Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
vish
buckled rim finder

Default Brake upgrade Vs Hand brake

Is the handbrake issue we all love so dear only limited to the Standard brakes on an au? or is it more of a universal problem? Im hoping a set of BA Xr brakes might eliminate this issue for me.

vish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

different brakes, same handbrake
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #3
redef

nope the probs in both car. dud design
redef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 07:00 PM   #4
vish
buckled rim finder

It the same unit in AU, Ba and BF?
so adjust it, it is then until someone redesigns it
cheers
Old 27-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Is it the same design with Territory rear brakes?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
MRJUCY
Fordless

Ford claims they've finally fixed it with a self adjusting jobbie in the FG but anything prior to that you'll have the same problem.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It's not just Fords either - plenty of Holdens, Camrys and Magnas with the same issue.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
vish
buckled rim finder

Supposedly the hand brake in the ef's is really good. Does any one know if one can be fitted into an AU? with IRS?
Old 01-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vish
Supposedly the hand brake in the ef's is really good. Does any one know if one can be fitted into an AU? with IRS?
The AU handbrake is the evolution from the EF's. You could do it but it would be easier to modify the AU one to EF specs. All you need is to file down the leading and trailing edges of the shoes and fit the second holding clip in the same way the EF has it. In case you don't know the EF (original design) had two clips, one at either end of the shoe to hold it in place. The AU (costcutting design) only has the one clip in the centre of the shoe to hold it in place allowing excessive movement.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
ohzone
Dent Removal

Would lubricating all moving parts (not brake surfaces) with a high temp grease help?
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #11
dishpig
Only an xr6...

Could somoeone please explain to me what this handbrake issue is. All I ever read is handbrake issue and nothing saying what exactly it is. Also how do I adjust my handbrake I tried to do it the same as I did in my snata but couldn't find the tightener part.

TICKFORD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>FPV
dishpig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 PM   #12
vish
buckled rim finder

Well cheers guys .. done some more reading ... and adjusted it. Works like a dream now. Took about 4 hours cos of some stuffing around but its done. Now holds lovely on our driveway , a lovely 40' slope where before i was nervous parking it on the flat at the top. Ive got a minimal swooshing now from the brakes when i drive slowly and quietly but its no biggie, |I could back it off a tad more but its not worth the can of worms it could open.

btw the issue is pretty much not having the handbrake work. Ive had it 'fixed' like so many others before and its good for a couple of months before it starts going soft. Next time it needs adjusting I should be able to it in about an hour or so.