Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
harlz1

Question Harley Davidson F series/FPV/XR in Aus ??

I am passionate about the Harley Davidson F-Series that Ford offer their American customers and would love to see similar offerings here in Australia without having to import and convert them. I have voiced my opinion on the Ford Australia website and was wondering if anyone else has a similar opinion to myself and if so encourage you to contact Ford as well. Harley Davidson sell more motorcycles here except for posty bikes than any other brand and I reckon Ford just might find that they might be able to sell a hell of a lot of vehicles that specifically cater for those bikers interests. It just doesnt have to be a F-Series but could include FPV vehicles or XR8 utes. The US have sustained the Harley relationship for many years now and must be making money out of it. I'm sure the same would work here.
Come on all you Harley fans lets stir Ford up and get them to cater for the masses, not just waste money on small batch editions like the Ambrose and Ingall XR's. Any thoughts out there??

harlz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Um your not going to like my opinion then. Im really not a fan of Harley's, quite the opposite.

It works in America because they are both very iconic American Brands, not so many people give a hoot here. Except for the Harley fans I guess, and I would have thought they would ride there bikes more than driving their cars.

Who knows, either way it wont sell here, the numbers just are not there.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Harley Davidson are nothing but tractors on 2 wheels! and too loud.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFIA
Harley Davidson are nothing but tractors on 2 wheels! and too loud.
:

They are on par with those bogan utes with no exhausts. Alot of bloody noise and they go no where!

A better partnership would be say with Yamaha Motorcycles, or perhaps a Jet Ski company.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Or perhaps they keep making their own vehicles... hmm
Old 08-01-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
RATT

Jeez that's harsh. I like the idea, it's something different that could just be the thing Ford needs to help turn things around.

I have just pictured it... A Black XR8 ute with unique partially chromed 19inch alloys, 3 piece hard cover with sports bar, chrome interior highlights, sports steering wheel..
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
Jeez that's harsh. I like the idea, it's something different that could just be the thing Ford needs to help turn things around.

I have just pictured it... A Black XR8 ute with unique partially chromed 19inch alloys, 3 piece hard cover with sports bar, chrome interior highlights, sports steering wheel..
Well sometimes the truth hurts I guess.

I didn't realise Ford was having issues selling utes at the moment.

Surely there is an Australian company that Ford could affiliate itself with.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlz1
, not just waste money on small batch editions like the Ambrose and Ingall XR's. Any thoughts out there??
Some of us own those small batch editions, but in that, support other views and having not seen the concept your talking about, it may have merrit, My bro is a big Harley fan and rides and has done for years custom harleys, ( Bad boy style ) and rain hail or shine you will find him on his bike rather than a car, do you have any pics of the cars your talking about ?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlz1
Come on all you Harley fans lets stir Ford up and get them to cater for the masses, not just waste money on small batch editions like the Ambrose and Ingall XR's. Any thoughts out there??
Ambrose and ingall had/have more significance to the XR8 ie V8 supercars, what significance does harley have to Falcons. (btw i grew up around harleys my dad still owns one)
Old 08-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I certainly think the idea has some merit Harlz1 - and infact ive seen an imported and coverted F series Harley edition and they are damn hot!!!

I dont think you necessarily need to like Harleys to buy the vehicle - just like the upgrades and package inclusions and foot the bill is all you need to do!

Polyal some interesting comments you've made. Fair enough you dont like Harley's thats fine.

Have you ridden a Harley?
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
I certainly think the idea has some merit Harlz1 - and infact ive seen an imported and coverted F series Harley edition and they are damn hot!!!

I dont think you necessarily need to like Harleys to buy the vehicle - just like the upgrades and package inclusions and foot the bill is all you need to do!

Polyal some interesting comments you've made. Fair enough you dont like Harley's thats fine.

Have you ridden a Harley?
No I haven't, which you might think makes my comments invalid, which is fair enough I guess.

My main gripe is the damn noise, its not even nice, just farty and way to loud, I dont know how they get past ADR's, im sure some car manufacturers would like to know.

They look pretty and all, but thats all they do for me.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-01-2007, 05:12 PM   #12
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well sometimes the truth hurts I guess.

I didn't realise Ford was having issues selling utes at the moment.

Surely there is an Australian company that Ford could affiliate itself with.
Not the point I was trying to make.

I am saying as a whole it will certainly help the brand as a whole.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not the point I was trying to make.

I am saying as a whole it will certainly help the brand as a whole.
Well I have never seen a Harley on the back of a XR8. Ive seen plenty of dirt bikes and jetski's though.

Also, its hard enough to try and shake the American tag without doing something like this.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:

Then add supercharger
:
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 PM   #15
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally don't like Harley's but I have friends that do (people have a lot stranger tastes than Harley's - Ssanyong Stavic?)

Anyway I digress...the idea has some merit.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #16
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I personally don't like Harley's but I have friends that do (people have a lot stranger tastes than Harley's - Ssanyong Stavic?)

Anyway I digress...the idea has some merit.
LOL at Ssanyong, so true.

Yeah I agree the idea is good, just not the company.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #17
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
LOL at Ssanyong, so true.

Yeah I agree the idea is good, just not the company.
Polyal I dont mean to be picky.........but cmon.........its obvious you dislike Harleys (as has been determined!).

You've never ridden one - yet then made some unsubstantiated comments about them from a performance perspective (ie 'they go nowhere')

Now you are on about them as not a 'good' or worthy company. Know much company history? On what facts do you make that statement? Just out of pure personal dislike?

Dislike is one thing - thats fine and unquestionable. We are all entitled to that! But cmon man to go making some pretty poor broad statements with little or no knowledge behind them is simply getting your post count up and doing little to invoke intelligent discussion on the topic.

You made your point in post 1 about your feelings on Harleys. Is it going to continue to cloud every other post you make too?

BTW its not as though this is an 'out of the ballpark' occurence (having 'Harley' themed vehicles) - it does actually occur already in the states - its just that Harlz1 believes they should be more easily available in Australia.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #18
harlz1

Thanks for the feedback guys, good and bad. I still think they would sell like hotcakes if Ford AUST stuck their necks out. I have attached a photo of the latest offering from the states.

Last edited by harlz1; 26-11-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #19
harlz1

Here is another pic. For other images just type Harley F150 into Googles Image search engine.

Last edited by harlz1; 26-11-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:50 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Love the look of some of the F150 Harley versions ... have see a number of them around Sydney .... and at the All Ford Days as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #21
ratman
krunch krunch hsv 4 lunch

how about a Holden issue Falcon ute, saw plenty of falcons towing crappy holdens over the weekend
ratman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #22
irsa76
Snoopping

While I think the concept is sound, I don't think it will work. Harleys are as big an American icon as the Ford F series so the tie in works. Try it here and it just looks like a marketing stunt.
irsa76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good times for H-D January 2007

BikePoint

From the Milwaukee bunker: Harley-Davidson has great reason to celebrate this Christmas, after achieving record November sales for the iconic motorcycle brand in Australia

With 658 motorcycles sold, November is the biggest sales month to date for Harley-Davidson in Australia, boasting a whopping 82 per cent increase from 362 units sold in November 2005.

Year-to-date cumulative sales in Australia have increased by 38 per cent overall, with 4977 units sold at the end of November, compared with 3,598 this time last year.

The top three selling models during November were the Softail Standard (FXST), the Softail Fat Boy (FLSTF) and the Dyna Street Bob (FXDB).

Wouldn't FORD like sales figures like Harley !!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 PM   #24
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Polyal I dont mean to be picky.........but cmon.........its obvious you dislike Harleys (as has been determined!).

You've never ridden one - yet then made some unsubstantiated comments about them from a performance perspective (ie 'they go nowhere')

Now you are on about them as not a 'good' or worthy company. Know much company history? On what facts do you make that statement? Just out of pure personal dislike?

Dislike is one thing - thats fine and unquestionable. We are all entitled to that! But cmon man to go making some pretty poor broad statements with little or no knowledge behind them is simply getting your post count up and doing little to invoke intelligent discussion on the topic.

You made your point in post 1 about your feelings on Harleys. Is it going to continue to cloud every other post you make too?

BTW its not as though this is an 'out of the ballpark' occurence (having 'Harley' themed vehicles) - it does actually occur already in the states - its just that Harlz1 believes they should be more easily available in Australia.
What is it with you and you fixation with my post count? I dont pay any attention to it.

Yeah I dont like them, but even if I did it still makes no sense.

If anything it devalues a car to go making "specials" willy nilly, because when you finally go and do one atleast it has some substance.

My opinion about Harley's doesn't really mean anything, its just that, an opinion.

If Harlz1 is that desperate then buy a F 150. I admit its a cool car/truck, but its just not going to work here with our utes.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 PM   #25
all4ford
XW 351

It would definately appeal to the Harley fans, but I dont think there really are that many Harley fans out there.

Personally I think we should affiliate Ford with something powerful and fast, which is definately not Harley. I do not need to have ridden one, my father owns a Kawasaki ZX14, and previously owned a Yamaha V-Max, there is not one stock harley that would come anywhere near either of those bikes.

All bull aside, the only reason the F150's are such big sellers to Harley fans in the states, is because they need a big pickup to "pickup" their heap of ***** Harley when it breaks down.

Feel free to ignore my post, but the overall message behind the post is that only die hard Harley fans really appreciate them, the great majority of motorcycle enthusiasts like jap bikes, i.e. fast bikes.
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 12:07 AM   #26
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
It would definately appeal to the Harley fans, but I dont think there really are that many Harley fans out there.

Personally I think we should affiliate Ford with something powerful and fast, which is definately not Harley. I do not need to have ridden one, my father owns a Kawasaki ZX14, and previously owned a Yamaha V-Max, there is not one stock harley that would come anywhere near either of those bikes.

All bull aside, the only reason the F150's are such big sellers to Harley fans in the states, is because they need a big pickup to "pickup" their heap of ***** Harley when it breaks down.

Feel free to ignore my post, but the overall message behind the post is that only die hard Harley fans really appreciate them, the great majority of motorcycle enthusiasts like jap bikes, i.e. fast bikes.
So, you haven't seen the V-Rod range ????
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 AM   #27
xrobx
Slammin'

A good idea affiliating a brand with Ford. But Harley? Not in Australia.

Iconic in America, that's why they are linked with one of Americas iconic trucks, the F series.

If you wanted something unique and Australian, you'd affiliate an XR8/FPV SP Ute with an iconic Australian brand.

Hell, make an AC/DC special ute!

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 AM   #28
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Harleys are recognised everywhere. Tell me you don't go deaf when one goes by... It really p*** me off.

I think its a good idea.

Last edited by Falc'man; 09-01-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 AM   #29
GT 0909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Love the look of some of the F150 Harley versions ... have see a number of them around Sydney .... and at the All Ford Days as well.
There is a small company out at South Windsor (George St I think) importing and converting them to RHD (Harley versions don't get built in Brazil, which is where our RHD F-trucks come from, so they have to be converted from US-built trucks). I dropped in to this place about 2 years ago whilst in Sydney, and at the time they had about 6 F150 HD's and an F150 Lightning being converted...
Old 09-01-2007, 06:58 PM   #30
bf tubs

id say there are more H D fans out there than the number of people who will buy the "force " fpvs. the v rod is damn quick and has plenty of torque. ive decided to keep my au xr8 ute in stead of upgrading to a bf so i can buy a v rod its a damn good looking bike an defiately no slouch ..be nice if i could pick up a HD ute after i pay that off
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post