Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Why Aussies are Buying Overseas. Amazon Service

I ordered a Kindle from Amazon.com on August the 11th it arrived today, the 16th. Thats 5 days from ordering!!! It often takes me 5 to 10 days to get or send a parcel to Perth!!!! No wonder Aussies are buying online.!! Missus has had one for a year..no problems..books etc are much much cheaper than here.
Dick Smith will be Aussie Kindle seller from August 29..but you can only get Kindle in black , other colours are available..and its $50 more than the shipped price. Not sure if DSE Kindle will link to your Kindle account.
Retailers need to be competitive and stop blaming Aussies for buying overseas as cause of their problems.

Old 16-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: Why Aussies are Buying Overseas. Amazon Service

I don't think it's just amazon.. i just bought car parts from the US totalling $130 delivered to OZ, to buy the parts locally would cost me about $600...

I am all for supporting Australian businesses, but my wallet doesn't allow for it..
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I ordered a Kindle from Amazon.com on August the 11th it arrived today, the 16th. Thats 5 days from ordering!!! It often takes me 5 to 10 days to get or send a parcel to Perth!!!! No wonder Aussies are buying online.!! Missus has had one for a year..no problems..books etc are much much cheaper than here.
Dick Smith will be Aussie Kindle seller from August 29..but you can only get Kindle in black , other colours are available..and its $50 more than the shipped price. Not sure if DSE Kindle will link to your Kindle account.
Retailers need to be competitive and stop blaming Aussies for buying overseas as cause of their problems.
All valid points... but there are a lot of things eating into Austrlian companies:
- Wages
- Massively high rent
- Low volume buying (20m vs 300m population) makes purchase price higher
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
All valid points... but there are a lot of things eating into Austrlian companies:
- Wages
- Massively high rent
- Low volume buying (20m vs 300m population) makes purchase price higher
I dont agree with the last point.
Companies in Aus have the same access to the same goods from the US as we do. Sure they have to add 10% GST duty to any import over $1000, but they get the benefit of shipping cost reduction due to volume.
Some of the markups we see on retail prices reflect a whole lot more than the duty cost.
Car audio is a great example of some massive markups.
Old 16-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

For a package to be delivered to Australia it will have to pass through the hands of Australian couriers too.

I would talk to your couriers for the Perth stuff. I had a packaged couriered from Perth that arrived the next day.

The online stores don't have the bricks and mortar store fronts to support and this must make a big dent in the cost. I'm not justifying the difference in price but it must be a factor.
Old 16-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

But what do you do when a US online retailer won't ship to Australia?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
You find one that does.

or..

There is a service you can use that will essentially purchase the goods for you, in the US, then ship them to you.
Lots of people in Aus did this when Google first released the Nexus1 Android phone. They only sold it through google checkout and only to US residents.
Old 16-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I recently ordered a K&N filter for my Paj and I couldn't get one here without ordering one in (so retailers RRP plus postage and no discount coupons allowed cause it's not in store)

I ordered from Summit and the cost of filter and shipping was about $110 which still worked out cheaper than going in store. Wait was about 3 weeks though which I was told from Summit and also gave me a tracking number for it too.
Old 16-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior

You don't buy it. Just like when the Australian retailer don't have what you want, you don't buy off them.
Old 16-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Companies in Aus have the same access to the same goods from the US as we do. Sure they have to add 10% GST duty to any import over $1000, but they get the benefit of shipping cost reduction due to volume.
Some of the markups we see on retail prices reflect a whole lot more than the duty cost.
When you are buying to sell 100,000 units you get a higher wholesale price to a business that is buying 1,000,000 units.

Then when you sell, you can put less margin on the product because you are going to be selling so many more units.
Old 16-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Australian companies must by law warrant themselves for up to 7 years whatever they import or build.

They also have to put up with lazy employees who take sickies on a regular basis, want 4 weeks a year holidays, want penalty rates on weekend or at night, want workers comp, want job protection, want immunity from stuffing up, want super etc. while having to pay tax to support for one of the largest percentage of non working benefit receivers/government employees in the world as well as all of the local government expenses.

Maybe you should actually go for a wander off to USA and see how the real world lives. Have you ever heard the term "minimum wage" mentioned on yank TV shows?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
When you are buying to sell 100,000 units you get a higher wholesale price to a business that is buying 1,000,000 units.

Then when you sell, you can put less margin on the product because you are going to be selling so many more units.
Buying as an individual you dont get to buy from a wholesaler.
You buy from a retailer that has already paid for shipping and applied their markup. And yet you still come out in front.
Old 16-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #13
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Australian companies must by law warrant themselves for up to 7 years whatever they import or build.

They also have to put up with lazy employees who take sickies on a regular basis, want 4 weeks a year holidays, want penalty rates on weekend or at night, want workers comp, want job protection, want immunity from stuffing up, want super etc. while having to pay tax to support for one of the largest percentage of non working benefit receivers/government employees in the world as well as all of the local government expenses.

Maybe you should actually go for a wander off to USA and see how the real world lives. Have you ever heard the term "minimum wage" mentioned on yank TV shows?
You see how I said I didnt agree with the last point? That implies that I did agree with the others.

Last edited by geckoGT; 16-08-2011 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Taking the personal stuff out
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Buying as an individual you dont get to buy from a wholesaler.
You buy from a retailer that has already paid for shipping and applied their markup. And yet you still come out in front.
Yes, but an Australian retail company will be selling much lower volumes than an American company.

When I have looked at making tees overseas the difference with volume is astounding. You're looking at 2-5x more expensive at the kind of volumes that an Australian retailer can move, compared to an American retailer.
Old 16-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
while having to pay tax to support for one of the largest percentage of non working government employees in the world as well .

I fixed it for you. By the way, what is wrong with that, we are worth it you know
Old 16-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #16
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Put it this way, if you are an Australia retailer, you want to buy 5,000 widgets based on Australias pop and what you hope to sell. A US retailer is buying 100,000 widgets for the same reason but to support Americas population - The US retailer will get a better buying price and therefore can offer a better selling price

Granted some retailers have massive markups but not all - a lot of retailers are hurting at the moment

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #17
MAD
Petro-sexual

It could not possibly be cheaper for an individual to buy from a retailer than it would be to buy low volumes from a wholesaler.
If it was, maybe aussie businesses should buy from an overseas retailer instead.
Old 16-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
It could not possibly be cheaper for an individual to buy from a retailer than it would be to buy low volumes from a wholesaler.
If it was, maybe aussie businesses should buy from an overseas retailer instead.
I've heard of small business owners buying stock up from Big W etc when on sale because its cheaper then they could get it through the whole saler. That could just be talk though.....
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I buy all my mountain bike gear through a large online company in the UK. Because it’s dirt cheap! Can get high end parts for hundreds less than in Aus...Shipping usually takes 5-8 days and if I spend over $300 in a single transaction I get free shipping.

No brainer if you ask me.

I still support my local bike shop though, I get my services done there and if there’s any little things like chains, brake pads, etc…

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
You see how I said I didnt agree with the last point? That implies that I did agree with the others.
Did you read the first line about warranty?

Last edited by geckoGT; 17-08-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Taking the personal stuff out
Old 16-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #21
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

Interesting thought.

Using a car part as an example, I was after an O2 sensor for a 2007 Mini Cooper S R56, which is interchangeable (because they have the same engine) with the Citroen C3 and a couple of Peugeot's. The cheapest price I could get from a retailer here was Repco which listed it as a special order, $600 plus $100 shipping and 6 weeks delivery time coming from europe. The parts dealerships ranged from $650 up to $700 (BMW). Yes people this is an O2 sensor that comes in a box that is about 10x5x5 cm.

I found the exact same part, correct part number out of the US through an online part retailer for $200 AUD and $70 delivery, part arrived within 7 days.

Repco could order the same part from the same place I did, put $100 markup on it and still deliver it to the customer $330 cheaper than what they originally quoted me. Not bad for a total of about 15 mins of work for them. Added to that the delivery time would be a lot shorter too.
Old 16-08-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Interesting thought.

Using a car part as an example, I was after an O2 sensor for a 2007 Mini Cooper S R56, which is interchangeable (because they have the same engine) with the Citroen C3 and a couple of Peugeot's. The cheapest price I could get from a retailer here was Repco which listed it as a special order, $600 plus $100 shipping and 6 weeks delivery time coming from europe. The parts dealerships ranged from $650 up to $700 (BMW). Yes people this is an O2 sensor that comes in a box that is about 10x5x5 cm.

I found the exact same part, correct part number out of the US through an online part retailer for $200 AUD and $70 delivery, part arrived within 7 days.

Repco could order the same part from the same place I did, put $100 markup on it and still deliver it to the customer $330 cheaper than what they originally quoted me. Not bad for a total of about 15 mins of work for them. Added to that the delivery time would be a lot shorter too.
Yes but if the part fails two weeks later or does not fit REPCO have, by law, to wear that cost and hope they can recover it from their supplier and if they had fitted it would also have to cover the labour.

I went down the import track many years ago with computer bits and while it can be quite profitable will bite you on the bum in a BIG way when it all goes wrong.
Old 16-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #23
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Did you read the first line about warranty?
What has warranty got to do with anything regarding my reponse to the point of low volume versus high volume buying?
That would fall under wages as it would be an overhead to running the business. It doesnt affect the buying power one bit.

Last edited by geckoGT; 16-08-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Taking the personal stuff out
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #24
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

My last set of tires from Tire Rack took 6 days from payment to delivery to me, air frieght to Melbourne, then sea / road freight to my door in Hobart!

Total cost, including frieght was around 50% of buying them local. While I do my best to support local businesses, the difference is simply too much to ignore I'm afraid.

Will be ordering another set of tires from them shortly.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #25
max_torq
From the Futura

If the product has a license, then that is cost to be defrayed among the local customers, but also licensed products also have a production delay, plus local variations in build quality, usually from cost cutting. Just buy direct from the originating country; cheaper, faster and better. This is for any media, any software, any IT etc etc...
Old 16-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #26
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Interesting thought.

Exactly. And if by chance you get a bad one, but you chose a good supplier, you can fork out the dough to ship it back for a warranty replacment and still end up a long way in front.
Old 16-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #27
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Amazon and Dick Smith are both retailers (in the ops example) I am sure Amazon would have a better buying price than Dick Smith - hence what Trippy stated would be correct

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 03:07 PM   #28
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Amazon and Dick Smith are both retailers (in the ops example) I am sure Amazon would have a better buying price than Dick Smith - hence what Trippy stated would be correct
Yes, Amazon would have better buying power than DSE.
But DSE has better buying power than Joe Public.
DSE can buy from a wholesaler.
Joe Public has to buy from a retailer.
Old 16-08-2011, 03:34 PM   #29
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
You don't buy it. Just like when the Australian retailer don't have what you want, you don't buy off them.
What if its a unique product that you'd really like but the US seller won't deal with you because you're not in America? There has got to be a way around it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #30
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I buy all my mountain bike gear through a large online company in the UK. Because it’s dirt cheap! Can get high end parts for hundreds less than in Aus...Shipping usually takes 5-8 days and if I spend over $300 in a single transaction I get free shipping.

No brainer if you ask me.

I still support my local bike shop though, I get my services done there and if there’s any little things like chains, brake pads, etc…
Wiggle is awesome. Just ordered some new running shoes through them. The rrp on them here is $260, I paid $130 from them shipped.

Same with a K&N filter. $150 here for the pug, picked one up from the UK for $60 landed.

There is no way that the difference in price on those items can be justified.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post