Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Tickford GT

Default Out Back GT Story

This is a story about a XY GT, this information was taken from the Presentation Board that the owners had on display at the front of the car, the XY GT was on display at The Falcon GT Nationals 2009
click on link for full story
Cheers Glenn

http://www.newcastlegtclub.com/

Tickford GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there is a story about it in the latest AMC too
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what a great story, thanks for the link Glenn.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
there is a story about it in the latest AMC too
It was a good Story in AMC. I especially liked the piece after the main Story on what an XY GT really is, refering to the Toffee Apple Restorations that are hardly driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

That was a great story...
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was an interesting read. Its a shame they are not going to do it up though......
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Super cool.
I wouldnt resore it, much more character as is.
This is Australia, we have lots of dirt and second rate roads that take you to the coolest country towns. If your a real driver you will get stone chips and dust and mud on your car.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

That's great.

Our XB GT sedan was also used properly. It was regularly driven on snow-covered roads with chains on the rear wheels and a pair of old school steel tube roof racks with occy straps holding the skis on - no, not for ski trips, we actually lived above the snowline and occasionally a good fall would bury the car for a week or more (we also had a 221ci XW '500' and the old man had an XC ute for work). A few holes were drilled in the front bar - two to mount the twin 7" Hella foglamps, and one in the middle for a solid hook that we tied the canoes off to when we went camping. The towbar was useful when we bought a hardware shop, before we got a one-tonner - deliveries of fibro, cement etc. were done with the old box trailer behind the GT. It also towed our ski boat all over the state and a few time a year we'd head down Brown Mountain in it with the caravan behind on our way to the south coast for a few weeks of sun.

It sure was nice to be able to grow up with it as a family car. Not many will have that sort of opportunity again.

It's great to see these guys keeping this old girl the way she should be kept.
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
JD86
DELANY

awesome read, iv seen photos of the car before and wanted to know more

isnt there also a wild violet xy gt that isnt being restored?

thanks for the article
Old 20-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't get it! He replaced the broken coil spring so why not replace the broken grill pieces and driving light?

Why not clean the car and give it a polish? What is the historic significance of dirt?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
anto
Za Dom spremni

if he had bought the car with no back story and relevence then you would expect him to restore or at least repair it, but I can understand why he hasnt. It has an interesting story to go along with it, the dents on the roof, the seat etc......and at the shows it is something a little bit different to set it aside from the row upon row of meticulously restored cars. I love how he encourages everyone to touch it, get in and sit in it at the shows, seems like a genuine bloke who's not overly fussed about the GT fanfare...

I guess GT's mean different things to different people and in this case it seems to me that the owner is more intersted in trying to maintain the unique history of this particular car because of its backstory, not so much its originality as such...
Its not necessarily a bad thing IMO, as there are plenty of restored ones to go around.

just my opinion

If it were mine I know I wouldnt be able resist the temptation to restore l
AU III XR8 red ute
anto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post