Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Default QLD fog lights

Yay another fog lights thread Can we please keep the debates aside people!
Its been a couple months now I think since the new laws came in QLD of $40 fine for fog light use, just curious as to who has copped one on the spot or in the mail as I still see lots of people cruising with them on. Not as many as there was but still a fair few....

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

Mate of mine got done, he'd already been let off with a warning, same cops saw him a few days later...
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I dont use mine unless its raining / foggy or smokey so no.. But i still see numerous cop cars with them on!!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

x2 with the cops having them on. The law musnt apply to them . Although there sure has been a decline in the amount i see out on the highway everyday. But I can say with confidence that a lot of Monaro/SS drivers are ignoring it. All in all they never bothered me, but if that's what our dear government insists on, so be it.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
Xr8uteRay
lolhsv

I'm confused. Why is it illegal? I don't understand.....
Xr8uteRay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Look daddy, another fog light thread! We can go over all the same old stuff again and again. Or, read your states driver-manual re the subject. (Even I thought it was a bit early for a new fog light discussion, what with winter still months away).

* Is thankful front fogs are no longer on certain HSV, just complianced LED DRL's.

Quote:
x2 with the cops having them on. The law musnt apply to them.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...1&postcount=28

Couple of pages of fog light discussion, here;
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1&page=1&pp=25

8 pages of front and rear fog light discussion here:-
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...2&page=1&pp=25
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 23-12-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Look daddy, another fog light thread! We can go over all the same old stuff again and again. Or, read your states driver-manual re the subject. (Even I thought it was a bit early for a new fog light discussion, what with winter still months away).
maybe if you read what I wrote you would see I wasn't interested in the fog light debate
just if the new rules were being enforced as there are still lots that use them

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Seems it hasnt stopped people using them i see plenty of cars with them on Luke. But they dont bother me regardless anyway.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
kinksta
Luxojet

half the people out there wouldn't even know they have them on...

christmas shopping, every bloody Forrester, land cruiser, what not has them on. It's annoying cos I have mine off and they don't know the rule, but if there wasn't a law mine would be on...

i like the concept of daytime running lights, but how are they allowed? obviously not as bright...at times
kinksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2009, 12:12 AM   #10
wados

got a warning the other day, payed dumb and said i didnt know there was a new law and just gave me warning. I think for a $40 dollar ticket it is not worth the police efforts
Old 24-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xr8uteRay
I'm confused. I don't understand.....
Seeing as your from Qld.....your excused
Old 24-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
GSfalcon500

Quote:

* Is thankful front fogs are no longer on certain HSV, just complianced LED DRL's.

Surly as a safety freak you would say that fog lights make a car more visable right , so why penalise people who use them .
GSfalcon500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fog lights are for fog use.
You want to be visible parkers or low beam,unlike the countless idiots I've seen over this last week driving with headlights on high beam.During daylight hours.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

PARKERS lol!! Try and spot someone with parkers on during the day..

I must say 18 months ago I used my foglights as DTRL's!!!!
Old 28-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #15
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just like Volvo's parkers always were on to warn other drivers that a Volvo was on the road it warns other road users that a moron that thinks it's foggy is on the road also.
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #16
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

As said in other threads on this topic..
In some countries cars ARE fitted from the factory with daylights which are very close to proper fog lights only smaller diameter..
Fog lights don't blind your vision..
Driving lights do ...
The law makers have banned them "all" as it's too hard to differentiate between the two..
The colour of your car makes a big difference to be seen..
I drove a green car in N.Z.. Nearly had several accidents as people could NOT see the car from the back ground...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #17
b2tf
not here much anymore

I'll say this again - we are going to keep this civil and to-the-point.

I do have a question, Im not in QLD but Im wondering if anybody can provide clear information about the difference between Daytime Running Lights and Foglights. And if we can go a bit further, what are the ones fitted to Falcons classed as?
Old 28-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #18
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

I do have a question, Im not in QLD but Im wondering if anybody can provide clear information about the difference between Daytime Running Lights and Foglights. And if we can go a bit further, what are the ones fitted to Falcons classed as?
I believe i read that Fog lights are the ones fitted to B series XR's and Daytime running lights fitted to B series Fairmont
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf

This has often been discussed in other threads so you could trawl through pages and pages of uninformed guff or you could PM Keepleft who seems to be the only one who knows EXACTLY what the difference is. Lights of the same size can be identified by the writing on the glass cover. As above Ford XR's have FOG lights. I reckon its about time we had a sticky on this.
Old 28-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
Just like Volvo's parkers always were on to warn other drivers that a Volvo was on the road it warns other road users that a moron that thinks it's foggy is on the road also.
Ooh! that was hurtfull.

I have a Volvo company vehicle!
Old 28-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

according to the NRMA

Fog lights

Designed to improve visibility of the road directly ahead of the vehicle in fog or hazardous weather conditions where visibility has been reduced. The Australian Road Rules state that they are not to be used at any other time.

Front fog lights can emit either a white or yellow light. Rear fog lights must emit a red light.

Rear fog lights are installed to make a vehicle more easily visible from the rear in fog, mist or hazardous conditions and should be wired independent of the car's other lights.

Fog lights have a low, flat, wide beam that is meant to illuminate the road below the fog or mist.

Switch off your fog lights once visibility is clear as they can blind other drivers.

Daytime running lights
DRLs are bright, white, forward-facing lights that improve the forward conspicuousness of vehicles in the daytime
Usually activated automatically when the engine is running
DRLs are the same as the main headlights.

Driving lights
Have a powerful beam that projects well down the road and are used to supplement high beam, especially when driving in country areas.
Should be wired to only operate when high beam is used.

usually on the front or the roof of a 4x4

the Falcon user manual (well mine says it) they are FOG LIGHTS, the button to turn them on or off also has the title FOG LIGHTS, the bulbs even state they are FOG LIGHTS and Hella who made them say they are FOG LIGHTS....

the fairmonts if fitted had CORNERING LAMPS, indicate left, the left lamp illuminated.......
the BFII Ghia was fitted with FOG LIGHTS and also had a switch to turn off said FOG LIGHTS

i still want someone to answer me as to how do fog lights blind on coming traffic?, if fitted as they should be they point down and wide.... unless your sleeping on the road, which might i add is illegal also, how?

even the BT50 with a higher ride height, i could look at my fog lights all day because amazingly they pointed down... and the bulb even has a cover so it didnt reflect light upwards..... absolutely shocking that is, im amazed we allow apes to run this country

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #22
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just because you have the lights, doesn't mean you have to use them everytime your in the car. If your a non smoker, do you take up smoking just because the car has an ashtray and a cigarette lighter?

I think it comes down to people wanting to feel important. Look, here I am, I'll switch my lights on just so you can see me. I am important. Acknowledge me.

Fines should be greater than $40. Should be demerit points attached.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #23
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My brother has an 05' F250, it runs the driving/fog lights automatically with the headlights - there is no way of turning them off. He has been pulled up by police and they even went to the trouble of looking for a switch but couldn't find one. No fine.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3SR
i still want someone to answer me as to how do fog lights blind on coming traffic?, if fitted as they should be they point down and wide.... unless your sleeping on the road, which might i add is illegal also, how?
How does high beam blind anyone in a built up area even if there are no houses or other cars?

How is failing to indicate at an intersection dangerous if there are no other cars?

How is failing to stop at a stop sign or red light dangerous if there are no other cars?

How is crossing double lines dangerous if there are no other cars?

How is going 60 in a 40 school zone dangerous 5 minutes before the kids get out?

Whether of not it is dangerous is irrelevant. It is illegal and that is the end of the story.

The only people who really complain about this are the "look at me" brigade, most of whom appear to be almost as docile as they are narcissistic.

If you really HAVE to have your "look at me I am sooooo uber cool" lights on then why not change the bulbs to driving lights and then get an engineering certificate that denotes this. That way when you are rolled you can produce this evidence and not get a ticket.

This will not, however, change what most other road users think about you....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPGMH
My brother has an 05' F250, it runs the driving/fog lights automatically with the headlights - there is no way of turning them off. He has been pulled up by police and they even went to the trouble of looking for a switch but couldn't find one. No fine.
F250s (Australian Complianced) dont come with Foglamps.. They are aftermarket and probably illegal.
Old 28-12-2009, 08:55 PM   #26
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
How does high beam blind anyone in a built up area even if there are no houses or other cars?

How is failing to indicate at an intersection dangerous if there are no other cars?

How is failing to stop at a stop sign or red light dangerous if there are no other cars?

How is going 60 in a 40 school zone dangerous 5 minutes before the kids get out?

Whether of not it is dangerous is irrelevant. It is illegal and that is the end of the story.

The only people who really complain about this are the "look at me" brigade, most of whom appear to be almost as docile as they are narcissistic.

If you really HAVE to have your "look at me I am sooooo uber cool" lights on then why not change the bulbs to driving lights and then get an engineering certificate that denotes this. That way when you are rolled you can produce this evidence and not get a ticket.

Ermm okay....

I think ill just sit in the corner and watch!
Old 28-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #27
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

HSVs all still have front Foglamps.. Aswell as the DRL...
Old 28-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #28
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
F250s (Australian Complianced) dont come with Foglamps.. They are aftermarket and probably illegal.
Bought new from Ford Dealership, with these lights.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #29
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

back on topic ..no i haven't heard of anyone getting fined as yet, but we are in a mining town ,full of boy racers with em on, as said before not really worth the effort i don't think .
and they are part of the mining companies slogan lights on and live ,so the work message will far outway any government message /education ...as most drivers would not even know the rule exists,all our mine vehicles are hard wired to have lights on ...many without a disable switch

i doubt the rule will be chased up too much ...my 2 cents
Old 28-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #30
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Applause,applause...+1 onya flappist!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post