Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2022, 11:23 AM   #91
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Global New Ranger Raptor reveal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Could be something to do with fuel enrichment on boost with turbo unleaded engines when it's loaded up doing work, larger naturally aspirated engines are more fuel efficient than smaller forced induction jobs when doing work.

Now the Thailand Special has been muscled up massively and has disc brakes on the rear, I now have nothing to complain about - great job Ford for providing a product to fill this gap.

I look forward to seeing what the other clowns can muster as a competitor.

Even if this thing does circa 20L/100km look how far they've come from the 1980s F series, mine did 35L/100km all day every day and made half as much power with two extra cylinders and 2.8L more displacement.

Are the turbos on the new 3L Ecoboost mounted in the valley like the modern V8 TT stuff?
No it’s not a hot vee engine. Turbo’s are either side of the block. Tucked in super tight to the exhaust manifolds though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 04:07 PM   #92
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Worlds gone mad. 390 hp lifted 4wd ute turned into a BSFC discussion.
Driving to it's capability could be a long walk back if you got it wrong, perhaps thats why? It can't be due to a lack of space for Jerry cans...

Should be talking about the adaptive damping shocks - they'd cost more then my FG2 (which doesn't handle getting airborne to well). Callibrated Adaptive damping has gotta be good.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 05:40 PM   #93
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Read a lot of reviews on not only the Raptor but the Ranger in general. Cant remember any mainstream vehicle so widely anticipated. Most comment pages are generally mixed when it comes to new vehicles, but in the case of the Raptor Ford have smashed it out of the park.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 06:06 PM   #94
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Read a lot of reviews on not only the Raptor but the Ranger in general. Cant remember any mainstream vehicle so widely anticipated. Most comment pages are generally mixed when it comes to new vehicles, but in the case of the Raptor Ford have smashed it out of the park.
Until some bloke on here who would never buy one (or can’t afford one), complains about the fuel economy, and towing capacity.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2022, 06:53 PM   #95
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Until some bloke on here who would never buy one (or can’t afford one), complains about the fuel economy, and towing capacity.
That person can buy a v6 diesel Wildtrack..
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 07:00 PM   #96
jgmdat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
That person can buy a v6 diesel Wildtrack..
He can't afford that one either.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2022, 07:14 PM   #97
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
In a way, I’m guilty of giving them oxygen by actually discussing facts,
I should and do know better…

You have to wonder how some peoples minds work, obviously triggered
by a petrol engined Ute that’s not intended for Ute work….
Those wanting a more practical diesel based Ute have the rest of the Ford
Ranger range to choose from, what do they want?

As an Apex vehicle, Ranger Raptor has very few real competitors in the market
and unless Toyota or GM does something radical, it will have the field to itself
and that level of uniqueness has to add to the exclusivity of owning one, lucky buggers
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2022, 07:18 PM   #98
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
He can't afford that one either.
True, we know who it is too
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2022, 01:33 AM   #99
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing he said is wrong. It's a great product and it's going to drink like a fish.

Fact is down in Melbourne it's just a fashion accessory of a car. There's 3 in my street and 2 in my extended family and not one of those owners even have a clue about what shocks are in the car when I talk to them about it. It's just a car that looks good to go to get a coffee in and park at the office. To think just because you can afford a $100k that fuel prices don't matter is very, very small minded.

Last edited by PG2; 27-02-2022 at 02:27 AM. Reason: My post was not up for discussion.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2022, 09:30 AM   #100
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
Nothing he said is wrong. It's a great product and it's going to drink like a fish.
I would call it overly pessimistic and doubly so because he is a self professed non-buyer.
It would be like me in say, 2005 complaining about the fuel economy of a Territory Turbo that never interested me…
Quote:
Driven with enthusiasm, the Territory Turbo's average fuel consumption lingered around 20 litres per 100km - well above Ford's official 14.2l/100km figure. But on the open road we returned 11.2l/100km and across long and varied road conditions we averaged 14.9l/100km, which was a far better result than the normally aspirated Territory Ghia AWD (with a four-speed automatic) we tested in 2004.
Quote:
Fact is down in Melbourne it's just a fashion accessory of a car. There's 3 in my street and 2 in my extended family and not one of those owners even have a clue about what shocks are in the car when I talk to them about it. It's just a car that looks good to go to get a coffee in and park at the office. To think just because you can afford a $100k that fuel prices don't matter is very, very small minded.
I don’t understand what your point is, people buy high priced vehicles all the time
so isn’t it good that they chose a Ford over another brand?
5 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #101
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mr Ford, I would like to replace my aging Holden Crewman with a new similar dual cab ute for personal and recreational use.

Can I please have a 3.0L 6 cylinder petrol engine, no turbo, RWD, a reasonable ground clearance for country roads, disc brakes all round, not many bells and whistles to annoy the actual driving experience, and a price not exceeding $60K.

I am sure that you could arrange this, as not everyone wants a diesel to lug trailers and caravans, or explore the great outdoor nothingness at high speed, jumping sand dunes and humps in the road.
Thank you.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #102
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford doesn’t make a 3.0 non-turbo V6 anywhere, the closest it would have is the 3.3 V6 in F150.
American Rangers are expected to continue with 2.3 I-4 Ecoboost and 2.7 V6 Ecoboost but there’s
nothing like that is planned for our market……A Ranger XR6 Turbo would be nice but how many buyers?
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #103
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In fairness to Bent, his position may have been misinterpreted as a dig at fuel consumption when in fact it was about a vehicle that requires 98 at a cost of say $2.30/litre being a much harder sell, something Ford couldn’t predict during development when prices were less than $1.60/litre.

I think at least one journo posed the same question about the cost of fuel but really, people who buy these vehicles go in eyes open, no one is making them do it. Those wanting bang for bucks, are not actually Ranger Raptor buyers, this is an apex vehicle for gotta have buyers with an exclusivity that can’t be had with any other product in the Ranger list.

Besides, if it bang for bucks you’re looking for, there are plenty of other choices in the range like 3.0 Powerstroke FX4 or Wildtrak, who knows, Ford might even offer a diesel version of the Raptor down the track…

And the price of fuel might actually ease later in the year….

Last edited by jpd80; 27-02-2022 at 12:27 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2022, 01:12 PM   #104
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After all the bitching and moaning about a diesel in Ranger Raptor, the last thing anyone should be complaining about is the fuel economy of the 3.0 Ecoboost, it is hands down the best engine for this application and gives buyers exactly what they have been wanting.
Old 27-02-2022, 04:32 PM   #105
shewi6
Starter Motor

I think evryone should realise without the 2.0 raptor there likely would not have been one at all, and it's success has given ford reason to go all out for the new one.
I know in my hometown about 1 in 4 rangers i see is a raptor and don't see why a petrol version will not do as well.
shewi6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2022, 09:12 PM   #106
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to give Kudos to Ford Oz.
They have to deliver a vehicle in LHD & RHD in many different model & engine configurations for the world market. I think I have heard about 3 different Raptor versions already with Oz, Europe & Asia for example.
I really hope they are being rewarded for their hard work.
Compare this to Ford USA who can't be a$$ed about RHD let alone other markets outside of the USA aka Maverick which would sell up a storm overseas.
Surely they are showing these guys up.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #107
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post

We all complain about fuel prices occasionally. Why would anyone be happy about paying more for fuel if they didn’t have to? The point most people are making is people spending 100k on a car are not going to go broke over an extra $20 a week in fuel costs. In normal times a $100k car would depreciate at more than $20 a day. That’s not stopping people from buying expensive cars.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 11:44 AM   #108
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
We all complain about fuel prices occasionally. Why would anyone be happy about paying more for fuel if they didn’t have to? The point most people are making is people spending 100k on a car are not going to go broke over an extra $20 a week in fuel costs. In normal times a $100k car would depreciate at more than $20 a day. That’s not stopping people from buying expensive cars.
Top of the line Euros think X5M GL63 etc sit above their more efficient options.
As you say the buyer is this bracket has little concern over what equates to the cost of a cocktail..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #109
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The older DS's from about $100k new and the newer DT's from about $130k.

Secondhand are more than they were sold new.
to back you up more.....even though its not comparing apples with apples.
Unless you really needed the larger back tray that RAM has it is no comparo to the V6 RR in tech/suspension/overall package incl being RHD.
RAM pre 2021 is an old platform might I add.
The main thing going for it pound for pound is having the 5.7l V8 and its towing ability but its all old designs.
The new 5th Gen model just out will be from $115k +......hey its a nice bit of kit if it ticks your boxs.

As a prospective buyer and of other higher end vehicles who cares you never take them what they are designed for working at their optimun conditions be it on road or off road. (how many of us GT/FPV/Sprint owners track them for eg)
You buy these vehicles because you can afford in doing so and the pleasure, fuel costs don't even come to mind.
You moan for a mo more so of the Gov duties and tax's imposed on us more than anything else but you get over it the moment you turn the key and depart the dealership
These RR's are the ducks guts of the Dual Cab market period, good one Ford.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2022, 11:55 AM   #110
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The 3 litre Ecoboost has some solid tuning potential if this Explorer ST is anything to go by. Just some basic mods and it's making 657 rwhp on stock internals. And running 10's.

https://www.fordmuscle.com/features/...d-explorer-st/
Old 07-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #111
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

How long before someone fits a Ford GT V6 in there? Vroom Vroom
Old 07-03-2022, 12:29 PM   #112
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
How long before someone fits a Ford GT V6 in there? Vroom Vroom
Might take a while to find one at a wreckers
Old 07-03-2022, 12:49 PM   #113
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I talked to my son yesterday, he has put $2k down on one

He is selling his Y62, he reckons with all bits and bobs on it he won't have to dig into his pocket too far for the Raptor

He has decided that the twin cab ute is a better option for him, his girlfriend, their 2 little kids and 2 Healers. Whenever they go anywhere in the Y62 they have to leave the dogs behind, they would normally go camping with them

He was saying that all he really needs to do to it is a bullbar and winch, everything else on the new Raptor is bush ready

On the topic of fuel - if you own a Y62 you won't be too worried about the fuel economy of a Raptor - his words, not mine
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 02:00 PM   #114
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Mr Ford, I would like to replace my aging Holden Crewman with a new similar dual cab ute for personal and recreational use.

Can I please have a 3.0L 6 cylinder petrol engine, no turbo, RWD, a reasonable ground clearance for country roads, disc brakes all round, not many bells and whistles to annoy the actual driving experience, and a price not exceeding $60K.

I am sure that you could arrange this, as not everyone wants a diesel to lug trailers and caravans, or explore the great outdoor nothingness at high speed, jumping sand dunes and humps in the road.
Thank you.
Twin cab utes are our biggest sellers there is plenty to choose from most are not used for lugging trailers or used for leaping sand dunes. and are available for under $60K they really dont need disc brakes on the rear most wouldn't even notice.
so its just the diesel thing to get your head around - drive one you might be surprised, they go better than if it had the V6 from the Crewman.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2022, 06:03 PM   #115
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
On the topic of fuel - if you own a Y62 you won't be too worried about the fuel economy of a Raptor - his words, not mine
Almost identical power and torque figures too.
Old 07-03-2022, 08:15 PM   #116
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The RAM TRX has appeared in RHD after compliance approval, so it looks like they will become available here.

Surely Ford will have a crack at it with a Raptor R model at some stage.
A GT500 Motor would make it very interesting.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2022, 01:15 PM   #117
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw a post on FB from someone claiming to have received sales paperwork from the dealer ... $97k, not sure if that's on road or just the car. Surely would be on-road? $100k+ would be a bit nuts.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2022, 09:42 PM   #118
vbomber

vbomber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2022, 02:08 PM   #119
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Drive were at a media briefing on friday and posted a number of articles.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2023-f...swagen-amarok/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/family...deal-was-done/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/could-...p-the-options/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/why-th...iesel-for-now/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-r...verest-raptor/

https://www.drive.com.au/news/new-fo...lectric-power/
Old 04-04-2022, 08:06 PM   #120
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
The RAM TRX has appeared in RHD after compliance approval, so it looks like they will become available here.

Surely Ford will have a crack at it with a Raptor R model at some stage.
A GT500 Motor would make it very interesting.
Ram TRX has been available in AU for a while now... There are a few already around... I know of some in Brisbane... They are the best part of $250k though... A hell of alot more $$$ than the Ranger Raptor. Will monster it in a straight line but the Raptor will probable be a better off road prospect...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post