Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Difference between 200 and 220 XR8?

I was sure this has been covered many times, but i was unsuccessful in my search. So if anyone has a link or two, that would be awesome. I figured since I am looking to buy one I would find out. Is there any mechanical difference between the 200kW and 220kW XR8 motors?

Evan

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Mechanically they have a different cam (from memory the 200 cam is actually bigger than the 220), and the heads and inlet manifold were tickled a bit by Yella Terra, but nothing too huge, and the tuning is a bit different. Otherwise they're the same.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, so its not just different mappings and an exhaust upgrade as i have been told? Does that make the 220 that much better or is it much of a muchness anyway?
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
Oh, so its not just different mappings and an exhaust upgrade as i have been told? Does that make the 220 that much better or is it much of a muchness anyway?
Can't really tell you much about exhausts as on the utes they're all the same, but the work done by YT is not really a quantum leap over stock. Yes it is better, but to be honest I wouldn't let it stop me from buying a really nice 200 if one came up. If you want serious performance you'd be looking at edit, headers exhaust etc anyway in which case you'd be well over 220 even if you started on a 200 motor.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

i had the same problems when i was looking for an xr8. in the end i went for the 200kw au2 cauz it had less k's and had more options.

as for the differences as b2tf has said, its cam, roller rockers 200kw has 1.6 FMS as where 220kw has 1.72 yella terra ones. the 200kw has a 65mm t/b as where the 220kw has a 70mm. and then yella terra did some slight port matching between the bottom manifold to the heads. (which has also been said isnt anything special) the 220kw motor also got an engine oil cooler.
i have a mate that works for ford parts and we checked the factory fuel regs, headers and cats and they are the same part numbers for both motors.
and of course the 220kw will have a different tune in the ecu
TICK4D-TAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS
i had the same problems when i was looking for an xr8. in the end i went for the 200kw au2 cauz it had less k's and had more options.

as for the differences as b2tf has said, its cam, roller rockers 200kw has 1.6 FMS as where 220kw has 1.72 yella terra ones. the 200kw has a 65mm t/b as where the 220kw has a 70mm. and then yella terra did some slight port matching between the bottom manifold to the heads. (which has also been said isnt anything special) the 220kw motor also got an engine oil cooler.
i have a mate that works for ford parts and we checked the factory fuel regs, headers and cats and they are the same part numbers for both motors.
and of course the 220kw will have a different tune in the ecu
ahhhh thanks for picking that one up - the rockers are different and the oil cooler, i knew i was forgetting something.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:11 PM   #7
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting you bring it up, I just came across an old Wheels magazine (Sept 2001) the other day which has an article detailing exactly what Tickford did to the 200kw motor to get it to 220kw, right after their article comparing the 220 XR8 to the VX SS (it smashed it, by the way!). It was a great read, and contrary to the above apparently they do modify the fuel pressure regulator to deliver more fuel.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #8
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks heaps guys. Sounds to me like it would be worth hanging out for a 220kW version then. I would only be looking at changing the exhaust and getting an edit, so it would work out better. I guess having an oil cooler the 220 would also last longer as well. Just got to keep my ear to the ground, as i do want a manual and they would sell fairly quickly.

Evan
Old 01-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #9
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
ahhhh thanks for picking that one up - the rockers are different and the oil cooler, i knew i was forgetting something.
np. always happy to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Interesting you bring it up, I just came across an old Wheels magazine (Sept 2001) the other day which has an article detailing exactly what Tickford did to the 200kw motor to get it to 220kw, right after their article comparing the 220 XR8 to the VX SS (it smashed it, by the way!). It was a great read, and contrary to the above apparently they do modify the fuel pressure regulator to deliver more fuel.
yeah i was told the exact same thing, hence why we were checking it out on microcat (ford parts program) the only v8 motor we could find to have a different fuel reg part number was 250kw motor. I might have to make another phone call and get him to check further

Classic AU - if you only plan on doing an exhaust and an edit then yeah i would wait for a 220kw motor.
When i bought mine i went for the one with more options cauz i new that i was going to change the cam / RR in time. also have changed the t/b and added the oil cooler and that type of stuff.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:14 AM   #10
BJ TE50

Can anyone describe what the engine oil cooler looks like. Im certain my motor is the 200 kw version but it has a tiny little radiator out the front which i can only think would be an engine oil cooler. The car is manual so it shouldnt be for the transmission.
BJ TE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 02:25 AM   #11
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly_Weapon
Can anyone describe what the engine oil cooler looks like. Im certain my motor is the 200 kw version but it has a tiny little radiator out the front which i can only think would be an engine oil cooler. The car is manual so it shouldnt be for the transmission.
what oil filter does it take, if it takes a Z89 then yours would be a 220, if it takes a Z9 it will be a 200.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:56 AM   #12
BJ TE50

Ok im pretty sure it has an AFL 1 which I think is the equivalent to a Z9. Any idea what the cooler would be for?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 AM   #13
BJ TE50

Here is a photo. Couldnt get a better shot as car is parked up close to the wall.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #14
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Here is a photo. Couldnt get a better shot as car is parked up close to the wall.

that looks like the power sterring cooler. oil cooler sits up the top near the bonnet catch.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:36 AM   #15
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

while reading this thread i have noticed the constant reference to headers/extractors, just how much difference in kw's do they make over the factory items?

my Fairlane is an AU2 so it should be the 185 kw i think and i would like to bump it without ripping the engine down.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #16
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
my Fairlane is an AU2 so it should be the 185 kw i think and i would like to bump it without ripping the engine down.
If its 185kw, then its already got the XR/Tickford extractors. Otherwise its a 175kw....

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers
while reading this thread i have noticed the constant reference to headers/extractors, just how much difference in kw's do they make over the factory items?

Regardless of series, all non XR V8's are 175kw. Headers/extractors and a full exhaust system are the first place most people start when modding because apart from the heads, they are one of the most restrictive parts on the car.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Ok im pretty sure it has an AFL 1 which I think is the equivalent to a Z9. Any idea what the cooler would be for?
AL1= Z9 and as has been said below, it looks to be the power steering cooler which all models have.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Just while we are on the subject, is it correct to assume all 220's had the signed build plate on the rocker cover as well?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICK4D-TAS
Classic AU - if you only plan on doing an exhaust and an edit then yeah i would wait for a 220kw motor.
When i bought mine i went for the one with more options because i knew that i was going to change the cam / RR in time. also have changed the t/b and added the oil cooler and that type of stuff.
Thanks mate. The main reason i want an XR8 is so i don't have to spend anymore money on it. I already have a SCT Flash Tuner and I'm sure a decent exhaust is not all that much. Other than that it looks the biz and has the sports suspension already. I just hope i can find a nice one.

Evan
Old 02-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #21
DirtyHarry
Do you feel lucky?

Didn't YT put bigger valves in the 220 heads?
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #22
TICK4D-TAS
Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry
Didn't YT put bigger valves in the 220 heads?
ah yes they did. i knew i was forgetting something.

200kw is inlet = 46.7mm exhaust = 39.2mm
220kw is inlet = 49.3mm exhaust = 39.4mm
Old 02-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Just while we are on the subject, is it correct to assume all 220's had the signed build plate on the rocker cover as well?
yep, but so did all the 200's so it's not really a distinguishing feature. more to th point, i just noticed your sig, where are the bloody PICS!:hihi:
Old 02-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
AL1= Z9 and as has been said below, it looks to be the power steering cooler which all models have.
Austin mine runs a Z9 equivalent oil filter, the big one, even with the oil cooler. They are cheaper and easier to get a hold of and they just fit.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #25
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Austin mine runs a Z9 equivalent oil filter, the big one, even with the oil cooler. They are cheaper and easier to get a hold of and they just fit.
weird, ryco lists Z89 as the one for the oil coolers, from memory the lines to and from the cooler are around the filter point, or something like that.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 AM   #26
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
weird, ryco lists Z89 as the one for the oil coolers, from memory the lines to and from the cooler are around the filter point, or something like that.
I tried putting a z9 on my car the the other day, no way in hell was I ever going to get it to fit with the oil cooler. On my car there just wasn't enough room from the oil cooler to the frame to get the lengthy z9 to fit

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
I tried putting a z9 on my car the the other day, no way in hell was I ever going to get it to fit with the oil cooler. On my car there just wasn't enough room from the oil cooler to the frame to get the lengthy z9 to fit
You guys just aren't trying hard enough. The Z89 is the listed part number but you can still get a Z9 in there, you just have to do a bit of manipulating with the oil cooler lines. Mine now fits in a bit easier since the rebuild but even before that I could just squeeze it in.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #28
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
yep, but so did all the 200's so it's not really a distinguishing feature. more to th point, i just noticed your sig, where are the bloody PICS!:hihi:
He he the pics will be coming shortly! Sure is an improvement over the old rocket though.....

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2007, 11:10 AM   #29
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to bring this back up again, but i have another question. What year did Ford start with the 220kW motor? Was it only 2001 or did they pu them in late 2000 model XR8's as well?

Evan
Old 13-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
Sorry to bring this back up again, but i have another question. What year did Ford start with the 220kW motor? Was it only 2001 or did they pu them in late 2000 model XR8's as well?

Evan
06/01 I'm pretty sure it was.