Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 17-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
theBlake

Default Relocate cigarette lighter options

I have found that in my LS LX Focus manual that the cigarette lighter is too close to the gearstick. When i have one of my chargers connected its too easy to get tangled up when changing gears.

Has anyone looked at getting the cigarette lighter relocated? I actually wouldnt mind getting a couple of extra ones retrofitted, as i have 3 different chargers and i dont want wires everywhere.

Obviously the glovebox or centre console is a good place to start (even one in the rear end of the console) - but I would dearly love to hear from someone who has actually done it, or has seriously looked into it, thanks.

Old 17-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #2
BlackLS

I've seriously looked into doing something similar. Take off the panel next to the glovebox (peel back the black door rubber and pry the panel back with a wooden ruler or something like that, and keep an eye on where all the clips go.

Here you can see the side of the glovebox where you could possibly fit a cig lighter socket.

If you would like less cutting and hole making look out for a 2 or 4 way cig lighter breakout box, and hard wire it to behind the cig lighter socket.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Uni

i have also looked at this, and solution i came up with is to drill a hole in the bottom of that little nook where the socket is, and another in the bottom of the cup holders or the CD storage bin, and run the wires through the plastic mouldings around the gear lever. to do this properly will require cutting the wires on the chargers, fitting them, and soldering them back together, or soldering in a clip (my choice) so that they can be easily removed

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post