Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-07-2005, 02:15 PM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Dodgy ford ECU...

Well, after reading about people getting their ECU reflashed etc... i was just wondering that if i was to get my Powerchip, would this eliminate the ECU problems? (ie, would the chip replace the ECU?)

Cheers

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

As far as I am aware chips piggyback the ECU. So the ECU still controls a fair bit, but the Chip just changes a few settings that the ECU sends to the car etc. It may help fix problems but Id sort them out before getting the chip, otherwise it might either make them worse (unlikely but still possible), or be a waste of money.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #3
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well, as yet i havent had any ECU problems and ive just done 11500km... whereas other ppl have had problems. Which is why im asking... cause if i was to get the chip, i dont want ECU problems

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 11-07-2005, 02:49 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Wait till your next service and get any flashes/updates that are available. If you add a chip they wont touch the ECU at all and you'll miss out on them.

Thats actually why I was looking at DiabloSport Deltachip, because you cant tell its there and you can turn it off so the service guys would never know.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Wait till your next service and get any flashes/updates that are available. If you add a chip they wont touch the ECU at all and you'll miss out on them.

Thats actually why I was looking at DiabloSport Deltachip, because you cant tell its there and you can turn it off so the service guys would never know.
Well, according to the powerchip guy i was speaking to, he said that the powerchip could be reverted back to factory settings and ford would never know... or was he wrong? :

Old 11-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Well, according to the powerchip guy i was speaking to, he said that the powerchip could be reverted back to factory settings and ford would never know... or was he wrong? :
No, he's right, but what he means is that the CHIP can be reverted back, not the ECU. So even if the chip is running the stock program, theyre still going to know its there.Thats the way I understand it anwyay, and having been present at a service before, believe me it is very easy to tell if an ECU has been chipped. Unless yuo go for a stealth or something, but as far as i know, nothing like that is available for a Fiesta (or a Focus) yet.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
No, he's right, but what he means is that the CHIP can be reverted back, not the ECU. So even if the chip is running the stock program, theyre still going to know its there.Thats the way I understand it anwyay, and having been present at a service before, believe me it is very easy to tell if an ECU has been chipped. Unless yuo go for a stealth or something, but as far as i know, nothing like that is available for a Fiesta (or a Focus) yet.
Yes... i think that Powerchip would be doing my Fiesta as a first if i did get it done... so i still dunno what to do. But from what i see the results from other cars, i should be able to get about 85kw and 165nm from the fez... pretty good IMO.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ask them to do it cheaper because it's a first off. If they want the business they should be able to do it cheaper to get the experience.

Yes Im a cheaparse I know.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Ask them to do it cheaper because it's a first off. If they want the business they should be able to do it cheaper to get the experience.

Yes Im a cheaparse I know.
Yep... that and also i got my Cuz to get one as well (Mini Cabrio S with JCW)... so i hope we can both get a discount.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #10
RedStar71

Do Powerchip actually have a chip for it? I ask as they don't list one at all? 85kw would be pretty good for a Fiesta! I'd get one.
Mods: "Zetec S" badges, Zetec driving lights, stereo remote Ghia Gear stick surround and metal door handels. Factory EGA Sports Body Kit and Sports Leather Gear Knob. ST Rear Wing, Clear Indicators, Racing Pedals, Door Pulls, Door Sill Strips and Piano Black ICE Bezel.

2007 WQ Colorado Red Fiesta XR4
Mods: Smooth Rear Wiper
RedStar71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #11
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStar71
Do Powerchip actually have a chip for it? I ask as they don't list one at all? 85kw would be pretty good for a Fiesta! I'd get one.
Yea... aparently they would be able to make one from the Gold 98 chip... but it would be a trial i think for the fiesta. Apparently as yet they havent been able to get their hands on one...

Old 14-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
RedStar71

Keep us posted if you do get the chip.
I am thinking of getting one as well and also fitting a K&N panel filter in the standard airbox. Hopefuly that may increase the power a bit more, will have to see.
Cheers

Jason
Mods: "Zetec S" badges, Zetec driving lights, stereo remote Ghia Gear stick surround and metal door handels. Factory EGA Sports Body Kit and Sports Leather Gear Knob. ST Rear Wing, Clear Indicators, Racing Pedals, Door Pulls, Door Sill Strips and Piano Black ICE Bezel.

2007 WQ Colorado Red Fiesta XR4
Mods: Smooth Rear Wiper
RedStar71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #13
GROOV3
Rollin

well my car ed up yesterday, eac error lost all power engine was reving erraticly between idle and 14000rpm had to pull over then turn it off then on and was fine

eeeeaaaakkkkk
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post