Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Phuket and Bangkok - Anyone been?

Hey all

Getting travel sick again and thought south east Asia might be nice to check out.

Was thinking about going in early July. I know the weather is slightly less than ideal - with it being pretty hot with tropical downpours, but most people reckon in between daily downpours it is still pretty fine. Any first hand experiences?

I welcome any comments, suggestions or experiences.

Thinking of taking wife for 10 days, 7 in Phuket and 3 in Bangkok. Flying Jetstar to Bangkok via freq. flyer points and paying to fly Thai between Bangkok and Phuket.

Thanks

Pinch

Old 24-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

July should be great, wet season is now.

I went to Phuket on my honeymoon and had a ball, heaps to do and shopping is great.
The Novatel is a nice spot to stay, it's well above sea level, good for tsunami watching and walking off dinner with 130 od steps up from the esplanade.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
3vXT

After discussing a similar trip with a mate from work who has just come back from near Phuket i'd be thinking about going sans wife.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
After discussing a similar trip with a mate from work who has just come back from near Phuket i'd be thinking about going sans wife.

May be a bad score, wife zero, she male one.
Old 24-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
russxr67
I hate ricers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always seems to post good advice and is pretty helpful. 

Been to Phuket 4 times with the missus and once had all three kids in tow,one aged 6 month's at the time.
Always had a great time. People are warm and honest. Food is great and cheap as well.
I usually stay about 5kms out of Patong,either at the Merlin Beach Hotel or at Le Meridian which is exxy but just about shiits on most hotels in Patong. Pool is HUMUNGOUS.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
May be a bad score, wife zero, she male one.
They can't all be packing heat. some of them must be women surely
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Bangkok is a pretty interesting place for travelers. I was there last year.

When booking a place to stay in Bangkok, try to be within 5 min of Khao San road. It is the most popular tourist place. I stayed 1 street away.

I met my friend who arrived the day after me, she booked online and found a well known branded hotel saying that they were 'in the middle of everything'. (She was in the middle of a very boring business district..)

If you are not 5 min from Khao San rd, you are too far from the 'middle of everything'.

This place is where another good friend stayed. Was highly regarded:

http://www.viengtai.co.th/en/

You can get cheaper, much cheaper. But when you convert this back to Aussie dollars it is still a pretty good price.

Khao San day:

Khao San night:

Cheers,

Jason
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #8
scradley_6666
Move, I'm trying to SPEED

Im going to Puket this friday. Staying at Evason Six Senses Spa. I'll let you know how i go, since ive never been before. I've been to bangkok though and there pineapple pies from mcdonalds are awesome. Better than apple i swear. But all in all it wasnt bad but ive been now and shouldnt need to go again, unless im 50 and needed some lovin cause i cant get any... but anywho... should be fun this friday...
scradley_6666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #9
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

I go to Bangkok 3 times a year with work. Great place.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
Pouki
Crusin

hey mate...
i just got back from phuket 1 and a half months ago and i have to say it was awesome!!! i spent new years there and the weather was great...

i spoke to a few of the locals and they said that the wet season is a good time to go as it isnt too hot and it is much more comfortable.

i stayed in karon (the pleasent area) which is about 15 mins from patong (the crazy area). it was good to get away from patong... i found it a little annoying in patong with the amount of people you get wanting you to buy from them etc etc... so it might be good to stay away from the hustle and bustle!!!

you will enjoy yourself...

cheers mate
Pouki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:28 AM   #11
gu4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
I usually stay about 5kms out of Patong,either at the Merlin Beach Hotel

Stayed there too - can highly recommend it.

Cheers

Dan

Current Drive: 2009 Audi S3 Sportback in Black
gu4800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:32 AM   #12
discus177

I've been to Bangkok, i didn't personally like it, though HongKong i found a pleasure to travel to, highly recommended.
-4.1L
-Extractors, 2.5' Exhaust - Black Interior
-Resprayed original Pine & Lime, GT Blackouts!

1994 Mazda 323 Astina Hardtop-2.0L V6 24 Valve DOHC
-Lowered
-Sports Exhaust :
discus177 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:39 AM   #13
Cookie-XR8
SKID IT

my wife went to bangkok so i told her to phuket

sorry :( had to say it

BF XR6T Ute - 422rwhp tuned by FPT Toowoomba

Where the boost junkies hang out -Forced Ford Forums
Cookie-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

i was born in thailand and i haven't been back :

those pics make wanna go now

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #15
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im going to Bangkok and Pattaya in April.

Looking forward to good times, Seeing Family and enjoying the cheap shopping/living.

Also a tip for any singles there, check for an Adams apple, easiest way to tell...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been to Bangkok once and didn't like it. Been to Phuket a number of times.

By far, the best played we stayed was the Patong Merlin, Followed by the Baan Thai.

Try to stay on Patong. This will cut down on the Tuk Tuk rides going back and forth. Theres are nice hotels there. Aussie Dollar not as good as it was. You'll enjoy it. Night life is pretty good as well.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #17
ogtrip
Starter Motor

Going to Phuket next wednesday staying at the sunset beach resort in Patong for 4 nights followed by the cheba somui resort in Koh Somui for 6 nights. Going to the Full Moon Party in Koh Pa Nang on March 10th. should be interesting.
Old 25-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogtrip
Going to Phuket next wednesday staying at the sunset beach resort in Patong for 4 nights followed by the cheba somui resort in Koh Somui for 6 nights. Going to the Full Moon Party in Koh Pa Nang on March 10th. should be interesting.
Sunset Beach Resort was on my list, so would be good to hear about.

I was also considering the Amora Beach Resort at Bang Tao beach - a bit away from the hussle and bussle of Patong, but we can cope with that.

Have a great time ogtrip!
Old 25-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #19
Tobey
BF Ute...

Been to Phuket 5 times and probably wouldn't go back. Its become a lot dirtier and sleazier since i first went in 2000.

Best place i have stayed at was the baan thai was quite nice, had three pools and friendly staff.

Its now full of fat old men running around with young thai girls and also plenty of yobo's.

Still its an experience to be had and would recommend going there at least once.

P.S Everytime i have been is the may-june-july period and the daily downpours are all right as it doesn't get cold. Plus you dont have all the school kids if you avoid the holiday period and everything is a lot cheaper too.
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #20
Matty4
Banana

We're heading to Phuket via Hong Kong next Friday week. Been to Phuket twice, first time in '92 then again for honeymoon in '95. Also stayed both times at the Patong Merlin. This time round we're staying at Karon Beach at the Ramada as we've heard that it's a little bit more of a kid friendly area than Patong. My kids are 10, 7 & 5 and we're travelling with friends whose kids are 11 & 8.

I think you'll find it a fun place wherever you go. Koh Samui is also nice, stayed there on honeymoon too.
Old 25-02-2009, 11:50 AM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

One place, Id love to go is Phi Phi Island where the 'Beach' movie was filmed. That island looks like bliss. Love to snorkel there one day.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
One place, Id love to go is Phi Phi Island where the 'Beach' movie was filmed. That island looks like bliss. Love to snorkel there one day.

Beautiful place to snorkel, the whole area around Phi Phi are high cliffs with clear water, an awesome place.
Visiting the Viking cave on the same day trip is well worth it, ancient paintings on the walls done by Vikings are incredible.
Old 25-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
russxr67
I hate ricers

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always seems to post good advice and is pretty helpful. 

For those about to go I can highly recommend the sea kayaking where they take you into the caves. Absolutely awesome.

Pattaya is like a larger version of Patong only sleazier. My wife and I were walking down the street and one of the locals asked if we wanted to see the "rat in pussy Show".
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
ogtrip
Starter Motor

Quote:
My wife and I were walking down the street and one of the locals asked if we wanted to see the "rat in pussy Show".
Well.....?
Old 25-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #25
ogtrip
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinch
Sunset Beach Resort was on my list, so would be good to hear about.

I was also considering the Amora Beach Resort at Bang Tao beach - a bit away from the hussle and bussle of Patong, but we can cope with that.

Have a great time ogtrip!
I've never been before but i'm assuming you probably couldn't go to far wrong with where ever you stayed. Obviously using a bit of common sense here, avoiding back alley hotels with bath tubs pre-filled with ice.

I'll report back.
Old 25-02-2009, 01:39 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
For those about to go I can highly recommend the sea kayaking where they take you into the caves. Absolutely awesome.

Pattaya is like a larger version of Patong only sleazier. My wife and I were walking down the street and one of the locals asked if we wanted to see the "rat in pussy Show".
pics? j/k

i have heard some wierd a gross stories about those shows involving darts, ping pong balls and octopusses. :

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey
Been to Phuket 5 times and probably wouldn't go back. Its become a lot dirtier and sleazier since i first went in 2000.
That's the feeling I got. I've been going many times and always stay on Patong (except one time). My very first time to Patong Beach was 1981. A lot has changed in 28 years. Mum and dad have some photo's from then. Beach Road was a dirt Road, all the Bars were up near the Bridge. The road back from Beach road didn't eixist. Only rice fields and farmning land. I remember the water buffalo's. :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #28
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
pics? j/k

i have heard some wierd a gross stories about those shows involving darts, ping pong balls and octopusses. :

Its the sort of stuff tourists go and see, then wish they never saw it.

Anything for a tourist buck, if there is a market for it, there is a supplier.

Pattaya is getting sleazier, the secret is getting out and the lonely people do take advantage. Still its not hard to turn a blind eye and stay out of the Go Go bars..

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #29
blueoval
Critical Thinker

and lady boys. eeew

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 25-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #30
scradley_6666
Move, I'm trying to SPEED

This thread has become very interesting for me as i leave this friday for phuket.... I'm lookin forward to phi phi island and the sea kayaks already got those tours pre-booked... I'll let you know how i go...
scradley_6666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post