The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fined For Driving To Slow!

No not me :togo:

Leader Newspaper, Slow Driving Fine

Just a article in my local paper. ->

WHEN Cronulla P-plater Richard Ossington, 18, decided to listen to his mum's advice to take it easy on the roads, he didn't expect to be pulled over by the police.
The bottle shop attendant was fined $238 and stands to lose four points from his licence after he was pulled over for driving too slow in a right-hand lane.

Mr Ossington was driving at 65kmh in a 90kmh speed zone on the Princes Highway at Loftus/Royal National Park, near Farnell Avenue, on Easter Saturday when officers from Sutherland Highway Patrol stopped his car and issued him with an infringement.

Whats your opinion?

For me, This is one of my pet hates, Right lane camper's! 65kms in a 90kms zone is silly if its in good weather conditions!

I think its good the police are booking for it, I havent herd of it happen very much. I travel this stection of road alot and there really is no need to slow to that speed (unless its peakhour 20kms/hr haha). The right turn is a few hundred meters into the 70 zone after the 90kms anyway. There is lots of signs there saying "KEEP LEFT unless overtaking" as well! But its normal along this section of raod to be held up by people doing slow speeds(as with all high speed roads : ) Not really and good excuse for his slowness. Mum excuse dosnt count!

Last edited by Macca23; 04-04-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

should have lost his licence.. Nothing worse then someone in the right lane who isnt overtaking let alone doing 65 in a 90 zone.. Complete idiot.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yep, if only he kept to the left. Serves him right.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #4
ingall9

its about time, more people should get hit with this. I get sick of freeway driving being impeded by morons who dont know how to keep left. My own grandfather does it. He sits on 90 everywhere he goes, regardless of the speed limit, so yes on the M4 ins sydney, middle lane at 90km/hr regardless of the fact that the left lane is completely empty. The amount of people who move immediately into the overtaking lane when one begins and then procede to sit there until the end of the lane regardless of whether they are overtaking anyone or not is infuriating.

I feel better now after getting that off my chest :
ingall9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was just dangerous and incredibly stupid..

lets start a movement! every time you see some moron doing 20 under in the right hand lane, tailgate, flash lights and honk the horn!

VIVA LA REVOLUTIONE!!!(sp lol)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:35 PM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

He was probably doing so deliberately in a foolish attempt to make fun of 'hoon laws'.

No, I dont know, just putting it out there.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

about time he deserves what he got. if he is not a good enough driver to maintain the spoeed limit in reasonable trafic and weather conditions his licence should be reviewed he is obviously not confident on the road. and to make things worse he was sitting in the right lane no warning needed there are signs all over the place in nsw warning about this and that fines apply

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #8
rick'o
Car Slut

Actually, a funny example was Spencer Howson on 612 ABC Brisbane, who got done for doing 6k's (or something as silly) over the limit along Coronation Drive.

He then drove back and forth infront of the manned trap, driving well under the limit and was pinged for driving to slow by an irate cop!

Very funny...

Last edited by rick'o; 04-04-2008 at 03:44 PM.
rick'o is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
RogueDriver

Any chance we can ship the cops involved to Adelaide? They would come in handy on Main North Road!
RogueDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
TOASTED
JMM modded EF

he deserved it for sure. it makes me friggin mad when this happens to me

Guess the alcohol tax is turning people to mind altering drugs.
I drive : A heavily modified EF Fairmont with a JMM dev5 cam, worked head, 3.5" mandrel bent intake, exhaust, and a few other bits n pieces like a stally etc.

"She goes like a zirtek"

WANT A FAST FORD RING THIS BLOKE V V

Abbott Engines for HeadWork
20 years experience
PH Rob on (07) 5526 3883
TOASTED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they should impound his car then crush it
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Well done to the cops involved, more of this to happen the better.
Now all we need them is on every Melbourne freeway.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDriver
Any chance we can ship the cops involved to Adelaide? They would come in handy on Main North Road!
They wouldnt just be useful there. Try the southern expressway too.

IF YOUR NOT GOING TO KEEP UP WITH THE TRAFFIC, STAY IN THE LEFT HAND LANE!!!

This kid got what he deserved.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #14
lostdude

what a hoon....

but my biggest greatest hatest hate of all time is idiots who can't judge a gap and pull out from the left into the right lane , then i have slam my brakes on just so i don't help them along. this is on the m5.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
XR8putts

Despite the fact he's a moron (for driving that slow, and in the RHS lane FFS), good on him for listening to his mum but more so for trying (unsuccesfully) to be responsible. Someone had to say it.

Don't get me wrong, I can't stand fastlane campers, but I'd rather encounter (maybe not whilst following him) this guy than another car in another situation doing 140kph.

Go on, call me a keyboard warrior for going against the trend.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:49 PM   #16
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted this topic in the P-platers what are they taught this morning as well.

Here is my response to the paper that published the 'article' (hardly journalism in my view). They have posted this reply on their site this morning though:

Absolute support for the highway patrol on this one. Mr Ossington was not fined for driving slowly, he was fined for failing to keep left unless overtaking on a high speed dual carriageway. A driving licence is a privilege not a right (supposedly). For Mr Ossington who studied and got his licence so recently to completely disregard or fail to know the road rules so soon after is a sad indictment of either the testing process or Mr Ossington's attitude to driving. What make matters even worse is that this 'mad mile' (as it is known to regular users) is notorious for this dangerous behaviour and accordingly signs reminding of the road rule Mr Ossington broke are posted all along that area. Turning right somewhere in the next few kilometres is as much as an excuse to this offense as going through a red light and claiming immunity 'as nothing was coming'. This is simply a beat up and hardly worthy of press attention. Instead Mr Ossington should show remorse, accept responsibility for his offending and learn from and and better his driving. Congratulations to the Police for actually enforcing the road rules.

I sent this to the paper - and they have posted it on their website under the article.

A bit of background that those in the Shire will well know.

The area in question is known locally as the 'mad mile'. It is a cesspool of simmering road rage due to the prolific right lane hogging and bad driving that goes on.

Don't get me wrong, I grew up in Engadine, but Engadine drivers generally cannot drive to save their lives.

The reason right lane hogging is such an issue here is twofold (and probably why it is actually policed to some extent):

1. This is the first 'open' part of the Princes Hwy heading out of Sydney. It is the first dual carriageway with a limit of 90km/h. Most people are still in mind-neutral city driving mode and forget they have entered a major, higher speed arterial dual carriageway and the difference in driving technique and legality that that brings.

2. There are major turn off's at both ends of the approx 5 k carriageway. Southbound is the turn off to Engadine, one of Sydney's southern-most suburbs with a largely car based population, and northbound - the first access from the south to Cronulla, Miranda shopping precinct and the entire east part of the Shire. Most drivers are so lazy they just sit in the right lane the entire way just because they have to turn right at some time in the not-too distant future of their lives.

This isn't the first case in the media claiming foul over prosecution of a mad mile right lane hogger. An ex member of parliament (for the area no less) took a similar fine to court and lost claiming he needed to turn right (on a motorbike) within 3 km. Now in my mind, if it takes you 3km to change lanes, then its time for a bus ticket.

The resultant road rage along here along with tailgating and undertaking is almost as abhorrent.

Three cheers for the Sutherland Highway Patrol. Champions. Now if that example could be followed on the other of Sydney's major arterials then there would be a whole topic of threads that would be avoided.

Yep - this whole thing fire's me up as you can tell.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #17
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Serves himself right, being a P plater makes it worse as he should have the road rules fresh in his memory.

I certainly hope that the police are going to start cracking down on this more often. As was said earlier,it is a pet hate for a lot of people.

Try coming back from up north on the F3 on a weekend, you have no hope in the right lane. 90% of the time the left lane is moving faster. Grrrrrrrr
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #18
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
what a hoon....
Now. crush his car :
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

I agree with everyone here, he deserves what he got. The amount of times I've been flashed by people who I overtake on the left and then go in front of them.. It drives me insane. This is the perfect thread to show off my sticker on my car. These people outrage me.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #20
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

The police should have suspended his licence and crushed his car on the spot.

Being a truck driver and dealing with this day in and day out, it drives me bonkers and have seen so many people nabbed for: " " " doing the right thing " " " .
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #21
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dad now NEVER lets me drive when mum is in the car for this exact reason. I'm going 90 in a 100 zone, then all the sudden "SLOW DOWN YOUR GOING TO FAST!" "TAKE IT EASY AROUND THIS CORNER"... Long story short, i ended up driving at 60kph, holding up a truck and about 10 cars behind me and STILL being told to go slower around corners.. i cant wait till i get my Ps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
Dad now NEVER lets me drive when mum is in the car for this exact reason. I'm going 90 in a 100 zone, then all the sudden "SLOW DOWN YOUR GOING TO FAST!" "TAKE IT EASY AROUND THIS CORNER"... Long story short, i ended up driving at 60kph, holding up a truck and about 10 cars behind me and STILL being told to go slower around corners.. i cant wait till i get my Ps.
dam dude, you need to put ya mum on the back of the pushy instead. That will be faster. :P

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll probably get flamed for this but good.

Driving slow is not safe, It holds up traffic and causes dangerous situations.

If you're incompetent to drive then you shouldn't be.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #24
BA-GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
should have lost his licence.. Nothing worse then someone in the right lane who isnt overtaking let alone doing 65 in a 90 zone.. Complete idiot.
Totally agree
BA-GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #25
lostdude

i also hate those idiots who drive 100 in 110 zone in the left lane, but when you go to over take them they decide that they don't like it and speed up and just stay next to you all the way till about 120, then as i don't like to stay on the right lane when i'm not over taking i usually either drop back when theres no cars behind me or hit about 130 to get infront of them.

i don't want to race you I JUST Want to GET HOME within the speed limit but NOT DRIVE like a brainless pickle....
Old 04-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #26
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
Pulled over for driving too slow in a right-hand lane. Driving at 65kmh in a 90kmh zone.
The police were doing their job correctly. This idiot needs to learn he was pulled over for not only creating a traffic hazard but blatantly disobeying the road rules i.e KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING. There is nothing more irritating than being held up by some idiot dreaming along in the right lane acting as a moving road block obstructing traffic. So instead of moaning to the newspapers about being rightfully fined, he should brush up on his knowledge of the road rules and move on - and perhaps not disobey roadside signage next time.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #27
Walt Kowalski
I use brain. Not hip.

Yup
Crush his car
With him in it.
Walt Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #28
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostdude
i also hate those idiots who drive 100 in 110 zone in the left lane, but when you go to over take them they decide that they don't like it and speed up and just stay next to you all the way till about 120, then as i don't like to stay on the right lane when i'm not over taking i usually either drop back when theres no cars behind me or hit about 130 to get infront of them.

i don't want to race you I JUST Want to GET HOME within the speed limit but NOT DRIVE like a brainless pickle....
oh man you got it in one. I feel like ramming them off the road when they do that. Its like they dont want to be made an example of when they are the ones holding up multiple amounts of cars in the right lane, so they think by speeding up in the left lane and not letting you in front of them is the best thing to do. Fuggin tossers they are.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 04-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #29
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for crushing his car
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #30
leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB
The police were doing their job correctly. This idiot needs to learn he was pulled over for not only creating a traffic hazard but blatantly disobeying the road rules i.e KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING. There is nothing more irritating than being held up by some idiot dreaming along in the right lane acting as a moving road block obstructing traffic. So instead of moaning to the newspapers about being rightfully fined, he should brush up on his knowledge of the road rules and move on - and perhaps not disobey roadside signage next time.
Well said....Actually you can even be fined on single lane roads for driving too slowly.There was an episode up here in Brisbane a few years back when an older lady was travelling at 60kmh in a 100 zone and was booked for "obstructing traffic"..apparantley the law states that if there is certain amount of vehicles behind you ( I can't remember how many) you have to pull over and let them pass.
leadfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post