Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
AussieCJ7

Default If the market has shifted to SUV's where are they?

So the press continues to stay families dont want to buy sedan's and want to buy SUV's.

Looking to update a territory Turbo Ghia so when I do a quick scan of the market,

1. remove $70K plus vehicles
2. 7 seats
3. Has real 3 seats across the back for a family of 5
4. capable of a family of 5 doing comfortable long distance (2000K +) trips

The choices are remarkably slim
1. Toyota Kluga - higher priced on feature for feature comparison, drive train is getting pretty dated and has the driver engagement of watching paint dry
2. Mazda CX9 heavy on fuel, dated drive line
3. Ford territory best in class on space and long distance comfort but engine choice is lacking on performance and the total package is dated
4. Kia/Hyundai at best 2.5 seats across the back so fails on space of a family of 5
5. Izuzu MUX/Holden Colorado off road capability but based on truck platform gives more 4x4 comfort than SUV. still pretty narrow across back seat
6. Nissan Pathfinder. dated drive train poor fuel economy

So if the market is really gone this way why are manufactures not jumping over them selves to deliver vehicle's with SS commodore/XR8 style performance and space in SUV format ?
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: If the market has shifted to SUV's were are they?

MU-X auto fitted with an on road spring/shock package or decent shocks at least. Reliability and fuel efficiency.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I would say requirements 3 & 4 are subjective.
3) is dependent on who you're fitting into the back. We fit 2 adult males of average (below 6 ft) height in the back seat of a Territory on our trip to Perth. I wouldn't have put a third person, not enough room.

4) Define comfortable? Who for, both passengers and driver? Any of the listed cars are more than capable.
Old 22-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

SUV covers quite a large number of vehicles. A lot more than what you've mentioned there.

Also how does 7 seats relate to a sedan
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCJ7 View Post
So if the market is really gone this way why are manufactures not jumping over them selves to deliver vehicle's with SS commodore/XR8 style performance and space in SUV format ?
Because it seems the majority of buyers want "compact" SUV's that have all the latest gizmos. They want the "look" of a 4WD product in the size of a corolla. What you have listed would seemingly fit the bill perfectly for the majority of buyers and then some.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I don't understand the SUV/Dual Cab craze:

The small "SUV" brigade:

- Slower than their hatch counterparts
- Use more fuel than their hatch counterparts
- Still SFA room in the back seats
- Handles worse

Then you have things like the Territory:

Same deal vs Falcon IMO, slower, uses more fuel (unless you opt for Diesel), etc.

Even our "Thailand Special" dual cab utes:

The tray/tub is now too small to be useful
The back seats are too cramped to be useful

The only dual cab utes that make sense are F series sized, you can actually fit 5 fat ****s like me in them comfortably and the tray/tub is still large enough in dual cab config to be useful.

Then you weigh up the single cab variants, they ride poor, the only benefit to them vs Falcon ute is diesel engine.

*flame suit on*
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So the press continues to stay families dont want to buy sedan's and want to buy SUV's.
Its true 2016 will see even more options in the SUV range. more options than there are for Sedans.

Quote:
Because the market doesn't want performance SUV's & the press is quick to jump on their fuel consumption figures. as this is what Families look at.

If you can Sacrifice the 3rd Row wait for a Ford Edge Sport
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #8
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A Jeep Grand Cherokee ticks all those boxes bar the 7 seats. Quiet, comfortable, wide, so fits 3 across the back easily. high on the gadget count Good on trips, I did 1300+ km last weekend.

That said the new Everest is released shortly and ticks all of your boxes. Why not have a look at one them?
Old 22-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #9
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

The small "SUV" brigade:

- Handles worse

Same deal vs Falcon IMO, slower, uses more fuel (unless you opt for Diesel), etc.

The only dual cab utes that make sense are F series sized, you can actually fit 5 fat ****s like me in them comfortably and the tray/tub is still large enough in dual cab config to be useful.

Then you weigh up the single cab variants, they ride poor, the only benefit to them vs Falcon ute is diesel engine.

*flame suit on*
I think its because you can do more with an SUV or ute. I drive a 4wd now after driving Falcons. I can go off road, carry almost anything due to the space inside, have enough room for up to 7 people, tow better etc. Performance is good enough and you cant go over the speed limit anyway these days.

Its more of a lifestyle thing. Smaller SUVs lose some of the size but have more useable space than a sedan. All modern cars handle pretty well these days for normal street duty.

Most of my friends drive 4wd utes now. They are always regularly 4wding, camping, fishing or carrying something around. Also its not often people drive around with 5 fat guys
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SUVs form 33% of the market or 350k sales this year. Appears they are out there somewhere.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I would widen to mid sized 4x4's, diesel Prado being 1st choice. Your resale will be a lot better on a second hand Prado than a SUV. If you're into risk, then Jeep awaits you.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I would say requirements 3 & 4 are subjective.
3) is dependent on who you're fitting into the back.
It's not subjective, there are measurements to prove it (**). Try the two child seats and baby capsule test - only those over 1500 mm across the second row are likely to make it.

AussieCJ7, if it helps, here is a compilation of internal measurements I got together during my own search for an under $70,000 SUV. I've included wheelbase as a rough indicator of leg room but it depends on how well designed the interior is.

Wheelbase: Jeep Grand Cherokee 2915, Nissan Pathfinder 2900, Mazda CX9 2875, Ford Territory 2843, BMW X3 2810, Audi Q5 2807, Toyota Prado 2790, Toyota Kluger 2788, Mitsubishi Pajero 2780, Holden Captiva 2707, Hyundai Santa Fe 2700.

Internal width at front seats: Territory 1548, Pathfinder 1541, Q5 1527, Santa Fe 1508, Mazda 1508, Kluger 1506, Jeep 1491, X3 1483, Pajero 1482, Captiva 1424, Prado 1369.

** Internal width at second row seat: Pathfinder 1534, Territory 1528, Kluger 1513, Q5 1494, Mazda 1490, Santa Fe 1480, Jeep 1474, X3 1458, Pajero 1451, Captiva 1422, Prado 1369.

Headroom front: Territory 1074, Pajero 1056, Pathfinder 1043, Q5 1043, X3 1033, Kluger 1033, Captiva 1026, Santa Fe 1006, Mazda 1005, Prado 970, Jeep 960.

Headroom rear: Pajero 1017, Kluger 1013, Territory 1006, Captiva 1003, X3 994, Santa Fe 992, Q5 990, Mazda 990, Pathfinder 977, Jeep 961, Prado 790. (Bear in mind that Territory and Pathfinder have theatre seating, which has view advantages for second-row passengers but the headroom is a little less.)

Cargo (behind second row in litres): Prado 621, X3 550 (without net, even more with), Q5 540, Territory 523, Santa Fe 516, Mazda 487, Pathfinder 450, Captiva 430, Jeep 412, Kluger 396, Pajero not known.

Here is a comparison of kerb mass (tonnes). In reverse order because lighter is better!: Captiva 1.64, Santa Fe 1.72-1.83, X3 1.73-1.8, Q5 1.77, Kluger 1.95-2.02, Mazda 1.96, Territory 1.96-2.14, Jeep 2.0-2.32, Pathfinder 2.04, Pajero 2.25, Prado 2.43.

Funnily enough, the Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't seem to tick all the boxes!

It will be interesting to add figures for the Everest to this when they come out.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
It's not subjective, there are measurements to prove it (**). Try the two child seats and baby capsule test - only those over 1500 mm across the second row are likely to make it.
Oh but it is. You see some may not care for the need for 3 baby seats but need to accommodate 3 teenagers, using more or less room.
His requirement is too vague, "..Has real 3 seats across the back for a family of 5." What are real seats, is it the third seatbelt good enough or does it need to fit 3 fat bastards?
Requirement 4 fits into this too, if you need to fit 3 adults for a long journey then shoulder width and leg room would need to be accommodated, whereas 3 toddlers won't need so much.
Old 22-05-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The small "SUV" brigade:

- Handles worse

*flame suit on*
We like them for a few reasons

1. With a ute i can throw the kids bikes, wet sports gear, Surfboards, the dog (If we had one) ect in the back and only wash it out with a hose.

2. Sit up higher, (Mainly cause everyone has a 4wd or Hilux, So sitting in my commodore i cannot see round them)

3. Towing, i can tow pretty much anything at anytime, no matter the surface.

4. Friend have 300 acres near Goulburn, so we can hang out down there and not worry about bottoming out or having to leave the car at the front gate and getting them to pick me & kids up

5. My SV6 commodore is so low (Factory not changed) that the front bar is all scuffed from the parking stoppers in shopping centers.

6. A good trip to bunnings and i can put in timber , cement and anything else in the back and the roof racks and roll bar allow good size lengths.

7. Speed humps and roundabouts are optional, unlike my commodore where they slow me right down.

Last edited by something wrong; 22-05-2015 at 01:53 PM.
something wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 01:51 PM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Oh but it is. You see some may not care for the need for 3 baby seats but need to accommodate 3 teenagers, using more or less room.
His requirement is too vague, "..Has real 3 seats across the back for a family of 5." What are real seats, is it the third seatbelt good enough or does it need to fit 3 fat bastards?
Requirement 4 fits into this too, if you need to fit 3 adults for a long journey then shoulder width and leg room would need to be accommodated, whereas 3 toddlers won't need so much.
I suspect the 1500 mm minimum would also apply to three fat bastards! As you can see, there's not much available that's above that.
Old 22-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:

The market moving to SUVs ≠ the market moving to satisfy all of your needs in an SUV.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #17
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Funnily enough, the Jeep Grand Cherokee doesn't seem to tick all the boxes!
In a similar vein to my post above, just because the Jeep GC does not tick all of your boxes ≠ the Jeep GC ticking all of someone else's boxes.

I really fail to understand why so many people on this forum struggle with the idea that just because something does or doesn't suit you means that it will or won't suit everyone else!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #18
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Fiat Freemont is also a 7 seater, not a fantastic car but has the room.
Old 22-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
In a similar vein to my post above, just because the Jeep GC does not tick all of your boxes ≠ the Jeep GC ticking all of someone else's boxes.

I really fail to understand why so many people on this forum struggle with the idea that just because something does or doesn't suit you means that it will or won't suit everyone else!
I didn't say that it doesn't tick other people's boxes. The conversation was about internal space - I was saying that it doesn't tick most internal space boxes. That may not be an issue for many buyers and obviously isn't an issue for them given the number sold. It's an issue for me and apparently the OP.
Old 22-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Looking to update a territory Turbo Ghia so when I do a quick scan of the market,

2. 7 seats

1. Toyota Kluga - higher priced on feature for feature comparison, drive train is getting pretty dated and has the driver engagement of watching paint dry
3. Ford territory best in class on space and long distance comfort but engine choice is lacking on performance and the total package is dated
4. Kia/Hyundai at best 2.5 seats across the back so fails on space of a family of 5
5. Izuzu MUX/Holden Colorado off road capability but based on truck platform gives more 4x4 comfort than SUV. still pretty narrow across back seat

Because not many want them hence Ford dropping the TTG?

The limitation in your selection criteria is your requirement for 7 seats which of course is a necessity in your case. Remove that and the choice opens up massively and that's where the majority of buyers typically are I would suggest.

As for interior widths, i've got a GC (1,491mm in back seat) which although poorly packaged internally compared to the Territory (1,548), it's still able to fit a chunky child seat (2 side mounted cup holders) in the middle and accommodate 2 adults in comfort so width is not an issue for me and I dare say, not for many SUV buyers neither given the amount of smaller SUV's on the road.

I would have loved to have waited for the Everest, but needed something 6 months ago, if I was you, i'd definitely be waiting to see what it has to offer mate.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #21
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:

The small "SUV" brigade:

- Handles worse

*flame suit on*
depends what you want in a car.

SUV is a far more versatile vehicle, long trips with 5 people, no problem

short trips with 1 person, no problem

Need to move some furniture, no problem

Sedans are also great, generally go a bit quicker, handle a bit better (all things equal), more fuel efficient, but are limited in what they can do.

thats why families buy SUVs.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 04:04 PM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To note most 7 Seaters Territory included are only useful for kids.
The only one in The OPs list that does have an adult suitable is the Pathfinder
I wouldn't call the driveline dated its a new CVT which is actually not that bad. and it has pretty good economy too. so maybe look at the current model.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #23
Matty4
Banana

My GC carries the 5 of us comfortably. My kids are 16, 14, and 11 and manage it.
Yes our old Terri was wider and it fitted child seats well, but they're not a requirement now.
Old 22-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #24
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i got a 100 series landcrusier because the falcon was getting knocked around to much on the roads out here. but also, i tow horse floats , so a 3.5 ton tow/cap is good. and top line diesel motor, that can handle truck/low grade diesel, prox. 10l100km. licensed to carry 8. doesnt ride like a truck. its big, but ive had it in under building car parks in sydney. all seats fold or come out. i love this car. but if thats not your thing, i would look at jeep gc, there specs are very good imo. 8 speed auto, diesel option with heaps of power, and bells and whistles. nice styling. i will be looking at one when the time comes.

where are they? theres heaps in S.W Sydney
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #25
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

2. 7 seats

Requirement for 7 seats for family of 5 limits your options significantly . At a guess general use would require 5 comfortable seat with 7 being occasional use.
Something like a spare room at home.
Any of the cars you mention will do the job ( they are not much worse space wise from Territory you own now) .
High performance SUV is a bit of oxymoron as they sell on practicality, flexibility and comfort. Turbo Terry was on sale for 4 years only. Big and tall SUV don't really make a good platforms for performance cars - even big$$ Cayenne ,X5 etc are compromised when compared to equivalent sedans/wagons.
If you want to regularly transport 7 people in comfort best solutions are dedicated people movers - I like Multivans and Vianos and get a used perfomance car for fun.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
depends what you want in a car.

SUV is a far more versatile vehicle, long trips with 5 people, no problem

short trips with 1 person, no problem

Need to move some furniture, no problem

Sedans are also great, generally go a bit quicker, handle a bit better (all things equal), more fuel efficient, but are limited in what they can do.

thats why families buy SUVs.
You know whats even more versatile than an SUV?

People mover, such as new Kia Carnival.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 06:27 PM   #27
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

*flame suit on*
Don't agree, the back of a dual cab PX ranger has just as much room as a falcon, or at least feels like it does. And while the tub isn't massive its still great for lots of things; wet, tall, dirty, smelly whatever it is can just throw it in the back and not worry about it. I can still sleep in the back of mine when I go camping. Feels like a car on the road and I can take it on the beach, many positives in my eyes.

Last edited by FlipXW; 22-05-2015 at 06:46 PM.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #28
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had both our sons in the back of our Triton dual cab...one 6'3 the other 6'2, and big blokes with it. No problems.

Oh, and I think there's way to much emphasis on "an exciting drive". You won't get it...there has to be trade offs.

When we got new tyres for our Triton, they were about an inch taller than standard. No biggie. The tyre guy warned us that we "might feel some tyre squirm if you go too fast into corners on a twisty road".
I replied "You...DO realise it's a big four wheel drive, and not an SS Commodore...? Flogging it down a twisty bitumen road isn't really high on my list of priorities..."
He sighed and said "You'd be surprised the number of people we get in here actually demanding we do something to give their fourbie or SUV the handling of something like that...I don't think they get it..."

Last edited by 2011G6E; 22-05-2015 at 06:49 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #29
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Oh, and I think there's way to much emphasis on "an exciting drive". You won't get it...there has to be trade offs.

When we got new tyres for our Triton, they were about an inch taller than standard. No biggie. The tyre guy warned us that we "might feel some tyre squirm if you go too fast into corners on a twisty road".
I replied "You...DO realise it's a big four wheel drive, and not an SS Commodore...? Flogging it down a twisty bitumen road isn't really high on my list of priorities..."
He sighed and said "You'd be surprised the number of people we get in here actually demanding we do something to give their fourbie or SUV the handling of something like that...I don't think they get it..."
Well some manufacturers manage it: BMW, Porsche - and Ford with the Territory. I have no intention of giving up that side of it any time soon. An SUV and driving pleasure thanks! I admit with an offroader its different but perhaps Land Rover/RangeRover does it? I haven't driven one for years.
Old 22-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #30
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kia Carnival is brilliant. Diesel would be the pick.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: