Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Unhappy Toyota in 2012 was the global #1 vehicle manufacturer

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...060493750.html

Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota in 2012 was the #1 vehicle manufacturer

No great surprise...they make everything from little econo-boxes to sports cars to great value-for-money family cars to luxury cars to four wheel drives of all sizes to trucks...truly something for everyone.

Ford (and Holden) could learn a thing or two from them. Yes, Toyotas such as the Aurion and Camry are seen as "bland" and "vanilla"...but they sell, in massive numbers, to people who make up the vast majority of car buyers...people who aren't enthusaists, who take a big interest in 0-100 times and quarter mile sprints, people who just want a family car that's priced sharply and does everything not outstandingly, but perfectly adequately.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

I believe Toyota has super low finance and has been offering some cars at great prices. And if you just had a lemon and wanted to flee to quality you'd be hard pressed to beat the Toyota rep for reliability.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

their rep maybe in for a hit,my last drive down to brissy and back i seen 5 broken down 90's models toyotas and 2 90's model daewoos,i wont own another toyota after my lemon.i really think alot of the so called reliability has been built on old ducks who never thrash their cars,never go over 85km/h on the hyway and always have them garaged and serviced.now if you change that with young p platers driving 15 year old toyotas who give them a bit of a hard time they seem to start failing.
i reckon you will start to see more and more of these older toyotas in a bad way when they get a bit of age on them and they filter down to younger drivers just my opinion.give a p plater a new toyota and get them to thrash it like they thrash a falcon or commodore and id like to see how long the toyota reliability lasts.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
No great surprise...they make everything from little econo-boxes to sports cars to great value-for-money family cars to luxury cars to four wheel drives of all sizes to trucks...truly something for everyone.

Ford (and Holden) could learn a thing or two from them. Yes, Toyotas such as the Aurion and Camry are seen as "bland" and "vanilla"...but they sell, in massive numbers, to people who make up the vast majority of car buyers...people who aren't enthusaists, who take a big interest in 0-100 times and quarter mile sprints, people who just want a family car that's priced sharply and does everything not outstandingly, but perfectly adequately.
....and will prove to be boringly reliable, which is something Ford/Holden need take note if they wish to start selling euro cars to replace Falco/Commodore with FWD.
Toyota OWN that space!

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys seem to be discussing this topic like it is a local Australia issue. Australian car sales add up to jake all in the world stage!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
You guys seem to be discussing this topic like it is a local Australia issue. Australian car sales add up to jake all in the world stage!!
But we still punch well above our weight. Our pop. is 23 million and the UK is 63 million, but their car market is only a bit over double ours.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

well great finance options will do that
imagine if ford had those options for finance

a lot of us would be driving better cars or cars that we 'really' want
i know if they offered my bugger all interest id certainly upgrading

they should do take home layby
50 a week no interest
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619 View Post
My fault. I should have made the title "Toyota in 2012 was the global #1 vehicle manufacturer"
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

fair comments, i will also add they seem to put a bit more effort into getting bugs out of their cars on the production line rather than she`ll be right it may get fixed at pre delivery or during a service on the customers time, it`s the small attention to detail that keeps toyota customer loyalty imo.....hence they are number one..... even if some of their cars are bland white goods on wheels.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
fair comments, i will also add they seem to put a bit more effort into getting bugs out of their cars on the production line rather than she`ll be right it may get fixed at pre delivery or during a service on the customers time, it`s the small attention to detail that keeps toyota customer loyalty imo.....hence they are number one..... even if some of their cars are bland white goods on wheels.
Zackly!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 29-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #12
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau View Post
their rep maybe in for a hit,my last drive down to brissy and back i seen 5 broken down 90's models toyotas and 2 90's model daewoos,i wont own another toyota after my lemon.i really think alot of the so called reliability has been built on old ducks who never thrash their cars,never go over 85km/h on the hyway and always have them garaged and serviced.now if you change that with young p platers driving 15 year old toyotas who give them a bit of a hard time they seem to start failing.
i reckon you will start to see more and more of these older toyotas in a bad way when they get a bit of age on them and they filter down to younger drivers just my opinion.give a p plater a new toyota and get them to thrash it like they thrash a falcon or commodore and id like to see how long the toyota reliability lasts.
As if to say no second hand Commodores or Falcons break down at the hands of a youngen?

My first car was a VK Calais, lemon. Owned it for about 4 months before my Dad made me sell it because it was costing (him) too much.

My second car was an EL Fairmont, dizzy went 3 times, coil packs lost it, had a slipping auto, just as I was about to hand it over to my cousin (ford dealer) to sell it for me the fuel pump packed it in.

Third was an EL V8, similar dramas. Blown auto etc.

To say that they won't handle being thrashed after 20 years is relevant to every single car on the market - not just Toyotas.

The reliability aspect to Toyota extends to the fact that parts are very easy to get, and there is always someone with Toyota knowledge within x amount of km's if your car is to break down.
Old 29-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota in 2012 was the global #1 vehicle manufacturer

That and they seem to hold good value after three years. More than so many other brands.

My personal experience of one vehicle - 97 Prado that I have had for ten years, had put on gas six years ago. Top of the range VX Grande, fully optioned. Absolutely brilliant vehicle. Totally reliable, easy to service, everything works in it, air con still icy cold. Paint still perfect. Great off road and on road.

All I've had to do in ten years is rear discs once, rear pads, front pads, regular services. I got a 2" lift kit too, but that was a want to have, not a need to have. I've thought of upgrading, but why? To what? Get another car that's just as good, but shell out another thirty K for the privilege? Nahh. I'll spend that $30K on my future, or motorbikes or something.
Old 29-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You want a vehicle that holds a massive percentage of its value after several years, get a Prado or a Landcruiser...they retain a value way above what websites like Redbook and other valuation sites say they should have.

Yes they're expensive to start with...but they're one of the few vehicles that, in turbo diesel form, "kilometers don't matter"...one with 40,000km on the clock will be priced fairly close to one the same age sitting next to it with 140,000km on the clock.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Except for the diesel injectors causing seriously expensive hassle's, which seems to be quite common with them, Hilux too.

Toyota reliablility has taken a huge hit over the past few years, something they have admitted themselves. Just look how manytens of millions of cars they have had to recall over the past few years due to problems. And some cars had multiple recalls for 3 or 4 different problems.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #16
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Included in that 'silly American driver syndrome'.
Muppets!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Not surprised...they still have a good reputation...and are often the first name mentioned when asking about new cars, corollas, Hilux, camry...

Hiluxs, Hiluxs everywhere!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
As if to say no second hand Commodores or Falcons break down at the hands of a youngen?

My first car was a VK Calais, lemon. Owned it for about 4 months before my Dad made me sell it because it was costing (him) too much.

My second car was an EL Fairmont, dizzy went 3 times, coil packs lost it, had a slipping auto, just as I was about to hand it over to my cousin (ford dealer) to sell it for me the fuel pump packed it in.

Third was an EL V8, similar dramas. Blown auto etc.

To say that they won't handle being thrashed after 20 years is relevant to every single car on the market - not just Toyotas.

The reliability aspect to Toyota extends to the fact that parts are very easy to get, and there is always someone with Toyota knowledge within x amount of km's if your car is to break down.
another case of no maintenance?you do have to have a auto trans serviced just like the rest of the car.
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd View Post
I believe Toyota has super low finance and has been offering some cars at great prices. And if you just had a lemon and wanted to flee to quality you'd be hard pressed to beat the Toyota rep for reliability.
Regardless of finance deals,everyone is doin them ,and regardless of deals as such,its all about selling cars
If 1 % deals are needed, the car sells, the dealer makes money, the manufacturer makes money,people are employed,its the big picture
I dont understand if ford are in such dire straits they waited this long to offer 2.9 % finance
Wouldnt they be first for the offer ???
That aside , out of 6 new cars ive ever bought 5 were toyotas, nothin holden or ford offered at the time could match toyota
Deal,price, service conditions and the better resale value
The one new ford i bought was a big pain in the butt, nothin but trouble
Fords as toys , older stuff yeah,but new , never again ....
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 08:57 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
Regardless of finance deals,everyone is doin them ,and regardless of deals as such,its all about selling cars
If 1 % deals are needed, the car sells, the dealer makes money, the manufacturer makes money,people are employed,its the big picture
I dont understand if ford are in such dire straits they waited this long to offer 2.9 % finance
Wouldnt they be first for the offer ???
That aside , out of 6 new cars ive ever bought 5 were toyotas, nothin holden or ford offered at the time could match toyota
Deal,price, service conditions and the better resale value
The one new ford i bought was a big pain in the butt, nothin but trouble
Fords as toys , older stuff yeah,but new , never again ....
you get dodgey ones in all brands, my young brother is a toyota bloke, but even he concedes they are still cars and have problems like other cars, and i reckon they are a decent motor car in most cases, i have an old lexus as well and my Au xr6 which has been a great car small flaws aside, but the blind loyalty to any brand people pay homage to is misguided imo, no car is perfect, of course we like to think they are .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #21
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
the blind loyalty to any brand people pay homage to is misguided imo,
Totally agree .....
Lookin at recent threads around so called dyed in the wool ford fans would jump ship in a heartbeat

But in saying that,many buy a different brand because a better deal is offered,wether trade, finance, service package
I bet out of all the so called brand loyalists out there, they wouldnt have a yard full of 1 brand, there would be some odd ball in there
Most of my mates who are holden crazy have owned fords in their time,yet they never admit it,rose coloured glasses ...
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Except for the diesel injectors causing seriously expensive hassle's, which seems to be quite common with them, Hilux too.

Toyota reliablility has taken a huge hit over the past few years, something they have admitted themselves. Just look how manytens of millions of cars they have had to recall over the past few years due to problems. And some cars had multiple recalls for 3 or 4 different problems.
Perhaps Toyota admitting some issues and having recalls is a positive thing.

Beats having a manufacturer who admits no fault and when you bring your car in for a fault they say "it's normal, they all do it". Not having recalls does not mean they don't have issues which should be recalled but they don't.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #23
The Snout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Beats having a manufacturer who admits no fault and when you bring your car in for a fault they say "it's normal, they all do it".
Ar yes. "Within tolerances"
The Snout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

There are quite a few Australians in senior management positions in Toyota.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_landau View Post
I really don't like Corollas or Camrys, but in their defence, they don't rust like this...

Old 30-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #26
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post
I really don't like Corollas or Camrys, but in their defence, they don't rust like this...

And what do you know about this car for all you know it could have been parked at the beach all your life, I do a 10 km walk from North rd to Acland st and see all makes that are parked on the road that have bad rust.
Old 30-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Handed down Jap cars keep starting unfortunately, and with no need to chk air/oil/water cos it DOES keep starting ...oops!
Handed down cars from enthusiast (Falcon/Commodore) keep being chk by daddy, result - statistics that old Oz cars are more reliable in the long run.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 30-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #28
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To all you keen Toyota buyers I am starting an online cardigan , sandals and walking socks shop , hope to see yo all there real soon . Can someone who owns a Toyota tell me if the total situational unawarness courses are included in the price of the car . Boring bland cars for boring bland vehicle steerers . Do you want to marry the goer in short skirts , stockings , suspenders and heels or the frump in a track suit who can cook , iron , run the household budget and gives you ZERO excitment ?
Old 30-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #29
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win View Post

Oh yes they do , especially if as I suspect they live near salt water like that AU does .
Old 30-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #30
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" Beats having a manufacturer who admits no fault and when you bring your car in for a fault they say "it's normal, they all do it". Not having recalls does not mean they don't have issues which should be recalled but they don't. "

Would that be like Toyota immediately recalling millions of cars they knew to be KILLING their owners ? Oh sorry they were dragged screaming and kicking by the U.S. Congress to do that werent they after years and years of lies .