Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Default QLD Road Trippin' Bris.-Cns. tips/advice?

Hey guys

I will be taking a 'short' road trip from Brisvegas to FNQld starting on this wed. Basically my sister and myself are ferrying her new car (A nice LR Focus zetec) to the cairns area where she is working/training in the next 6 months or so.

I've driven the cairns-bris route a few times so know my way around generally. But i've only ever been going south (never as a driver going north). Also always in falcon's LOL....first time in a smaller car... Am looking for any advice from guys that have done the route recently to help me out. Any areas the boys in blue are being particularly active (not likely to be doing much speeding in the littler Ford though...), roadworks/delays etc. Also anyone that has done the route in a focus or similar smaller car any tips would be great (i've already worked out pushing it along at higher speeds with a load on will cost fuel....)

Am looking to make it to Mackay on the first day (no need doing it in one stint) so am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on best places to grab lunch in Rockhampton (mmm, steak....home of beef so they say). I haven't been to the place in years....

thanks in advance guys

swordsman

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
woodsy109

Cambridge hotel in Rockhampton is the place to go for a good steak although there is a burger place half way between Rocky and Mackay that does a great steak burger. Fair few roadworks in the Townsville-Cardwell area but most of the work further up towards Cairns is now finished. Worst places I have found for cops are around Proserpine, and just north of Townsville but you really just have to keep an eye out for speed cameras (dark grey mercedes van or landcruiser wagons usually brown)

Your trip is certainly not going to be lesurely. 10.5hrs from Brisbane to Mackay and another 8.5hrs to Cairns. Thats really only including stops for fuel so if you want to stop for lunch then it will take you longer.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 04:17 AM   #3
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy109
Cambridge hotel in Rockhampton is the place to go for a good steak although there is a burger place half way between Rocky and Mackay that does a great steak burger. Fair few roadworks in the Townsville-Cardwell area but most of the work further up towards Cairns is now finished. Worst places I have found for cops are around Proserpine, and just north of Townsville but you really just have to keep an eye out for speed cameras (dark grey mercedes van or landcruiser wagons usually brown)

Your trip is certainly not going to be lesurely. 10.5hrs from Brisbane to Mackay and another 8.5hrs to Cairns. Thats really only including stops for fuel so if you want to stop for lunch then it will take you longer.
thanks for the quick reply woodsy. I was made aware of the roadworks further north but was not so sure of the stuff 'in the middle' LOL!

Yeah its not going to be a leasurely trip. I find 2 days is not that hard work iif you have a comfortable car (READ-aircon!) and plan ahead. Will be an early start for sure. I have an hour or so tacked onto your estimates for lunch already and am just doing a more detailed trip plan now. My folks live an hour or so short of cairns so the second day is a bit easier......

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

just drive safe !!!
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cops very active between Apple Tree Creek (childers)and Rockhampton,
best advice ,last year or so Police presence on Hiway has trippled over the previous 10 years. i have lost my liscence on points twice in last 5 years so i set my cruise every chance as its just not worth the risk anymore.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

if going the coast road, set cruise ctrl... they are like vultures pritty much from gympie onwards, dont speed in gympie either its always crawling with cops.

ive done the trip in a day 4 times, but if you need to stop then mackay is prob the best place as rocky is to short *6hours* give or take.

focus should do it easy its not a 1.3 barina :P... just be aware of idiots overtaking and being way to focused on their speed and not getting back on the correct side of the road, had that happen 3 times on my 7000k trip 2 weeks ago.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

As you pass the Helens Hill Plains just south of Ingham can you give a wave to your left. That's where my parents live.

Apart from that, I haven't driven up there for about 2.5 years, so have no current knowledge of the roads.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

thanks for the info guys....keep it coming...

Yeah UNR8D the focus should do it fine. I was just working out cruising speeds because methinks that with a bit of a load i probably should back the pace off a bit from the falcon to avoid much higher fuel burn. I find if you get the right cruise speed in a car you can save quite a bit of fuel on the longer trips is all.

Sounds like the boys in blue are getting crazy restrictive out there...even since the last time i did the run a few years back. Thankfully this focus as the optional ford cruise control fitted so that will come in handy LOL!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 12-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
bingoTE50
Steve

Take plenty of tunes ....cruise control ...and stop every two ..even for just a drink ...there are some pretty good distance between major stops..I don't recommend driving any length of time at night...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just adding to the rest. It is school hols. Everyone I know is rostered on and patrols on the Bruce have increased significantly.
The "leniency" threshold is a lot lower at the moment so stay under 10km/h over the posted limit. The lunatic 90 zone between Cooroy and Bells Bridge is "the killing fields", be careful.
Watch out for idiots usually with southern number plates sitting on about 93 (they think their speedo is accurate) in a 100 overtaking zone blocking the right hand lane so you can't overtake. There is special focus on crossing double lines so if you get stuck out on the right behind one of these idiots and can't get back you have a good chance of copping a fine (or being killed).

If you are not in a hurry travel at night. There are very few tourists about and traveling is much easier and quicker. You can make very good time without speeding excessively and the cooler air will get you better fuel economy. It is a smidgeon warmish at the moment.

On the Marlborogh stretch STTF and the locals run in pairs or triples a few km apart. i.e. If you see a mobile radar there is a good chance there is another unmarked one in a minute or two so don't be tempted. Anna is in command and every K over is a dollar....I mean killer.
Fuel at Gin Gin, Rockvegas, Mackay, Townsville.
Beware of "wicked" vans and the like, they are full of european back packers who are used to LHD and are often tired, drunk, stoned and distracted.

If you have access to a UHF take it and listen to the trucks, they know where all the danger is. There is a bit of fire and smoke about but it should be gone by wednesday.

Have fun
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
downthetrack

First of all as far as accomodation goes I'd be booking ahead for Rockhampton or Mackay as rooms can be hard to find at peak times with all the mining activity.

As a couple have said above the police are very active around the Cooroy to Gympie 90km zone. Also see a few around the Maryborough turnoffs, as well there is usually a speed camera located in the 60 and 70 zones through Rockhampton itself.

Going north I'd also consider turning off just north of Gympie and head north through Kilkivan, Gayndah, Monto, Rockhampton. Sure it will take a bit longer but it is all bitumen and traffic is far less and the idiot factor is way less than the Bruce Highway, these days I rarely use the Bruce Highway between Gympie and Rockhampton unless I absolutey have to.

Rockhampton to Mackay, not too bad just stay away from the Backpacker vans, and I'd avoid at night with plenty of kangaroos around lately and trucks rule the night with plenty of them doing well over the speed limit and intimidating behaviour (and they wonder why they get a bad name) This is from doing plenty of night drives for work where there is no choice.
Carmilla just over halfway between Rocky and Mackay usuallly seems to have alright priced fuel and reasonable food and is 24hr to boot. Kalarka Roadhouse also do alright burgers but isn't 24 hr. As far as rest areas go there is one near the St Lawrence turnoff and another one at Clareview between the rail track and the ocean which is usually kept in good nick.

North of Mackay sorry I can't help you too much but plenty of others probably could.
downthetrack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Great advice guys....pretty much tallies with my thoughts too....

Plenty of tunes on board bingo....my sister made sure of that LOL

Accomodation has been pre-booked for mackay so pretty much have that bit set up. Have had a pretty good look at it timing wise and running everything legal speed wise i think i can get it all done roughly on time and with minimum fuel stops. As i said its really about ferrying the car up there and then having the holidays with family...we aren't looking for a sightseeing trip...

Am interested in downthetrack's suggestions RE going north from gympie via gayndah to rockhampton. Anyone else tried this? How much longer will it take? Never even considered it to be honest. Surely the road is not as good...

Flappist all i have at present is my portable airband scanner. Not sure if it can pick up the UHF frequencies truckies use i only use it for aviation spotting etc. RE speedo i have done a few gps test of the focus speedo (it has xr4 wheels/tyres so a bit smaller in diameter) and it is doing around 96 at indicated 100mk/h. So i am aware of the need to adjust for this but i agree any more than 5-10 over the posted limit (true speed) is going to get their attention wheras in the past you could do a bit more...

Traveling at night is not an option since my sister is not a fan (my old man and i have done it) and you do get the odd 'roo moment'....will be avoiding dusk for the same reason. Fuel stops should me major centres (rockhampton/townsville etc.) based on predictions but i might splash and dash at other locations if need be....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
downthetrack

While I have never put a stop watch to it the inland way takes about an hour/hour and a half longer than the Bruce Highway. Road condition is not too bad, it is all bitumen and mostly 100km/h running except through the towns. There isn't much in the way of overtaking lanes however the lack of traffic means you can usually get around with a bit of patience. Over the last few years main roads have been replacing some of the old bridges and realigning some of the worst approaches. As you are planning on going to Mackay in one hit the extra time may make for a long day.

As far as UHF radio channels go Channel 40 will cover most of the truckie talk, and as you have a scanner if you get too bored you could probably tune into the emergency services or Railway frequencies anyway.
You will get SeaFM in its regional variations most of the way up the coast as well as ABC and the like.
downthetrack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #14
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Gin Gin will be your last cheap fuel so fill up there (can be up to 15c cheaper then capricorn coast area) then top up in rocky will get you through to Mackay where fuel was cheap when i was there in july. first servo on the left in Mackay ( next to info center) was cheapest in town .
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #15
guntersmells

What a coincidence swordsman, I should be doing toowoomba to cairns on wednesday/thursday too :P

Thanks for the info, some of that will come in handy

ATM I'm dropping a mate off in bundy and will crash there the night, then head up to townsville in one hop from bundy and crash a night or 2 at townsville to see friends. I might see ya hooning past me at 180? :P
guntersmells is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 03:40 AM   #16
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Just did some quick fuel calcs guys....anyone know how much 95RON juice is in rocky/townsville/mackay at present??

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntersmells
What a coincidence swordsman, I should be doing toowoomba to cairns on wednesday/thursday too :P

ATM I'm dropping a mate off in bundy and will crash there the night, then head up to townsville in one hop from bundy and crash a night or 2 at townsville to see friends. I might see ya hooning past me at 180? :P
Ha, 180......not likely mate. Even if the zetec could pull that (wonder what rpm would be at 180km/h in 5th gear hehe) captain bligh has seen to it that anything more than 111km/h anywhere in qld is a no no......

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 14-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember doing that trip in a XD Falcon back in the 80s, sat on about 140-160kmh most of the way. Id probably be locked up doing those speeds nowadays!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #18
XRGREIGHT

Paid $1.33 for 98 yesterday
XRGREIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #19
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

lol 122kmh + you will get pinged for via speed cam in a 110km/h zone mate, 10% leeway ;)... vic helped me calibrate the speedo in the TS at 100 indicated it was auctualy 98... most new cars will be around this, they read higher which is not a bad thing living in the NAZI state or states...

how you do the trip will depend on what type of driver you are, if you are like me 20 hours straight stopping for food/fuel is easy but if your like my old man, anything more than 2 hours behind the wheel almost sends you to sleep, if you feel drowzy just head to the next town, grab a coke... 2 min walk around the car you will be amazed how much better you feel ....

Focus should lean burn on the hwy anyways, id expect 8.5 or less L/100 out of a f*kdeus even loaded up.. which still kills the TS's 12.3L avg for 7000k round trip lol.

Old 14-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #20
InTrail

Did this trip 3 times back in May/June.

The only additional advice I'd give (which sounds like you intend following anyway) is avoid having to drive at night. The insect population this time of year up here will have you stopping every 20mins. just to clean the windscreen.
Old 14-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #21
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

interesting how everyone is recomending not driving at night? i find night driving to be more relaxing, and less traffic means better average speed, less fuel burn... cooler... it hasnt been too dry so the issues with roos etc is negelable, in my entire trip I only had 2 issues with rabbits *they should learn to duck...diff housings hurt* and an inquisitive emu... didnt see 1 roo, but if your alert and just keeping an eye on surroundings the coast road dosent have too much in the way of road kill.

Old 14-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #22
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Roads are terrible north of Townsville.

You see the occasional highway patrol vehicle. Umm there is usually a speed camera about 100-150km north of tville...Just before a little bridge. Haha.

As for fuel...think it's around the 1.20 for 95...1.33ish for 98...That's in Cairns.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #23
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
interesting how everyone is recomending not driving at night? i find night driving to be more relaxing, and less traffic means better average speed, less fuel burn... cooler... it hasnt been too dry so the issues with roos etc is negelable, in my entire trip I only had 2 issues with rabbits *they should learn to duck...diff housings hurt* and an inquisitive emu... didnt see 1 roo, but if your alert and just keeping an eye on surroundings the coast road dosent have too much in the way of road kill.
UNR8D i'd much rather drive at night to be honest. Not alot of people go for it but it has alot of advantages. Not least of which is quieter roads. The few times i've done i just avoided dusk and never really had too many roo problems but there is always that risk and after one relatively close call i'd rather not do it. Esp in a smaller vehicle.

I'm not one for getting sleepy when driving so with regular short breaks i think will all be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Roads are terrible north of Townsville.

You see the occasional highway patrol vehicle. Umm there is usually a speed camera about 100-150km north of tville...Just before a little bridge. Haha.

As for fuel...think it's around the 1.20 for 95...1.33ish for 98...That's in Cairns.
You don't need to tell me about the dodgy roads up there mate...i used to live there. Coming south i always drove the first bit for some reason and it is by far, the nastiest piece of supposed national highway in australia. I'd say it may be the worst excuse for a national highway in the developed world. No matter how bad the supposed 'black spots' are further south the area from cardwell-cairns is the much much worse.....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 14-12-2009, 09:09 PM   #24
351EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntersmells

HaHAHA I will be doing the trip from Brissy to Townsville on the weekend.
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #25
guntersmells

Looks like it's the season to go for a drive up to sunny far north queensland :P

I recon I might just go drive at night after dropping the mate off in bundy and stop off at rocky. Any good motels to stop at?
guntersmells is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #26
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
interesting how everyone is recomending not driving at night? ........it hasnt been too dry so the issues with roos etc is negelable, .
not sure what part of QLD you are in but around here (central qld - marybough <> rocky and from what people have told me > townsville) it hasnt rained hardly since april / may and the padocks are looking like deserts. plenty of wildlife on the roads after dark including escaped cattle looking for a feed.

also a high fire risk with the tinder dry grass on the roadsides so ( i`m sure you wouldn`t ) DON`T throw out smoke butts.

`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 11:16 PM   #27
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my advice check your wheel nuts!

we did (2 of us) brisbane to babinda (south of cairns) in a time im not allowed to mention in public, got home, swapped rims over and was able to take them off with our hands

red bull DOES NOT help
dont eat servo food, the windows go down more than they stay up otherwise
if a bug flies into your ear, DONT push it in further ( had to go to hospital )

i now refuse to drive from brisbane to cairns ever again.....

the other thing is fuel up when you can, i drove the XR8 for the first time up north at about 10pm, fuel light on and the next 5 servos where closed ..... just made it to the BP but had to wait ages as they had a fuel spill

mackay (as your leaving) down the hill..... ive seen a a Flash for cash almost everytime ive been through

ingham... on the side of the road there is a row of huge trees ... flash for cash usually hidden amongst them

silkwood ....... outside the bricks place, after the train tracks/intersections
...... at the truck stop/rest thing ...... usually hidden behind a truck or so
..... just before silkwood at the driver reviver.... usually someone selling fruit sort of place... flash for cash

mourilyan ........ pretty much anywhere in the town ..... hand held gun is more common than flash for cash

innisfail/mourilyan ..... before the BP when the speed limit goes from 100 > 80km they hide behind the cane/BP sign .... again gun not flash for cash

innisfail ...... after the high school down the long street usually before the cemetery/after the van park near the theatre thingy (been a while .... i went to school there and cant remember what its called)

innisfail cairns ...... where the limit hits 90km ..... DO IT!

cairns ....... well its cairns, your on your own

thats all i know, i do townsville to innisfail mainly...... i can spot them a mile away + my UHF has paid for itself

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
not sure what part of QLD you are in but around here (central qld - marybough <> rocky and from what people have told me > townsville) it hasnt rained hardly since april / may and the padocks are looking like deserts. plenty of wildlife on the roads after dark including escaped cattle looking for a feed.

also a high fire risk with the tinder dry grass on the roadsides so ( i`m sure you wouldn`t ) DON`T throw out smoke butts.

dont smoke.

sorry I shouldnt have lead that to indicate all of qld, but I just did bris to broken hill, melb and then back to bris in a week so did a fair ammount of driving across 3 states, just reporting what i witnessed.

Old 15-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #29
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

good info all around guys. Everythiing is ready to go now....in terms of the car anyway. I better throw some clothes in a bag though...otherwise i'll be packing stuff at the last minute as usual....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Old 16-12-2009, 02:00 AM   #30
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

ok all packed and ready to go. thanks for the help guys...ive got some long driving ahead of me but should be fun.

safe driving to everyone else doing similar long trips this holiday season....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
This user likes this post: