Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Pedestrians in Car Parks

This morning while pushing the supermarket trolley back to the car, I was waiting for a queue of cars to pass, that were turning into the carpark laneway I wanted to cross.

There was no pedestrian crossing.

This woman came up from behind with a couple of children in tow and another woman, and said "these drivers are supposed to give way to pedestrians, even if the they whinge about it." Then she crossed in front of these cars.

I almost said to the woman that there is no pedestrian crossing here, but I didn't. Maybe I should have.

This seems to be the mentality these days that drivers always seem to be in the wrong if they hit pedestrians on roads and in carparks (except at pedestrian crossings of course where they obviously are in the wrong).

These days pedestrians always seem to walk behind the car when I'm parking or reversing in or out of a car space. I was brought up to always wait for cars to pass. But its the opposite these days.

Maybe its the media causing this, as whenever they report on a pedestrian being run over, the driver is almost always perceived to be in the wrong. Probably the 40 kph limit zones these days in shopping precincts also make the situation unclear. But I think this is another example where the world has gone mad.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 
Default Re: Pedestrians in Car Parks

It is my understanding (here n SA at least) that carparks are considered "share zones" for car & foot traffic... and that cars are meant to give way to pedestrians at all times.

now... no-one should ever just blindly walk out in front of a moving vehicle.. no matter what the rules say... it's just self preservation really... but if the two should ever collide (heaven forbid).. . then it's not the car that gets hurt... hence the onus is on the driver to give way.

Not sure what the "rule" is in other States.

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

It is no good being dead right.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think a lot of is that it's just that time of year in the leadup to Christmas, everyone seems to be in a hurry. I steer clear of the shops if I can. All the overweight soccer mums with brats in tow are out and about at the moment.
Old 21-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

It's nice here in Alice - we have 2 (two) marked zebra pedestrian crossings in the whole town. I can actually only think of one at the moment, but I know I've seen another somewhere.

Either way, there is certainly no confusion here - cars have right of way, and if you (as a pedestrian) want to cross then wait for a gap. That goes for the whole CBD area (which is full of pedestrians and roundabouts) and the various suburbs. The only change is for school crossings where a lollipop man or lady with come out with a sign to stop you during school start and finish.

It's a good system - traffic flows well!
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was under the impression that cars need to give way to pedestrians in a car park.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #7
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
It's nice here in Alice - we have 2 (two) marked zebra pedestrian crossings in the whole town. I can actually only think of one at the moment, but I know I've seen another somewhere.

Either way, there is certainly no confusion here - cars have right of way, and if you (as a pedestrian) want to cross then wait for a gap. That goes for the whole CBD area (which is full of pedestrians and roundabouts) and the various suburbs. The only change is for school crossings where a lollipop man or lady with come out with a sign to stop you during school start and finish.

It's a good system - traffic flows well!

That's 2 more than us!
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Most of our shopping centre car parks here have pedestrian crossing in them, otherwise it's the 'Might has right' rule and you give way to cars.
Old 21-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #9
olfella
Cranky old bastard

In Shared Zones, the car must always give way to pedestrians - not that agree as I think if it is a car park then the pedestrian is also a driver and a bit of common sense/give and take should prevail. Bit like how bikes now seem to have all the rights. Regardless of speed limits, it is harder to stop a car than stop walking and that is without having to have eyes everywhere to keep looking out for gunho pedestrians. Then who comes off best regardless of 'rights' and forcing a situation?
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought cars have the right of way most of the time.

In that picture if you look to the left of the building where the diagonal lines are, that usually indicates a shared zone where pedestrians have right of way.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #11
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason I may not stop for a pedestrian, regardless of a crossing or not, is in case some other knuckle head looks like they may cream them if I did.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #12
tonys6550

I always give way to pedestrians in car parks, But that's just me. When I'm walking back to my car in a car park I always give way to cars but that's just me.
There are lots of temporary Australians out there vying for the Darwin Awards, Self preservation is my number one goal
tonys6550 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #13
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pedestrians are convinced they have right of way, even when they don't. Some also think that walking on a crossing is some force field that will prevent them from getting trapped under hot exhaust pipes.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

My experience, many drivers once they enter a car park, their driving ability is instantly reduced, they're mostly interested in (a) trying to find a car spot or (b) trying to exit. They become blind to everything else including pedestrians.

Then a strange thing happens, that same motorist once they exit their car is transported into another reality, they become a pedestrian and a critic of all the motorists.

Personally I find a using a shopping trolley conveniently placed in the trajectory of on coming cars is a great leveller in the game of motorist V's pedestrian.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #15
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post

I always thought cars have the right of way most of the time.

In that picture if you look to the left of the building where the diagonal lines are, that usually indicates a shared zone where pedestrians have right of way.
Yes, I would think that the diagonal lines are essentially a pedestrian crossing area, so the cars would have to give way.
Old 21-11-2015, 11:15 PM   #16
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think some of you guys should have a look here
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...es/pedestrians
and here
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/ltobjst8.nsf/DDE300B846EED9C7CA257616000A3571/407B49EE3C518A9CCA257C7800198F1A/$FILE/09-94sra012%20authorised.pdf
or similar for your states

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
I think some of you guys should have a look here
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...es/pedestrians
and here
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au/domino/Web_Notes/LDMS/LTObject_Store/ltobjst8.nsf/DDE300B846EED9C7CA257616000A3571/407B49EE3C518A9CCA257C7800198F1A/$FILE/09-94sra012%20authorised.pdf
or similar for your states

JP
I know I'm getting old and my eyesight is failing but where was the bit concerning car parks ?
Old 21-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #18
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I know I'm getting old and my eyesight is failing but where was the bit concerning car parks ?
Don't road rules apply in carparks? Sometimes I see signs at carpark entrances stating that also.
Old 21-11-2015, 11:30 PM   #19
tonys6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Car parks are usually private property, But kindly referring to jdblue1000' link, And I quote,
"In shared zones
You must give way to pedestrians in a shared zone. A shared zone is an area shared by vehicles and pedestrians."
Old 21-11-2015, 11:31 PM   #20
sleek7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Pedestrians are convinced they have right of way, even when they don't. Some also think that walking on a crossing is some force field that will prevent them from getting trapped under hot exhaust pipes.
You're not wrong, my wife had the same mentality.
I've had to drill into her just because you technically have right of way on the crossing does not mean that the driver is always going to give way...
As the driver has a duty to obey the rules and stop, you also have a duty of care for yourself to look both ways and be confident that any cars are going to stop before stepping out in front of one.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys6550 View Post
Car parks are usually private property, But kindly referring to jdblue1000' link, And I quote,
"In shared zones
You must give way to pedestrians in a shared zone. A shared zone is an area shared by vehicles and pedestrians."
Rule 83 refers to Rule 24 for defining a shared zone. Rule 24 basically defines a shared zone as an area or length of road identified by shared zone signs.

I'm sure the carparks I go to dont have shared zone signs.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #22
tonys6550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Rule 83 refers to Rule 24 for defining a shared zone. Rule 24 basically defines a shared zone as an area or length of road identified by shared zone signs.

I'm sure the carparks I go to dont have shared zone signs.
Umm, OK.
Old 21-11-2015, 11:59 PM   #23
neverready3

A good friend of mine goes by the saying , he'd rather be alive than dead right.
neverready3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 12:34 AM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
I was waiting for a queue of cars to pass, that were turning into the carpark laneway I wanted to cross.
a turning driver must give way to a pedestrian, even if there is no crossing marked.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2015, 12:38 AM   #25
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I'll be the devil's advocate here, I've always believed the pedestrian has full right of way no matter how wrong they are - don't want no legal issues, don't want to run over anyone.

I've seen plenty of brain dead scenarios conducted in car parks by idiots as we all have.

I park away from the throng of folk "needing" to get the closest of car parks, dodged wayward trolleys from people too lazy to return them to the trolley bays, and look carefully when I'm reversing out.

What more can a simple thinking person do?

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2015, 12:53 AM   #26
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I'll be the devil's advocate here, I've always believed the pedestrian has full right of way no matter how wrong they are - don't want no legal issues, don't want to run over anyone.

I've seen plenty of brain dead scenarios conducted in car parks by idiots as we all have.

I park away from the throng of folk "needing" to get the closest of car parks, dodged wayward trolleys from people too lazy to return them to the trolley bays, and look carefully when I'm reversing out.

What more can a simple thinking person do?

Cheers!
This...

Il also add, I believe drivers actually are obliged by law to give way anywhere... Otherwise any pedestrian that stepped foot on a road would be fair game.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2015, 12:56 AM   #27
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
a lot of pedestrians seem to operate under that assumption too. AFAIK, there is no 'right of way' in the Aust road rules, only a requirement to give way (which sometimes favours the driver, not the pedestrian).
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2015, 01:09 AM   #28
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
a lot of pedestrians seem to operate under that assumption too. AFAIK, there is no 'right of way' in the Aust road rules, only a requirement to give way (which sometimes favours the driver, not the pedestrian).
Mate, that's just the rules I work on - I'd rather it be your way at times, not arguing one iota, just hate to push my luck if it ****ed up against my favour.

I hear ya though!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2015, 01:46 AM   #29
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Walking through a car park I always give way to a car and never walk in front of one unless I've made eye contact with the driver and they've waved me across. I've been hit by a car before and I don't intend to be hit again. As a driver of I've seen a pedestrian early enough I'll wave them across, otherwise if they pop out too late I keep going on my way. Worked for me so far.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #30
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've never understood why an average 85kg person would blindly walk out into the path of something weighing around 2 tonnes with a velocity of 20km/h (sometimes way more) with an arrogant Aussie operating it.
in my view, at any shopping centre anywhere, that 2 tonne machine with said operator can have ALL the right of way.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: