Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 20-06-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Nostalgia Drags WSID 19 June 2005

For something different, Bishop and I journeyed up to Sydney for the Nostalgia Drags. I missed the Vic ones and was told that it was a fantastic day so after a few hurried preparations, away we went.
We were woken at about 5.40am as the friend's place we were staying at was an entrant and had to be there early blah blah. After hitting the sack at midnight I wasn't too enthusiastic.
Anyway, it rained during the night and was spitting down for about 90% of the journey there. When we got there the whole area was wet and I figured it would be cancelled.
Wrong
The track was dried and off they went. There times ranged from 18s to 6s .. and obviously everything in between.
There weren't that many Fords out there but really it didn't matter, the general quality and diversity of the cars was astounding. All the cars were pre 75 ( or replicas of ) and ranged from every day cars to alcohol funny cars and a 1996 build of a 1969 Alcohol dragster.
I saw the engine if this dragster in bits not long back and the whole car was still being redone. It was built in 96 but had never been on a racetrack. It was a nervous time as it headed out on it's maiden run. The first two runs were just exploratory and there obviously wasn't much clutch in it. Th third and last run was a bit more serious as they had figured out the car ran straight and they got an 8.4 After all the work the guys did it must have been satisfying. Well done to Cliff from Rockape Engineering!!
The highlight had to be the doorslammer running in the very low 8s to the 6s

I fulfilled a lifelong ambition and saw the Gatt coupe, Gonzo2 in action. They set a PB of 7.19 from a 351 cleveland

It was a HUGE meet and if it's anything like the other cities then Nostalgia drags are going to be a big business. I fully intend on heading up to Willowbank when they get there!

I took too many pics to put in a post so have a peek in the directory below.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/xa/nostalgia/
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post