Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 24-08-2005, 02:05 AM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Spewing... Fuel $$$

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! I just went to get 98 octane.... 136.9 at Mobil and BP!!!!!! ARE THEY SERIOUS!?!?! I had to put half 95 octane, and then half 98 octane.... i managed to get 95 octane for $123.9... BUT DAMN! BP had a 95 octane for 130.9 as well. I doubt many dealers will be emphasising the use of premium unleaded in the Fiestas whilst trying to sell the car.... looks like alot of ULP Fiestas will be buzzing the streets soon........

: sorry, ill stop now.

Steven

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 02:40 AM   #2
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

*nods* i know what yuou mean
i went to fill the tank last week ... it was 126 o.O;; and now im low on cash till next week because of that XD ill remember next time to fill it in during the middle of the week or w/e the petrol price is a tad lower instead of doing it on a friday night XD
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 04:27 AM   #3
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will probably get slapped around here, As we all know the petrol prices are up but is there to much of a focus on the small changes its made ( yes i understand it will add to the overall costs if freight charges etc go up ) but when filling the car up for the normal weekly fill how does a few cents a litre leave people short changed ?

lets say it went up a full 20c a litre from last week to this and you take ? 50 litres, thats a $10 increase and yes its a lot of money to some people, but i would say in most cases people are used to wasting more than that each week lets say buying that extra drink when they could have had water or smoking, you name it and perhaps the current petrol prices are making people look closer at how they use / spend thier hard earnt.

Quote:
Teki04
With respect to your post but why would you bother half filling with one fuel and half with another ? lets say you put 25 litres in at the cheaper price you would have saved roughly 6 cents a litre totaling arond $1.50.

and isn't the fuel economy better with 98 and better for the engine etc? so would you really save the $1.50 ?

As above it will not / should not come down to a battle of what you can save at the pump, as there are savings to be had in most traditional areas that we spend our money in that would far outway the little extra at the pump.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
joshf2
striped

i agree

the fiesta tank isnt even 50 litres, and its more than likely that you'll never run it completely dry anyway.

your best bet is to fill it when the petrol pricing cycle is at its lowest, and hopefully also have one of those shop-a-docket 4c/L discount vouchers.

even then, 4c/L over 40 litres is only a buck sixty anyway ;)

wait till you own a bigger car with say, a 90L tank. ouch
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 08:59 AM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I guess the only way to fight back againt's the rissing fuel price's is to not buy it. I know it's hard but really there is no other way, the ACCC is sitting on their **** and the goverment is laughing.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes

I think it is a done debate and has been over and over again, fuel prices are set by many different variables and instead of complaining about Fuel Companies trying to rip us off you should really ask why are the Federal and State Governments taking so much revenue from petrol sales (at least in NSW) through taxes!

Also as DOC pointed out, do the math on the rise in price over the number of litres you purchase and the difference is not huge, sure its a couple of extra bucks each time you fill up and this equates to a whole lot more over a year but on the times you get stuck buying at high prices I guess you have to look at it from an rational viewpoint and say to yourself over the litres I have bought at 20C extra it might only equal $6 on a 30L tank.

For all the misers out there, Liquorland in NSW are running a promotion where if you buy 6 bottles of wine you get a fuel voucher for 20c off per litre. (My mate works there, not sure when it starts could be this week or next).
Old 24-08-2005, 11:31 AM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Doesn't bother me all that much in My Fiesta. I am glad I have it though, as at the moment the old car would have killed me
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
lincoln
Blinded

I'm already eating bread and drinking water. What do I do now??! :P
lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

hehhehehe, i didnt mean that its hurting, just ****ed off that its 136.9 now! Freaking hell!

As for only saving about $1.60... are you for real?
I used to get premium for like 119.9.... which means 38L = $45.55
Now, i pay 136.9 which means $52.02

More then just $1.60 in my opinion.....

I think im just ranting cause during the uni break i was earning heaps of money, however with uni starting again, im spending more, but earning less. Its hurting the bank......

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 24-08-2005, 01:03 PM   #10
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I have never paid more than $1.24 on optimax. Reason being. I always do petrol on tuesdays and use the shopping dockets giving me 4cents off per litre

Concidering I do 320kms per week just going to work alone. I can last one week with a full tank which is about $40 per week.

I seriously dont bother about paying for petrol, because u do what u have to do to get some where no matter how much it costs. ie work.

But dam i remember the days when petrol was like 84c and we thought that was expensive.
Old 24-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
whippet_zetec
Supes

84c.......I remember when petrol was 59c......and that wasnt that long ago either.
Old 24-08-2005, 02:25 PM   #12
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Yeah i remember the good old days of petrol being under 60c/litre

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln
I'm already eating bread and drinking water. What do I do now??!
Mate you are buggered ! ;)

I was ty at the economy of the ST when i went to VIC last weekend, only got about 500kms out of a tank in country driving, thats the same as city driving... damn that ! .....

Still the last fill up in Stawell @ $1.36/l cost $58 for about 43L ... even though the car has a 55L tank, never fill up that much at all

The extra 10-20c that petrol is these days, honestly doenst make a huge difference at all.

I even have the g/f with her fiesta on premium now, and it doesnt cost much more.

Mind you I think i might park the focus in her garage and steal her car for a while ;)

Chris
Old 24-08-2005, 03:39 PM   #13
christo_fiesta

Hey guys....

Very interested in this petrol frenzied topic...
I have some details to contribute.

After driving EXACTLY the same for the last 3 weeks, and not really giving the fiesta all that much I find that Optimax doesnt necessarily give me the best fuel economy.

I tried 1 week driving Shells 95 Unleaded, found I had the same economy but car didnt sound as nice, so I wont be touching that stuff again.

I have however had good experiences using Caltex's Vortex Gold. Maybe its just in my head, but its premium unleaded fuel, and for soe reason I get between 5-10% better fuel economy using it. And best of all its usually 4-10 cents cheaper than the Optimax that we have all grown to love...

just some food for thought guys, but yeah for the next few weeks Im going to keep using the Vortex gold stuff and see how i go.

cheers
christo_fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 05:40 PM   #14
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
hehhehehe, i didnt mean that its hurting, just ****ed off that its 136.9 now! Freaking hell!
As for only saving about $1.60... are you for real?
I used to get premium for like 119.9.... which means 38L = $45.55
Now, i pay 136.9 which means $52.02
More then just $1.60 in my opinion.....
I think im just ranting cause during the uni break i was earning heaps of money, however with uni starting again, im spending more, but earning less. Its hurting the bank......
Well based on your post i was for real. you stated when filling your tank you went half n half and there was no mention of prior prices ( going back some time ) as others have mentioned we can remember before it was .75c a litre ? so in theory you could compare to that.

Quote:
I think im just ranting cause during the uni break i was earning heaps of money, however with uni starting again, im spending more, but earning less. Its hurting the bank.
At risk of being unreal again and as mentioned above ( in original post ) yes fuel is up, and the post was more in the light that we could do other things in other area's that will far outway worrying about 2 cents at the pump.

A true example of this is i recieved a call from the mobile company the other day, telling me it was time to renew my contract, the guy comes around sits down and goes to renew the plan but before he did i said i would like a new phone and picked one for $799 and told him to add it to the plan as a MRO ( pay on bill option ), then looked at the plans and changed from a $150 a month plan to a new $100 a month plan with credits which in effect worked out about the same talk time for my money as the old plan.

I then included the phone which took the monthly bill to $103 in effect saving $47 a month over 2 years.

and with the new plan in effect the phone will cost me $3 a month X 24 months.

He then told me it would cost me $50 to downgrade my sub from $150 to $100 as a once of fee.

My response was no im not paying you will need wave that fee and if they dont ill shop elsewhere and probably pick the phone up cheaper anyway, with that he dropped the $50 fee and made the phone $729 on the spot.

This reduced the overall out even more and in rough round figures saves me $50 a month over 2 years > $1200 and in effect gives me a free phone valued at $799

With a net effect of $2K ( 799 + 1200 ) and at a .20c increase in price at the pump it sums up at 10,000 litres of fuel that in theory i can now pay for with a further .20c increase with no effect on my bottom line or 100 weeks ( 2 years rounded ) if i use 100 litres a week.

in summary most business out there are fighting for your $ and you can by shoping smarter make bigger gains with no effect to your life style if you take 5 to think it through.

( to further this i then claim back most of that $100 mobile bill in tax anyway but there's a whole new saving angle there in itself )

PS i fill up an XR8 , and a second car ( V6 ) at the pumps and would love to be paying smaller fuel bills.

Cheers
Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 09:14 PM   #15
GROOV3
Rollin

bah its cheeper than beer and scotch a lt

quit your ing
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

130.9 here and $20 is getting me under 16L which I am not happy about. Like Danny though, Im VERY glad I dont have the EF anymore. i would have driven it into the river by now if I did.

Ill be honest and say the Focus economy is not as good as I had hoped for, but it is still miles better than the EF was or our AUII.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Well, after using 95 octane.... screw that.... i filled up ultimate today for 131.9.... that 95 octane stuff made the engine extremely course above 5000rpm.

Ne ways... im just saying that over the weeks, the increase in price is noticeable. When i first got the car, $38 filled her up, now it takes about $45....

Btw, mista fiesta, about tuesdays being cheaper, lately that hasnt been the case (last two weeks). Monday was 119.9 and tuesday was 127.9 for ULP, and the week before hand monday was 118.9 and then tuesday was 127.9...... Basically, fill up when you see it in the low 20s now....

Anyways, after trying ULP, im back to PULP and i will stop ranting...

Steven

Old 24-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #18
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

The fuel economy of my Focus would be better if I stopped changing the configuration of the engine every second weekend.... but as if that's going to happen!

:monkes:

Much better than my EF tho, and I also don't have to spend money repairing it!

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #19
Dodge
i like to be stroked

thats why i bought a mini cooper on the weekend, no more going to the bouser every second day.
Old 24-08-2005, 10:49 PM   #20
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
thats why i bought a mini cooper on the weekend, no more going to the bouser every second day.
A new one? and Why would you.... on the S is worth the $$$ IMO

Old 06-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

WOW... $139.9 and rising........... my car is going to stop doing Kms....

Old 06-09-2005, 05:48 PM   #22
whippet_zetec
Supes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
WOW... $139.9 and rising........... my car is going to stop doing Kms....
lol...no it wont....eventually you will just get used to the price of fuel and will absorb it into your budget, then you will ask for a pay rise to offset the cost of living and the cycle starts all over again :
Old 06-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #23
joshf2
striped

hehehe

i just got 500k's out of 33L's
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

I paid 145.9 for Vortex 95RON today - was NOT happy.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #25
NC 5ltr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

148.9 for ultimate today.............glad im on gas.
NC 5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #26
BJ
Banned

Try driving some thing that get 4 mile to the gallon.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 08:34 PM   #27
slim

Over here it's $1.52 for 91......$1.57 for 95..gone up 13 cents a litre in 3 weeks.............................and rising soon no doubt !!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #28
GROOV3
Rollin

heard on the news a few people here in adelaide are reporting having tanks syphoned lol things are getting desperate
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 09:31 PM   #29
whippet_zetec
Supes

yeah all those tight ***** out there will start doing the following:
*servo take offs (fill up and drive off before paying) already happening in Sydney.
*syphoning tanks of peoples cars at night, could even be during the day (better get a petrol cap that locks and a flap that needs to be released from the inside)

it could get ugly out there folks
Old 06-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #30
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
lol...no it wont....eventually you will just get used to the price of fuel and will absorb it into your budget, then you will ask for a pay rise to offset the cost of living and the cycle starts all over again :
Yea, thats kinda what i meant. LOL. Interest rates might go down to offset the price rise of petrol.... but what if i dont have a mortgage?! bloody hell. I earn about $140 a week, and at the moment im spending $55 on petrol..... doesnt leave much for clubbing, clothes and food. GRRRRRRRRRR PAY RISE!!!!