Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
congo3sr

Question transmission pan

Not too long ago,I posted about an oil leak from what I believed was the back of the motor,not a big thing,just enough to p155 me off.Seemed like the obvious answer was the rear main seal.Today while doing the usual oil,coolant etc check it got the better of me,so I jacked her up and took a peek.
Motor as clean as a whistle,bell housing the same.
Bolts on tranny pan,,,,,,,,,,,,less than finger tight.
Had the full service stuff done,(so they say)5k ago.
by the greatest car dealer in the free? world.
so heres my question,I didnt want to overtighten the bolts,is there a tension that they should be,it looks like the pan gasket is new if that helps at all.
If you can help it would be appreciated.
cheers,
george.

ps- car is 2002 falcon 6.

congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #2
AUTickford
XD197

Dont overtighten them to the point they snap.The way i do it is to use a 3/8 drive ratchet and only use the one hand to tighten them so you dont overdo it,its important that the bolts are evenly tightened to get a good even seal on the pan.My eb,ed falcon manual says 15nm so im guessing that it would be the same.First time i did a service i worried about overtightening and the pan leaked so i tightened them a bit more then no more leaks
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
congo3sr

Smile

thanks for the advice,mate.
Gunna take it for a run today,then check to see if its all good after that.
Cheers
congo3sr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post