Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
WillsEDfalcon

Default what to look for in an au sadan.

hi,
I dont usually come to this part of the forums since i own an Ed falcon, but my brother wants to buy an AU falcon. What should i look for in an AU?

cheers

will

WillsEDfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #2
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

hi, brake shudder was the biggest complaint with the AU series 1, also check inlet and exhaust manifold bolts should be checked for tightness,they can get loose and cause rough idle which i think is pretty common for some au's,on the IRS sedans,the rear shock mounts have been known to wear out and could need replacing,um the power windows get slow which can be fixed easily, IMO go for AU 2 - AU 3 Models,or even a FTE,bargin if you can find one.
AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

steer clear of the AU1 with the flintstone brakes check service history if the tranny has not had regular servicing it only lasts 150 to 200K the brake shudder mentioned above is easily fixed with sloted rotors
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with what has been said. Series 2 minimum. How about an AUII Futura Classic!! :P

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
chrispie123
Banned

check for rear boot struts where it mounts to chassis for rust
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
T3man
Banned

First thing to check is if it has a 5.6L motor.

Seriously though if you stick with a Series II or III as has been said there is little to worry about. The XR6 models are extremely good value. Or if you are looking at an XR8 then the Series III have some serious go in them.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
DTFRMONT

Go for at least a series 2. Also buy on condition, not on mileage, i'd rather buy an immaculate car with high mileage rather than a poorly kept one with low kays. Providing they're maintained properly, kays are not usually an issue.
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Going against the grain above. I've got a series 1 Fairmont approaching 240K. The only problem to date has been a leaking inlet manifold. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
Hords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2007, 07:45 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hords
Going against the grain above. I've got a series 1 Fairmont approaching 240K. The only problem to date has been a leaking inlet manifold. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.
it's true there are some nice S1s out there but if you get one and you intend on any hard driving those brakes will have to go and unlike S2 on the upgrade is big you need to also replace stubs lower control arms and stabiliser bar as well ast the brakes themself. so for that reason if you are buying go S2 or higher
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 AM   #10
WillsEDfalcon

thanks guys for the advice. cause my bro is only on his L's but coming up soon to getting his p's soon just worried about the power to weight ratio's and that an AU will come under these strict regulations coming into vic soon... I kinda got short shifted on my ed with a roady etc... only had done 150000 and was in a1 condistion before roady... any way thats bit off the topic...

cheers
will
WillsEDfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post