comparative test drive boringness of the Mazda keep looking until you find a car that both your heart and mind (or the heart and mind of whoever is going to mainly drive the car) is happy with.

Last edited by aussiblue; 06-01-2008 at 02:56 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #28
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Steffo when did you get the Fiesta I thought you had a Nissan Pintara or such like?
Old 06-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

OK Steffo; I found your old post where you moved on to a Fiesta in Dec 04. Your older model Fiesta got an OK review in the Dog and Lemon Guide so perhaps Ford Europe's export RHD cars quality has slipped since then.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #30
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
You do realise that the German built Fiesta, which is, exactly the same car underneath as the Mazda 2 has about as much to do with your built-in-Melbourne F6 Typhoon as a piece of beef does with an apple?

They're both food, just as the Fiesta and F6 are both cars.

Reminder to all - the quality or lack thereof of American and Australian Ford products has absolutley NOTHING to do with cars like the Fiesta.
fiestas arnt built in germany (they are designed there) the only ford built there is xr5....and they arnt the same as a mazda2 the new mazda2 has a new platform as does the new 6 about to be released as well....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post