Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-07-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default whats ABS?

dad just told me my fiesta lx doesnt have abs .. i was just wondering, whats ABS? is it really that important on the fiesta? if so, how do i get a replacement or something that'll help the car in the same or in a similiar way as the ABS?

also do all you guys, when you drive over a small bump in the road get that sound that sounds like your boot is not shut properly?

xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In simple terms ABS is an anti lock brake system that uses wheel sensors to detect imminent lock up of a wheel (which reduces braking effort) and reduces hydraulic effort to that wheel to stop the lock-up. The simplest systems are 2 channel - either front or back while the more complex ones are 4 channel and deal with each wheel individually.

The benefit of ABS is that the driver retains steering control in a panic braking situation which is not possible when the wheels are locked.

It can't be readily retrofitted and nor is there an aftermarket alternative apart from attending a good driving course and being taught cadence braking techniques.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ooo darn o_O"
where can i attend these driving courses in melb? parents are kinda scared cause i drive nearli everyday in the bushy areas ><"
Old 20-07-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=3284

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 10:31 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well, if your LX is auto then it has ABS.... If its manual, you dont!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! *nods*
i told mum abt it but she keeps on saying, ring the dealers XD
Old 22-07-2005, 02:11 AM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

So, which do you have? Auto or Manual?

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 02:37 AM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Have a look at this thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=3284

Cheers
Russ
I will be attending that Drive to Survive course, I highly recommend it and you know there'll be at least one other Euro Ford there! :

As for ringing the Dealer... what for exactly? There's nothing they can do if it's a manual LX, ABS can't be fitted, never was. Autos include the ABS however as previously stated.
Old 22-07-2005, 03:55 AM   #9
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ya i have the auto ^^ i told the parents it has abs but they dont believe me ..
with the drive to survive, your using your own tires yeah?
Old 22-07-2005, 05:37 AM   #10
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

couldnt you just check em ya self??

drive on a big open road without any traffic at about 40kph.. slam on ya brakes and if they lock up and it skids, you dont have ABS, if they dont lock up and it slows down for ya without skidding.. you have ABS..

easy :P
Old 22-07-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol its a new car and im kinda hesitant on doing those things :p
Old 22-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #12
parawolf
beep beep

The drive to survive courses are excellent - and you should convince your parents to pay for it to give you extra skills on the road to be aware of how to handle your car in an emergency situation. These are _NOT_ hoon courses. They are fun, but you learn massive amounts about your car and how it handles at different speeds.

Yes you do all the driving work in your car as you drive it on the road. The put down a small amount of water on the track which reduces road temperature and reduces friction slightly to reduce the already low likelihood of flat-spotting a tyre. Besides the tyres you have on the Fiesta are fair hard compound - you won't flat spot them
Old 22-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #13
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill talk to my parents about it =) is there any other european fords going? apart from zetec?
Old 22-07-2005, 06:24 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

There will be very little wear on your car, it's all low to mild speed, nothing high speed, after all it's an introductory course to Advanced driving. Have done something similar but not official, hence why I am doing this course officially. AND the benefit is it's fun to learn!

I can guarantee your car 100% has ABS if it is an LX Auto, there is NO OTHER POSSIBLE WAY to have an auto Fiesta. I know this not only because I work for Ford but also because I was a salesman for 6 months selling Fiestas and I can assure both yourself and them that it has ABS if it is an Auto LX. That is why the Auto tranmission is a $3,000 option because it also compulsorily includes ABS anti-lock brakes so you can be safe knowing they're there to back you up in an emergency situation.

I cannot recommend more highly actually doing a driver training course. Learning to drive, EVEN with a driving instructor, is all about learning how NOT to break the roads rules and not actually how to drive a car. Most people go on to learn HOW to drive a car through years of experience, both good and bad experience. It's those sticky situations that are unexpected that you are unprepared for in the early years of driving where an Advanced Driver Training Course is worth as much as you can afford to pay if it ends up saving your life and those of anyone else who could be involved. $220 is a very small price to pay for that training, it doesn't promise to make you a super driver, but it will make you highly aware of the fact that you aren't a super driver and will hopefully help you leave with a much more aware sense of what driving is all about. That goes for everyone. NOBODY is a brilliant driver from day 1, we all need to learn the same skills.

I drive over 25,000km per year, higher than average, and I have a lot to learn about my boundaries yet I do not feel safe pushing them on a public road, nor is it legal to do so. There is nothing safer than in the safe hands of professional driving instructors on a controlled circuit.

I will be going to this, as will my housemate, we're both 23. I believe Austin may also come with his Girlfriend (back2thefutura) however not sure if he has decided yet. I am MORE than happy to help out with any questions and be a buddy on the day for you!

Cheers,
Matt
Old 22-07-2005, 06:29 PM   #15
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Out of further interest, L-plate drivers are also warmly welcomed to this course, proving it's educative purpose.
Old 22-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #16
GROOV3
Rollin

its stupid you cant get the abs option on the manual lx as the manual zetec has abs

another ford bad decision

sorry just got no respect for ford dealers anymore.
going to cost me money for a loan car while i get them to look at my car to fix a problem thats underwarrenty. (yes i know they dont make the desision abot what comes on a car just another chance to )
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post