Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Radio announcer shames red P plater on air

This morning driving home from work the radio announcer Jsmilie: I was listening to said he witnessed a red P plate driver driving dangerously :eclipsee_ and fast in the main street of our town during a busy time. He went as far as describing the driver, type, colour, and nearly all the rego number of the car and asked if the parents were listening to take said kid aside and give him a talking to : . During the diatribe he also had a recording of a voice booming out " ROAD ****ER". I nearly p33d myself laughing : . I hope the kid and a few others get the message. :

Last edited by deesun; 03-05-2006 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good stuff, some of these P plate need a good kick up the ***.
ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bet the driver probably either didn't hear it or really doesn't care...
That seems to be the attitude of a lot of youngish teens (and some older people too)...

But well done to the radio bloke.. I would be horrified if it were my son!
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

But what is fast to some is not actually always fast.

Is fast "doing 60 in a 60 zone in the right lane while everyone banked up in the left is doing 20"?

Is redlining your car in first doing 60 while over taking someone going fast (in a 60 zone)?

Is taking off from the traffic lights fast but not exceeding the speed limit speeding?

I know my old fogies call all the above speeding or driving fast when in actual fact it is not.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in a large country town and theres no way someone he knows wouldn't have heard it. Someone who knows him and his oldies will have heard it too. He won't escape.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he may not have been speeding but doing a stupid speed for the situation
Old 03-05-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser

Is fast "doing 60 in a 60 zone in the right lane while everyone banked up in the left is doing 20"?

Is redlining your car in first doing 60 while over taking someone going fast (in a 60 zone)?

Is taking off from the traffic lights fast but not exceeding the speed limit speeding?

I know my old fogies call all the above speeding or driving fast when in actual fact it is not.
Read the thread. Don't the words, fast, dangerous, and busy main street mean anything? Kids,mothers,prams,grannies. Just because the sign says 50 doesn't mean that 50 isn't dangerous. The main street of our town is 50kph but theres no way I would do it at almost any time. I too yesterday saw a different green P plater yesterday going around a roundabout 30kph under the limit but he ripped his foot of the clutch and accellerated away spinning the front wheels of the Suzuki Swift he was in. Not exceeding the speed limit but certainly dangerous and negligent. Yep 4 in the car.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:37 AM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer
So do a lot full licenced drivers too. After all they supposebly have experience and are mature. Funny seems to lack these days
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:00 AM   #9
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Hehehe. Road ****er. Sounds funny.

Hope it wasnt me
Old 03-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
Aeron
DJR Fan

My dad almost got knocked off his bike the other day by a p plater. The guy cut the corner at a T intersection, then jumped on the brakes and spun the car into a gutter. By dad had to set off quick-smart before the rear end swung round to hit his bike.
EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:13 AM   #11
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Quote:

Gotta agree. Ever since i've got my new car my paretns keep telling em to slow down going up and down our road. When I don't speed at all, I stick to atleast 5km/h under 9cause there is kids around).
It's due to the exhuast on my car, it's bloody loud! It got to the point where my old man jumped in the car and i drove up the street. He said sorry very quickly

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #12
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
So do a lot full licenced drivers too. After all they supposebly have experience and are mature. Funny seems to lack these days
that is true but the majority of P platers think they are heroes, god's gift to the motorist when in actual fact they're a bunch of losers needing to settle down and act a little more mature on the road.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That's the attitude! make excuses, couldnt be the P Plater at fault, no way..... :

Old 03-05-2006, 11:24 AM   #14
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Its not just P platers, alot of drivers need a good kick up the ***...

Ask a tow truck driver who he picks up more from accidents, and I garentee you'll be suprised.. it wont be P platers..
P platers just get more exposure.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Geez, alot of stereotyping here.

Clevlndstemer: Have you met the majority of P platers have you?

Its comments such as, P platers do this, P platers think that, that tar all P platers with the same brush. Sure, we see a lot of P platers in the news from accidents and fatalities. Im sure that could be put down to inexperience and the immortal feeling of youth. But that dosnt mean ALL P platers are reckless.

Ill ask you, how many fatalities happen on the roads that we never hear about. But if a P plater kills someone they find themselves on the national news.

Im not saying there isnt a problem training P platers etc. Just the problem isnt as bad as the media paints it.

Now, lets not try and make sereotypical comments about a whole group of people.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6

Its comments such as, P platers do this, P platers think that, that tar all P platers with the same brush. Sure, we see a lot of P platers in the news from accidents and fatalities. Im sure that could be put down to inexperience and the immortal feeling of youth. But that dosnt mean ALL P platers are reckless.

Ill ask you, how many fatalities happen on the roads that we never hear about. But if a P plater kills someone they find themselves on the national news.

Im not saying there isnt a problem training P platers etc. Just the problem isnt as bad as the media paints it.

Now, lets not try and make sereotypical comments about a whole group of people.
In the same way how do you know the media is just beating it up? do you work for the TAC? have you surveyed every driver? Do you have access to crash history data?

When i make comments i base my opinions on 20 years of driving around and amongst other drivers, and observing their attitudes and behavour.

Of course not all p platers are bad, but the % are against them.

Its more creditable to build a case against a certain demographic if you've had extensive experience driving amongst them then just make excusses for them by crying "stereotye" or "media beatup"...

Old 03-05-2006, 12:22 PM   #17
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
In the

Spot on. Whilst not all p platers are irresponsible and not all fully licensed drivers are perfect - the P plater crowd has a disproportionate representation of idiots amoungst them.

Denying this is simply ignorant IMO.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:

*dot*
Old 03-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #19
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:

Well technically what you've described isn't breaking the law, but i could say that under certain circumstances you've described, it could be said that it's irresponsible and not very cautious.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 12:49 PM   #20
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
In the same way how do you know the media is just beating it up? do you work for the TAC? have you surveyed every driver? Do you have access to crash history data?

When i make comments i base my opinions on 20 years of driving around and amongst other drivers, and observing their attitudes and behavour.

Its more creditable to build a case against a certain demographic if you've had extensive experience driving amongst them then just make excusses for them by crying "stereotye" or "media beatup"...
Lol, and how do you know how long ive been driving. And if you have been driving for 20 years but only drive 10k a year as an example and ive been driving for only 10 years but drive 20k a year does that make us equally experienced.

I think the case put forth against a demographic is a little unfair. You say you drive in and around them blah blah blah, so does everybody on the road. I ask you, how many P platers are on the road at any one time? How many P plate fatalaties do we see on the news, not that many really comparatively. Yet the media still puts em on their because they know it will get people watching. Thats why all the current affairs shows do the same, it stirs controversy and gets people watching.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Spot on. Whilst not all p platers are irresponsible and not all fully licensed drivers are perfect - the P plater crowd has a disproportionate representation of idiots amoungst them.

Denying this is simply ignorant IMO.
Ok, so please point to the figurse that suppor this? Where is the study done on total P plate numbers versus accidents involving P platers comparitively to full licence driver number and their percentage in accidents.

As I said, im not saying there isnt a problem, but the problem is more to do with all driver training. P platers cop it because they are an easy target for the media.

For instance, do you really think there are not hundreds of accidents a day around aus involving full licence drivers. How many of them end with people in hospital. Yet the media chooses to report on a P platers accident instead where someone ended up in hospital.

I dont have any facts or figures, any studies or evidence to support my claim that most P platers arent dangerous. But then, im not the one pidgeon holing the whole P plate group.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, so please point to the figurse that suppor this? Where is the study done on total P plate numbers versus accidents involving P platers comparitively to full licence driver number and their percentage in accidents.

As I said, im not saying there isnt a problem, but the problem is more to do with all driver training. P platers cop it because they are an easy target for the media.

For instance, do you really think there are not hundreds of accidents a day around aus involving full licence drivers. How many of them end with people in hospital. Yet the media chooses to report on a P platers accident instead where someone ended up in hospital.

I dont have any facts or figures, any studies or evidence to support my claim that most P platers arent dangerous. But then, im not the one pidgeon holing the whole P plate group.
The TAC and insurance companies have done the research, premiums reflect the issue, TAC spend their advertising money addressing the most appropriate audiance.
As others have pointed out P Platers represent a disproportinate % of "risk" given they only make up such a small percentage of total drivers.
If you dissagree with this then you my friend are in total denial and live in fairy land.
You can blame lack of training, immaturity, poor attitude lack of experience or what ever you like, but it doesnt change the facts.

By the way, ive averaged 35,000K per year for the best part of 15 of those 20 years, im as qualified to comment on what i see as anyone.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #23
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
that is true but the majority of P platers think they are heroes, god's gift to the motorist when in actual fact they're a bunch of losers needing to settle down and act a little more mature on the road.
Interesting motto under your avatar - "dont speed = no fine" ? What about the people who got fined for doing under the limit on the Ring Road in Melbourne or the faulty police car radar's who incorrectly fined numerous motorists in Sydney a few years back. So even if you don't speed you still get fined, is that right?

Not being racist or anti - anyone, but a considerable portion of poor drivers are aged people and some from Asia-India regions who are yet to be experienced on Australian roads.

There are far more accidents on a day to day basis where the person was a fully licencesed driver with years of experience under his or her belt.

I agree with au3_chaser on all accounts.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #24
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:

Fair question. I wouldnt say i was pidgeon-holing p platers - i even went to the effort of explaining that its simply the disporoprtionate representation of irresponsible drivers...

I am just suprised that p platers seem (act?) "mystified" on how public perception of them is formed.

I have access to insurance company data sets but would be a serious breach of legislation for me to provide such information. Luckily i dont need to. Look at the insurance premiums for drivers in the p plater age brackets. The premiums speak for themselves and are NOTHING MORE than statistical representations of the insurer's data sets.

If the premiums for one agre group are higher than that of another age group - it means the insurer has observed, historically, that more drivers in this category are likely to make an AT FAULT claim upon their insurer.

Oh... and BTW I'm a P plater.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #25
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Fair question. I wouldnt say i was pidgeon-holing p platers - i even went to the effort of explaining that its simply the disporoprtionate representation of irresponsible drivers...

I am just suprised that p platers seem (act?) "mystified" on how public perception of them is formed.

I have access to insurance company data sets but would be a serious breach of legislation for me to provide such information. Luckily i dont need to. Look at the insurance premiums for drivers in the p plater age brackets. The premiums speak for themselves and are NOTHING MORE than statistical representations of the insurer's data sets.

If the premiums for one agre group are higher than that of another age group - it means the insurer has observed, historically, that more drivers in this category are likely to make an AT FAULT claim upon their insurer.

Oh... and BTW I'm a P plater.
EXACTLY!

Old 03-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #26
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Thats cool 4.9. Maybe P platers are more inexperienced and thus cause more accidents through less on the job learning over time. I would not subscrie to the theory the majority are losers, idiots etc etc.

They certainly are less mature, hence why they are P platers I guess.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:10 PM   #27
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

of course i haven't met the majority of all p-platers but the majority i meet on the road each and everyday certainly don't do P-platers any favours. Just have to attend any uni to see a large amount of them. Night time is even worse and I won't have a bias to gender either.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #28
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guaranteed you can pick the young and P plater drivers and the older more experienced drivers in these posts.
It has been said time and time again there is an overepresentation of P plate and young drivers involved in colisions. It wouldn't be hard to find studies and proof. I have long advocated more driver training for young drivers (yes I sent my young son along to a defensive driver course,and I went too) and it has also angered me when they have benn unfairly targeted but there is unrefutable evidence. If there wasn't, all the organisations who say there is would be hounded down.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #29
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

So what category do I fit into Deesun?

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 03-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #30
4.9 EF Futura

Quote:
Thats cool 4.9. Maybe P platers are more inexperienced and thus cause more accidents through less on the job learning over time. I would not subscrie to the theory the majority are losers, idiots etc etc.
Probably not explaining myself well (yet again lol).

Im not suggesting 50% or more of the P plater population are idiots/losers/whatever....

Im just syaing that, compared to the non-p plater population, there is a higher proportion of idiots. I'll just reach between my buttocks and pull out some numbers for an example's sake...

Maybe.... 10% of p platers drive like idiots vs 5% of non-platers.... ? 1% of p platers vs 0.5% of non-platers? etc etc