Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #1
MallyKat

Smile Panel Beating - Short Course

So, typically, I get the idea to look into short courses through TAFE in panel beating, only to find that "due to lack of interest the course is no longer being run" starting last month...ONE month late!

Alas...Anyone know of anything I could look into? The short courses were 6 weeks long for $280 (according to a forum topic I found on it elsewhere) and they offered an 8 week crash course in spray painting aswell for $300...perfect! Yet, no more...

I'm also studying graphic design via correspondence - So i'm not after anything too heavy just yet, and may have to wait until I complete my current studies, keen to play with panel beating though Any ideas? Thanks!

MallyKat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 
Default Re: Panel Beating - Short Course

I was looking for some welding courses in Brisbane. Same thing.
Old 19-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
MallyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I was looking for some welding courses in Brisbane. Same thing.
Brisbane here too - what's with youth these days!? LOL. Ah well... I'll keep an eye out though...should email and see what else they offer.
Old 19-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I thought Panel Beating/Spray Painting was a 4 year apprenticeship?
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #5
MallyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
Could be - However I see no merit in that for myself, as I don't wish to have a career in it. TAFE offered short courses (as I mentioned in my original post, 6 and 8 weeks) which would be great! But, back to the drawing boards...lol
Old 19-03-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
It is, but doing a short course to understand the basics is what the lass is asking.

Bit like doing a 2 day first aid course doesn't make you a doctor... just gives you a bit of hands on experience and theory on the basics.

Hope this issue doesn't spread to other states. Would love to do some crash courses to help in the "backyard" work I want to do with cars... when I get a backyard that is!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 20-03-2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Sex change ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
Kryton

My suggestion would be to head on down to the local panel beaters, have a chat with them about what your intentions are and ask if they could give you an old panel to have some practice on.
Get a set of Dollys and some hammers and have a crack at it.
Make yourself known to them and they may just give you some free shop experience on the odd day.
Theres plenty of Youtube vids and other write ups out there to get you on your way.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
MallyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
It is, but doing a short course to understand the basics is what the lad is asking.

Bit like doing a 2 day first aid course doesn't make you a doctor... just gives you a bit of hands on experience and theory on the basics.

Hope this issue doesn't spread to other states. Would love to do some crash courses to help in the "backyard" work I want to do with cars... when I get a backyard that is!
Lass* ;)

Exactly! Just a bit of know how and the short courses also offered alot of practical work + lecturer assistance...a shame they cancelled it :(
Old 19-03-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
MallyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
My suggestion would be to head on down to the local panel beaters, have a chat with them about what your intentions are and ask if they could give you an old panel to have some practice on.
Make yourself known to them and they may just give you some free shop experience on the odd day.
Theres plenty of Youtube vids and other write ups out there to get you on your way.
Thanks Davway...may just do that!
Old 20-03-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallyKat
Lass* ;)

Exactly! Just a bit of know how and the short courses also offered alot of practical work + lecturer assistance...a shame they cancelled it :(
Please accept my apologies ;)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe check back every now and then and see if the panel beating short course is offered again? Interest could fluctuate and maybe it'll be offered again in the future. Your calls would show there's interest too.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Seen how busy panel shops are these days? (even busier than when i did my apprenticeship 10+ years ago). I cant see why they are going to take the time out to show/train/learn someone for free. These days most panel shops are R & R (remove and replace). Maybe a better place to see proper panel beating skills would be an old vehicle restorer, coach builder or some metal fabrication places, either way with OH&S laws the way they are and the nature of the trade, i cant see the OP getting any "free shop experience on the odd day."
Old 20-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #13
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ depends on what the lass looks like

I'm guessing people still do school work experience in panel shops, can't see why they wouldn't be able to help you out. Some might be too busy or not interested, but others might give you a crack.
Old 20-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Dont get me wrong, I hope they do give free work lessons to her. I just cant see it happening. Work experience etc is covered insurance wise, this will be the main issue i think. What if the OP hurts themselves??
Old 20-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My idea would be goto a wreckers, get a couple of doors, qtr panels etc and a dolly set and start working on it at home.

Once you have the basics start stripping the doors back and respraying.

Get some tools paint, dolly set and filler.

You could go to an auto paint shop and get spray can of paint.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did both courses a few years ago. You didn't miss much. The paint course was prep n paint a commy guard. The panel one consisted of the guard getting hit with a hammer and having to dolly it out. Both mine were done at geelong tafe at night. No way a panel shop will let you go.in and play due to oh n s and liability. I work for a rto who is about to start basic mech courses. It may be within their scope to offer paint and panel courses. Lemme check.
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i was young i did what they called a 'pre-apprenticeship' course. it was basically a short course on welding, motor repair, panel beating, etc all rolled into one six month course.
Old 20-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
So, typically, I get the idea to look into short courses through TAFE in panel beating, only to find that "due to lack of interest the course is no longer being run" starting last month...ONE month late!

Alas...Anyone know of anything I could look into? The short courses were 6 weeks long for $280 (according to a forum topic I found on it elsewhere) and they offered an 8 week crash course in spray painting aswell for $300...perfect! Yet, no more...

I'm also studying graphic design via correspondence - So i'm not after anything too heavy just yet, and may have to wait until I complete my current studies, keen to play with panel beating though Any ideas? Thanks!
I know that people on here have offered / opened their home garages to people to come and help spin some spanners and help out with vehicle repairs. Nothing in it for them aside from passing on skills.

Great way to get to know others on the forum and to pick up skills you can use yourself.

Why not start a thread offering your help. ie 'Brisbane - Offering FREE help to learn car skills'. I think you would find a few takers. Post some pics of the work too

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

The thing about this sort of thing, is it's basic stuff. Once you learn the basics, you then use it and hone your skill. That's when you become good. I see no reason why the basics can't be taught to someone within a week. I taught myself everything i know, with the help of asking people some questions here and there, and doing a bit of reading up on how it's done, for different ideas. If the op was in Sydney, i'd be happy to teach them and others basic principles in return for their new knowledge being put to use on some of my cars for the time they are there, but alas, a lack of insurance kills off any form of ability to help a young person out. To the op, do you know anyone who restores cars? Friend of the family? It might pay to get involved and spend time with them and ask questions etc, as well as calling up tafe regularly as previously mentioned. These forums offer lots of advice too as a last resort if you can't find any hands on experience. Sadly, if you asked for work experience similar to what schools offer, suspect you would be stuck cleaning floors and doing little else. Good luck with your learning.
Old 20-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

If you live in Melbourne you are in luck.

http://www.handbuilt.net.au/seminars.shtml
Old 20-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
MallyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
My idea would be goto a wreckers, get a couple of doors, qtr panels etc and a dolly set and start working on it at home.

Once you have the basics start stripping the doors back and respraying.

Get some tools paint, dolly set and filler.

You could go to an auto paint shop and get spray can of paint.
That was my thought too! Find an old panel no one would miss and YouTube it LOL. Not sure yet whether I will play with paint...i've been told by many (including my Dad) that the paint can cause fertility issues/birth defects for woman...need to research that more first...I love the idea, during grade 12 I wanted to get into airbrushing lol, however didn't due to that issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG65TE
I did both courses a few years ago. You didn't miss much. The paint course was prep n paint a commy guard. The panel one consisted of the guard getting hit with a hammer and having to dolly it out. Both mine were done at geelong tafe at night. No way a panel shop will let you go.in and play due to oh n s and liability. I work for a rto who is about to start basic mech courses. It may be within their scope to offer paint and panel courses. Lemme check.
Considering I know nothing yet, I bet I missed a bit! :P That'd be great, I'm in the Brisbane area though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
When i was young i did what they called a 'pre-apprenticeship' course. it was basically a short course on welding, motor repair, panel beating, etc all rolled into one six month course.
That could be cool! However a course that long would need to wait until after I complete my current one...thanks for the suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable
The thing about this sort of thing, is it's basic stuff. Once you learn the basics, you then use it and hone your skill. That's when you become good. I see no reason why the basics can't be taught to someone within a week. I taught myself everything i know, with the help of asking people some questions here and there, and doing a bit of reading up on how it's done, for different ideas. If the op was in Sydney, i'd be happy to teach them and others basic principles in return for their new knowledge being put to use on some of my cars for the time they are there, but alas, a lack of insurance kills off any form of ability to help a young person out. To the op, do you know anyone who restores cars? Friend of the family? It might pay to get involved and spend time with them and ask questions etc, as well as calling up tafe regularly as previously mentioned. These forums offer lots of advice too as a last resort if you can't find any hands on experience. Sadly, if you asked for work experience similar to what schools offer, suspect you would be stuck cleaning floors and doing little else. Good luck with your learning.
B/F (username - lilmattie) is making plans to restore an xa/xb coupe - hence my interest. His family have done a few cars, and have a few more lined up however none of them anytime soon. But if I get into it and learn now then maybe I can be of more help than I would be at the moment when the time comes to do them Thankyou Landau Stable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
If you live in Melbourne you are in luck.

http://www.handbuilt.net.au/seminars.shtml
Alas, I'm not! Near Brisbane :( That would have been perfect though! Thanks for searching!
Old 20-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #22
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Alas, I'm not! Near Brisbane :( That would have been perfect though! Thanks for searching!
Me too, but I spend so much time in Melbourne I am seriously considering enrolling in it.
Old 20-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Some years ago I did a vehicle restoration class once a week (2-3 hour sessions) for a couple of years, learned lots about metal forming, metal finishing, welding, shrinking, welding rust sections in, etc. even repairing plastic bumpers. This was at Batman TAFE in Coburg, Vic. Put it to good use at home with my restorations and other bits and pieces that I've done.

IMO a course like that would be far more useful than just introductory courses where you dont get to do much, nor have the instructors show you personally how its done when you get into trouble or something doesnt work out properly.

Perhaps these restoration courses are available in Brisbane?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2012, 01:08 AM   #24
MallyKat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Some years ago I did a vehicle restoration class once a week (2-3 hour sessions) for a couple of years, learned lots about metal forming, metal finishing, welding, shrinking, welding rust sections in, etc. even repairing plastic bumpers. This was at Batman TAFE in Coburg, Vic. Put it to good use at home with my restorations and other bits and pieces that I've done.

IMO a course like that would be far more useful than just introductory courses where you dont get to do much, nor have the instructors show you personally how its done when you get into trouble or something doesnt work out properly.

Perhaps these restoration courses are available in Brisbane?
That course sounds great! I think it may be easier just to call and ask about what they offer...have horrible navigation of the TAFE website lol. I don't suppose you remember the course name? Thanks!