Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #1
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bingle Car Insurance

Anyone have any experience with this insurer?

My current Insurer has had a brain fade and charging me $1,600 to insure a $15K car.

So got two quotes at under $800 bucks, with Bingle cheapest at under $700.

Also p!sssed that I rang current insurer and they can do 1,100....that's nice, why send me a renewal for 1,600 bucks then.

Any experiences?

Recommendations? Who are you insured with. My quotes are from NRMA and Bingle, current is Budget Direct....I'll get some more quotes tonight after the kids are asleep. I need to renew on Friday.

Edit: I must have been in a generous and festive mood last year as I renewed my insurance and paid the $1,600 bucks...brain explosion on my part there.

Last edited by Stefan; 06-01-2015 at 05:33 PM. Reason: additional info
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 05:48 PM   #2
cram_it_frog
wombat

Default Re: Bingle Car Insurance

what sort of car do you drive
what is your age
what sort of demerits

Things have changed a lot since I was 17 then you were treated the same as a 60 year old but today it is totally different

The problem with cheap quotes is exorbitant excess charged if you are under 25 it may work out cheap to go on you parents insurance

Some time you have to think outside the box

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'm a fair bit yougner so I could never use budget even though damn they cheap! Have to be 30+ in saying that tried bingle they were cheap but won't allow modified cars :( cheapest for me was justcar at I think $1600.....I'm 26 with no claims ever....Go figure.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
05_ENFORCER

Bingle and Just Cars are owned by AAMI, who is underwritten by Suncorp.

The true value of insurance is when you try to claim

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/bingle/1.html

I have 4 vehicles insured with AAMI, I pay a premium because I want a quick reliable no hassle service with a choice of repairers.

EDIT: I just did a comparison between AAMI and Bingle and AAMI came out cheaper again.

I wonder if Bingle are cheaper in certain states???

Last edited by 05_ENFORCER; 06-01-2015 at 06:21 PM.
05_ENFORCER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #5
cram_it_frog
wombat

yes i turn 60 in March and i gave up paying full insurance because of the cost

I have 3rd party accident it covers the other driver and my car is worth $7k I also live in a remote town and my last car accident was in my 20s

So I am happy as if some one hits me my car set at a market price of $7500

so if some one hits me that is what I get with out that they decide market value which is not a lot

Last year I traveled 3000k s

on my last quote I asked about some of the road or tracks I drive on and I got so much bull **** about gazetted roads and such they have little understanding of what the outback is like my mates driveway is over 60 ks long and when it is wet it is one long bog

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Standard 2007 Audi A3 turbo, I'm over 40. $650 excess, which I think is the current standard. 4 demerits currently.

I know 1,600 is stupid expensive when NRMA comes in at $790 for the same cover same excess.

I still can't believe I paid it last year, but I do remember I was in QLD last year on holiday and this policy is linked to my credit card on auto renewal (I actually need to ring to not renew it).....
Old 06-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #7
AUwindsor

No idea, although Lara Bingle and car insurance came to mind
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #8
Morexbs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have insured several cars with them over the years because they have been the cheapest by miles.I have never claimed so can't comment on that aspect.
One thing you may not like is that they don't have a call centre (supposedly to keep costs down) so if you need to contact them you have to play email ping pong,which can get frustrating.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:10 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Yes, use the product review site and you will see a good spread of comments.

Funny that when you do search for reviews another site comes up and the reviews are all glowing, even the ones that are very poor on the product review site.

Read the fine print / PDS but beware of going with the cheapest option. The reviews of Coles / Woolies and Budget Direct are abysmal, most complaints seem to be about the claims process- which is when you need them the most.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I'm looking at moving from coles insurance, been with them for three years. Was just reading reviews and compared to 3 years ago the reviews now are woefull. Any suggestions for the FG XR6T? 28 with no fines ever, clean record. Tuned, air box and high flow cat.

EDIT, i read on that review site, there is not a single insurance company that has good reviews besides the ones you pay tripple the quotes for.

AAMI, NRMA, Coles, Woolworths, Allianz, bingle, they all have crap reviews

Last edited by fordomatic; 06-01-2015 at 08:08 PM.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was dubious when I first too out my budget direct policy but had one claim 4 years ago with no issue at all, took it to my repairer which was no issue for them even though he was not one of their approved repairers.

I'm sure people claim for stupid stuff or don't get their way and then write a stupid review.

As a family over the past 25 years have had claims with NRMA, AAMI, LSV and Budget and have never had a problem, all were quick and accommodating.

Last edited by Stefan; 06-01-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #12
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Know what you are buying, that is the golden rule.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 09:25 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have got quote with so many companies over the years with different cars and NRMA has always been the best for me.

Day I picked up the Ranger, bought NRMA Comprehensive Plus insurance. Windscreen coverage, hirecar, everything for $1,400 with the standard $600 excess. I was 23 at the time and was surprised with how cheap it was considering my age and it's the most expensive car I have ever owned by far.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I was dubious when I first too out my budget direct policy but had one claim 4 years ago with no issue at all, took it to my repairer which was no issue for them even though he was not one of their approved repairers.

I'm sure people claim for stupid stuff or don't get their way and then write a stupid review.

As a family over the past 25 years have had claims with NRMA, AAMI, LSV and Budget and have never had a problem, all were quick and accommodating.
Which is why I'm with Budget Direct as well. I had a claim with them several years ago and they did everything right by me. They also replaced a dodgy part that was part of the initial repair over a year after the original claim at a time when I had my car un-insured from them. (I had a major accident 1 week before I took 10 months off to travel).

I have 4 policies with them, and when I had a question about the online quote system they answered the call promptly and the person I was speaking to was certainly an Aussie.

The only thing that they need to fix is their automated 'live chat' function on their site - it isn't 'live', rather a program that reads peoples questions and tries to match the key words / phrases with what is on their FAQ database...

Old 06-01-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez you guys pay a lot.

new for old (for 2 years instead of 1), all mods declared (although no performance, just LPG and exhaust) and I drive 30,000km a year.

$500 odd with AAMI

Stick with one company, call them every year and sprout how you never claim and ask for a discount. I screw them every year.

Just went from 7% discount with power and gas to a 15% discount because I proved that I pay early each bill.

AGL

If you're a good client - tell them! :-)
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Geez you guys pay a lot.

new for old (for 2 years instead of 1), all mods declared (although no performance, just LPG and exhaust) and I drive 30,000km a year.

$500 odd with AAMI

Stick with one company, call them every year and sprout how you never claim and ask for a discount. I screw them every year.

Just went from 7% discount with power and gas to a 15% discount because I proved that I pay early each bill.

AGL

If you're a good client - tell them! :-)
Very good advice, I do the same The best they can say is yes and the worst they can say is no.

I also know people who have been with the same service provider company for several years and NEVER question the renewal or what they are being charged. Nor check if there is now a better product that suits their current situation..

Oh well... it's their money after all!

Old 06-01-2015, 10:10 PM   #17
Binny

I have used bingle for the last 4 years or so.
Yes they are owned by Suncorp. They are an online only so you have to be willing to use the website to make any changes or add or remove cars. FWIW the website is super easy to use and when I have removed a car from the policy any remaining premium is refunded to my card instantly.
I had never made a claim in over 20 years until a big hail storm beat the crap out of our CRV 2 years ago. I made the claim online and got a call in about 24 hours to book me into an assessment.
I went through exactly the same assessment and repair process at the same place as the AAMI and Suncorp customers.
The whole process was smooth and hassle free, hence why I am still with them.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:44 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Don't go with Youi

Just for chuckles last night I tried their 'online quote'. It should have read 'online personal information gathering session'

After filling out the various forms I got to the end and it says 'quick call us for more details on your quote'

So I tried the same thing with home & contents ins..... same result, quick call us etc etc.

As I'd entered my phone number I emailed them saying DO NOT to call me.
9.00 this morning I got the first of 3 phone calls !

The clown on the other end of the phone told me that the 'online quote' is only part of the quote. I said no, it's the end of the quote, and hung up.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Don't go with Youi

Just for chuckles last night I tried their 'online quote'. It should have read 'online personal information gathering session'

After filling out the various forms I got to the end and it says 'quick call us for more details on your quote'

So I tried the same thing with home & contents ins..... same result, quick call us etc etc.

The clown on the other end of the phone told me that the 'online quote' is only part of the quote. I said no, it's the end of the quote, and hung up.
Yep... never again! After answering all their questions online you then get a call to 'finish' the quote. All the important info was already provided but the guy didn't want to tell me the price till he knew what colour nickers the wife drives in..

Their run sheet is very scripted, throwing in little tid bit comments and questions to try and connect with you at a personal level. Asking all sorts of stuff that is not relevant to the quote and hearing all the extra BS they casually throw into the conversation that you care nothing about and will forget as soon as you hang the phone up.

Then, they were $500 MORE than what my renewal said for my current company. That wasn't the end. He then insisted that they can re-jig the answers to bring down the quote more... Some of the stuff included:
* Saying that the car traveled much less km
* Saying that the work parking was secured (some was - but not always)
* Dropping the days driving to work from 5 to 3 days (I do have several cars so this could be plausible come claims time).
* Agreeing to pay a higher excess...

All this saved a pittance. The guy seemed offended when I told him that I didn't want to go ahead with the quote.

I felt dirty - like I had ended a long term friendship when hanging up...

I think they use the ploy "If we annoy the tripe out of them enough they will take out a policy just to get us of the phone."

And those adds.... God I hate them.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:31 AM   #20
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i renewed mine, I went through about 25 or so different quotes. (basically every available provider)

Living in Sydney, basically bend over and take it up the rear.

Ended up going with LSV (Lumley Special Vehicles) as allowed to do unlimited legal mods

Was with Coles prior, good price and good agreed value and happy to go back to them, but they only allowed a couple mods, thats it.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #21
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Don't go with Youi

See bolded and have it tattooed on your forearm.

If I'm doing an online quote my phone number should not be a required field for you to spam call three times in the next 24 hours after doing the quote. Plus as mentioned they are consistently dearer than everyone else including Scumcorp (who happen to be the most expensive insurer for myself).
Old 07-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #22
Fordblue1000

Hard to see some of these quotes guys. What have i done wrong?
I have my xb coupe. Fully insured for 40,000. Legal mods, mags, stereo etc. 350 a year.
My p6 ltd. Valued at 12,000. Fully insured. No mods other than lpg. 290.
My 1922 model t. Valued at 15,000. No mods. (Unmodified Original). 170.
My 97 fulcon. No mods other than lpg. Market value 2,000 i think. 310.
My 99 daewoo lanos. (Dont laugh but i bought it new and ford had the Ka as the only small car!!!). Market value of 2,000. No mods. 250.

Total of 1470 odd. All at 500 excess. I am 43, no fines since last millenium, and only one claim for a roo on the p6 ltd 4 years ago.

But in sa. Maybe that makes a difference i dont know, but your quotes are all pretty high for me. Keeping in mind the coupe, p6 and the model t are all low milage vehicles.

All with shannons.

Btw. I have also got four house building insurance policies with them, and their prices are too cheap to shop around.

Been with shannons for 17 years now.

Maybe another option for you?
1963 morris.
1920 model T
Fordblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 12:52 AM   #23
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordblue1000 View Post
I have my xb coupe. Fully insured for 40,000. Legal mods, mags, stereo etc. 350 a year.
My 99 daewoo lanos. (Dont laugh but i bought it new and ford had the Ka as the only small car!!!). Market value of 2,000. No mods. 250.

Total of 1470 odd. All at 500 excess. I am 43, no fines since last millenium, and only one claim for a roo on the p6 ltd 4 years ago.

But in sa. Maybe that makes a difference i dont know, but your quotes are all pretty high for me. Keeping in mind the coupe, p6 and the model t are all low milage vehicles.

All with shannons.

Btw. I have also got four house building insurance policies with them, and their prices are too cheap to shop around.

SA policy's are the cheapest in Australia. NSW is one of the most expensive insurance premiums.

When I did insurance sales average cost in NSW was about $1000 a car average cost SA was around $200. This was 9 years ago.

My own policy, lived in one suburb, moved 5
Minutes down the road to the next suburb premium dropped $50.00 a month. Insurance cost is all based on where you live. And at
My old house, the car was garaged at This place the car lives on the street but the insurance is cheaper.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 12:53 AM   #24
Spurious

I have learnt that where you live can have a drastic effect on how much you pay.

My previous ride, the '85 XF s-pack, in bunbury WA in a near ghetto suburb loaded with meth addicts & weed hippies was about $340 p/y, about $350 excess & insured for $5000 with Shannons. Back in 2008/9

Then I moved to Ulverstone in 2010, a dot on the map town in Tassie & the premium actually went up!!!

I promptly switched to RACT, mainly because Shannons nearest rep/assessor was in Melbourne. A potential nightmare should I had actually made a claim.

PLUS....shannons refused to allow me to change the dates of any particular months premium payment. Apparently it is far too difficult & it takes up too much of their staffers time to make a simply date change to a payment.
I guess "customer service" isn't in Shannons job description!!!

RACT on the other hand let me change a payment date any fricken time I want, as many times as I need to! So THERE Mr snooty shannons!!!
The reality is that the monthly payment doesn't always fall on or near one of my pay days.

Now with RACT, $500'ish per year for the AU2 ($42 per month), $400 excess, insured for $4700....at least until this years renewal comes in.
I'll let them go to $4500 then after that I want agreed value of $5000 FOREVER due to the mods!

Personally I would never go with a mob like youi, talk about brainwashing us with advertising, sheeez!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 01:04 AM   #25
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Anyone have any experience with this insurer?

My current Insurer has had a brain fade and charging me $1,600 to insure a $15K car.

So got two quotes at under $800 bucks, with Bingle cheapest at under $700.

Also p!sssed that I rang current insurer and they can do 1,100....that's nice, why send me a renewal for 1,600 bucks then.

Any experiences?

Recommendations? Who are you insured with. My quotes are from NRMA and Bingle, current is Budget Direct....I'll get some more quotes tonight after the kids are asleep. I need to renew on Friday.

Edit: I must have been in a generous and festive mood last year as I renewed my insurance and paid the $1,600 bucks...brain explosion on my part there.
Never buy insurance based on the price, this is where most people stuff up. Make sure you read the PDS and know exactly what you are covered for and if it is an agreed value policy or market value policy.

A lot of the cheaper insurance companies will leave items out that you will not notice until Claim time. Example Youi will make you get a print out of your driving record at claim time, even if your car was parked. (they did this to my brother when he lodged a claim, his car was parked out the front of his house and a metal bin hit his car in strong winds).

Once you have read the policy and made your decision take the policy out. Saving a few hundred a year is great , but if you take out a cheaper policy that does not cover you correctly, you may be out thousands at claim time because you want to save a few hundred dollars.

Also if you do insure with a smaller company that is owned by a bigger company, you may not get the same level of service as the big company.

End of the day most insurance companies want to pay out claims, if they did not want to pay out claims no one would insure with them.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #26
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

All with shannons.

Different type of insurance for classics mate you don't drive your model t ford to work everyday.

I have an xa gt coupe, xy gt and bf gt insured to a value of 300k with LSV for 1,200 bucks P/A. The don't insure dailys though only classics and specials
Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Read this repairer's Facebook comments:

https://www.facebook.com/flawlessglo...type=1&fref=nf

It talks about RACV/AAMI/Bingle etc

Also here is a video about NRMA from the same repairer giving them issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySM...ature=youtu.be

Just be careful about which insurance company you pick boys because the cheapest might not be the best.

Maybe even talk to a few local panel shops and see what they have to say about some insurers?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 11:05 AM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
If you put your address as Roxby Downs that might make a difference, not a lot of traffic or theft around there I'd imagine
Old 08-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #29
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

im with RAA
was aami
never again
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM   #30
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

of all things, Australia Post were by far the best this year for the VE SS. underwritten by A&G. Quick quote gets me $650 fully comp for your car
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post