Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
craigcar
Starter Motor

Default Ecu reset

Hi people my 2006 2.0 duro manual lx 4 door hatch out of the blue does and shows nothing when trying to start it all lights windows remote key radio are all working fine try to start it nothing no noises no dash lights no gages hooked it up to a code reader nothing cant reset through the code reader is there a manual way to reset or is it something else.

Any advice welcome cause I have tried everything I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935453_1178519305510017_2440557261656464610_n.jpg (63.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg focusUntitled.jpg (57.7 KB, 13 views)
craigcar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Ecu reset

Very unlikely to be the ECU. You've got a no-crank no-start problem.

Immediately the most likely culprits are the battery (enough voltage to turn on the accessories, but not enough juice to turn the starter motor), bad battery connections (especially the terminals or wiring), or sometimes a faulty starter motor itself. Other problems can include an issue with the ignition system itself, like the starter really, ignition switch or the safety switches (clutch pedal position switch in a manual).

If you have a multimeter, start by verify that you have at least >12V at the battery and then work from there.

If you don't, the other thing you can try is getting a jump start and seeing if your car cranks when being powered by other battery.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most likely battery if its more than 3 years old.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
craigcar
Starter Motor

Battery is showing 12.6 just sitting there, I've never had to depress the clutch to start it before, and yes it is like the battery is disconnected except that all lights work but when key is in the on position no dash lights at all no seat belt or doors open beeper.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #5
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcar View Post
Battery is showing 12.6 just sitting there, I've never had to depress the clutch to start it before, and yes it is like the battery is disconnected except that all lights work but when key is in the on position no dash lights at all no seat belt or doors open beeper.
Could still be related to the battery. 12.6v might be the reading, but you may have some cells inside the battery that have died so there is not enough power to crank it over. Try putting it on an overnight charge if you have a charger or call your roadside assist. They can test the battery and tell you what is wrong.

Also, I've been taught to always start the car with the clutch depressed. It takes the transmission load of the engine.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
craigcar
Starter Motor

I have a JUMPER pack I will try it and let you know.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Could still be related to the battery. 12.6v might be the reading, but you may have some cells inside the battery that have died so there is not enough power to crank it over. Try putting it on an overnight charge if you have a charger or call your roadside assist. They can test the battery and tell you what is wrong.

Also, I've been taught to always start the car with the clutch depressed. It takes the transmission load of the engine.
What is the battery voltage on the multimeter when you try and crank it over?
Old 04-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
craigcar
Starter Motor

The problem is it doesn't crank had the ecu out and tested today its fine they are telling me it's the dash because they are programmable.
So next move is a second hand cluster so if anyone has a second one but knows it works I need one.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How does a dash cluster stop a car from cranking over? I am curious to know, I did not know this could be the case. Is it an ant-theft thing?
Old 04-03-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
CatonaPC©

Who are the 'they' you are referring to?
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 05:25 PM   #11
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had thought there was a small chip in the key fob that told the engine management computer it could start the car I wonder if that is broken or the signal not being received
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2016, 06:18 PM   #12
craigcar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
How does a dash cluster stop a car from cranking over? I am curious to know, I did not know this could be the case. Is it an ant-theft thing?
They have a small control module inside the cluster which receives all the sensors before sending them to the ECU which is why I have no dash lights and they have to be programed to match ECU like the key does.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #13
dazFX
Starter Motor

Where are you located?

Imlachs in Springvale have a few focuses in their wrecking yard
EO XR5 Turbo: PS u412, Deresonated Xforce Catback, 200 cell cat, 3" downpipe, Dreamscience CAI, Airtec Gen 3 IC, Turbosmart dual port, RS injectors, Elevate TCV, VT torque mount, King Springs, Bilstein B8s, Whiteline RARB, Adjustable Camber arms, PDW Oasis, Bonnet strut lifters
dazFX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2016, 03:11 PM   #14
craigcar
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Who are the 'they' you are referring to?
PROFLOW engineering does dyno tuning has his own auto elec that does all his wiring and ECU mods I've known them for ages they turboed my Honda prelude.
Old 19-03-2016, 10:42 PM   #15
craigcar
Starter Motor

Found one problem there's a small cpu that talks to the ecu got a new cluster as cpu had burnt out now it has to be programed to match ecu but can't fine anyone who can do it. BEEN AT 4 AUTO ELECTS FOR 3 MONTHS NEXT STOP SIMS METAL.