Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 10:53 PM   #2791
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

-----
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #2792
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
On a completely different issue.

Has anyone else noticed that their car doesn't get as dirty from fall out ect, after you wash it since the Covid Lockdowns? It stays cleaner longer.
Yeah coz now I'm looking for a reason to get in and drive it

(been going into office last 2 days, enjoying the drive and even the traffic jam due to stupid people running into each other)
This user likes this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #2793
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Take into consideration that there is still a decent chunk of people strictly getting their news from:

Channel 7/9/10/SBS/ABC
Sun/age/Australian
CNN/BBC/CBS/MSNBC etc.

Apart from a few exceptions I haven't read/watched those outlets in about 4 years.

When all is said and done, they will be the ones screaming conspiracy theory, witch hunt, fake news to get a political rival out of the race.

These people are so far behind in the race they actually think they're in the lead.
NO,

the ones screaming “conspiracy theory’s” will be the “nut jobs“ that have nothing to do with, or who don’t watch or subscribe to those channels or publications.

The “nutters” are not the mainstream people, the intelligent, educated people, that are the core of our community, including health care, engineering, defence, and the workers that keep our great country going.

They are the people that sit around trying to find reasons why the world is against the little world or their own.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:29 PM   #2794
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
NO,

the ones screaming “conspiracy theory’s” will be the “nut jobs“ that have nothing to do with, or who don’t watch or subscribe to those channels or publications.

The “nutters” are not the mainstream people, the intelligent, educated people, that are the core of our community, including health care, engineering, defence, and the workers that keep our great country going.

They are the people that sit around trying to find reasons why the world is against the little world or their own.
Instead of opening up a new front with complete drivel, how about trying to answer my Q?

I need an owners manual for the above post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 11:33 PM   #2795
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
So you got nothing, carry on

Having a beer but could of sworn you bought Trump into this
Like I said,

I look and laugh at dumb people that are attached to their political views.

If you have those, good luck, have another beer (or 12).

If not, and you have bipartisan views that’ll help our country recover in this crisis, then all the better.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:36 PM   #2796
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I look and laugh at dumb people that are attached to their political views.
It was you, not I that claimed that Trump was incompetent and I merely asked if .....in your opinion you might concede that he was ahead of the curve in his concern for China.

Pretty simple Q really
4 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 11:56 PM   #2797
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It was you, not I that claimed that Trump was incompetent and I merely asked if .....in your opinion you might concede that he was ahead of the curve in his concern for China.

Pretty simple Q really
Zipping, with all due respects mate, I have no positive opinions on Trump.

I think our system is much more robust.

I do have concerns about China, but I have a feeling our government knew about it first.

That’s why OUR government banned Chinese in coming travelers on the 1st of February this year 👍
Old 07-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #2798
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Zipping, with all due respects mate, I have no positive opinions on Trump.

I think our system is much more robust.

I do have concerns about China, but I have a feeling our government knew about it first.

That’s why OUR government banned Chinese in coming travelers on the 1st of February this year 👍
Well read more because Trump banned travel from China into the US before we did. We followed his lead and I suspect back channel phone calls were made before we also followed their lead.

See, something positive from Trump
Old 07-05-2020, 12:59 AM   #2799
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lean right from a socio-economical perspective.
I am fairly apolitical.
I live in USA

It appears to me that Trump has actually done as good a job as any polly can do.
No Better, no worse than most.
However he cannot get any good press in USA, the majority of the media is against him.
To get a balanced perspective I only consume extreme media, equal proportions from both sides.
I really do caution anyone when they read about USA corona effort.
The Press is biased to either/both extreme.
Hospitals in left and right states get extra funding for Covid Patients.
States, both left and right have shut down, and are considering opening.
USA is (arguably) the biggest country with reasonable figures, so we cannot compare it to, say, China, India, Russia ...
Also comparisons need to take into account the weather and the population density.

I suppose my conclusion is ... don't get to attached to any opinion. Nothing that you are hearing is 100% reliable.
Rather, enjoy hearing both sides of the discussion, even the conspiracy theorists bring value to the discussion.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:00 AM   #2800
PhilT2

Quote:
Well read more because Trump banned travel from China into the US before we did. See, something positive from Trump
The problem was that the virus had already spread to Europe and infection spread from there to the US beginning in January. Trump didn't stop those flights till March.
https://nationalpost.com/news/covid-...ay-researchers
Old 07-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #2801
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I picked the winner!
https://youtu.be/Fn8MxJx_erk
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 07-05-2020, 03:22 AM   #2802
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
It appears to me that Trump has actually done as good a job as any polly can do.
No Better, no worse than most.
However he cannot get any good press in USA, the majority of the media is against him.

I suppose my conclusion is ... don't get to attached to any opinion. Nothing that you are hearing is 100% reliable.
Rather, enjoy hearing both sides of the discussion, even the conspiracy theorists bring value to the discussion.
I'll admit to an anti Irump bias, but, like the media, I feel it's justified to a large degree. I can't think of a world leader who has said so many dumb things. Like "windmills cause cancer" and "nobody knew healthcare was so complicated" Then there's the nukes to stop hurricanes and looking for Obama's birth certificate.
But, for me, the worst is "vaccines cause autism". This has given support and encouragement to thousands of nutters and has caused real harm. I know one family whose child died because those around her wouldn't vaccinate. Check out the link to see what these people are like.
https://www.northernstar.com.au/news...attac/1882406/

Because I have a daughter with autism I have followed the activities of anti vax groups for nearly thirty years. I've seen them rip off families with fake cures that actually harm kids. Bleach enema anyone? So no, I won't listen to both sides of that discussion nor will I respect a president that supports them.

To be fair we should judge Trump on his policy achievements. From memory his main policies were to repeal and replace Obamacare (didn't happen) balance the budget and pay back the national debt. (not done and now impossible) do something about illegal voters (no real progress there and no real proof it's a problem) build a wall (not much progress there) Then there's no real improvement with North Korea and Iran both have or soon will have nuclear weapons and long range missiles. And Hillary was going to be locked up. well nobody really believed that anyway.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 07:11 AM   #2803
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I agree with your sentiments, but your last paragraph has all (nearly) to do with Nancy and her Congressional warriors blocking anything to do with Trump ideas etc. Block this, block that.
Sadly US politics has become, and is nothing more than a ****storm.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #2804
burnz
VFII SS UTE

so scomo want's us to D/L an app for our phone, voluntary..

but won't end lock down until we do install the app.. Hmm
Old 07-05-2020, 08:37 AM   #2805
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
I agree with your sentiments, but your last paragraph has all (nearly) to do with Nancy and her Congressional warriors blocking anything to do with Trump ideas etc. Block this, block that.
Sadly US politics has become, and is nothing more than a ****storm.
Nancy didn't take control of the house until 2018, Trump had control of both houses for two years but couldn't even get his own party to back his ideas.
Old 07-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #2806
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Whatever you think of Mr Trump he has a talent for attracting attention to himself and getting people to talk about him.

Case in point the last few pages of this thread.....

Last edited by Work Horse; 07-05-2020 at 09:12 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #2807
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Well read more because Trump banned travel from China into the US before we did. We followed his lead and I suspect back channel phone calls were made before we also followed their lead.

See, something positive from Trump
The US banned Chinese travellers on Feb the 1st.

Who’s leading who ?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #2808
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9501291.html

Old 07-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #2809
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
The US banned Chinese travellers on Feb the 1st.

Who’s leading who ?
Yes, yes you are correct, several countries placed travel restrictions on China before the USA.

Mr Trump claimed he was the first.

So you get dragged into an arguement about what Mr Trump said.

So Mr Trump is winning, you are still talking about him...

Last edited by Work Horse; 07-05-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #2810
superyob
Banned

'The Australian has a headline today that reads, Suicide epidemic outstrips virus. It’s behind a paywall though so don’t bother with it. The point is that countries have not been devastated by the virus; they have been devastated by panicking governments’ reactions to the virus.'

https://www.xyz.net.au/take-your-dem...-and-shove-it/
Old 07-05-2020, 10:27 AM   #2811
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Australia had 26 new cases (mostly Victoria) and 1 death so the CMR is up to 1.411% but active cases down to 11.5%.

NZ had 2 new cases and 1 death so the CMR rises to the same 1.411% as Australia while active cases are now up slightly to 13.5%.

The UK had a bad day with 6k new cases but the slightly lower mortality numbers dropped the CMR to 14.956% and active cases decreased to 78.5%.

The USA was just under 25k new cases and over 2k deaths so the CMR is up to 5.898% and active cases down to 74.1%.

The charts today are the new cases per 100k of population numbers for selected countries.

Despite having made some gains, the UK, Spain, Turkey, Germany, Iran and France are trending upward quite sharply while Australia and the USA are trending upward but at a slower rate.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #2812
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

Despite having made some gains, the UK, Spain, Turkey, Germany, Iran and France are trending upward quite sharply while Australia and the USA are trending upward but at a slower rate.
Are these countries experiencing the 'second bounce' I have read about in some articles???
Old 07-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #2813
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Pretty scary how we have become desensitized to the death rate of this.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-05-2020, 11:49 AM   #2814
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Pretty scary how we have become desensitized to the death rate of this.
One thing I have learnt from all this is the massive amount of people who die of other causes every year.

It's really disgusting how the world has shut down over this, devastated the economy, media just frothin at the mouth over it like a pack of wild dogs. But where was the concern for the huge amounts of people dying every year from malnourishment world wide??. Out of sight out of mind
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
6 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #2815
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Are these countries experiencing the 'second bounce' I have read about in some articles???
It's certainly possible. Other notable points.

Spain passes the 1/4 million cases number with a CMR over 10%. They also have one of the highest infection rates at 657/100k as well as one of the highest mortality rates at 66.99/100k.
The USA drops below a third of the global cases at 32.98%.
The UK passes 200k cases.
Russia had a fourth consecutive day with more than 10k new cases.
Brazil also had more than 10k new cases yesterday and is not trending very well.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 07-05-2020 at 12:09 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:19 PM   #2816
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
One thing I have learnt from all this is the massive amount of people who die of other causes every year.

It's really disgusting how the world has shut down over this, devastated the economy, media just frothin at the mouth over it like a pack of wild dogs. But where was the concern for the huge amounts of people dying every year from malnourishment world wide??. Out of sight out of mind
Yes, and how we can pluck cash from no where to bandaid issue that should have more attention, the homeless for example.

Cant fix everything at once I guess.

With the NSW Aged Home and the VIC meat works you can see how quick ti spreads, Im comfortable with what we have done so far.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-05-2020, 12:22 PM   #2817
prydey
Rob

Quote:

I understand what you are saying but malnourished isn't an infectious disease.

With no interference by the governments around the world, the infection rate of this disease was huge. Even in Australia it was doubling every 3 days. If that goes unchecked it doesn't take long to end up with massive numbers.

People talk about the number of deaths as though they don't really matter if you keep them to a reasonable number but they are all humans. What if you were one who was among the dying? Would you have a different outlook?

Large amounts of people die from influenza each year but how many of those don't take advantage of the available vaccines each year?

When a new virus hits the globe govt has no choice but to react.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #2818
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Trolling is easy to determine for mine. Example:

Fact - "Standing in front of cars will kill you"
Just wondering are you a politician? It's "FACTS" like that that give conspiracy theorists an opening. I can and do sometimes stand in front of cars for hours at a time and none of them have killed me yet. Personally I like to question things and not blindly follow the masses.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #2819
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon flu vaccination rates would skyrocket if they didn't involve using needles.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:27 PM   #2820
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

It's really disgusting how the world has shut down over this, devastated the economy, media just frothing at the mouth over it like a pack of wild dogs. But where was the concern for the huge amounts of people dying every year from undernourishment world wide??. Out of sight out of mind
Agreed. Hoards dying from starvation, civil strife and environmental extremes are things that happen to "little, brown people" in far away countries. Easily deselected from our media and consciousness.

But when something like this lobs into our shiny, I'm-all-right-Jack, first world then it's a catastrophe.

I hope that the world becomes a kinder, more compassionate place on the other side.
Closed Thread