Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Bang for Buck

As a potential buyer, if I consider where prices were, prior to the closure announcement, its very easy to get depressed.

And in truth, my mind has begun to wander, to things such as Old Jags... Recently, I even tried to imagine myself in a V8 Caprice (But my intestines sucked my genitals back inside my body, and I temporarily lost the power of speech.)

So I'd thought I'd have a bit of a hunt around carsales...

In truth, if locally produced big-iron is all you want, then there are plenty of Commodes at decent prices...

Around the $20~25k mark, will find a small selection of FG XR8s, with the Boss 290, and moderate kms, such as this:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-18963508

Ok, so widen the parameters beyond the Sacred Blue Oval, and let's see what there is? Short Answer, putting aside the aforementioned plethora of Commodes, not much.
I know the dear old Boss was maligned by some, but few others come close. The only other relatively common competitor is the venerable Hemi as found in Yeeps and the 300. (The great thing with the Jeep is that the 3.5T towing capacity actually allows you to tow the fuel-trailer.)

If you're prepared to sacrifice a few kw, then I must say the Nissans look an attractive proposition. I don't know a lot about them, but there are plenty of Skylines, and even a few Zs, with the 3.7l V6. Something like this:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6741307

And apart from a few outliers, that's really about it.
There are certainly better cars. There are those that were better equipt, more modern or sophisticated, and even more powerful. But unless you find a clapped out one, or a true bargain, nothing in the same price bracket.
Old 20-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Bang for Buck

What do you actually want?
300s are overrated boats.
Any falcon is a typical falcon (crap)(but i love them)
Jeeps, dont even go there. ****erwagon
Yes cars cost more now. An obvious side effect of peoples uncertainty at the moment.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
westoftown

I've been having kind of similar thoughts on this topic of late too:

In the market for a B series XR8, for the most part, Redbook claim to values these at anywhere between 6 - 9k, but i have not seen a BA or BF XR8 in that price bracket unless it was clapped out, needing work, high kms or all of the above. Most of the better examples start at 10k & up.

Are institutions like Redbook undervaluing them? are the owners or dealers inflating the prices as a whole? what is causing this discrepancy?

Either way, on just about every ad I see whether it's gumtree or carsales or other, the accompanying post script to each ad is usually something along the lines of:

"rarer than hens teeth" "they dont make these anymore" "will only increase in value" "stick it in the shed and watch it appreciate" "a great investment"

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #4
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon Red book is something put together by the insurance industry,to help convince you that the car that just got crashed is worth much less than it realisticilly costs to replace like for like.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Covid has inflated a lot of car prices on carsales I have seen. There is a lot less cars available now due to border restrictions, people uncertain for the financial future and thus holding onto the car for now. On the other hand, more sought after cars are being snapped up by people who would normally spend money going on holiday but have accumulated funds during covid for a project.

Car sales had about 230-250k cars available about 3 months ago. Now there is only about 150k cars on the market.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #6
westoftown

Quote:
I reckon Red book is something put together by the insurance industry,to help convince you that the car that just got crashed is worth much less than it realisticly costs to replace like for like.
Good point, never thought of that

Quote:
sought after cars are being snapped up by people who would normally spend money going on holiday but have accumulated funds during covid for a project.
Couldn't agree more, that probably makes me part of the problem as i'd fit into that category with ease.

Quote:
charcoal: one shade tuffer than gunmetal grey
westoftown is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #7
MercuryT
Banned

An S5 V8 goes for similar money to that (Falcon) XR8.

Sure Ford's are great, but it's a vastly inferior vehicle in every way outside power and cheaper to fix.

Bang for buck are Euro's as no passionate following which highly inflates Ford's and Holden's here.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2020, 05:06 AM   #8
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Bang for buck are Euro's as no passionate following which highly inflates Ford's and Holden's here.
I thought so too, but they just don't stack up.

Yes there are cheap euros, and there are powerful V8 Euros, but not both.
Old 21-07-2020, 05:55 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Prices of an FGII XR6T ute are more expensive now then when they were 2 years old with 35,000km on them.

V8 variants of Commodore and Caprice are excellent value, there's **** all else that's good value for what you get.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #10
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yes I was all excited about prices crashing but like everything in Australia the GovCo has a bail out to suit you!

So, I suggest waiting another 6 months, there are so many good cars available at pretty good money.

Some of the prices being asked for B Series XR8's is a joke, they are not a $10k+ car, 15-20k is GT money.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Yes I was all excited about prices crashing but like everything in Australia the GovCo has a bail out to suit you!

So, I suggest waiting another 6 months, there are so many good cars available at pretty good money.

Some of the prices being asked for B Series XR8's is a joke, they are not a $10k+ car, 15-20k is GT money.
I'm looking at replacing my daily but I'm also thinking maybe I should buy a house instead as the new car would be number 12 and maybe it's time to get a house first while there's the opportunity to capitalise on the economic downturn
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #12
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm looking at replacing my daily but I'm also thinking maybe I should buy a house instead as the new car would be number 12 and maybe it's time to get a house first while there's the opportunity to capitalise on the economic downturn
stuff it, what a load of bollocks buying houses care etc they all need care and more money in maintenance,
buy red wine, it does more for the economy, more for your own well being and does not depreciate in value.
Old 21-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sold my ba xr6 turbo a month ago and it was a blessing and a curse. Blessing was having a swarm of buyers for the ba even people offering more than the advertised price. Curse was trying to replace it, car prices seemed to be up an average of 3grand over a few months prior and I had to pay a little more than I wanted
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #14
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People topping up their $2-3k car budgets with another $10-20k thanks to easy access of super has seen a total wipe out of all the cars in the lower end of the market, along with aforementioned restrictions on travel meaning people are now spending money saved for holidays on cars.

Add to that the fact that you cannot go interstate to inspect a car you may want to purchase, you're forced to buy in your local area. Sellers have cottoned on to reduced availability, and adjusted their prices.

ED XR6's last no longer than a few hours on the market at the $8k mark.

200,000KM FG G6ET's and XR6T's were able to be found under $10k a year or 2 ago and now climbed up to $13+ again. Better kept ones with lower KM, even early examples of FG are up near $20k!

We were all talking about a potential "buyer's market" not long ago. It's gone the opposite way.

I'm not sure on the argument that people are avoiding selling in an uncertain climate? I would have thought people would be more inclined to sell and reduce debts.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV414 View Post

I'm not sure on the argument that people are avoiding selling in an uncertain climate? I would have thought people would be more inclined to sell and reduce debts.
Thats exactly what I was expecting, but, I have seen an increase in hot rods and older cruisers so time will tell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
Swordie

Id consider VE Series V8s.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Id prefer a VF series V8 if I were to head down the Holden path.

But there are some decent value Audi's on the market at the moment.
Old 21-07-2020, 04:23 PM   #18
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately at my age, its too hard to change a lifetime of love & hate.
I tolerate my daughter's Equinox, because its not mine, I didn't buy it for me, and I didn't buy it for love.
But I just can't bring myself to own a Commode.
Same with the German marques.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #19
vixf6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Id prefer a VF series V8 if I were to head down the Holden path.

But there are some decent value Audi's on the market at the moment.
Went down the vf v8 path as the fgx just isn’t the prettiest thing, these things are decent bang for buck I must say. Redline was bit of a slug but this lsa thing is dare I say it is much quicker than the f6. Decent running gear s/c 400kw for a touch over 60, v8 note sounds amazing after you pull the fuse on that dual mode exhaust.
Not happy going to the red but the product is quite reasonable, bang for buck is there.
2016 R8 Clubsport Lsa sold for beer money
F6 sold AND SAD ABOUT IT
vixf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2020, 10:50 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixf6 View Post
Went down the vf v8 path as the fgx just isn’t the prettiest thing, these things are decent bang for buck I must say. Redline was bit of a slug but this lsa thing is dare I say it is much quicker than the f6. Decent running gear s/c 400kw for a touch over 60, v8 note sounds amazing after you pull the fuse on that dual mode exhaust.
Not happy going to the red but the product is quite reasonable, bang for buck is there.
Thanks for sharing that info. Good to hear some first hand experience.
Old 22-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #21
Swordie

Some other suggestions:
  • G6ET FG/FGII
  • XR8 FG
  • XR6 FG/FGII
  • Hyundai Genesis
  • Fiesta ST
  • BA - FG FPV - 8 or 6T.

The Fords (XR8, G6ET and X6T) are going up in value.

The Genesis has nearly the pace of the XR8 with allot of luxury.

The Fiesta was a highly rated car when it was released a few years ago.

FPVs must be getting harder to find. There are still some BA GTs that can be found mid 20's.

Last edited by Swordie; 22-07-2020 at 03:13 PM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post