Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Supercharged

Default Ford decision makers have me wondering at times

Ford decision makers have me wondering at times.
I was talking to the new car sales manager at the local dealership a couple of years ago and asked why the Focus was set out in European layout with the indicators on the left side, he said that Ford had told him it would cost $15 million to develop a stalk with the indicator on the right. He also said he could sell heaps of them to the traveling Nurses to name just a few but they have other vehicle types in their fleet and they want them to be the same layout. He also said half the people interested were put off straight away even though he assured them it would take just a couple of days to get used to it.
My wife was interested in one but as soon as I said the indicator was on the left that was the end of that. My mother has just purchased a new car and asked me about the Focus, I said it was a great car but knew as soon as I said the indicator is on the left it would be off the shopping list straight away which it was.
I was reading an article recently by a motor writer and he said it was a great car and couldn’t understand why it didn’t sell better than it does, well I know one reason.

Old 14-04-2011, 11:47 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Ford decision makers have me wondering at times

Yes indicator stalks on the left in a RHD car is retarded.

Holden pulled this little stunt back when they released the VR Commodore. Their thinking was that with the indicator stalk on the left, it would make people think they are driving a european car. Obviously consumers didn't see it their way and the "initiative" was quietly reverted to the conventional RHD layout. In fact, there would have to be so few VR's made like that they must have canned it early on because no one remembers it these days.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 14-04-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
draxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the main reason why I never bought a Ford Focus when we were looking for a new car a few years back. After a few weeks reasearching, test driving etc, it came down to a Focus, current shape Lancer or a Mazda 3.

We ended up with the Lancer, mainly due to the 5 year warranty, with the Focus being struck off the list because of the indicator stalk - reminded me too much of the Astra I used to have to drive for work

Ultimately, we only kept the Lancer for a year, before I was sick of driving inside a tin can down the Calder Hwy - sold it then bought the XR6 in my avatar!!
Old 15-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
Supercharged

I don’t have a problem with it but it is their money and their decision what they buy it is up to the individual and as older people dis-like change more than others. I have not seen an option along this line but it may not be a bad idea.
Old 15-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Own one and tell me its a bad idea. I guess its a personal choice, but if you drive a manual it means you can keep one hand wheel at all times and the other hand to change gear and indicate (and 'signal' other drivers in Sydney). Even though my previous car was a Falcon, I got used to it straight away. Have driven other cars briefly since with the right hand indicator but had no issues adjusting. Seriously, you'll wonder what all the is about after you spend less than 2 days adjusting to it.

And I'm pretty certain the VW Golf have a left hand indicator and they seem to sell ok...
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Old 15-04-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Own one and tell me its a bad idea. I guess its a personal choice, but if you drive a manual it means you can keep one hand wheel at all times and the other hand to change gear and indicate (and 'signal' other drivers in Sydney).
Never found using an indicator and steering that difficult in a manual Falcon. Can hit that stalk with one finger.

I would assume that the indicator stalk is on the left side on a LHD car?

BTW, didn't have an issue changing from stalks on either side.
Old 15-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Never found using an indicator and steering that difficult in a manual Falcon. Can hit that stalk with one finger.

I would assume that the indicator stalk is on the left side on a LHD car?

BTW, didn't have an issue changing from stalks on either side.
I didn't realise I said I found it difficult, funny that. I DID say one hand is always on the wheel at all times, I figured most people would be smart enough to realise I was talking about safety. Oh well.

Not sure about LHD cars, I would say it would depend on where the car is sold. A US LHD-only car would probably have a LH indicator, but this would be different for a car sold in LHD & RHD markets.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

Old 15-04-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I didn't realise I said I found it difficult, funny that. I DID say one hand is always on the wheel at all times, I figured most people would be smart enough to realise I was talking about safety. Oh well.
That's what I mean. I can turn the indicator on with my hand on the wheel.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yes indicator stalks on the left in a RHD car is retarded.

Holden pulled this little stunt back when they released the VR Commodore. Their thinking was that with the indicator stalk on the left, it would make people think they are driving a european car. Obviously consumers didn't see it their way and the "initiative" was quietly reverted to the conventional RHD layout. In fact, there would have to be so few VR's made like that they must have canned it early on because no one remembers it these days.
I don't know where you dreamed that up but the commodore has never had a lhs indicator stalk. I owned an aug93 vr many years ago which was one of the earliest, so i should know.
Old 15-04-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Drove a mate's Mondeo last Sunday. Nearly went for the wipers instead of the indicators but caught myself straight away. Would much rather them on the right, but it'd not be a deal breaker for me.

I concede it'd be a pain when you've got a manual, but no issue at all if you have an auto.

As for safety issues, if it were so, wouldn't there be an ADR requirement?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 15-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I don't know where you dreamed that up but the commodore has never had a lhs indicator stalk. I owned an aug93 vr many years ago which was one of the earliest, so i should know.
I didn't dream it up, I read it in motoring reports when it was released. They probably changed it by the time cars were released for public sale.

I seem to recall it in one of the motoring mags at the time and the writer went on with a big speel about the psychology behind making it like that to make people think they were in a european car. As I said, it must have been removed very early on because there is no trace of it to be found now.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Last edited by Road_Warrior; 15-04-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 15-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
If you base your car buying decision on what side the indicator stalk is on your a moron

If you cant adapt to driving with the indicator being on the opposite side to what your used to your also a moron and probably shouldn't be on the road at all.

I dont have an issue when interchanging between my two cars, and on the odd occasion I do go for the the wrong stalk well I clean the windscreen instead, big deal.
I find that comment highly offensive, there are some of us actually have problems adapting to change I personally have a huge problem changing things that are learned but more or less automatic tasks (I've been told this could be related to my dyslexia). This in no way impacts on my ability to drive a car designed to suit the Australian norm but put me in a car with the blinkers on the wrong side and I put the wipers on 9 times out of 10 so I guess I am a moron by your narrow minded definition as I would use this in deciding on a car.
Maybe people like you with bigoted discriminatory views shouldn't be posting on forums if you are incapable of thinking before you post (unless of course you have some kind of condition that causes this behaviour)

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 15-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I find that comment highly offensive, there are some of us actually have problems adapting to change I personally have a huge problem changing things that are learned but more or less automatic tasks (I've been told this could be related to my dyslexia). This in no way impacts on my ability to drive a car designed to suit the Australian norm but put me in a car with the blinkers on the wrong side and I put the wipers on 9 times out of 10 so I guess I am a moron by your narrow minded definition as I would use this in deciding on a car.
Maybe people like you with bigoted discriminatory views shouldn't be posting on forums if you are incapable of thinking before you post (unless of course you have some kind of condition that causes this behaviour)
Dont get your knickers in a knot, lifes too short

Maybe manufacturers should offer a conversion course for those that cant cope with their indicator stalk on the wrong side.
Old 15-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #14
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
I didn't dream it up, I read it in motoring reports when it was released. They probably changed it by the time cars were released for public sale.

I seem to recall it in one of the motoring mags at the time and the writer went on with a big speel about the psychology behind making it like that to make people think they were in a european car. As I said, it must have been removed very early on because there is no trace of it to be found now.
Fair enough and no offence intended. I have some old magazines from that era lying around somewhere, I might dust them off and see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG Turbo Ute
he said that Ford had told him it would cost $15 million to develop a stalk with the indicator on the right.
$15m to redesign a couple of pieces of plastic? How on earth can that be justified? No wonder the automotive industry is buggered.
Old 15-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #15
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Fair enough and no offence intended. I have some old magazines from that era lying around somewhere, I might dust them off and see what I can find.
Mate to be honest, I can't really remember if it was in a magazine or a newspaper article. All I remember (it was 18 years ago!!) is the subject matter and a couple of phrases from it that stuck in my mind. I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have been one of those "scoop" insider type articles where some journo dude got a drive of a VR when perhaps he shouldn't have...!

Old 14-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you choose one car over another on the basis of the indicator stalk, you werent really interested in the other car. look at the sales of european cars in recent years - growth, while aus-built plummets. clearly, indicator stalks are a minor issue.
Old 14-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #17
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive euro and aussie car and indicators being on the opposite side is not an issue.
Old 15-04-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
if you choose one car over another on the basis of the indicator stalk, you werent really interested in the other car. look at the sales of european cars in recent years - growth, while aus-built plummets. clearly, indicator stalks are a minor issue.
I'm with you on that one - to choose (or not choose) a car because of an indicator stalk...that's pretty petty.

The car is tops - Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo. They all drive like dreams...and better than any other car I've driven. The Daewoo in 2000 had a left hand indicator stalk. It is a minor issue, if the engine didn't run properly, then be concerned - but they are surprisingly easy to get used to.

I think you're going to have problems in the future, particularly when everything goes to the euro platform. What are you going to do? Walk?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 15-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #19
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Silly reason not to buy a car. Only takes a couple of minutes to get used to it, then you don't even think about it.
Old 15-04-2011, 05:38 AM   #20
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Silly reason not to buy a car. Only takes a couple of minutes to get used to it, then you don't even think about it.
Coldn't agree more , bloody stupid reason not to buy a car .
Old 14-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Um I reckon the amount of cars in Oz that have indicators on the "wrong side" heavily outweighs the ones on the "right". I reckon thats $15M well saved.

This is really not an issue when it comes to decision making, have a read of the latest Ford announcement, they are issues.

Never knew the VR did that..LOL..that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 15-04-2011, 12:12 AM   #22
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

really? it's that much of a problem to you? You really think Ford should spend stupid amounts of money to satisfy two people? I'm really glad some people here do not work in strategic planning roles in major organisations such as Ford.

I've got the indicator on the "wrong side" the car is a manual and I don't have a problem with it.
To be honest most of the buying public don't care either judging by the amount of cars out there with this setup.

If that's a deal breaker for you then you're better off not buying it.
Old 15-04-2011, 01:02 AM   #23
OttoXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
really? it's that much of a problem to you? You really think Ford should spend stupid amounts of money to satisfy two people? I'm really glad some people here do not work in strategic planning roles in major organisations such as Ford.

I've got the indicator on the "wrong side" the car is a manual and I don't have a problem with it.
To be honest most of the buying public don't care either judging by the amount of cars out there with this setup.

Couldn't agree more.

Didnt purchase a Focus because of minor issue is just a lame excuse, why don't you tell us the real reason behind this?
Old 15-04-2011, 01:07 AM   #24
draxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To be honest, for me it was an annoyance, putting my wipers on every time I go around the corner! I guess I take longer to adjust than others.

It's funny how this thread has become so animated, over something so small.
Old 15-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #25
stang65
FPRJET

I had an escort and a cortina, no big deal as said people like euro cars and then whinge go figure.
Old 15-04-2011, 04:49 AM   #26
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched

You are missing the point. It is the government fleet and in particular the Nurses that are not ordering them because of it. The reason told to me was that they didn’t want to get out of a Corolla one day and into a left indicator Focus the next but wanted them all the same.
It was the sales manager that was complaining of missed sales as a result of it that I was indicating, he had the cost figure so must have asked the question of Ford himself. Most of the popular small vehicles are right indicator such as the Corolla, what is the setup on a Holden Cruze.
Don’t bash me over it, I support Ford and wanted the wife to get rid of her Subaru for the Focus, I have purchased 4 new Falcons and 2 new Rangers in the last 5 years and just ordered a FPV GS Ute.
Old 15-04-2011, 12:23 AM   #27
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a well known fact that a womans brain is 20% smaller than a mans... little things like this would confuse the hell out of them....
Old 15-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #28
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally hate indicators on the wrong side and it would be a big point in the decision making process

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 15-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #29
Brodes
Brodes

Indicator on the left hand side is great for us left one handed drivers......Would save me the conversion cost.

But yeh, if you aint gunna buy a car purely for which side the indicator stalk is on, then I guess you should be questioning your own car purchasing decision making skills.
Old 15-04-2011, 06:42 AM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If putting the indicator stalk on the correct side of the steering wheel is a trivial matter,
then why do a lot of the more popular manufacturers bother doing it for Australia?

In Automatic and DSG transmissions, having the indicator on the left is no disadvantage
but in manual gearboxes, you have to remember to indicate before downshifting....

And that's about it. Funny thing is that the fairer sex has a huge problem with using
their left hand more often...
Closed Thread