Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > Project Builds (non Car)

Project Builds (non Car) Here is an area where you can show / discuss other non car builds be they bikes, caravans, boats, BBQ's or whatever.

Old 23-05-2020, 07:04 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Ginkgo biloba or the Maidenhair tree.

This is another Autumn favorite of mine, I love the bright yellow foliage at this time of the year. These are slow growing and long lived deciduous tress to about 9 mt in height. Ginkgo trees need rich soil and plenty of water during summer to thrive.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This little plant caught my eye today, the flowers standing out like a beacon.

Dianthus Waterloo Sunset is a beautiful variety of Carnation. These are low maintenance plants that feature grey foliage that provides a colour contrast in the garden. Their compact nature mean they are also a great potted plant too. The main reason for growing them though is the heavily scented flowers produced in Autumn, late Winter and Spring.
Mustang GT

Old 25-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

With one of my clients having an active bee hive, controlling insects requires a different approach.

For example, if a rose bush is infested with aphids I would normally reach for something like Confidor or Trifend, however both of these are not particularly friendly to bees.

So with that in mind, I have been mixing 2.5 tbs of dish washing detergent (in this case fruity Morning Fresh Watermelon and Pomegranate) with 2.5 tbs of vegetable oil in 4 lt of water.

Then spray infested plants as normal. Thorough drenching is required here due to this not being a systemic solution.
Mustang GT

Old 25-05-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
We have a groundcover that I think is causing problems with our dog's skin... I think it's Tradescantia Spathacea. In the shade it stays green, when it gets more sunlight it goes purple.

I need recommendations for a better ground cover.

We also have the Purple Heart variety.

Yeah good old Moses in a Basket...it can be a basket of a plant for dogs.
Try Mondo grass, both green and variegated, or try Liriope muscari. Both mondos and liriopes form clumps and can be propagated by dividing the clumps.
Old 30-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Today's attention grabber.

Chrysocephalum apiculatum 'Desert Flame' is a low growing native ground cover that does well in a sunny position and requires minimal water once established. With a height and spread of 20cm high and 40cm wide, this plant injects colour via it's cheery yellow flowers and the grey foliage provides a nice colour contrast.
Mustang GT

Old 31-05-2020, 07:12 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Even with winter on our door step, the roses continue to flower. This one is called Brass Band.

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 01-06-2020, 08:32 AM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Lovely pics. You tend to some amazing plants.

Down here I'm lucky to have lots of Australian natives which are just starting to flower.
My pride plant is a Toothbrush Grevillea, the resident Wattlebirds, Treecreepers, White Plumed Honeyeaters, Firetails and Superb Wrens absolutely adore the nectar.
After the flowers slowly die off, the Cootamundra Wattles start flowering signifying deep winter.
Different wattle species colours are amazing during winter.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #8
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

We just bough our own house so for the first time in my life I've gotten into gardening seriously. Spent hours today picking out what I now know a weed called "Purslane Weed" from about a 3x4 section of my nice lawn.

It was so hard to dig out with the couch grass getting tangled up. Horrible thing to dig out.

I have shady parts in the lawn so hoping to keep it alive and well during winter but couch doesn't like the shade.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #9
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
We just bough our own house so for the first time in my life I've gotten into gardening seriously. Spent hours today picking out what I now know a weed called "Purslane Weed" from about a 3x4 section of my nice lawn.

It was so hard to dig out with the couch grass getting tangled up. Horrible thing to dig out.

I have shady parts in the lawn so hoping to keep it alive and well during winter but couch doesn't like the shade.
Ahhh, Purslane or Portulaca weed. A resilient and troublesome weed. I find it will even resist chemicals more so than other weeds, taking far longer to die from Glyphosate.

Mustang GT

Old 02-06-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

That's the one! OMG every time I looked at a small space in the lawn, sure enough another one was there. Using chemicals wasn't really an option unfortunately with the weeds entangled in the lawn.

That patch is now dug up and a bit of a mess, so will wait to spring to fix up. Might throw some couch runners down. I'd throw up some pics but don't want to hijack the thread.

Might start a "backyard build thread" :-)

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

Old 02-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's the one! OMG every time I looked at a small space in the lawn, sure enough another one was there. Using chemicals wasn't really an option unfortunately with the weeds entangled in the lawn.

That patch is now dug up and a bit of a mess, so will wait to spring to fix up. Might throw some couch runners down. I'd throw up some pics but don't want to hijack the thread.

Might start a "backyard build thread" :-)
Post away mate, I don't mind.

What you need is a broad leaf selective herbicide/weed killer.

https://www.searlesgardening.com.au/...E-weed-control

Used correctly, this will kill weeds and leave the lawn intact. Don't use those "Weed-n-Feed" type products as these simply burn off the foliage and leave the weeds root system behind to regrow at a latter date.
Mustang GT

Old 03-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #12
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Post away mate, I don't mind.

What you need is a broad leaf selective herbicide/weed killer.

https://www.searlesgardening.com.au/...E-weed-control

Used correctly, this will kill weeds and leave the lawn intact. Don't use those "Weed-n-Feed" type products as these simply burn off the foliage and leave the weeds root system behind to regrow at a latter date.
Thankyou :-) Yes been doing a lot of research on lawns. I believe I have a Couch grass. But looking close today might be Buffalo.

I have been going around pulling those weeds out. I have a complete infestation of them!

I don't think I have a choice but to spend hours and keep going around digging them out. As a result I've dug up a lot of my lawn

At the moment plan of attack is to put runners back into the ground and keep searching around for more of those weeds. I don't think they can be killed off. I've pulled out at least 150 so far.

In the spring I'll do the broad leaf weed killer then fertilise in september. Lucky its a small yard... Some of the couch is thin because of shade, so I'll put in garden beds I think. Scotts Lawn Builder seems to get good reviews and isn't too expensive

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

Last edited by BA-XT; 03-06-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:43 PM   #13
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Thankyou :-) Yes been doing a lot of research on lawns. I believe I have a Couch grass. But looking close today might be Buffalo.

I have been going around pulling those weeds out. I have a complete infestation of them!

I don't think I have a choice but to spend hours and keep going around digging them out. As a result I've dug up a lot of my lawn

At the moment plan of attack is to put runners back into the ground and keep searching around for more of those weeds. I don't think they can be killed off. I've pulled out at least 150 so far.

In the spring I'll do the broad leaf weed killer then fertilise in september. Lucky its a small yard... Some are was the couch is thin because of shade, so I'll put in garden beds I think.
I might need a closer pic of your lawn to ID what type you have, as this will determine the broad leaf weed killer to use on it.

Keep it up mate. When spring arrives it will really take off with some fertilizer and water. Nothing better than the smell of a freshly cut lawn.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #14
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The month of June and Winter season means the arrival of Bare Root trees and roses.

We received our first delivery of both Roses and deciduous trees / fruit trees today. Once unloaded, we wet the roots down then cover them with wet hessian to protect the root system while we process them.

This means a lot of busy work for us, sorting, labeling, taking out customer pre-orders and then burying them in sand to store them over the winter. It's the burying in sand part that I dread, shovel after shovel of heavy wet sand really takes a toll on the body.

Big work, but it is often an anticipated time by both customers and staff.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #15
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DFB FGXR6 each one to their own... as a youngster I mowed lawns for pocket money, one old biddy (polite term) would sit outside and watch me mow near her succulents. Scream & yell if I got too close.The front yard was also on a slope.
One day Id had enough of her carp and got my mower on the rise of her yard, pretended to trip and the old Morrison did its best cut ever.

Without batting an eyelid and her trying for a heart attack, I pushed the mower onto the trailer I towed behind my pushbike and peddled off into the sunset.
Id wager she grows them still....it hell
Old 19-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Great thread Deyon.

I dont know many garderner who are passionate about gardening. But I can see how it could soothe you doing something you really enjoy.

Personally I really really dislike gardening. Like really dislike it. I will do it if I have to, but I would be happy to pay someone to maintain my garden for me than do it myself. That is how much I dislike it. haha

I wish you lived closer coz I would be happy to give you work on my property. haha

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #17
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Great thread Deyon.

I dont know many garderner who are passionate about gardening. But I can see how it could soothe you doing something you really enjoy.

Personally I really really dislike gardening. Like really dislike it. I will do it if I have to, but I would be happy to pay someone to maintain my garden for me than do it myself. That is how much I dislike it. haha

I wish you lived closer coz I would be happy to give you work on my property. haha
Your the second person in two days to tell me I'm so passionate and enthusiastic about gardening. It's so nice to get some positive feedback, it's been a bit thin on the ground lately for a few years now. Really appreciate those words.

As I'm sure you can understand, I don't do much gardening in my down time. I garden and care for plants 6 days a week, it's the last thing I want to do for myself. I guess I get my fix during working hours and give 110 % to my customers. Hence my other thread on Ford Forums is far removed form Horticulture
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2020, 05:55 PM   #18
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

First Camellia Japonica flower for the season.

First of many by the looks of those buds waiting in the wings. This one is called 'Great Eastern'.

My Grandma had a garden filled with mature Camellia's, mostly of the Japonica type.

Broadly, there two main types of Camellia, Sasanqua and Japonica.

Sasanqua Camellia's flower in Autumn and early Winter and are more tolerant of sunny conditions. Their flowers are generally smaller but produce more of them compared to Japonica's. They make a great hedge or showy feature shrub.

Japonica Camellia's flower during winter and more suited to shadier spots in the garden, morning sun at the most. Having said that, they will acclimatize over time to a sunnier spot. The flowers on Japonica's are larger and fuller. The size and habit of these Camellia's is generally larger, almost tree like when fully grown. This means they are not as suited for hedging. Plant these Camellia's as a feature shrub or where height is needed.

All Camellia's prefer a rich, moist soil. Mulch and water well during the warmer months of the year. Always feed Camellia's after flowering to support new growth. Likewise, trimming is best done after flowering to shape if necessary.

Camellia's are my favorite plants. For most of the year they are just another green shrub, but when in flower, nothing is better than a Camellia for impact in the garden. Kinda like me, quiet and reserved mostly, but I may just surprise you one day!
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A good sized Japonica is glorious. Up there in my faves with Gordonia and Magnolia Grandiflora.

How do you manage unwanted shooting at the pruning cuts? I was always told to dig out the shoots like eyes on a potato.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #20
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A good sized Japonica is glorious. Up there in my faves with Gordonia and Magnolia Grandiflora.

How do you manage unwanted shooting at the pruning cuts? I was always told to dig out the shoots like eyes on a potato.
In general, ripping the bud out will prevent a plant from shooting.

With roses, for example, that shoot from the root stock, it's advised to yank the unwanted shoot and rip it from the plant. That removes the bud and stops it from re shooting.
Mustang GT

Old 29-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #21
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my dad was the same with roses, he would prune almost to root stock, his nephew was president of Christchurch rose club and always wanted to know how dad got such growth and blooms.
He surprised us with a visit one day, how e
he didnt die from heart failure was a miracle
Old 29-06-2020, 08:13 PM   #22
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to say I am really enjoying following this thread, you guys are not ashamed to show what excites you, well done and its also giving me some ideas for a job Iam slowly working on.
Old 29-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #23
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another Camellia, this time a variety called 'Marge Miller'.

Marge Miller was bread here in Australia as the worlds first ground cover Camellia. It is from the Sasanqua species meaning it can tolerate full sun, however I would probably use this in a shaded position if you are in area prone to hot, dry summers.

These feature plants are available as a ground cover or as a grafted 90cm standard.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #24
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I gotta say you guys have lifted the moral of this whole forum.

My observations but there is no one up man ship
no arguments, not of the usual 'discussions' about I need to prove Iam right blah blah blah.

I am learning a lot although I suspect none of you are from SA, (frankly I dont even care about that stuff)but the list of plants you keep displaying esp. low care is encouraging.
Old 26-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #25
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I gotta say you guys have lifted the moral of this whole forum.

My observations but there is no one up man ship
no arguments, not of the usual 'discussions' about I need to prove Iam right blah blah blah.

I am learning a lot although I suspect none of you are from SA, (frankly I dont even care about that stuff)but the list of plants you keep displaying esp. low care is encouraging.
Thanks for the feedback and comments.

Posting about plants and my cars helps me and my mental health and I'm glad it's bringing some joy to others too.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This is Camellia 'Margaret Davis'.

I absolutely love this variety of Camellia Japonica. The pink variation can change from plant to plant, some having more pink and others having more white. This particular plant was covered in blooms and a real beacon in the garden. My Grandma had one of these in her collection and when they are in flower, I am reminded of her and her garden.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #27
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Yellow Daffodil's against a brilliant blue sky. The season feels like it's about to turn.

Gardening is all in about planning and patience. For display like this, bulbs are planted in March and April. What looked like a shriveled onion turns into these bright and cheery Daffodils, a symbol of turning of Winter turning into Spring.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 06:45 PM   #28
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

As you can tell by now, I love Camellia's.

This one called 'Tinsie' is in full flower in my garden at the moment. I like how it is just a bit different.

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #29
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I finally made the time to contribute from my own garden, though pics taken through full winter some weeks ago.
Getting ready to clean up more with spring in the air !

I love these above, clippings passed onto me some months ago.

I love these ferns- hardy.

Can’t beat that eh, camellia in full bloom, got a few like this specimen.

Can’t remember what this is called but it looks nice, think it has a white flower haha

It’s doing well, all ripe now since the pic taken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #30
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Can’t remember what this is called but it looks nice, think it has a white flower haha
Looks like an Albany wooly bush, Adenanthos. Cool texture plant thats as tough as they get.

Jealous of all your camelias guys. They're not suited to the lime sands of Perth but I'm heading to the Margaret river region next week and theres alot of mature specimens down there to envy.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: