Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 14-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default 8 yr old boy watches his pet turtle get eaten

http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-fr...-1225938504314

how terrible is this. i have a 9yr old daughter and if this happened to her, she'd be absolutely devasated. i feel real sorry for this kid. to donate your pet to a local marine park because it had outgrown its tank and then watch it get eaten by an alligator. horrible.

Old 14-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
http://www.news.com.au/weird-true-fr...-1225938504314

how terrible is this. i have a 9yr old daughter and if this happened to her, she'd be absolutely devasated. i feel real sorry for this kid. to donate your pet to a local marine park because it had outgrown its tank and then watch it get eaten by an alligator. horrible.
Who cares?
I once tried to release a bluetongue after I had it for a pet for a few months, and a Wedgetail promptly flew down and took off with it.

People need to have a teaspoon of cement and harden up. Its good for kids to see their pet turtle get eaten. Makes a man out of him.

Last edited by Mad_Aussie; 14-10-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 14-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Officials at the water park said it was uncommon for the gators there to be interested in turtles
this one must have tasted better?
Old 14-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
KYSBF

smelt like a human...
Old 14-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you for real??? I hope no kids ever have the missfortune of being raised by you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Aussie
Who cares?
I once tried to release a bluetongue after I had it for a pet for a few months, and a Wedgetail promptly flew down and took off with it.

People need to have a teaspoon of cement and harden up. Its good for kids to see their pet turtle get eaten. Makes a man out of him.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 14-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Who cares?

i would hate for my son to go through this, you must not have any kids, because any self respecting parent couldnt have an opinion like yours
Old 14-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #7
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

Quote:
Its good for kids to see their pet turtle get eaten. Makes a man out of him.
Thats so horrible its making it into my sig haha
Old 14-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
buggo
[BU66OS]

I'm not a parent and even I realise that was a bit harsh.
The kid probably had it since it was a few weeks old, and had it long enough for it to outgrow its tank. I'm sure this kid said hi to it and fed it everyday after school and loved it. he grew up with it. Seeing it get eaten by a crocodile, hearing it's shell crush and flesh torn would traumatise this kid for years. He's only 8 years old ffs. How the ****** is it good for him??
If I saw that happen to a random turtle in the wild tomorow I'd be a bit shaken.
You need to eat a bucketful of fairy floss and grow a heart.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 14-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I feel bad for the boy but more for the staff how horrible would they be feeling in a sityation that was basically out of their control.
Old 14-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
i would hate for my son to go through this, you must not have any kids, because any self respecting parent couldnt have an opinion like yours
I'm so glad I got the PC brigade on my case.
There are too many kids these days that are brought up in a totally insulated world were everything is made of fairy floss and jellybeans.
Half of american kids don't even know that meat comes from animals and not just the supermarket. How is a kid going to handle having a friend or a relative dying when they can't cope with a turtle being eaten by one of its natural predators?

It's how life works. Yes, it's probably pretty upsetting for the kid, but for it to make international news? Give me a break. I've had pets die before. Try having your dog get bitten by a snake hundreds of kilometers from a vet, and having to put a bullet into it to save it from slowly dying in pain. That's horrendous.

Don't give me the 'its so horrible omg how could you say that you couldn't ever be a parent' etc etc horsecrap. Having your turtle eaten isn't horrible. The kid probably won't even remember it in five years.

People need a reality check.
Old 14-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get sad everytime one of my fish die, i wanna bury it instead of flush it =(
Old 14-10-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
I'm so glad I got the PC brigade on my case.
There are too many kids these days that are brought up in a totally insulated world were everything is made of fairy floss and jellybeans.
Half of american kids don't even know that meat comes from animals and not just the supermarket. How is a kid going to handle having a friend or a relative dying when they can't cope with a turtle being eaten by one of its natural predators?

It's how life works. Yes, it's probably pretty upsetting for the kid, but for it to make international news? Give me a break. I've had pets die before. Try having your dog get bitten by a snake hundreds of kilometers from a vet, and having to put a bullet into it to save it from slowly dying in pain. That's horrendous.

Don't give me the 'its so horrible omg how could you say that you couldn't ever be a parent' etc etc horsecrap. Having your turtle eaten isn't horrible. The kid probably won't even remember it in five years.

People need a reality check.
I see where your coming from, but there's a differene between a turtle dying and seeing it be mauled, especially when your only 8. The way an 8 year thinks compared to and 18 year old compared to a 28 year old is completly different.
I'm sure that sometimes something sparks the memory of your dog, and I'm sure you miss him. This kid will get reminded of this memory for years to come because he is so young.
If he was 5/10 years older, he would react different to it I'm sure. When his old enough for friends to get killed in accidents, relatives and parents dying he be older and able to understand why better.

BA XR8 Manual
Old 14-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must be a bad person because it made me laugh.

Though I don't have kids
Old 14-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
3vXT

Quote:
Who cares?

I think having and losing a pet is a good thing for children for obvious reasons but there is a big difference between waking up to find trevor the turtle 'asleep' in his tank and seeing him ripped apart by a crocodile. Especially considering the kid was 8 years old. I'm 28 years old and when my cat dies i'll be sad but its different to seeing her get torn apart and eaten.

It's not PC to avoid traumatising children, its just common sense.
Old 14-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
.... Makes a man out of him.
But REAL Men wouldn't be on the Internet. That's for nerds.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
I must be a bad person because it made me laugh.
While waiting to meet a customer on a site, I ripped out my phone and jumped on news.com. Made me chuckle too, so at least there's one other sicko out there.

While I'm sure that upset the kid - that's life. The food chain, luckily we're on top.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
But REAL Men wouldn't be on the Internet. That's for nerds.
Chuck Norris is on the internet, last time I checked he wasn't a nerd
Old 14-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #18
buggo
[BU66OS]

Quote:
Chuck Norris is on the internet, last time I checked he wasn't a nerd
It wasn't a Crocodile that ate the turtle, it was Chuck Norris

BA XR8 Manual
Old 14-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #19
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Who cares?

Your a nice bloke.
Old 14-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #20
Scott

I feel sorry for the little bugger but must admit I had a chuckle too.

Whilst not often in such spectacular fashion, this type of thing is just a part of being a fully paid member of the food chain. I'm sure most of us have a story about the terrible demise some of our pets met when we were growing up.

Chin up little bloke, plenty of turtles in the sea

edit - Besides, what a cracker of a story for his Dad to tell at his wedding!
Old 14-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Damn, when I was a kid I use to sneak a look at the old mans coronial photographs when I lived OS; stab wounds, guts, intestines, burns.

Such is life. I think some kids can understand life and get along with that, some can't.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 14-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #22
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Interesting observations - Yes life is tough, better get used to it...Tough on the 8 year old.... would it be as tough on him at 9, 16 .......26

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
While I'm sure that upset the kid - that's life.
I tend to agree. Stuff like this happens and it's no different to a family cat being mauled by a dog, or the family dog being mauled by a larger cat who was a friend of the smaller cat.

I have a 9 year old, I'd hate for him to see a pet get eaten, but at some point in his life, he is going see this kind of thing, whether it be in real life or on Youtube. You can't shelter them from the harsh realities of life. Otherwise, how will they learn.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
nstg8a

someone must have video'd it....

i had a bit of a chuckle too.... sucks to be near the bottom of the chain i guess.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thats pretty sad, If that happened to my pet turtle I'd be making sure that Aligator turns up on the local chinese restaurant menu.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #26
Danny
GT4.

Yeah I'm definitely against the PC brigade here on this one. Poor little dude seeing the Turtle get eaten but for it to make international news is astounding.

Mark my words. In about a year he will probably laugh about it too. It will NOT traumatise him long term, nor will it turn him into a psycho/gay/emo/trannie/serial killer.

Things like these are a child's very first experience of the finality of death. Admittedly it's wasn't as subtle as flushing ole nemo down the loo, but kids are resilient. He will probably chuckle about it come a couple years time.

-Dan
Old 14-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
nstg8a

i think different upbringings certainly create different amounts of 'tolerance'

i grew up on a farm so saw plenty of nature doing what nature does best... didnt do me any psychological harm.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:41 PM   #28
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Who cares?

Old 14-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #29
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

Stop posting pictures of me, man!
Old 14-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #30
GK351

cotton wool kid.
Closed Thread