Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #1
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up LT Focus

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257313001382E5
Quote:
The latest Ford car review:
Ford Focus range
Fri, 7 Sep 2007

WE SAID this two years ago when the last Focus was launched, but now we are sure about it: if Ford does not become a force to be reckoned with in the high-flying small-car segment with the safer, better-value and broader-spectrum LT Focus, then Australians simply cannot spot a great car if it slaps them across the face. Even against new rivals from Toyota and Nissan, the latest Focus is one of those rare vehicles that brings pleasure to both the head and the heart. Drive one before you buy anything else in the sub-$25,000 segment.

A MUCH more rounded proposition than its edgy LR Focus predecessor, the LS benefited from significant increases in space, refinement and performance, and many buyers responded. Under the stubby bonnet lies a gutsy 107kW/185Nm 2.0-litre twin-cam four-cylinder engine, mated to a five-speed manual or four-speed sequential shift automatic gearbox. But the real important thing lay underneath these – a four-wheel independent suspension system that sees the Focus lead its class for driving pleasure and overall dynamics. Five models were sold here – the base CL, followed by the LX, Zetec, Ghia and hot hatch class-leading XR5 Turbo.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Had an LS Zetec A4 for a few days last week and they're a very nice drive. Well balanced, good brakes and felt very solid. The 2.0 felt gutsy but a manual would've been awesome. It was a finalist in Wheels COTY 2 years ago! Now I know why.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
TROYAS
Starter Motor

I was dissapointed in the interior :( My parents have a 2004 model Focus, and I expected the LT (and the LS) to have the same high quality materials (I only just started looking as I'm now in the market for a new car of my own). Anyway, I had a look inside, and thought - What happened to the quality? :S The inside door handles are flimsy looking and feel cheap. Coming from the LR Focus into the LT with the cheaper plasticy interior was kinda sad. Now I'm not sure what to get :(
TROYAS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
FoMoKid

Have you had a look a the mazda3? How does the interior compare to the 3? I too am thinking about a new small car and it is pretty much a choice between the focus and 3.

2008 LV FOCUS XR5 MOONDUST SILVER
FoMoKid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoKid
Have you had a look a the mazda3? How does the interior compare to the 3? I too am thinking about a new small car and it is pretty much a choice between the focus and 3.
Almost identical cars engineering wise. Few small changes with suspension and stud pattern and the Mazda3 has a more fuel heavy tune. Only thing that sets them apart is interior and exterior style, and build quality.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
FoMoKid

Understand they share basic architecture, but which has the better build quality?

2008 LV FOCUS XR5 MOONDUST SILVER
FoMoKid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
TROYAS
Starter Motor

I liked the ineterior of the 3 over the Focus, but i think the exterior is dating :S The interior of the 3 didn't feel cheap, and it didn't feel that something would snap off if I touched it. Ive heard that the new 3 is coming out in a year or two.... so worst case scenario for me is I have to wait 2 years :(
Still look at the Focus though - it's great to drive, and maybe I'm being too picky.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #8
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROYAS
I liked the ineterior of the 3 over the Focus, but i think the exterior is dating :S The interior of the 3 didn't feel cheap, and it didn't feel that something would snap off if I touched it. Ive heard that the new 3 is coming out in a year or two.... so worst case scenario for me is I have to wait 2 years :(
Still look at the Focus though - it's great to drive, and maybe I'm being too picky.
Im quite surprised you actually have that opinion, i've always believed that the Mazda 3 interior fell hard and unwelcoming, the focus had that more european soft feel in my opinion, each to thier own i guess!

And on the topic, the next gen focus is due out in 2009-10 also.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #9
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Understand they share basic architecture, but which has the better build quality?
Let me put it this way: It ain't the car that comes from South Africa.

The Mazda is a nice car to drive, but Ford should be able to trump Mazda (and Toyota), as the price is right, and the Focus is a great package. I'd have one over an Astra every day.

marcos - Don't expect to see the new Focus in Australia until we produce them. That being said, Ford will keep chucking stuff at the MKII Focus to keep them competitive until they roll down the Broadmeadows line.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

The Focus and 3 both share a Volvo based platform thats used on the S40. Have a close look at the wheel base on them and you can tell.
IMHO, the interior on the 3 looks great but the jellybean styling has aged badly and the Focus is still looking fresh by comparison.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
BlackLS

Quote:
Japanese vs South Africa

Not so much the parts, but the way its put together. A loose interior trim screw is not a major structural problem but if it rattles and shakes around for 15,000kms before taking it back to Ford to get it fixed, can change someones perception greatly over a well built car to something thats full of problems.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 12:20 PM   #12
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those that are concerned about the interior quality of the LS/LT Focus need not worry, I can't remember ever having to repair any interior on any model focus since they were released in Australia.
I wonder if people relate to light touch/feel controls as cheap? Anyone?
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #13
TROYAS
Starter Motor

Looking at the interior materials of the 04 Focus, and then the current one, theres just no comparison... the dash and door trims are far inferior. The door handles feel like they'll stay in one piece, it has an overall nice feel to it - kinda soft and leathery. The current Focus on this otherhand.... The controls felt alright though.
I'd be willing to pay the extra thousand for a well built car (possibly more) something that I'd be happy to drive in. I'm hanging out for the Mondeo now - more money, but money well spent if I enjoy being in the car...
Old 07-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #14
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Looks ok IMO, but the strip on the side shoulda stayed!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post