Wally
XP Coupe

Default Ford/Toyota Joint Venture UTE

This been posted yet?

http://www.smh.com.au/national/ute-b...1212-kpki.html

Quote:
Ute beauty: Toyota, Ford race to reinvent a classicTOBY HAGON
December 13, 2009
AUSTRALIA invented the ute and now it's perfecting it for the world.

Australia's three remaining car makers – Ford, Toyota and Holden – are playing roles in developing next-generation utes for the world.

Toyota has revealed it will join Ford in developing a rugged ute to be sold around the world, exporting engineering and helping cement Australia as one of fewer than 20 countries that can design, engineer and produce cars.

The next generation of Australia's – and one of the world's – most popular utes, the Toyota Hilux, will undergo extensive testing and development locally as part of a plan to set Australia up as a four-wheel-drive centre of expertise.

A senior Toyota engineer recently in Australia said Australian engineers were being trained in Japan to develop the next Hilux ute that will arrive in about five years.

"Australia is still the most diverse and harsh environment we know. It is the benchmark for model development," said Toyota chief engineer Makato Arimoto, who is part of the product-planning department.

Ford Australia – which invented the first car-based ute in 1934 in answer to a farmer's desire for a car that could be driven to church on Sunday and take pigs to market on Monday – is leading the development of the next-generation Ranger.

The longest-running name plate in Australia could switch to an imported car as part of the "one Ford" policy that aims to end cars for individual markets.

Last year Holden was on the verge of exporting its Commodore ute to the US, a program that came undone when parent company General Motors slid towards bankruptcy. Some within Holden are still hopeful of reviving an export program for the ute that has created a new sports-ute segment.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I don't beleive its a joint venture ...... Mazda and Ford are in partnership with the Ranger. I think the article is saying that Ford has joined Toyota in taking the reins (individually) to R&D utes for the rest of the world for their respective brands.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
Wally
XP Coupe

I think you are right.
Old 14-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #4
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Technically speaking, Ford and Toyota are developing pick-ups, not car-based utes that Ford Aus did invent..
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
I don't beleive its a joint venture ...... Mazda and Ford are in partnership with the Ranger. I think the article is saying that Ford has joined Toyota in taking the reins (individually) to R&D utes for the rest of the world for their respective brands.

That what I thought when I read it, why would ford spend more money when they have the T6 close to completion.
Old 14-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
That what I thought when I read it, why would ford spend more money when they have the T6 close to completion.

I thought when Ford upgraded You Yangs the idea was to sub out some of it for engineering by third parties. Maybe thats what they mean?
Old 14-12-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

It's this bit that had me thinking:

Quote:
Toyota has revealed it will join Ford in developing a rugged ute
Old 14-12-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I get ya Wally, but irlewy86 actually makes sense because I know the expanded the proving ground by a fair bit a few years ago.
Old 14-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

Quote:
Ute beauty: Toyota, Ford race to reinvent a classicTOBY HAGON
December 13, 2009
AUSTRALIA invented the ute and now it's perfecting it for the world.

Australia's three remaining car makers – Ford, Toyota and Holden – are playing roles in developing next-generation utes for the world.

Toyota has revealed it will join Ford in developing a rugged ute to be sold around the world, exporting engineering and helping cement Australia as one of fewer than 20 countries that can design, engineer and produce cars.

The next generation of Australia's – and one of the world's – most popular utes, the Toyota Hilux, will undergo extensive testing and development locally as part of a plan to set Australia up as a four-wheel-drive centre of expertise.

A senior Toyota engineer recently in Australia said Australian engineers were being trained in Japan to develop the next Hilux ute that will arrive in about five years.

"Australia is still the most diverse and harsh environment we know. It is the benchmark for model development," said Toyota chief engineer Makato Arimoto, who is part of the product-planning department.

Ford Australia – which invented the first car-based ute in 1934 in answer to a farmer's desire for a car that could be driven to church on Sunday and take pigs to market on Monday – is leading the development of the next-generation Ranger.

The longest-running name plate in Australia could switch to an imported car as part of the "one Ford" policy that aims to end cars for individual markets.

Last year Holden was on the verge of exporting its Commodore ute to the US, a program that came undone when parent company General Motors slid towards bankruptcy. Some within Holden are still hopeful of reviving an export program for the ute that has created a new sports-ute segment.
And they still manage to sneak that little pearler in there, what relevance does it have to any of this?
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

I can see how one would get that Ford and Toyota were teaming up on a joint project, the way that article reads.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Ford has been the number one truck in the US for at least the past 33 years, straight. Toyota is having problems with it's first full sized truck, the Tundra. It still does not match up to the F-series.

Ford has surpassed Toyota in initial quality, and Toyota also has recalls and much other negative press going on as they learn what it means to be such a huge company. Ford is not about to go into a project with them, they just leap-frogged them.

If Toyota says they are going to step-up their game in utes in Oz you better believe Ford is not going to take that lying down. This competition will only be a good thing for Australia, and potentially some other markets.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Love your work Steve!

GK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
I can see how one would get that Ford and Toyota were teaming up on a joint project, the way that article reads.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Ford has been the number one truck in the US for at least the past 33 years, straight. Toyota is having problems with it's first full sized truck, the Tundra. It still does not match up to the F-series.

Ford has surpassed Toyota in initial quality, and Toyota also has recalls and much other negative press going on as they learn what it means to be such a huge company. Ford is not about to go into a project with them, they just leap-frogged them.

If Toyota says they are going to step-up their game in utes in Oz you better believe Ford is not going to take that lying down. This competition will only be a good thing for Australia, and potentially some other markets.

Steve

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #12
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Just to be a little more accurate, when this year's numbers are announced it will be 33 years. As of 2008 it has been 32 years running.

If nothing else, Ford will brag about their truck dominance. They are taking it to a new level too because they know the competition wants to challege them now.

...always someone gotta try to take you down.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 03:38 PM   #13
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I believe Ford invented the pickup truck and the Aussie ute. Today, Ford still makes the best of both.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #14
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal_250
And they still manage to sneak that little pearler in there, what relevance does it have to any of this?
I noticed that - a sign the article could use another run past the editor as presumably it's a reference to the Falcon, but does not actually state it.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #15
dannyxm
was danny888

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
I noticed that - a sign the article could use another run past the editor as presumably it's a reference to the Falcon, but does not actually state it.
Always there with a kick in the teeth arn't they?

Also, why is it always 'the Aussies invented the ute' Never 'Ford Australia invented the ute.'

Sorry to be nitpicking but thats always annoyed me.
Old 16-12-2009, 05:46 PM   #16
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny351
Also, why is it always 'the Aussies invented the ute' Never 'Ford Australia invented the ute.'
Wasn't it the woman who wrote to Ford the person who deserves the credit? Anyway, ancient history, so who really cares? Probably not anyone who doesn't already know about it.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post