Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
pundit
Gazza!

Default Washing machine, Front loader Vs Top loader

I am in the market at the moment for a new washing machine... At the moment I have a top loader, some cheap cheap Beaumatic (I think) 5kg job.. It isn't very good but was the right price to get the job done when I needed it...

So I've been trying to figure out the pros and cons of top front loader vs top loader...

From what I've noticed in the past a front loader does a better quality wash.. Or is it just mine is too nasty to be able to do a decent wash for a top loader..

Any advice guys?

Got a budget of around $800.. Could push it a little more if needed..

11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Washing machine, Front loader Vs Top loader

definitely front loader......a lot less water and so much simpler

we've had a samsung 7 kilo now for years

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
Motorbreath310

I just bought a Samsung 7.5kg top loader that has no agitator in the centre. So much easier not having things getting wrapped around it. Came in under 500 from the good guys and thats with a 5 year warranty.

Hate front loaders.....
Motorbreath310 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post

... and a hell of a lot noisier

Some days I think the house is caving in!
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a front loader, and every time we go to was clothes it always leaves dirt stains on them, dont no what the hell is going on lol

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Front loaders are the devil. Top loaders are where it's at. Doing the washing is a pain enough without having to crouch down to put clothes in and out. Plus you can't open them once they have been turned on. Those missed socks have to go unwashed then.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

My family are staunch top loaders but since I moved out I got a front loader and will never look back. Clothes last longer, get cleaned better and cost less to run. Only problems I see is the extra cost at purchase kg for kg and the soap is slightly more expensive.

Oh, I have seen a 'top load front loader' being advertised... No joke!

Whatever you go with, read the user reviews.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

We've got an Asko 7k front loader. Less water used as it only uses enough to wash the load be it small or large. Quiet and reliable.

Would never go back to the old top loader.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
Benny D

Quote:

i also have a 7kg sansung front loader ive had for years.

nice n quiet and got the job done. only just a few days ago the door sensor has crapped itself so now hunting for parts :/.....
Benny D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when we bought the front loader the wife started a new job and i had to take over the household "doings".....well I have my business not far from here and can work my own hours so it made sense

anyhow.....the first time I did the washing it was "what the bloody hell"........bend down to load the thing, bend down to unload then lift the washing into the basket......stuff this

well I went straight out and bought two sheets of MDF, some paint, a couple of hinges and some backing ply and made up a cabinet to stand the machine on, it is the full length of the washhouse (over 2.4 mtrs) and also supports the dryer

I made the height so that the clothes trolley slips just below the door of the washing machine,.......dead easy now, pull the clothes straight out of the machine and into the trolley

I put a little edge around the front and two sides to stop the machine from "walking".....a problem that is common with these machines

I built a clothes hopper in between the two machines to make it easier

when the boss seen it......she was not happy, she said....." I had to put up with it on the floor all this time and you could have made me one of these"

I've since had to make 5 of them for various neighbours and friends

I use only cold water and use nothing but cold power front loader.......excellent results and the clothes last longer

no way would I go back to the old toppy!......

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny D View Post
i also have a 7kg sansung front loader ive had for years.

nice n quiet and got the job done. only just a few days ago the door sensor has crapped itself so now hunting for parts :/.....

ebay mate.......heaps of parts on there......I broke the door handle off ours not long after we had it, my fault, didn't wait for it to unlock and i was pulling on it

dead simple fix as well, undo the screws around the glass and the whole door comes off and the glass and handle separates and reassembles very simply

I think the new handle cost me about $6 or something similar

Old 04-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

How many people live in your house.
We tried a 7.5k front loader a few yers ago, it lasted 3 months before the wife gave me the ultimatum.
Problem was that to get a decent wash, you couldnt put too much in it, which meant she was always doing med sized loads as there are 6 of us.
Anything more than a half load and it didnt wash properly.
The other issue was the constant need to do maintenance cycles to stop mould forming in the rubber seals.
We sold it to the elderly couple next door, suits them fine.

We went back to a non agitator type top loader which specifies front loader low suds detergent, never looked back.
I cant think of anyone with a family who owns a front loader and is happy with it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
Front loaders are the devil. Top loaders are where it's at. Doing the washing is a pain enough without having to crouch down to put clothes in and out. Plus you can't open them once they have been turned on. Those missed socks have to go unwashed then.
Peuty, if you find any odd socks - please return them.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Living at home with the parents, our 93' Whirlpool top loader gave up the ghost and I offered to buy the new washing machine, was eying off front loaders, read up about how much more efficient they are, easier on clothes, blah blah blah.

I asked them which one they wanted, they said top loader, because:

1) You can add clothes to it after the cycle has started
2) Old people don't bend over too well

So I looked into top loaders, the new ones seem to be very wide these days, so we could only get like a 7KG capacity one, and unfortunately Mummy dearest has ignored technology since the 80s so she wanted something with knobs and dials like our broken one.

Well that just doesn't happen these days unfortunately, they have more features than my "smart phone" (which does everything except make phone calls).

So I went to youtube and earned my youtube degree in washing machine repairs, me and the old man ended up pulling apart the old washing machine and we identified that the drive coupler that connects the motor to the gearbox snapped its teeth.

Managed to order a new one from the USA, and now it works again!

Me and the old man have a habit of breaking everything we touch, but so far we've fixed the toilet leaking, the washing machine and done a fair bit of work on my project car together.

So next time something breaks, pull it apart and have a go (unless its on the 240V side of things, then keep away).
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #15
Dusty1
Giddy up!

On my second Bosch front loader in 15 years. Got 11 years out of the first. Would never use a top loader again.

If I was in the market, I know Whirlpool have a 8 kg (I think) with a 1400 rpm spin cycle ( http://www.whirlpool.com.au/app.cnt/...1/prodid/35704).

When mine goes to washing machine heaven, I'll be in for a Whirlpool. My Bosch 8 kgs spins at 1400, doesn't move - never has, and it takes less time to dry the washing.

I have a four year old daughter, The Boss, and twin boys who about 15 months. I am a stay at home dad, and have always done the washing here for the past 15 years, and my own since I was 8. I am very fussy about washing and would only use a front loader. I wash ever second day or else.

I put a load in the machine at night, set the timer to finish about 745 in the morning so I can hang them out.

If you can get to a Costco, they sell Omo front loader poweder that I put into a kilo container, and it works out to be about $5 a kilo. You only need a teaspoon per wash, that's what the repair man said to me, most of these wear out because of too much powder.

I've never used a prewash cycle, prewash to me is when the clothes are on the floor or in the basket.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
We tried a 7.5k front loader a few yers ago, it lasted 3 months before the wife gave me the ultimatum.
Problem was that to get a decent wash, you couldnt put too much in it, which meant she was always doing med sized loads as there are 6 of us.
The other issue was the constant need to do maintenance cycles to stop mould forming in the rubber seals.

We went back to a non agitator type top loader which specifies front loader low suds detergent, never looked back.
I cant think of anyone with a family who owns a front loader and is happy with it.
We bought ours after reading a Choice magazine washing machine review.
To get 7kgs they really had to stuff the sheets in HARD, and it still washed them fine it seems.........well the top of the range did.
The "K-Mart" specials were a dismal failure, I've never heard of mould on the seals either.

For the OP........ this might help to start with, the members section is much more detailed.
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...ing-guide.aspx
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mould on the seals is caused by moisture left in the barrel, leave your door open at all times when not in use......wipe all exterior surfaces and pay particular attention to the rubber door seal

about once a month place a cupfull of vinegar in the suds draw and let her do a complete cycle without any clothes......this will clean all the scum out of your machine and your hoses

we have 3 adults in our family, I wash every other day, two loads, then once a week all the bedding

so its gets an average workout I guess

Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Cup of vinegar as Poppa Smurf says, but run it through your longest, hottest wash.

I always leave the door ajar. Bit of a challenge with a Euro laundry, but it works.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
We bought ours after reading a Choice magazine washing machine review.
To get 7kgs they really had to stuff the sheets in HARD, and it still washed them fine it seems.........well the top of the range did.
The "K-Mart" specials were a dismal failure, I've never heard of mould on the seals either.

For the OP........ this might help to start with, the members section is much more detailed.
http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and...ing-guide.aspx
Ours cost $800 from Good Guys, was a Samsung.
There are better units, but i couldnt justify $1200+ for a fancy front loader when a top loader does the job for less.

For mine, a front loader is like Blu Ray to DVD and ipads to Notebooks.
The makers needed something different to get people spending.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
mould on the seals is caused by moisture left in the barrel, leave your door open at all times when not in use......wipe all exterior surfaces and pay particular attention to the rubber door seal

about once a month place a cupfull of vinegar in the suds draw and let her do a complete cycle without any clothes......this will clean all the scum out of your machine and your hoses

we have 3 adults in our family, I wash every other day, two loads, then once a week all the bedding

so its gets an average workout I guess
Agreed, but as our laundry was also the back door and little fingers were always passing through, leaving the door open wasnt an option.
The Vinegar trick was the go, but as i said, 3 months and it was all over.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Front loaders were flogged up here by everyone including the Govt when things were a bit dry a few years ago.
They do use only a 1/3 the water of a top loader, problem is they use 3 time the electricity to do it.
So Power bill or water bill - take your pick.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #22
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Its not hard to raise a front loader up so its even easier than a top loader, the thing to watch out for is most frontloaders now days they heat the water (only have one hose connection)this is where your power is going, probably not that bad though if you run a electric water heater but will cost you more if running a gas or solar water heater.
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

This is what I did:

Full rated load with heavy dirt (towels etc), choose the wash cycle that goes for at least 1.5 hrs. My shortest cycle is 30min, longest is around 2.5hrs. I found no difference between the 1.5 and 2.5hr wash options.

Full load, clothing. 1 hr was more than enough.

Half load clothes - 30 minutes.

When I 'freshen up' clothes that have been sitting in the wardrobe for a few seasons I just filled the machine to capacity, chose the 30min option and let it go. 1 problem - 30 min is usually half load and less water right? So I just fill a 9l watering can and pour it into the machine through the slide out soap drawer ;)

With 6 people, I would have not got a 7.5kg machine anyway, unless you wanted to do a load ever 2nd day. I find with machines you should always go the biggest you can fit / afford. They always have a setting to wash 'less' but you can never go over the rated limit for good results!

There is also a stigma associated with front loaders that they take hours to wash. Not so, I think all these days have a quick wash option. What I did was write the duration of each wash cycle next to the marker on the dial to help remind me how long each went for.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #24
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed, but as our laundry was also the back door and little fingers were always passing through, leaving the door open wasnt an option.
The Vinegar trick was the go, but as i said, 3 months and it was all over.
mate I know about little fingers....I think I counted around 20 sets here over xmas and there is nearly always 3 sets here (their second home) into everything

not easy!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
My family are staunch top loaders but since I moved out I got a front loader and will never look back. Clothes last longer, get cleaned better and cost less to run. Only problems I see is the extra cost at purchase kg for kg and the soap is slightly more expensive.

Oh, I have seen a 'top load front loader' being advertised... No joke!

Whatever you go with, read the user reviews.
go to big w & buy large boxes cheaper that way or look for special's & buy up
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
Haaa... Exactly what I do. About 4 years ago I bought 4x10kg boxes of Spree from Big W at something silly like $18-20 a box and I have finally opened my last box last week.... Don't think the stuff goes off, haven't seen a drop in quality...

Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #27
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we use the liquid cold power, (blue container) lasts a helluva long time........I agree...grab it when it's on special and store it.......doesn't go off

Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #28
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

Have a front loader and personally would never touch a top loader. From when living at home days top loaders don't look after your clothes. We have had ours for 4 years had to replace one of the seals that split but considering how often it gets used with twin boys in the house I'm surprised that's the only thing that has gone wrong. Only thing that Might be annoying is when it's on the spin cycle as it is very loud.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I had a top loader and was convinced to get a front loader. What a PIA. Didn't seem to wash the clothes too well and took 3 times as long to do it. If you want to do a few loads that's 1/2 a day gone just waiting for the washing to finish.

Pulled it out and went back to a top loader.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l View Post
So long as you don't do what I did when we first got ours.

Bought a huge box of detergent (on special of course,) after the first wash I found I'd bought top loader stuff instead of the front loader type