Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Chinese consider building cars in Australia to keep prices low

Although unlikely, it would be great for the local industry. With shipping becoming more and more expensive its not surprising some are considering building cars here. We are also one of the lowest-cost western countries and have a supportive government for manufacture and have established infrastructure, we are also one of the largest markets in the Asian Pacific region so it makes sense.

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/c...421-1dpp7.html

Quote:
Chinese car maker Hawtai considers local assembly option to help keep prices low.

Emerging Chinese car brand Hawtai is considering local assembly in Australia as part of its plan to sell cars here.

A spokesman for Hawtai, commercial manager Ralf Jiang, told Drive at the Shanghai motor show this week that shipping cars to Australian in CKD (complete knockdown) packs and assembling them in Australia was a being considered as a way to make sure its cars were price competitive in Australia.

"Maybe we can find a local co-operator to build us a CKD (complete knockdown) plant there," Jiang said. "This may be possible ... we can discuss about this with our potential co-operator and see which is the best way to enter the market."

Whether it builds cars here or not - and the likelihood considering all the economic factors is not - it seems Hawtai is committed to selling cars in Australia, but probably no earlier than 2013.

This date is actually a blow-out from an optimistic estimate given by a Hawtai executive to Drive at the 2010 Beijing motor show. Then, there was hope of a mid-2011 launch in Australia, although then there was no mention of local assembly being part of the plan.

The impediment to local sale - as it is with many of the ambitious Chinese brands - is the lack of right-hand drive cars. But Jiang told Drive that issue was being addressed.

"Right-hand drive of all our cars are under development," he said. "We will probably have them in half-a-year to one year."

Jiang confirmed that Hawtai was in touch with two potential distributors and was investigating others in Australia. Negotiations had not progressed far as yet, but a research trip to Australia was planned for late 2011.

"We wait till right-hand drive is finished, keep in touch, and when that is finished we can develop the market together," Jiang said.

Models that Hawtai would bring to Australia as part of a launch range would include the B35 SUV and B11 mid-size sedan, both shown in production form at the Shanghai show. While they come fitted with petrol engines, they also offer the option of turbo-diesel engines (supplied by VM Motori) a rarity for Chinese cars.

"Australia is a very good market for passenger cars and also SUVs and because we are producing these cars I think it is good for the Australian market," Jiang said.

Until releasing its own models Hawtai was best known for its recycled Hyundai SUVs, including the original Santa Fe and the Terracan.

Apart from Hawtai, Haima was the other significant Chinese brand this week expressed open interest in entering the Australian market, joining Great Wall Motors, Chery and Geely.

Most brands surveyed by Drive expressed interest, but cited right-hand-drive and Australian Design Regulations as significant impediments.

Lifan, a brand which last year told Drive it would like to export to Australia and perhaps even manufacture here, had backed right away from that plan this year, citing RHD as an issue for a number of years.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
nstg8a

Default Re: Chinese consider building cars in Australia to keep prices low

Quote:
Most brands surveyed by Drive expressed interest, but cited right-hand-drive and Australian Design Regulations as significant impediments
god bless adr's...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.hawtai-auto.com/english/

That almost-Bentley-clone on the opening page of thier website looks the business.

I'm once again reminded of the way people used to openly laugh at Japanese cars right up to the mid to late seventies. "They'll never amount to anything and always be tinny little cheap crapbuckets"...

Sure they will...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

That almost-Bentley-clone on the opening page of thier website looks the business.

I'm once again reminded of the way people used to openly laugh at Japanese cars right up to the mid to late seventies. "They'll never amount to anything and always be tinny little cheap crapbuckets"...

Sure they will...
yup... 20 years time everything will be dominantly chinese. its only the dodgy quality control that lets some chinese goods down now. once they sort that out the chinese manufacturers are a behemoth that will be unstoppable.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #5
justbrett

Hope their cars are faster than their webpage ...
Daily: '08 FPV F6X Territory, #82

Project 1: XA Sedan, Barra swap incoming
justbrett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbrett
Hope their cars are faster than their webpage ...
Just tried it myself...like going back to dial up!
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Does the use of CKD kits remove import duty etc?

Australian workers would cost more then Chinese workers, but cars arent very space efficient (too much air) whereas I suppose you could pack components much more efficiently then the assembled product.

Quote:
Most brands surveyed by Drive expressed interest, but cited right-hand-drive and Australian Design Regulations as significant impediments
Thank you Australian Government!! Now they just need to make it so they have to pass crash tests at a certain rating as well!!
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Does the use of CKD kits remove import duty etc?

Australian workers would cost more then Chinese workers, but cars arent very space efficient (too much air) whereas I suppose you could pack components much more efficiently then the assembled product.

Thank you Australian Government!! Now they just need to make it so they have to pass crash tests at a certain rating as well!!
Yeah... and start to match the ADR with current performance of AUssie cars and make them meet that standard.
Old 26-04-2011, 01:58 AM   #9
barra265t
Banned

Someone talk hawtai or some other weird Chinese manufacturer into taking one of our previous model falcons say EF/EL, reverse engineer it and build improved clones. Then I'll gladly buy a chinese made car.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #10
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Someone talk hawtai or some other weird Chinese manufacturer into taking one of our previous model falcons say EF/EL, reverse engineer it and build improved clones. Then I'll gladly buy a chinese made car.
No you wouldn't.
Old 26-04-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
I wouldn't, I currently drive an EL, and getting into my sisters AU, my parents BFII or Mondeo, the difference is insane. I'd take the current gen car any day.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 03:25 AM   #12
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
yup... 20 years time everything will be dominantly chinese. its only the dodgy quality control that lets some chinese goods down now. once they sort that out the chinese manufacturers are a behemoth that will be unstoppable.
No it won't.

Dodgy quality has been an issue with Chinese manufactured goods for 20 years already. Has anything improved? No.

As soon as Chinese folk stop deciding to be slaves and demand decent wages, you can kiss any Chinese manufacturing goodbye and all the companies that moved there will come back here crying for forgiveness.

That will be a good day.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think people underestimate the lengths the Chinese go to when they decide to dominate at manufacturing something...

I've talked to motorcycle shop owners and a manager of a spare parts shop I know who have travelled to China to check out what is available. The motorcycle example was particularly amazing...a simply enormous factory, with many acres under cover, brand new production lines, and surrounding the factory were several high rise apartment blocks, all for the workers and thier families, with shops and other facilities. It was like a city built around a massive factory. The workers got accomodation for them and thier families, and were close to work. When one guy I know enquired about motorcycles, he was shown a range of examples, and said that within a day they could reconfigure the production line to suit whatever he wanted and start shipping container loads out within a couple of days.
They seem to be very "customer focussed" and see it as just part of business to do what the customer requires rather than say "here's our range of stuff, take your choice and don't complain, we're not going out of our way just to please you".

Economies of scale and low wages (relative to what we get paid anyhow, but quite normal in China) make this sort of thing possible, and it simply isn't something our country could compete with seriously.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #14
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
No it won't.

Dodgy quality has been an issue with Chinese manufactured goods for 20 years already. Has anything improved? No..
Actualy it has and quite considerably, look at the Chinese made industrial equipment of 20 years ago then look at it 10 years ago, and 5years ago and you will see an amazing difference. and in a good way.

dont use the entry level or ebay rubbish as a guide, they are producing some high quality products, time to stop considering it as such.

Quote:
As soon as Chinese folk stop deciding to be slaves and demand decent wages, you can kiss any Chinese manufacturing goodbye and all the companies that moved there will come back here crying for forgiveness.
already are my freind and the manufacturing is still steaming ahead, why becasue the govenment recognises the benifits to their economy and knows that if manufacturing stops so do they sure the avrage wage isnt on par with ours but its getting closer fast.

But thats OK we'll keep thinking we're better and we'll impose carbon tax's and so on so doing busienss is more expencive and we'll stick our heads further up our bums and we'll all be happy

Look at the Korean stuff, long before we were laughing at Hyadai Xl's they were building equipment and so on now there cars are good the QC is good on them some would argue better than what the falcon sees here in Aus and no ones laughing any more

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
god bless adr's...
Our "ADR's" are virtual reprints of UNECE regulations, so that would be; 'god bless the UNECE Global Technical Regulations for Motor Vehicles'.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

Sure they will...
Japanese stuff had quality control and technical improvements and innovation built-in. Just take a look at how the Japanese took over the motorbike market in the early seventies; Z900 anyone? The Chinese manufacturer are all about cheap price and bells and whistles .. But no real substance. If they drove off all the other competition I wonder who they would then copy from?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As you all are writing on Australian, American and European made computers......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
As you all are writing on Australian, American and European made computers......
Thanks for reminding me as I previously worked for IBM Wangaratta in RS/6000 manufacturing .. All gone OS now.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
No it won't.

Dodgy quality has been an issue with Chinese manufactured goods for 20 years already. Has anything improved? No.

That will be a good day.
They'll move to Vietnam and India as the next low-cost manufacturing base.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #20
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
They'll move to Vietnam and India as the next low-cost manufacturing base.
Yep. Bring on the Figo.
Old 26-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #21
BHDOGS
Banned

At current rates how long before all cheap dodgy goods are made in africa and once africa is up and running what place is next?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
Kowalski
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I go there a couple of times a year for work, often for about a month at a time. I can honestly say the cars that I've seen there, and they're all locally assembled - even the VW's & BMW's are pretty good.
The accuracy of some of the knock-off brands is astounding!
Kowalski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 03:00 PM   #23
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's an old story about the Isle of Man TT (motorcycle race). Honda was there for one of their first visits, and the riders and engineers decided that more gears were needed in the box, so there were some discussions, drawings on envelopes, and some subsequent phone calls back to the factory.
The required gears, shafts, and so on arrived promptly by air at a time when the pommy makers couldn't even begin to think about extra gears inside five or ten years. The Japanese just wanted so succeed and did what was necessary, rather than wait to be told what to do by some 'high-up'.

I remember checking out the oldies' Mazda 808 in the seventies, when Japanese cars were called jap-cr*p. It had bolts with rolled-formed threads with captive washers, easy-to-get-at components and logical design, clear instructions and decent tool-kits, an easy-to-work-on distributor (remember distributors ?), blah blah blah, unlike the 'respectable' pommy etc. rubbish.
Now look at Japanese cars.
So the Chinese will get their act even more together for sure.
And when Africa's beating China, the penguins in Antarctica will have to be watched ...........
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Give it 5 years and China's manufacturing will be like Korea today, e.g - very good.

We ditched Australia for China where I work manufacturing wise. The quality is crap but for the price you pay, who cares?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #25
G6E Turbo 2

And we need another imported Car in our market Because ??????
G6E Turbo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #26
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the article basically answers its own question

Quote:
Whether it builds cars here or not - and the likelihood considering all the economic factors is not - it seems Hawtai is committed to selling cars in Australia, but probably no earlier than 2013
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #27
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

The time is approaching where freight costs will be come excessive. Manufacturing industries will then need to start looking at local production rather than imports.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #28
stevz
Banned

So I guess this flies in the face of the argument that Holden won't make money on local Cruze production.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

30 years ago Korean cars were considered with the same contempt as Chinese cars today,
I'm thinking with enough money and Western help behind them, they wont take 30 years to catch Korea.

So while the cars in the Korean/Chinese bargain segments will always be like disposable razors,
I think the Chinese will find their quality and start clawing into Hyundai, Kia, and any other Koreans around..

It is good that Ford, mazda and even Toyota are heading more upmarket, they should leave Korea to its fate.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
So I guess this flies in the face of the argument that Holden won't make money on local Cruze production.
people don't know how much cars cost to build and believe anything motor companies tell them.
They just assume that is the case because Ford and Toyota say they can't make a case for it
but what those two don't tell you is just how cheap they build their cars for over in Thailand....
Off shoring profit is much easier to do now that tariffs are no longer in place,
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post