Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #1
AUTickford
XD197

Default diff chatter

I have a s1 forte v8 auto,when you go full lock and boot it[sensibly doing u turns in traffic]The diff makes a real nasty grinding,chatter noise and goes single wheeler as opposed to the lsd working normally taking off in a straight line.I was going to have a crack at the redline friction modifier when i service it soon but havent used this before,apparently its designed to stop chatter in clutch type lsd,s but being that the au is the cone type clutch i was wondering if it would do the same thing.Any ideas or does anyone use this in their lsd? oh yeah last time i serviced it i used lsd oil and penrite lsd additive 7098 but that service was done about 40000 km ago at a guess.

AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=108713
sounds like maybe you have a similar problem?

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
AUTickford
XD197

Nup mines fine in a straight line it mostly does it when at full lock,doing u turns etc.
Old 15-07-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
AUTickford
XD197

Do you guys even use an additive when you service your diff because your meant to,oh well ill give it a crack and let ya know how i go.
Old 15-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Hey bud, mine does this from time to time. My mechanic suggested that the next time it does it to go do figure 8s (not spinning, just idling) in an empty car park as that seems to help realign the cones. Dunno if it's BS or not, but it seems to work for me.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #6
AUTickford
XD197

Thanks alot private9 ill give it a go,it would make sense if the cones are starting to embed themselves into the housing this might set them into a different position and bring back the lsd effect[a guy at a trans and diff place told me the falcon diffs embed the cones into the housing when they are about to die and when they do its time for a new diff,he did a truckload of cop cars and they all had the same problem]thanks again!
Old 15-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

No worries at all! That noise they make though is soooo damn frustrating sounds for all the world like there's someone under the car with a jack hammer or something! Bloody aussie cars and they're dodgy LSDs!
Old 16-07-2007, 12:35 AM   #8
AUTickford
XD197

Haha i am a bit impatient at times
Old 16-07-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Put one wheel on grass or dirt, and the other on the road, and floor it. Apparently, this help align the LSD clutches. Havn't had the problem, so I don't know if that is true or not.

Also, make sure you have added the LSD adative (aka, Stink)

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

http://www.fordforums.com.au/search....archid=2023125
have a read through some of these diff chatter is pretty comon in the AU LSD IRS. usally a good synthetic oil and additive will quieten them down a bit unless there is a more serious problem ''

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Put one wheel on grass or dirt, and the other on the road, and floor it. Apparently, this help align the LSD clutches. Havn't had the problem, so I don't know if that is true or not.

This was the other suggestion my mechanic made.