Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
XRSXC

Default Au Series 3 XR6 MODS?

Hi I am new to the forum and don't really know what I am doing.

I was just wondering if you guys would be able to give me some advice on what mods I could do to my 2002 AU 3 XR6.

I was thinking of Putting on a high flow pod filter this weekend. What benefits would I get from this and is there anything I need to do or can i just take the old box out and put the pod straight on the end of the pipe thing?

XRSXC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
2002au
Define definitive

Default Re: Au Series 3 XR6 MODS?

hi mate, if u put a pod straight on the pipe with no air box or heat shield it might be sucking in hot air from the engine which is no good. what i did and alot of people do id put a K&N filter in the standard airbox and then a xr6t snorkel from a BA/BF falcon. i found it gave better throttle response and an awesome induction sound.

other good mods are pacemaker extractors, high flow cat and a good exhaust.
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
XRSXC

Hi. Thanks for that I was a bit worried about it being so close to the engine. Do you have any idea where I would get a XR6T snorkel and umm What is it? Im only 18 and dont really know to much about cars but i really want to know so i will probably be asking stupid questions for years to come
Old 16-05-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
XRSXC

Will be looking into the extractors and cats as well as exhaust. any suggestions for the exhaust.
Old 16-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
2002au
Define definitive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRSXC
Hi. Thanks for that I was a bit worried about it being so close to the engine. Do you have any idea where I would get a XR6T snorkel and umm What is it? Im only 18 and dont really know to much about cars but i really want to know so i will probably be asking stupid questions for years to come
haha no worries :P i got my xr6t snorkel from ebay for about $40 i think. but you can also get them from ford dealers. and the K&N panel filter can be had from supercheap/repco or ebay. about $90-$110
BF F6 TYPHOON in NEO #718 ~ 356rwkw :
BF XR6 TURBO in SILHOUETTE
2002au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
XRSXC

Okthats cool. What should i do first because i was hoping to do some work on it this weekend
Old 16-05-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Okthats cool. What should i do first because i was hoping to do some work on it this weekend
Get the snorkel & the filter at the same time. The difference will impress you.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
XRSXC

No worries will have to try and track down the snorkel i am having a bit of trouble.
Old 16-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
XRSXC

Are the redback extractors any good.
Old 16-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they are good. My high flow cats consist of punching out the guts. Bot very legal but I've never heard of anyone checking the inside of a cat.
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #11
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Aski as many as you like,the AU guys here know their stuff and have been their,spent that.

Nice ride,love the AU XR6's.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
XRSXC

Haha yeh I will do. Im pretty excited to get my car looking and going great. Au's have been my dream car since Lowndes drove the green eyed monster.

Thanks I will be putting pictures up as soon as I get my camera back from being fixed. And get some minor panel damage fixed.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
Day-mow
rexnet

-Cresent Motor Sport cam. pretty simple mod.
-sway Bars are good for turning.
-QFM pads are great for stopping.
-100 Cell Cats for emmissions while its not easily policed if you get caught with out a cat its $10,000+ fine.
-2.5' Cat back
-Pacemaker 4480 headers for extractors
-Blue Power Air in take apparently is the best on the market for AU. SS Induction not so great.
-3.9 Diff gears
-SCT X3 Flash Tuner with a custom Tune for your car
-Run 98 octane Fuel in your car
-make sure all the plugs/leads are in good working order
-replace all fluids, filters

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

You should stick up sum pics of the car.. What colour is it, what options...manual or auto, leather seats, premmy sound etc???

Iv a S3 XR8.. Their an awesome car, way better than the B series ones.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #15
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6T snorkle, high flow filter etc, but the most restrictive part of the intake is where the intake pipe goes into the airbox. If you look at it from inside the airbox its quite a bit smaller then the pipe it self. you can get around this by un bolting the fitting and getting an exhaust place to make up a 3" intake pipe that goes straight into the air box.

Ive also got a series 3 XR6 and ive done plenty of small little mods to it, you can look through my build thread if you like to see them:

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11300612

probably also check out 2002au's thread: (hope he doesnt mind me posting the link)

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11316359
Old 17-05-2011, 01:36 AM   #16
Antwon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you need any further help you can shoot me a PM, or any of the other guys here (sure they would all be happy to help you out)
Old 17-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #17
The Monty
Just slidin'

3 inch Mandrel Bent inteks
Use the standard airbox, front cut out of it, KnN Pod on the end of the 3 inch intake INSIDE the box.
Xr6t snorkle.
Ported throttlebody
Cam (surecam and CMS have both had the best results) make sure its billet
Ported head
Ported BBM
4480 extractors from Pacemaker
Ballistic Cat 100cpsi (euro 3 legal)
Cat back, either 2.5 or 3 inch, if your doing mods like big cam and things, use a 3 inch, it wont hurt.
Nice big stall converter. Despite what people say, a well made (Red Diamond, Dominator etc) stall converter (3-4000rpm) can be very streetable, and very worthwhile.
Transmission Cooler
Diff gears, be it 3.73, 3.89, or 4.11. The higher the number, the better take off, but lower top end (you will never hit the limiter in 4th in any of them though). They will make your car rev a little higher 100km/h. Mine sat on 2200ish with 3.9's.
Make sure everything is service, gearbox, diff, and always the engine.
Lastly an Xcal3 to get it custom tuned.

If I was you, my first mod would be to get everything serviced, and the gearbox flushed.
If you have done that, then cut the front out of the airbox below the filter line. Put on an XR6t intake snorkle (just ask at Ford, should be around $30-40), and a KandN Panel Filter. The difference is pretty decent for the price. Total - $140ish, and 5-7kw.

I would then buy the ballistic cat off thundertime on these forums.
Take it with to the exhaust shop and get it, the 4480's, and a good cat back on, red back seems pretty popular. Ask them also to do your 3 inch intake at the same time. Total here would be around $1000 for around 15-20kw

My next step would be diff gears. 3.9's are great on the street. Get them off Ebay for around $200 off of an old skyline or whatever. Then get them put in, should cost no more then $450 to put them in including new bearings and a service. Total - $650, no extra power, but the car will feel like you have added 30kw.

This is where you decide wehter you want a fun street car, or something thats a little more full on, think fuel economy, fun factor, family, police attention.

Cam and head, and a custom tune is around $2-3000 minimum and might only net you 15-20 kw. It might make more, might make less. Factor in $550 for a billet cam, $1000-1500 for some decent head work, $500 for valve springs and valve spring retainers, $1000-1500 for an Xcal 3 to tune it. And you may end up with something that has absoloutely no bottom end. Which is where you will need a stall converter.

I would finish by adding a 69mm t/body here, and doing work on your BBM. Get a tune afterwards. I gues syou could do things like the MACE enginering manifold insulators, apparently they work, so why not. About $190-$250 for each the upper and lower insulator.

Stall converters can be had from $300 up to $1000. The better the stall, the moire expensive, and there is a big difference. Then about $600 to fit it, with a flush and a service. You would need to tell your tuner that you are planning on running a big stall converter, so that he can move LHM to above what your stall will flash too. You will need a trans cooler here too, about $150 and you can do it yourself. If you put your car back on the dyno after this, you will find youve lost power, up to 10-15kw, but you wont notice, as your converter will compensate it.

After that, youll end up with a massive money pit, and could have turboed it. But N/A has a special allure about it. Thats why people like myself, and Stav, and stiddy had to keep pushing when it probably wasnt worth it.

Heres a quick clip of my old AU, had most of the mods above. Just remember the speedo is out, so 100 is at 130, and 220 is about 168.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqXYN...x=1&playnext=1
Old 17-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
Day-mow
rexnet

That should be stickyed

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 17-05-2011, 03:25 PM   #19
robbyj
Rob

Start with the basics,

A high flow panel filter and and XR6T snorkel ($35 from ford)

A good full exhaust system. Extractors, high flow cat and the cat back. Try and get mandrel bent, its just better.

I would then next change the spark plugs and get some new ignition leads, there have been a few good brand names thrown around, i went with bosch performance leads, they are great.

While your at it, give the throttle body a clean out, with an old clean rag. You just need to unbolt the air box stuff, fairly simple.

These are the most notable/cost effective mods you can do, the car will feel a lot faster from stock, with more throttle response.

Then its up to you whether you want to spend more money, as the next stages get expensive.

You can also chuck some slotted rotors, new pads on. And id lower the car, can give these falcons a great stance when lowered.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #20
XRSXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuleh
Start with the basics,

A high flow panel filter and and XR6T snorkel ($35 from ford)

A good full exhaust system. Extractors, high flow cat and the cat back. Try and get mandrel bent, its just better.

I would then next change the spark plugs and get some new ignition leads, there have been a few good brand names thrown around, i went with bosch performance leads, they are great.

While your at it, give the throttle body a clean out, with an old clean rag. You just need to unbolt the air box stuff, fairly simple.

These are the most notable/cost effective mods you can do, the car will feel a lot faster from stock, with more throttle response.

Then its up to you whether you want to spend more money, as the next stages get expensive.

You can also chuck some slotted rotors, new pads on. And id lower the car, can give these falcons a great stance when lowered.
I did the high flow panel and xr6t snorkle today. am going to be doing the throttle body plugs and leads this weekend. then i will be saving up to do the brakes and full exhaust system including cat and extractors at once. I want to get some 18 inch ba gtp rims and then lower it and get it sprayed in the orange from the fg.
Old 17-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #21
XRSXC

Thanks for all the help guys. It is much appreciated. I have put a list together of the stuff I want to do soon and the stuff I want to do within the next year or so. I will be posting pictures as soon as I get my camera back from the shop. I have started already. I have done the XR6T snorkle and K and N high flow panel. This weekend I am going to do some premium spark plugs and ignitoion leads. I will also clean the throttle body.

What pressure do you guys run your tyres at?
Old 17-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #22
Day-mow
rexnet

Use NGK plugs. Better then Bosch. Possible also case with leads. I run 38psi all round.

Old 17-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #23
XRSXC

Ok I will put mine up tomorrow i think they are at 33 psi. Just get normal ngk plugs or do they have premium ones?
Old 17-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #24
robbyj
Rob

Start a build thread if you haven't already mate. Its fun to read other peoples mods.

Paint job sounds nice, just remember they can be rather expensive for a good, proper job. A cheap dodgy one will come back to haunt you.

I run my 20" low profiles on 32psi.

NGK plugs are good, i can't remember the part number, (might be in my build thread somewhere) but supercheap will have them.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #25
Day-mow
rexnet

NGK make iridiums. $20-25 a plug.

Old 17-05-2011, 10:39 PM   #26
The Monty
Just slidin'

And Queensland Ignition Leads leads. $80 a set for 9mm in any colour, mad eon the spot, a lot of top drag racers run them.
Old 17-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #27
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
NGK make iridiums. $20-25 a plug.
screw that.

denso ones used to be around $6 or $7 each from memory from holden i think (although coventrys probably sell them too)

these are the details from the denso site
Make FORD
Model Falcon AUIII
Engine 4.0LĀ Tickford HP VCT, XR6
Year 2001 to 2002
Sparkplug VW16RA13
Iridium Power IW16
Iridium Tough VW16

Gap 1.3

i think even toyota will probably stock them, they are probably shared with other makes, but give them a go for price too. you want either of the ones in bold, i don't know what the difference is though...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 11:39 PM   #28
Day-mow
rexnet

i've herd good news of denzo. but what type of plug is that for $6 or$7? is it an iridum or a regular plug. also gap @ 1.1 mm

Old 18-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #29
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from memory there was a big thread in this section about iridium plugs, but i can't remember who recommended the densos. i will see if i can find the original thread...

here it is, as i said, a long time ago so i'm not sure how much they will have gone up by now...

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ighlight=denso

Last edited by bodes-sh; 18-05-2011 at 12:10 AM.
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #30
XRSXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
You should stick up sum pics of the car.. What colour is it, what options...manual or auto, leather seats, premmy sound etc???

Iv a S3 XR8.. Their an awesome car, way better than the B series ones.
Yeh mate they are great cars. I will put pictures up when I get my camera back from being fixed.

It is liquid silver, Unfortunately it is an auto. Other then that it is pretty basic. It has got 17 inch rims I think they are the Tickford AU2 XR8 rims.