Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default NSW: No More Rego Stickers

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226073558305

Quote:
With police able to detect unregistered and unlicensed cars electronically, the chamber believes car registration stickers are no longer necessary.

The chamber intends to present its ground-breaking plan to the government this week. Chamber CEO Stephen Cartwright said the regulation burden on the business community continued to grow despite ongoing rhetoric from the government that it was engaged in a "war on red tape".

"Car registration stickers are the perfect example of red tape that has become antiquated and unnecessary (because of) developments in computer technology.

"The RTA can save the community, and particularly business owners who can own and operate several vehicles per business, the time and effort required in removing old labels and fixing new ones every year on 4.6 million vehicles registered in NSW."
Ground breaking? Didnt we hear of this a few years ago?

Hope it happens though - makes sense

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: NSW: No More Rego Stickers

Just following WA's lead. They already realised what they spend on processing labels can be spent on more electronic detection equipment, which yields more revenue ..................

I'd like to know what an unlicensed car is?
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #3
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happening in SA as of 1st July. No more rego stickers for us.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
ray38l

Well i know in nsw that not all cop cars can detect unregistered cars. Last week i had to drive an unregistered car 3 days (had to get repairs done) and each time i went past at least one hwp car and didn't get pulled over once.
One advantage to rego stickers is you can quickly and easily see when rego is due. With 3 car it is easy to forget when they are due.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i recently went over the pits in act with no rego sticker and nothing was said
Old 12-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray38l
Well i know in nsw that not all cop cars can detect unregistered cars. Last week i had to drive an unregistered car 3 days (had to get repairs done) and each time i went past at least one hwp car and didn't get pulled over once..
Just because you went passed him doesn't mean he checked your rego. Some police cars have that technology to do it automatically but not that many yet afaik.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #7
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Just because you went passed him doesn't mean he checked your rego. Some police cars have that technology to do it automatically but not that many yet afaik.
Every single one of them can do a QV on their radio.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Every single one of them can do a QV on their radio.....
Absolutely but I was thinking about the newer plate recognition gizmo, ray38l said "Well i know in nsw that not all cop cars can detect unregistered cars" and I think plate recog was where he was going with that.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM   #9
ray38l

Yeah i know they can check it over the radio. My comment was about the new cameras that detect it.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Happening in SA as of 1st July. No more rego stickers for us.
the annoying thing is, they've decided to make it 'better' for us apparently, and now will only offer renewal periods of 3mnths or 12mnths!! not sure how that is 'better'!! not for me anyway. apparently these are the most common renewal periods.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah i know they can check it over the radio. My comment was about the new cameras that detect it.
Many have a laptop with the latest data and they just type the plates in on the fly. I have witnessed this in action on the odd occasion and some are VERY good at it.

The cameras (like the RDDs) still give quite a number of false readings so still require a copper to make a judgement.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #12
ray38l

I have a scanner and have heard them do a rego check on my car when i have been at the lights. Its weird when you realise its your number plate there checking.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #13
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

sweet!!.... always been wanting to ditch the sticker for the EF, so I hope this passes.....
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have a scanner and have heard them do a rego check on my car when i have been at the lights. Its weird when you realise its your number plate there checking.
Yeh but you are in a commodore, you don't look for fish in a desert......
Old 12-06-2011, 12:29 PM   #15
ray38l

With the amount we pay for rego the least the tight ****'s could do is give us a sticker!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:34 PM   #16
ray38l

Quote:
Yeh but you are in a commodore, you don't look for fish in a desert......
i was in a holden zafira actually.
6 months old at the time, hardly a car that stands out.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will our rego be cheaper?
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about scratching the stickers and front plates all together and just setting up a monthly direct debit for rego and insurance.

It would reduce cost significantly both is materials and administration.

Of course this could lead to lowering public servant employment which may diminish one or more of the "govco empires" so I suspect there would be some friction to this from the "aristocracy".
Old 12-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
guppies are little fish, but still fish.......
Old 12-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #20
sudszy
Banned

so I thought one of the ideas of a sticker was that it was difficult to swap from one vehicle to the other, as opposed to rego plates where people could rotate plates through a few cars that they own when they want to drive them?
Why would police randomly just check plates of cars when driving along, whereas before if they could see that the vehicle didnt have the right colour rego sticker then that was a fair chance the rego hadnt been paid.

Yep, and some of us have cars the same model/colour making it even less detectable even if they run a licence plate check, can see dealers taking advantage here, and the police arent randomly going to be stopping vehicles to see if the vin tags agree with what is on their computers.

Last edited by sudszy; 12-06-2011 at 02:07 PM.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
With the amount we pay for rego the least the tight ****'s could do is give us a sticker!
i hate those stickers. they mess up the window, especially when it comes to changing them.

a funny thing, i asked the RTA if they were going to get rid of the labels and they said no, police still need to use them.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #22
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
so I thought one of the ideas of a sticker was that it was difficult to swap from one vehicle to the other, as opposed to rego plates where people could rotate plates through a few cars that they own when they want to drive them?
Why would police randomly just check plates of cars when driving along, whereas before if they could see that the vehicle didnt have the right colour rego sticker then that was a fair chance the rego hadnt been paid.

Yep, and some of us have cars the same model/colour making it even less detectable even if they run a licence plate check, can see dealers taking advantage here, and the police arent randomly going to be stopping vehicles to see if the vin tags agree with what is on their computers.
come on sudszy that's a bit rebellious for you isn't it? swapping plates between cars so you only have to pay one rego? why would it make any difference with rego stickers? as you said, how often do they actually check the sticker?

i know other states are different, but stickers in wa were useless anyway. they only had the month that the rego was to expire on them, and different colours for different years (which i'm pretty sure rotated over a few years anyway), they didn't ever have any actual detail of the car on them...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:53 PM   #23
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't wait for it in the ACT. I'm sick of the stickers on the bike, car windscreen and the ones that always fall off the trailer. Interesting though that you would think if one state does not issue rego stickers, and other states do, how do the police know if they car is registered if they use stickers to indentify for interstate vehicles. It should be standard acorss all Australian States.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
i recently went over the pits in act with no rego sticker and nothing was said
I bought my car in melbourne and drove it home to Sydney with no number plates.

Would have passed half a dozen police cars and was never given a second look. Pulled up beside a HP car on Cumberland Highway at Cabramatta and the I think they didn't even realise I had no number plates.

As for rego labels, we have 13 vehicles in the business and it becomes a bit of a nightmare in July as 8 of the vehicles regos are within 4 days of each other, Labels have been mixed up on more than one occasion.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #25
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
6 months is a little young for you to be driving ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
"The RTA can save the community, and particularly business owners who can own and operate several vehicles per business, the time and effort required in removing old labels and fixing new ones every year"
Yep, takes about 3mins of time and very little effort...is this guy looking for a Gov job ?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #27
ray38l

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
6 months is a little young for you to be driving ?
mate, when your as good as me age is no barrier
Old 12-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #28
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
come on sudszy that's a bit rebellious for you isn't it? swapping plates between cars so you only have to pay one rego? why would it make any difference with rego stickers? as you said, how often do they actually check the sticker?
Sorry did I say I drove unregistered vehicles by swapping plates, dont think so, one because it was illegal and 2 the sticker issue prevented it.

Its hard to swap stickers(though the newones come off very easily now), unless you pull the windscreen out or something, thats why it was illegal to put them on quarter vents side windows etc.

If the vehicle doesnt have the correct color sticker then it sticks out like dogs......to an enforcement officer from 500m away, .......okay,maybe 30m.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #29
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Can't wait for it in the ACT. I'm sick of the stickers on the bike, car windscreen and the ones that always fall off the trailer. Interesting though that you would think if one state does not issue rego stickers, and other states do, how do the police know if they car is registered if they use stickers to indentify for interstate vehicles. It should be standard acorss all Australian States.
Very good point - unless the police are/will be updating to a National Rego system...

I hated getting a rego sticker for my bike that said: Watch out for Motorcyclists... lol.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
How about scratching the stickers and front plates all together and just setting up a monthly direct debit for rego and insurance.

It would reduce cost significantly both is materials and administration.

Of course this could lead to lowering public servant employment which may diminish one or more of the "govco empires" so I suspect there would be some friction to this from the "aristocracy".
What about extending the E tag system to incorporate registration and infringement notices....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post