Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
maccaxr

Default all ebay and trademe fakes name and shame

not sure if this has been done before but saw it on another forum while i was searching for info on this very problem. so tell your experiences with what seller and what item to help others try and avoid it. also any tips for any fake vs real items youve got would be good.
ill start then, one from ebay

seller:flying ford performance
item:42lbs 968 injectors
dam near cost me an engine after installed and tune was in, first run down the road and one decided to jam ON! now i no what to look out for... (no part numbers, didnt come in a bosch box, slighty cheaper than the rest, slightly different green)
fake vs genuine
[IMG] [/IMG]

to the sellers credit he did give a refund after a few messages but certainly hasnt stoped selling them.

also ive been looking for walbro gss340/341/342 fuel pumps recently and couldnt belive how many fakes are flooding the market theyve gotten good at copying the original but theres still a couple of giveaways..
the original should have a nice shiny surface with a film of oil over it due to the testing done at the factory weras the copy has a dull matt surface, also a price too good to be true. other than that its hard to tell even the walbro stamping and made in the usa is there. watchout everyone is selling a 100% genuine walbro..
fake vs genuine
[IMG] [/IMG]
also obviosly the workings are greatly different have herd storys off them lasting 1 run on a dyno to 6 months and plenty of running lean in between. heres a good clip thats show the noise difference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7102yaOA2jk

keen to hear other peoples finds. theres a wealth of knowledge out there so if we try and put it in one spot hopefully others wont have the same problem

Old 18-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
maccaxr

Default Re: all ebay and trademe fakes name and shame

noone huh? surely theres storys out there? maybe ill start a xr6t vs xr8 thread instead?!
Old 19-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it goes both ways, sometimes a 'copy' will give just as good performance and longevity as a genuine version. If the copy Walbro is stamped made in USA, i wonder if they really are (i'm sure letting Walbro know might be the first step in stopping them being sold with faulty country of origin markings).
Old 19-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
allenford

I never buy of ebay for my car only from shops i know it be better lol

FaceBook Fans Club Only for FORDS Ford Club On FaceBook!
allenford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

As usual - with most things - you get what you pay for.
Old 19-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
As usual - with most things - you get what you pay for.
i think this may have been the case in the past and still is with many performance parts their are alot of things that are rebaged and sold as different brands for much more than the original. I have been told my fuel reg on my race car is a fake, It is performing as the name brand its supposed to be, go figure, maybe it will crap itself earlier, maybe it wont. You have to remember how many genuine parts are made in china.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
i think this may have been the case in the past and still is with many performance parts their are alot of things that are rebaged and sold as different brands for much more than the original. I have been told my fuel reg on my race car is a fake, It is performing as the name brand its supposed to be, go figure, maybe it will crap itself earlier, maybe it wont. You have to remember how many genuine parts are made in china.
Yeah i suppose my comment was a little flippant.

I just hate reading stories about people who have bought an 'alternative' to a top/reputable brand for a much cheaper price, and then complain about the item not working.

Reminded me of a guy on a forum (not sure if it was here or elsewhere) who bought a really cheap set of Brembo brake calipers/pads for his car on eBay, and was staggered when what he received in the mail was a 'dress kit' to put over your existing brake calipers to 'look' like brembos. He paid about $700-$800 for a set of 4 calipers (which is MIGHTY cheap - ask anyone who's had to replace the pads on a set of Brembos).

Like anything - if you find an item that is $100 when they're usually $500, then tread carefully.
Old 19-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Real Sard fuel regulator

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SARD-Adju...item1e7021e77b

Fake sard fuel regulator
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Genui...item2c605d1aad

I wonder if the fake one works?
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
maccaxr

cheers edmanual this is what were after. as for fakes vs originals quality theres a reason a genuine costs more, this is usualy because it works...money spent on r&d a a bit more spent on materials, warrentys.. if the copys were so good there wouldnt be storys of them ruining builds or breaking after 3 months and the original makers would be sent packing.. im hoping i can get most of the information on one thread rather than sifting through specific searches looking for that vital piece of info that could of saved you 1500 bucks..
Old 20-07-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly different, but I was looking online last night, and I see you can buy plastic covers for your standard brakes - Brembo style. Okay, so we are not looking at a complete fake caliper, but really . If you want to paint your brakes red, green or whatever, that is fine, but a Turbo badge on my NA, and a V8 sticker on the rocker cover of the six
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats the fuel reg Im using, been told its afake, but i cant tell, cost me about $90, its on a supercharged au motor, seems stable and quality looks good. Mine looks like the one you have listed as the real one, but who would know?
Old 21-07-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
Barranated
Starter Motor

Apart from the normal BS and whining about their Mrs and kids.....this eBay car parts saga is slowly becoming a regular smoko topic.
One problem I’m hearing about that stands out are those bearing hubs advertised as ‘OEM quality’ at around 50 or 60 bucks a pair.
There are few mobs selling these so I can’t point out one in particular.
From what they tell me they’re far from OEM quality and a few having failed within a couple of months of fitting.
I’m seeing a lot of car parts being advertised and compared to OEM and no doubt a fair amount would be.
Making claims of such quality is as bad as the ‘counterfeited brand’ products, particularly when it comes to critical components like bearing hubs.
Barranated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barranated
Apart from the normal BS and whining about their Mrs and kids.....this eBay car parts saga is slowly becoming a regular smoko topic.
One problem I’m hearing about that stands out are those bearing hubs advertised as ‘OEM quality’ at around 50 or 60 bucks a pair.
There are few mobs selling these so I can’t point out one in particular.
From what they tell me they’re far from OEM quality and a few having failed within a couple of months of fitting.
I’m seeing a lot of car parts being advertised and compared to OEM and no doubt a fair amount would be.
Making claims of such quality is as bad as the ‘counterfeited brand’ products, particularly when it comes to critical components like bearing hubs.
No doughts here, but interesting as you can get the same crap results from "reputable" outlets and i have heard of a couple of very early failures on bearings hubs from a particular big red "r" type store, my point being that just because you buy from an outlet it doesnt guarantee a better product and I think this is becoming the problem, that unless you buy a known brand of known origin like b&m or MSD for example you just dont know where the part was made or by whom.Definately easier to get a replacement if you bought local, but where I live its quicker to order online than from a shop locally and usually the same part cheaper, if they want me to shop local they will have to stop sending catologues and when i go there to get told "sorry we dont have any we can order it" well guess what i can order it aswell and save!.
Old 21-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been bitten a couple of times in the passed month. A cheap car cigarette lighter socket torch that exploded without warning shooting out like a bullet just about taking my eye out. Shrapnel everywhere and scorch marks on my dash. Then an XF ute tarp cover that had plastic retainers on the loops, five of them cracked out of the box. Another two cracked when putting the tarp on. Rubbish quality junk imported from china.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post