Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2006, 12:59 AM   #1
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

Default what has tempted you to stray from the Blue Oval

Hi All,

I want to start by saying that I consider myself to be Blue Oval to the core. I have only ever owned Fords, and probably will only ever own Fords, but.....

A mate of mine dropped by tonight in one mean a$$ Commo, and I am talking TUFF!! Now this thing is loud, proud and overall not something to mess with, and to be completely honest, has been to only Holden that has made me think, "I'd own that!" Now I am not going to suddenly sell my beloved XR8 ute to buy a Commo, but jeez mate, if it was this car I saw tonight that was for sale, the decision to walk away would certainly be a difficult one.

My post is to find out if anything has come along that has tempted you to consider owning a Holden (or anything else for that matter) as opposed to owning a Ford? I don't want anyone to leave out anything, 4s, 6s, Rotaries anything.

I do have faith that if I was tempted so much by this type of muscle car, that I would hold off and try and find a Ford equivalent, so that my brand loyalty and personal preference was met. I believe that all fast cars, or perfomance vehicles should be appreciated and respected if they meet the expectations of what a performance car should be, but to be honest I never thought I could be so tempted by something from the dark side.

Cheers all,
Envi.

Envi XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:08 AM   #2
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

A Min Min light!
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:10 AM   #3
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Been a Ford man all my life. Have owned 3 so far.

That said, my next car will be a Subaru. Their quality and performance, coupled with relatively cheap price appeals to me.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
fullysick1
more of an alternator

Default cars

id have to say a few r100, rx2 or a9x or slr5000 or ht hg gts monaro all a bit rare now a days :eclipsee_
fullysick1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 02:15 AM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

Golf GTi/Audi S3! I'm contemplating one for my next car and have been for a while... But I'd easily be behind the wheel of a BMW M3/5 given the chance. At one point I was considering a Subaru WRX - I know, shame on me! But I don't think I could be easily swayed into one anymore.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 02:23 AM   #6
kooky
WRX terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked

That said, my next car will be a Subaru. Their quality and performance, coupled with relatively cheap price appeals to me.
That's what I did, if I were to go back to a family sized car it would be 6T/F6 variety, I love the turbo rush :hihi:
Old 26-09-2006, 02:25 AM   #7
plext
Forum Director

This.

Other than that, it's been all Fords.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 02:50 AM   #8
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

first car was a holden, a camira in fact. Next car was a toyota corona 2.4i. Ever since then i've owned Fords, ever since i could afford one really. Owned 5. EL, BA, BF, EL, EB. Dad's owned Fords ever since i've been alive, they're just good cars.

Everyone's been tempted at some point to buy something else. It's not as though it's a lock in contract when you're born, where you have to tick 'Ford' or 'Other' in car preference :P But i guess some enthusiasts would disagree. I'll probably only ever own Fords, but the following cars have tempted me in the past:

Jaguar XJS V12 <-- drooled over them since i was a kid, still do.

boxy Late 80's & early 90's BMW 318's

Verada's from 96ish onwards (yes ha ha everyone have a go)

VYII Calais - Black, 5.7litre, 18's. (couldn't find a pic in black)

VH 4.2 & 5.0 SL/E

VL Calais 5.0

Big luxo Lexus'

Triumph Stag 3.0 V8 <-- dad was offered one as a bonus if he bought some clapped out EB GLi back in 1996, but didn't end up buying the EB. I was so angry!

MGB GT

There are plenty of others, but they're the main ones that i still see on the road and smile.

By the way, all cars shown here are from carsales, and are all for sale, so go check em out if you're interested
Old 26-09-2006, 02:57 AM   #9
slloyd

An Alfa Sud when I was 17. A mate owned one and I loved the sound its boxer engine put out, and it was a really nippy little thing that was a blast to drive.

Turning the windscreen wipers on instead of the indicator was quite annoying, though.
slloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

I recently bought a new Kia Sorrento - why? Well, I made a list of all my requirements and it came in at by far the best price. Have had it for 6 months now (8500k's) and it has not missed a beat and I have absolutely no complaints.

Still own quite a few old Fords though!!!
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 04:28 AM   #11
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

sl65 v12 from the factory 450kW of power and 1000Nm
that'd convert me away anyday, but at $460k i don't think i'll ever be driving one
saw a nice black one in surfers when i was up there in march though :smdrool_
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked

Yep I sold the TX5 for the WRX! Won't be buying Ford or Holden too soon either as the amount of people complaining about owning them with the problems they have had, is a bit of a put off. Not to mention they are too big for me. I don't need a big car.

Next car might be an STi or Liberty GT. Whatever it is I prefer it to have a turbo!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 09:12 AM   #13
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

I know its owned by Ford... but technically it isn't a Ford...

An Aston Martin V8 Vantage.... THE most beautiful car... ever

Other than that, my loyalties lie within the Ford camp...

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #14
TATT2
100% aussie hillbilly

Liberty GT.....
TATT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

plext one of my mate's family had that exact model M5. They are f'n sweet! Their's was grey though, but black looks better. Even got to use the car phone lol!
Old 26-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #16
Twisted
Contributing Member

I'd own any number of Euro cars, I also really like the concept pics of the upcoming Commodore ute, based on the VE body. Im keen to see why Orion will look like to compare.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #17
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fuel economy of the 2.0L Turbo Diesel Peugeot swayed me.
I still have the EL and a half share in the XE and would probably get another Falcon on LPG when the EL does finally kick the bucket (in quite a few years hopefully)
Old 26-09-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
Sapper
Back to the AU

There was an MY04 STi in blue with dark grey WORK rims, front splitter, tiny bue side skirts and a small lip on the rear bumper that would tempt me...if I had the money. Only the new Typhoon looks as purposeful.
Old 26-09-2006, 09:50 AM   #19
BLKFPV
true blue from "The BOG"

camaro ss late 60's

no pic ... too tempting

".... where having a FORD is all that matters"

not a 10sec car but a 2008 Bathurst 12 hour Race Car

(03) 9720 4448
to email click here
www.thebog.com.au

11/176 Canterbury Road BAYSWATER
BLKFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 09:53 AM   #20
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

This

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 09:55 AM   #21
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

I'm swayed by package, if it's a good package for a good price, I don't really care about what badge it has
Old 26-09-2006, 09:59 AM   #22
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Size of garage for second car and I don't like front wheel drive.. So its WRX.. The Liberty G.T looks nice, but again size maybe too long...
Ford NEEDS a mid sized car asap in engine size from 3 Ltr V6 that runs on alternative fuels, a GOOD turbo diesel where fuel consumption / economy...
AWD .....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:00 AM   #23
old_mate
Smash the Boost

as above. 308 powered LJ torana would sway me, VK group A, in fact pretty much anything tough/well packaged (like a MY05 Liberty, any WRX, Mazda 3 etc etc)

never a VN/VP/VR/VS/VT/VX commodore. Hate the things. Funnily enough i wouldnt kick a VY SS ute though

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #24
macca_779
Turbine Power

I recently bought a VT2 Senator, Why. Because for the money (24k) there is no Ford that can give me that kind of value for money. I looked at BA XR8's but they are not as quick, drink more juice, and dont have anywhere near the amount of equipment as my Senator. Everything else in the FPV range is way to expensive. And once again not as quick. For $500 in a MAFLESS Tune I'll be getting around 340kw. Now thats BFYB and still returning under 11L/100 AVG.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:02 AM   #25
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Yeah Im the same Ford through and through. I nearly didn't get the EL after having two EA's; that just about broke my back.

I nearly brought a 1989 525i, manual, leather sunroof all the rest, black with M5 rims; but someone else put a deposit down. Then when I was driving back with the EL the guy called me and said the other person had backed out, and he offered me the car for $1000 less than before. PIS$ED OFF! But the EL isn't bad.

Also nearly brought a Peugeot 405 Mi16. But Ive heard repairs can be costly, and its FWD.

Later down the track id kill for a 2002 M3, just the sound is enough to win me over. But again, maintence costs on hot euros are a bit of a worry.

Which is probably why ill end up driving a FPV of some kind one day.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:05 AM   #26
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate
as above. 308 powered LJ torana would sway me, VK group A, in fact pretty much anything tough/well packaged (like a MY05 Liberty, any WRX, Mazda 3 etc etc)

never a VN/VP/VR/VS/VT/VX commodore. Hate the things. Funnily enough i wouldnt kick a VY SS ute though
thats not a 308 dude. Thats a 479cid injected chev. Ive been considering a big block in a US car project for a bit, but its a highly expensive excercise.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:32 AM   #27
old_mate
Smash the Boost

I realise that. Its a Keith Black Engine, and its in a LH/LX not LJ

Mate of mine used to have a LC with cammed 308, turbo 350 (4grand converter)and 9in. Went really well. We ran it on 15in rims and 185 tyres for that sleeper look lol. Converter was waaaay to big, but it was a scary/fun thing to drive

ran 12.1 with decent tyres. Wheel spun to 3/4 track on the street tyres

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 10:47 AM   #28
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kooky
That's what I did, if I were to go back to a family sized car it would be 6T/F6 variety, I love the turbo rush :hihi:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Yep I sold the TX5 for the WRX! Won't be buying Ford or Holden too soon either as the amount of people complaining about owning them with the problems they have had, is a bit of a put off. Not to mention they are too big for me. I don't need a big car.

Next car might be an STi or Liberty GT. Whatever it is I prefer it to have a turbo!
Its funny how many people agree. I was orginally after a WRX when I was young because of the wow factor, and having driven one the are a blast, literally.

But Im more into the Liberty GT or Spec B's now. Have much more room and comfort and if you put the boot into them, they will haul.
Quote:
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Old 26-09-2006, 10:48 AM   #29
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Oh, I do prefer the look of the GT, the hole in the bonnet for the intercooler screams performance.
Quote:
Old 26-09-2006, 10:55 AM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate the MY07 GT spec B is a treat. Someone on the WRX forums has one and it looks awesome. Neons in the cupholders. Mmm factory rice.