Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
ben131185

Default series 1 brake rotors

starting to feel some slight shudder again. not too bad yet but will need some attention in another service or 2.
i think i've done about 90k since i had new rotors put on, so i guess it hasnt
been too bad.

i can probably get them machined, but is it worth it?
or should i just get new slotted or drilled rotors?

i was told by a mate who had drilled rotors that they were good, til he took it in for a service oneday and the mechanic said they had cracked between the holes.

any opinions please?

ben131185 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Re: series 1 brake rotors

A common problem with drilled rotors is that they do crack between holes. Slotted are more than adequate for street use, and usually a nice upgrade performance wise.

As for machining vs replacing, that is up to you based purely on finances. Slotted new would be the way to go if you can afford it.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
robbyj
Rob

i got some RDA slotted rotors for mine when the stock ones needed replacing.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: series 1 brake rotors

I would go the RDA slotted option too.

Better still, a S2-3 / B series upgrade on the front is the go.

I had this done on my S1 wagon and it made a vast improvement.

Have a read here.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...69#post2720169

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Go with GK's advice

Uk
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben131185 View Post
starting to feel some slight shudder again. not too bad yet but will need some attention in another service or 2.
i think i've done about 90k since i had new rotors put on, so i guess it hasnt
been too bad.

i can probably get them machined, but is it worth it?
or should i just get new slotted or drilled rotors?

i was told by a mate who had drilled rotors that they were good, til he took it in for a service oneday and the mechanic said they had cracked between the holes.

any opinions please?
If there's plenty of meat on the rotors, then it's definitely worth machining.
If they're almost on the wear limit, then replace.

If they're only shuddering a small amount after 90k, you're doing well.

Having said all that, if you can live with the slight shuddering, and they have plenty of meat left, don't do anything.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
ben131185

thanks for the replies guys.

i like the sound of the rda slotted rotors.

the s2/3/b series brake upgrade would be nice but i'm not sure i want to spend the time and money on that at the moment, also not long had a new hub assembly on the front left side due to a noisy wheel bearing so i'd be pretty much wasting that.

shudder isn't bad yet so will probably put up with it for a while longer and then see how much is left and decide on machining or upgrading to slotted.

and yeah i haven't done too bad, 90, 000ks over about 7 years is ok for these brakes, i try to look after them but the misses mainly drives it now and she's a bit harsher on them.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for the S2 upgrade you only need the lower control arms, swaybar mounts and swaybar. everything else is the same. I did the upgrade on mine got everthin from the wreckers for $100 and put new bushes in the control arms and took less than a day to install. well worth it and gives you more options on rotor and swaybar upgrades later.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
ben131185

$100 sounds worthwhile.
Old 17-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
SVR73
Mr Polish

I put DBA 4000 series slotted rotors on the front of my AU1 XR6 and it's the best money ever spent on it so far. Time to replace my front and rear pads again soon as the rear rotors/pads have been on there since I bought the car in 2004 with 40K on the clock. it does probably 1,000 km a year these days, ain't been seen at a show for seven years.

shop around when buying slotteds - massive difference in price between states and even suppliers in the same state. anywhere from several dozen to a couple hundred dollars difference in price for just the front rotors
SVR73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8 View Post
for the S2 upgrade you only need the lower control arms, swaybar mounts and swaybar. everything else is the same. I did the upgrade on mine got everthin from the wreckers for $100 and put new bushes in the control arms and took less than a day to install. well worth it and gives you more options on rotor and swaybar upgrades later.
and the spindles (aka steering knuckles)
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post